Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,750 members, 7,831,400 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 06:12 PM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? - Travel (90) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? (1382949 Views)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) (93) ... (402) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by ogonnan: 4:07am On Aug 12, 2014
IyaTwins84: I used gwinnett medical. My Bill is almost seven thousand. I had twins tho. And took epidural and circumcised my son at the hospital. If u avoid all these. Ur bill will be really low.

Hi @iyatwins.... congrats on your babies (lol@avoid all these. who wants to avoid twins biko?).
Did the 7thou include doctor's fees? or was that just for the hospital? i thought the circumcision was usually done by the doctor's office and not the hospital? also, how far along were you and did you have to do any labs?
thanks...
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by bestie101: 10:09am On Aug 12, 2014
IyaTwins84: I used gwinnett medical. My Bill is almost seven thousand. I had twins tho. And took epidural and circumcised my son at the hospital. If u avoid all these. Ur bill will be really low.

congrats on Ur twins. pls I would like to know, at how many weeks did u give birth? I'm carrying twins too and I heard twins usually come BTW 32 to 34 weeks. I don't know how true it is but I don't want to risk anything so I'll be travelling when I'm 31 weeks.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by anonymousmum: 10:25am On Aug 12, 2014
bestie101:
congrats on Ur twins. pls I would like to know, at how many weeks did u give birth? I'm carrying twins too and I heard twins usually come BTW 32 to 34 weeks. I don't know how true it is but I don't want to risk anything so I'll be travelling when I'm 31 weeks.

Hi Bestie,

With twins some airlines would not let you fly past 28 weeks o! You might want to check the airline policies for exact no of weeks for twins.

Just my two cents.

BTW the Houston crew seem to be growing!
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by amash(f): 12:01pm On Aug 12, 2014
hmm houston....#thinking#
am a first time mum and havent even started my antenatal. am four month gone....still choosy on what hospital here in abuja for ante natal and what state in the u.s for delivery....
i guess am not on track! someone scold me please....
my work schedule is tight though.....#smh#
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by bestie101: 12:40pm On Aug 12, 2014
anonymousmum:

Hi Bestie,

With twins some airlines would not let you fly past 28 weeks o! You might want to check the airline policies for exact no of weeks for twins.

Just my two cents.

BTW the Houston crew seem to be growing!

*puts hands on head*
they should please o... where will I put all my work and business at 28 weeks..

I will check those airlines though
thank you very much
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by bestie101: 1:01pm On Aug 12, 2014
I've checked the airlines. KLM, virgin Atlantic, Iberia, British airways, Lufthansa, and united...

all said they wont allow pregnancy of multiples after 32 weeks..
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by vcole: 1:56pm On Aug 12, 2014
amash: hmm houston....#thinking#
am a first time mum and havent even started my antenatal. am four month gone....still choosy on what hospital here in abuja for ante natal and what state in the u.s for delivery....
i guess am not on track! someone scold me please....
my work schedule is tight though.....#smh#
Good day Nairalanders!
Amash, it's okay. You should start antenatal though,you have to make time for your baby bust schedule or not.. I also delayed in making up my mind about where to deliver.
Only submitted my visa app about 3 weeks ago.
Had my interview today.
It was easy breezy.thanks to God and thanks to this forum.
The visa officer asked why I was traveling and I told him to have my baby.
He asked if I had contacted any hospital, I said yes and he asked to see any doc showing that, I gave him d letter.
He asked what I do, I'm not working at d moment and so I told him.
He asked what my husband does, I told him
He asked what d cost of d trip was, I gave him a spread sheet and then he asked to see bank statements, I showed him.
Then he said my.visa has been approved and I should ensure I keep all my receipts "forever and ever"
I laughed and said thanks.
All of this took about 3-5mins.
A couple of people were rejected when I was there, including another pregnant lady.
I believe she didn't come out straight to say she was gonna have her baby there, the.VO had to drag it outta her.
All in.all,I'm grateful to God and all of you who helped with your tips.

