Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,498 members, 7,812,539 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:00 PM

Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate (11920 Views)

Buhari Boycotts Presidential Debate / Gusau Did Not Attend Katsina College With Buhari – Fani-Kayode / Breaking News;jonathan Did Not Complete His Ph.d Course- Obasanjo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Kobojunkie: 3:23am On Mar 21, 2011
That was also explained right at the beginning of the debate.
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by fxtopedia(m): 6:44am On Mar 21, 2011
What a paltry excuses! Nonsense lipsrsealed
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by rhymz(m): 6:57am On Mar 21, 2011
Akainzo:

You are a not-so-smart person! You have only posted up here that BON has NEVER organised a presidential debate but rather have always proposed one!
So to you, an organisation that has never done something should be respected and waited upon, than one that has put all plans in place to do one and has even done the Vice-Presidential debate. Cmon man, you can do better than this!
You are just another stray clueless hater that argues without facts and understanding of what is being argued. I wont waste my time indulging you, you probably don't know jack about the debate history of Nigeria.
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Kobojunkie: 6:59am On Mar 21, 2011
[size=14pt]ROFLMAO!!!![/size] grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by rhymz(m): 7:03am On Mar 21, 2011
oolumide:

In a statement by the Jonathan/Sambo Campaign Organisation, signed by Mr. Ide Eguabor, director of media/publicity, the president said that he opted out of the debate because he had accepted to attend the one organized by the Nigerian Election Debate Group (NEDG), an amalgamation of the Nigeria’s mass media, the Newspaper Proprietors Association of Nigeria (NPAN), the Broadcasting Organisation of Nigeria (BON), the Nigeria Bar Association, National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS), market women and other civil society groups, which has been organising the presidential debate series since 1999.

Sagamite
It is intellectually futile engaging in needless semantics; you know very well that at no point it was implied by the GEJ/Sambo group that the debate was going to be entirely organized by BON, it has always been a coalition effort of different Nigerian media groups of which BON is part of and the most recognized hence the repeated mention in place of NEDG.
And please dont tell me these guys have not been organizing it cos I remember vividly in 2003 Jim Nwobodo VS Okotie at least, of the numerous debates. Yes, In 1999 Obasanjo did not show up for a debate with the very articulatr Olu Falae but in 2003, he did show up for a debate with Buhari who did not show up. Obasanjo ended up debating with himself in 2003.
In 2007, it was even widespread cos we had the likes of Pat Utomi who wowed us with very articulate programs, he literaly had the whole floor to himself. Same with Okotie as well. Yaradua was scheduled to slug it out with Buhari but we know how that turned out too.
So what exactly do you mean by they have never organized a debate. I think your grouse or grouch is realy misplaced, NN24 is just another TV station in the media business, you can't compare their reach, coverage, experience and media standind with that of the NEDG and if the GEJ campaign group saw it that way and pulled out, it is their prerogative and nobody can flaw them on that one, FACT!
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Kobojunkie: 7:05am On Mar 21, 2011
There was likely no presidential debate in Nigeria in 2003, or 2007, and I remember we debated this issue back in 2007.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-18446.0.html

I know that Yar adua never showed his face to answer questions on what his administration intended, until after the elections.
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by dayokanu(m): 7:16am On Mar 21, 2011
Simply because they didnt give him the questions ahead of time
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by rhymz(m): 8:29am On Mar 21, 2011
Yeah it is easy to conveniently suggest so as it helps your argument but sorry to puncture your souffle, there was a televised debate in 2007. I watched that of Pat Utomi vs Buhari on AIT. In 2003, I watched that of Okotie vs Jim Nwobodo and the one OBJ did alone, could not keep up with the rest cos in 2003 we had about 21 presidential candidates and many of them were paired up. So, Ask Nigerians that live in Nigeria, just because you could not watch it on youtube or DSTV does not mean it did not happen. I even remember the one with the very funny and clownish Sunny Okogwu in 2007 who was talking like a clown and was even dressed like one.
I remember laughing like mad at the man's countenance and replies
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by stildude(m): 10:33am On Mar 21, 2011
:-x
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by ficoram(m): 10:38am On Mar 21, 2011
What?
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by omanzo02: 12:00pm On Mar 21, 2011
Sagamite:

No wonder Nigeria has the industrial development it has.

No wonder it is highly likely your experience is untransferable out of Nigeria.