9 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by amash(f): 2:10pm On Aug 12, 2014
thanx vcole... where was your ante natal?
vcole:
Good day Nairalanders!
Amash, it's okay. You should start antenatal though,you have to make time for your baby bust schedule or not.. I also delayed in making up my mind about where to deliver.
Had my interview today.
It was easy breezy.thanks to God and thanks to this forum.
The visa officer asked why I was traveling and I told him to have my baby.
He asked if I had contacted any hospital, I said yes and he asked to see any doc showing that, I gave him d letter.
He asked what I do, I'm not working at d moment and so I told him.
He asked what my husband does, I told him
He asked what d cost of d trip was, I gave him a spread sheet and then he asked to see bank statements, I showed him.
Then he said my.visa has been approved and I should ensure I keep all my receipts "forever and ever"
I laughed and said thanks.
All of this took about 3-5mins.
A couple of people were rejected when I was there, including another pregnant lady.
I believe she didn't come out straight to say she was gonna have her baby there, the.VO had to drag it outta her.
All in.all,I'm grateful to God and all of you who helped with your tips.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 2:24pm On Aug 12, 2014
Vcole, congrats.

Where did you have your interview? Lag or Abj?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by vcole: 2:52pm On Aug 12, 2014
Phema: Vcole, congrats.

Where did you have your interview? Lag or Abj?
Lagos
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 2:56pm On Aug 12, 2014
vcole:
Lagos

cool. Did you go alone?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by kuzeh: 2:56pm On Aug 12, 2014
Congrats! !!!!!
Good day Nairalanders!
Had my interview today.
It was easy breezy.thanks to God and
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by naijamumcarephx(f): 3:32pm On Aug 12, 2014
The DS 3053 - Parental Consent Form for American passport application. I've seen too many mums have heartaches over this form because of mistakes with the dates.
Pls tell the father of the baby to take a moment to check ALL THE DATES are correctly filled while he is still with the notary to avoid costly couriers payment.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by vcole: 4:24pm On Aug 12, 2014
Phema:

cool. Did you go alone?
Yeah. Hubby already has a visa.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by fowopere: 4:36pm On Aug 12, 2014
Hello house. I'm applying for my VISA with my son and hubby. What chances do you think I have? Should I have applied alone? The interview just terrifies me right now. We are frequent flyers to the UK and my hubby to other countries.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by anonymousmum: 5:45pm On Aug 12, 2014
bestie101: I've checked the airlines. KLM, virgin Atlantic, Iberia, British airways, Lufthansa, and united...

all said they wont allow pregnancy of multiples after 32 weeks..

Ah, my bad, sorry for the false alarm...
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by anonymousmum: 5:50pm On Aug 12, 2014
Please general question to the house....

I hope to be in Houston in Dec; is it too early to buy my ticket? I am thinking because it will be high season in Dec I dont want to carry all my hard earned money and give to airline...I would be travelling with my mum and am very cost conscious right now...

Also My mum's UK visa has expired, would she require a transit visa through the UK? I want to use BA that's why I ask. I hear about a transit visa for UK but the UK website was not clear on it it would be required or not.

Also at what point in the pregnancy should one inform the embassy; I'm thinking 3rd trimester ( I have a visa which I have used before so I want to inform them of the change in plans...)

Thanks house smiley
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by naijamumcarephx(f): 6:08pm On Aug 12, 2014
This article by This Day was published Feb 2013.
It should help dismiss some US Visa fears and myths.

US Embassy Outlines Condition for Baby Delivery in the US

Contrary to the widely held notions in the polity that to deliver a baby in the United States, a pregnant woman has to conceal her pregnancy during her visa interview and while entering the US, or she has to travel before her pregnancy starts to show, the US Embassy has clarified that it is okay to decide to have a baby in the country.
This is against the backdrop of the practice where some Nigerians deliberately lie during visa interviews in their bid to secure automatic US citizenship for their children.

The Embassy outlined some conditions which have to be met before such a visa which falls under medical tourism category is issued.

This it said, is necessary to encourage applicants to be truthful during visa interviews.
One: The applicant has to show proof of available funds of at least $140,000 (about N22 million) to pay medical fees, and secondly, the applicant has to show proof of the need for medical attention in the US such as high risk pregnancy and the likes.
US Embassy Chief of Consular Section, Ms. Carol Cox, in an interview with select journalists in Abuja, yesterday disclosed that it would cost at least $60,000 to have a baby in the US.

In instances where complications arise from the delivery, the medical bills may go as high as $140,000.
Availability of the funds, Cox said is very important as it is necessary to ensure that American taxpayers do not have to pay such bills.
"We owe the American public who pay taxes to make sure that those who seek medical services in the US pay for such services. This is essential because there are those who have the money and are not willing to pay.
"It is very frustrating when you see a woman who is obviously pregnant, sometimes seven months gone, tell you during a visa interview that she is just going to the US for a vacation," she said.

Commenting on the fate of those who have incurred bans in the process of visa applications, Cox said while they are allowed to appeal, the outcome would be determined by the gravity of what incurred the ban in the first instance.
She added that it would be difficult for such appeals to come through in instances of fraud.
"It is important for applicants to be truthful because if there is any discrepancy in what you say and what you have written in your form, your credibility is gone," she said.

Speaking on visa wait times, the embassy has reduced the wait times from six weeks to 30 days for applicants in Abuja, and to 21 days for applicants in Lagos, she disclosed.

Public Affairs Officer of the Embassy, Ms. Debra MacLean reiterated that the visa is not a guarantee that an applicant would enter the US.
"If the applicant is found to have materially misrepresented his purpose of visit, the immigration officer at the airport may refuse him or her entry. This officer is the one who really determines who enters the US," she clarified.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by bestie101: 7:11pm On Aug 12, 2014
anonymousmum:

Ah, my bad, sorry for the false alarm...

na.. it wasn't a false alarm.. it says anyone travelling with multiples after 28 weeks must carry a letter from her doctor stating that the woman is fit to fly and has no complications and it must be signed within 72 hours prior to flying.

I'm just scared the babies don't come earlier than expected.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Web005: 7:14pm On Aug 12, 2014
Mrsfad2014: @ Ozycy, Thanks so much for the information, am really grateful. Can you advise on the Doctors fee? I planned to use doctor La. Also do you think they will accept all my medical laboratory tests from Nigeria hospital (Reddington)? Regards.

@Mrsfad2014 I plan using Dr la in December, they listed the test result you can bring from nigeria in their email. So check the lab list sent to you.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by anonymousmum: 10:19pm On Aug 12, 2014
fingers crossed smiley

bestie101:

na.. it wasn't a false alarm.. it says anyone travelling with multiples after 28 weeks must carry a letter from her doctor stating that the woman is fit to fly and has no complications and it must be signed within 72 hours prior to flying.

I'm just scared the babies don't come earlier than expected.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by cfcchick: 11:27pm On Aug 12, 2014
Hello everybody. ....I had my 1st baby in Chicago (UIC) CS, paid 14k. Now am expecting but intend goin to Atlanta. Pls can some1 pls give me a link to a doctor in this Gwinnett hospital or any other cheaper one in Atlanta. Thank u guys
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by IjayMama: 3:32am On Aug 13, 2014
@Weaseloo- they take patients up to 36wks. And I flew united, they let u fly up until ur nineth month.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Tvegas(m): 8:19am On Aug 13, 2014
naijamumcarephx: This article by This Day was published Feb 2013.
It should help dismiss some US Visa fears and myths.
US Embassy Outlines Condition for Baby Delivery in the USA

One: Ms. Carol Cox, in an interview with select journalists in Abuja, yesterday disclosed that it would cost at least[b] $60,000 [/b] to have a baby in the USA