Sagamite,

All u know how to do is criticised, call names and throw stones as if your life depend on it.

Let me inform your clueless head, I work for a reputable bulk storage (silo's), Robots and conveyors contruction and installation firm in Belgium, We have load of customers in Nigeria and all over the world, my team and I have executed projects in Nigeria (as expatriates) , During installations I usually recommend the assistance of the technicians of our customers so that they would have an in-depth understanding of our products and after installation we train them to handle the equipments on their own, So doing they don't have to rely on us in maintenance, repair and renovations.

You can see that as a NigerianBelgian I have been able to transfer my technological ability to my country of origin.

so tell us your countribution other than spewing rubbish on NL?.
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by sley4life(m): 12:09pm On Mar 21, 2011
vry busy
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Kobojunkie: 1:53pm On Mar 21, 2011
You would think, even on the NDEG site, there would be some real evidence of this 2003, or even the 2007 Presidential debates. In the age of YouTube, and google, it is shocking that not a claim of such magnitude cannot, to this minute be substantiated with video links or at least news paper coverages of this debate or anything else. I mean I wonder why I can search and find speeches and tv shows from back in the 80's online but in all, this 2003 and 2007 presidential debates seem nowhere online grin grin grin grin

Anyone found a link to these debates that many Nigerians do not even seem to know took place?
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by ochukoccna: 2:02pm On Mar 21, 2011
dayokanu:

Simply because they didnt give him the questions ahead of time

EXPO PRESIDENT? grin grin grin grin
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Halogen50(m): 2:10pm On Mar 21, 2011
About all this presidential debate brouhaha, which one is more credible; attending a presidential debate organised by NN24 or an interview anchored by D'banj?
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Arkhin(m): 3:06pm On Mar 21, 2011
If he likes he should attend the one organised by whoever, power must change hands.
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by konkolok: 3:11pm On Mar 21, 2011
It will take total blindness to vote for the PDP in 2011. Only 4 sets of people can vote for the PDP in 2011:

(1) those who are intellectually blind.

(2) those who are blinded by ethnicity

(3) those who are blinded by corruption and therefore afraid of the unknown, should power change hands; and finally

(4) those who are suffering from a combination of the above 4 terminal sicknesses" , Prof.Wole Soyinka.

After the debate.
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Akainzo(m): 4:38pm On Mar 21, 2011
rhymz:

You are just another stray clueless hater that argues without facts and understanding of what is being argued. I wont waste my time indulging you, you probably don't know jack about the debate history of Nigeria.
You aint got nothing, nada, zilch facts to show that there has ever been a Presidential debat organised by NEDG. EVen they themselves cannot claim that! I don't know jack ko, the jack you know is definitely a figment of your imagination.

rhymz:

Sagamite
It is intellectually futile engaging in needless semantics; you know very well that at no point it was implied by the GEJ/Sambo group that the debate was going to be entirely organized by BON, it has always been a coalition effort of different Nigerian media groups of which BON is part of and the most recognized hence the repeated mention in place of NEDG.
And please dont tell me these guys have not been organizing it cos I remember vividly in 2003 Jim Nwobodo VS Okotie at least, of the numerous debates. Yes, In 1999 Obasanjo did not show up for a debate with the very articulatr Olu Falae but in 2003, he did show up for a debate with Buhari who did not show up. Obasanjo ended up debating with himself in 2003.
In 2007, it was even widespread cos we had the likes of Pat Utomi who wowed us with very articulate programs, he literaly had the whole floor to himself. Same with Okotie as well. Yaradua was scheduled to slug it out with Buhari but we know how that turned out too.
So what exactly do you mean by they have never organized a debate. I think your grouse or grouch is realy misplaced, NN24 is just another TV station in the media business, you can't compare their reach, coverage, experience and media standind with that of the NEDG and if the GEJ campaign group saw it that way and pulled out, it is their prerogative and nobody can flaw them on that one, FACT!