Nice article but am I reading right? How many applicants appear at the embassy with a bank statement balance of $60k ? If people can shell out 60k, then why so much hustle for el paso, whmc and mihc on this thread. Lmao

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 8:34am On Aug 13, 2014
Tvegas:
Nice article but am I reading right? How many applicants appear at the embassy with a bank statement balance of $60k ? If people can shell out 60k, then why so much hustle for el paso, whmc and mihc on this thread. Lmao

Oh please, don't believe anything you read up there. That article was published last year and people have been getting birthing visas with as low as 10-15k dols from that time till now.

$60k indeed! grin

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by anonymousmum: 9:18am On Aug 13, 2014
Hi Ijaymama,

I called Methodist Houston Sugarland, they transferred me from one department to another to no avail - no one was able to give me a quote.

I know that you have posted the prices for the hospital here but I just wanted to get confirmation from them directly...

Do you have a number I can call to speak to the relevant person who can give me these quotes?

thanks for your time smiley
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Laura4u(f): 1:55pm On Aug 13, 2014
Hello all, I am new to this forum and also planning to give birth in the US by end of January, 2015.I am looking for contacts of hospital/birth center with affordable prices and hotel accommodation nearest to the hospital.

Thanks and God bless
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by nefertitiram: 2:47pm On Aug 13, 2014
Laura4u: Hello all, I am new to this forum and also planning to give birth in the US by end of January, 2015.I am looking for contacts of hospital/birth center with affordable prices and hotel accommodation nearest to the hospital.

Thanks and God bless

MIHS, phoenix arizona is the cheapest so far - $2888 for normal delivery, including doctors fees, $4200 for CS

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by shelly23: 5:05pm On Aug 13, 2014
Please has anyone renewed their visa through drop box and stated they were going to have a baby? I'm eligible for drop box, but I need to be sure i can state that I want to have my baby and include the relevant documents without jeopardizing my chances.

The other option would be to go to the embassy in person, but by then, I'll be almost 7 months pregnant, not sure I want to do that.

Please advise, thanks.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by naijamumcarephx(f): 5:08pm On Aug 13, 2014
Tvegas:

I think people that find this forum are blessed. There are people out there who have no clue and have possibly paid that amount.
The key is doing your research and knowing your facts when you go to the Embassy.
They want to see that you are prepared financially for any unforseen incidences because it is not fair that you expect to use tax payers money. I think the moral of the article is do your research, be truthful and make sure the financial statements you show at the Embassy cover your accommodation, hospital bills, living expenses and any unforseen incidences or childbirth complications as well.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Grateful2014: 6:23pm On Aug 13, 2014
Don't know a lot about ticketing, so can't help. However, I think ticket to the US in the range of N280k - N330 will be reasonable.

On UK transit visa, no you do not need it if flying BA. I know this may be difficult to believe, I checked their website at the time and also wrote British deputy high commission in Lagos. UK boarder agency's site said no, Embassy said yes, so had to fly separately with my sis at the time. But when I flew, we didn't go through immigration, so I was comfortable buying a BA ticket for my mum later.

On when to notify embassy, will say asap. I notified the embassy November last year and didn't travel till end of April this year.

anonymousmum: Please general question to the house....

I hope to be in Houston in Dec; is it too early to buy my ticket? I am thinking because it will be high season in Dec I dont want to carry all my hard earned money and give to airline...I would be travelling with my mum and am very cost conscious right now...

Also My mum's UK visa has expired, would she require a transit visa through the UK? I want to use BA that's why I ask. I hear about a transit visa for UK but the UK website was not clear on it it would be required or not.

Also at what point in the pregnancy should one inform the embassy; I'm thinking 3rd trimester ( I have a visa which I have used before so I want to inform them of the change in plans...)

Thanks house smiley

(1) (2) (3) ... (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) (93) ... (402)

General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.