You must be confusing an interview with a presidential debate. Kai, you must be kinda dense to say BON is part of a media house. cheesy cheesy To educate you, BON is an umbrella body of media houses.
There has never been a debate in Nigeria, you can google it, you can research it, you'd come out with zilch. Do not attempt to fool us that know much more than you. Imagine you are comparing the reach of a news media house to NEDG which is just an NGO, you are definitely not improving in knowledge.
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Nobody: 4:42pm On Mar 21, 2011
that excuse is stupid.  even if you don't have access to NN24, media outlets do, and you can be sure as you are reading the words on this screen that there would have been coverage, so GEJ should have appeared.  he couldn't possibly have done any worse than the 3 candidates that were up there.
again, i repeat-nigeria is in SERIOUS trouble.  do you really want any of those fools to represent you in national and international affairs!?!??!  
buhari and ribadu-2 fools that can't even answer simple questions, along with our friend with sharia law in hand and a president who was too busy with the kokomaster to show up.
SMH.  all parties should start from scratch and bring intelligent people that can (1) show up to important events and (2) answer simple questions.  
if i ask, "how are you going to quell corruption in this country?" DO NOT respond with, "yes, corruption is bad."  WTF?!?!?
they all lack basic skills.  mr. sharia law actually answered about 2-3 questions appropriately and is therefore the winner of the debate, but there is no way he would get my vote.
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Nobody: 4:45pm On Mar 21, 2011
Quote from: Newscaster on March 19, 2011, 12:35 AM
NN24 is seen only on cable in Nigeria - it doesnt have a national coverage - you have to be on DSTV to get it. How many people have DSTV in Nigeria?

Come on. Use your brain cells.
Facebook is seen only ONLINE in Nigeria--- that has not stopped the president from using that as his MAJOR channel for reaching the Nigerian people.

I don't get the many excuses . . . really!

+1
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Nobody: 5:02pm On Mar 21, 2011
Lets be fair to the man. Even in the USA, there is often just ONE presidential debate each for (I think) TV and radio audiences. It should be THE presidential debate, not A presidential debate. I don't think it would make much sense for a busy president to be jumping about from one inconsequential debate to another. I don't think when Obama seeks re-election in about two years time you would see him junketing aimlessly from one debate forganized by CNN to another organized by FOX, to that of ABC and then NBC. It's usually ONE key debate. The other candidates can indulge in endless debates if they so please; they are after all the ones trying to unseat the incumbent. No one can force the NN24 debate down the president's thraot considering that the station is relatively unknown and cannot claim to represent the Nigerian media.

Again in terms of the D'banj interview, the president - just like any other candidate - is free to choose which interview to grant and on what medium. You would recall that many presidential candidates in the US (including Obama) used to grant interviews to people like Jay Leno, Jon Stewart, David Letterman, Oprah, Larry King, etc etc. Indeed a presidential candidate may even choose to grant an interview to the eccentric Jerry Springer if he decides that would help him reach a peculiar demographic. These things are entirely discretionary and as such should not serve as basis for unnecessary criticism.

this is true, actually. all the television stations carry the 3 presidential debates and the 1 vice presidential debate. nobody organizes their individual debates by station. that would be absurd.
HOWEVER, obviously, someone in the GEJ administration told NN24 he was coming because they expected him to be there, which was one of the reasons they started so late. plus, it would have been a good opportunity once and for all to see what GEJ's plans actually are, rather than relying on incomplete and shoddy reporting. he disrespected nigerians by not showing up to the debate. honor your commitments at the very least.
how hard can it be to debate 3 fools?
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Ofuks(m): 5:30pm On Mar 21, 2011
d ;d ;d

Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Sagamite(m): 5:43pm On Mar 21, 2011
omanzo02:

Sagamite,

All u know how to do is criticised, call names and throw stones as if your life depend on it.

Let me inform your clueless head, I work for a reputable bulk storage (silo's), Robotic and conveyor contruction and installation firm in Belgium, We have load of customers in Nigeria and all over the world, my team and I have executed projects in Nigeria (as expatriates) , During installations I usually recommend the assistance of the technicians of our customers so that they would have an understanding of our product and after installation we train them to handle the equipments on their own, So doing they don't have to rely on us in maintenance, repair and renovations.

You can see that as a NigerianBelgian I have been able to transfer my technological ability to my country of origin.

Wow! I am "so impressed"!  grin

omanzo02:

so tell us your countribution other than spewing rubbish on NL?.

Don't go there, mate! You are guaranteed to lose.

Me and you no dey for the same o catego.

Someone with a good heart and pity for a fellow man please warn him not to go down that road.

rhymz:

Sagamite
It is intellectually futile engaging in needless semantics; you know very well that at no point it was implied by the GEJ/Sambo group that the debate was going to be entirely organized  by BON, it has always been a coalition effort of different Nigerian media groups of which BON is part of and the most recognized hence the repeated mention in place of NEDG.

[flash=400,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DL1yfQFa4o[/flash]

So BON's presidential debate organisation:

In 1999 - Obasanjo did not show up, so there was no debate.

In 2003 - Obasanjo debated with himself, so there was no debate.

In 2007 - None of the major contestants showed up, so the no-hopers debated and there is even no clip existing today of it.

And that is the only organisation Silverback Gorilla deems fit and the only one to organise a presidential debate he would attend? That makes sense to you?

Mate, you have no clip to show of ANY of BON's presidential debates and but yet question the credibility, experience, reach, coverage and media standing of NN24 that is widely available for both VP and P debates? Is that a bloody joke?

Don't apply such logical "umblerah" on me.
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Sagamite(m): 5:45pm On Mar 21, 2011
Ofuks:

d ;d ;d

Asuquo is the fcking greatest cartoonist in Nigeria.  grin grin grin grin grin

GENIUS! grin

My new profile pix. cheesy
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by mbulela: 10:55pm On Mar 21, 2011
the other aspirants would be stupid to pitch for the BON debate.
allow him to have the stage to himself and maybe he can have Dbanj join him again and they can amuse themselves once more.
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by omanzo02: 11:04pm On Mar 21, 2011
Sagamite:

Don't go there, mate! You are guaranteed to lose.

Me and you no dey for the same o catego.

Someone with a good heart and pity for a fellow man please warn him not to go down that road.

Dude, if u can't stand a simple question then I wonder what a forum is all about, because u are a forum moderetor does'nt give u the right to thug-threaten me, ok. my life does'nt depends on NL.  shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Sagamite(m): 1:56am On Mar 22, 2011
omanzo02:

Dude, if u can't stand a simple question then I wonder what a forum is all about, because u are a forum moderetor does'nt give u the right to thug-threaten me, ok. my life does'nt depends on NL.  shocked shocked shocked shocked

I am thug-threatening you by nicely and kindly saying you should not start a gasconade you can't win? grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by mamagee3(f): 2:05am On Mar 22, 2011
Sagamite:

~ kiss kiss kiss kiss~
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Dulcet7(m): 7:42am On Mar 22, 2011
My heart is deeply moved for Nigeria, if we have educated people thinking like some of the posters on this thread. cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

Kobojunkie, Deep Sight and Sagamite thanks for all your posts. They have positively and properly tipped the scales of sanity on this thread. cool
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by sunayo(m): 9:52am On Mar 23, 2011
I watched the repeat of NN24 Presidential debates twice yesterday and concluded the following:

Only a bigot, idiot, religious fanatics will vote Buhari. He flopped in all the questions.

He has not adapt to civilian system of govt, when asked how he will tackle corruption without
violating the rights of the people he had no answer, all he said was nobody can still govt fund
and get away with it.

Anyone who vote Ribadu is hasty, he talks before reasoning.

Jonathan was unavoidably absent.

If presidential election is won by debate, Shekarau is the best candidate.
They guy is brilliant, articulate, humble and experienced. He answered all
the questions convincingly. Those who truly want the best candidate to lead
us should watch the repeat of the debate, throw sentiment aside and follow
your intellect.
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by mbulela: 7:43pm On Mar 23, 2011
sunayo:

I watched the repeat of NN24 Presidential debates twice yesterday and concluded the following:

Only a bigot, , religious fanatics will vote Buhari. He flopped in all the questions.

He has not adapt to civilian system of govt, when asked how he will tackle corruption without
violating the rights of the people he had no answer, all he said was nobody can still govt fund
and get away with it.

Anyone who vote Ribadu is hasty, he talks before reasoning.

Jonathan was unavoidably absent.

If presidential election is won by debate, Shekarau is the best candidate.
They guy is brilliant, articulate, humble and experienced. He answered all
the questions convincingly. Those who truly want the best candidate to lead
us should watch the repeat of the debate, throw sentiment aside and follow
your intellect.

avoidably, you mean.
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Deliving: 7:46pm On Mar 23, 2011
My president cannot attend a kangarol debate. That was a plot to blow him up by the bomb masters. He will attend a popular and well organised debate On NTA AIT Channels tv etc

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Buhari Behind SSS’ Invasion Of Ekiti Assembly – Lawmakers / Senator Obinna Ogba Says Abacha Was ‘A Good Man’ / Food Smuggling: FG Intercepts 141 Grain Trucks, Drivers Threaten Strike.....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.