Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,828 members, 7,810,181 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:41 PM

Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate (12669 Views)

'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo / Why Buhari Rejected Wali As Acting INEC Chairman - PM News / Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Look-Alike (Picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by blackchief(m): 1:42pm On Mar 30, 2011
Now i know that Buhari is the right person for the job. if he had accepted Ngozi, the Obi and Ibb camp would have killed he to make Ngozi the president and from there on, it will business as usual.
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by Kobojunkie: 1:43pm On Mar 30, 2011
There are just so many things wrong with this story -- it is hard not to wonder where it came and why now . . .
ndu_chucks:

This notion that Buhari rejected Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala is quite suspicious.  Other sources claim that it was Ngozi herself who turned down each offer of VP to here. Here is an account given by Ribadu:
Read the rest of the story here:  http://dailytrust.dailytrust.com/index.php?Itemid=104&id=69:its-time-up-for-jonathan-and-pdp&option=com_k2&view=item

Abi oo!!!
sonyvaio:

Why do people think the fact that one is a technocrat, well educated and has integrity
means one wil not be interested in political office when offered on a platter of gold?
Think AKUNYULI, SOLUDO, FEMI PEDRO

Na wa oo!!
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by EzeUche(m): 1:47pm On Mar 30, 2011
Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala should be the one running for president. Not Buhari who is not even in her league. Let us take a look at her impressive biography.

------------------------------------------------------------

Born in June 13, 1954, to Professor Chukuka Okonjo of Ogwashi Uku, Delta State, Dr Okonjo Iweala, who parades an intimidating resume is unarguably the first woman to hold either of those positions. She served as finance minister from July 2003 until her appointment as foreign minister in June 2006, and as foreign minister, until her resignation in August 2006.

Currently serving as as Managing Director of the World Bank, not only does she get royal treatment on the global stage, Okonjo Iweala is of a royal homestead from the Umu Obi Obahai Royal Family of Ogwashi-Uku.

Iweala-Okonjo, who was educated at Harvard University in 1977, earned her Ph.D. in Regional economics and development from the Massaehusetts Institue of Technology. Prior to her ministerial career in Nigeria, she was vice-president and corporate secretary of the World Bank Group. In October 2005, the powerful woman led the Nigerian team that struck a deal with the Paris Club, a group of bilateral creditors, to pay a portion of Nigeria’s external debt (US $12 billion) in return for an $18 billion debt write-off.

She also introduced the practice of publishing each state’s monthly financial allocation from the Federal Government in major Nigerian newspapers. She was instrumental in helping Nigeria obtain its first ever sovereign credit rating.

In 2007, Okonjo-Iweala, whose NGO, NOI Global Consulting, partnered with the Gallup Organisation to introduce an opinion poll, the NOI poll, into the Nigerian polity, is a fellow of the Brookings Institution. She also serves on the Advisory Board of Global Financial Integrity and on the Board of Directors of the World Resources Institute.

The Managing Director of the World Bank has four children. The eldest, Onyinye Iweala received her Ph.D. in Experimental Pathology from Harvard University in 2008 and graduated from Harvard Medical School this year. Her son, Uzodima Iweala, is the author of the critically acclaimed novel Beasts of No Nation which was published in 2005.

Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by Afam4eva(m): 1:50pm On Mar 30, 2011
This woman has an intimidating resume. This should be the kind of people running this country.
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by Kobojunkie: 1:51pm On Mar 30, 2011
Oh BoY!!!
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by Nobody: 1:52pm On Mar 30, 2011
^^ It is her choice whether to run for presidency or not.

no be by force oh!!
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by Nobody: 1:56pm On Mar 30, 2011
With the way Bakare hero-worships Buhari---- I bet my 2 cents he would be more docile than GEJ during Yar'adua's reign,
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by Nobody: 1:57pm On Mar 30, 2011
With the way Bakare hero-worships Buhari---- I bet my 2 cents he would be more docile than GEJ during Yar'adua's reign,
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by Nobody: 1:57pm On Mar 30, 2011
At least Buhari is a worthy hero
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by naijaking1: 1:57pm On Mar 30, 2011
The best reason Buhari would give for not considering Iweala is that the idea came from OBJ, and that he's suspicious of his political machinations, but given his(Buhari's) past, its very likely he was intimidated by the ladies resume to start with.
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by Afam4eva(m): 1:58pm On Mar 30, 2011
GenBuhari:

^^ It is her choice whether to run for presidency or not.

no be by force oh!!

Is anybody forcing her?
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by EzeUche(m): 1:59pm On Mar 30, 2011
GenBuhari:

Worthy hero? What heroic feats has he done?
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by Nobody: 1:59pm On Mar 30, 2011

Yes an ethno-religious hero to you  grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by KnowAll(m): 2:00pm On Mar 30, 2011
[size=14pt]buhari has the right to choose a vp, and he chose a vp he is comfortable with. not many men love working in close proximity with another man's wife, myself inclusive. I think he made an excellent choice. [/size]
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by Kobojunkie: 2:00pm On Mar 30, 2011
naijaking1:

The best reason Buhari would give for not considering Iweala is that the idea came from OBJ, and that he's suspicious of his political machinations, but given his(Buhari's) past, its very likely he was intimidated by the ladies resume to start with.

That is silly reasoning considering the fact that Buhari let his more informed VP run much of Nigeria during his 20 month stint in office!
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by kasiem(m): 2:04pm On Mar 30, 2011
If not for anything this development has come a long way to tell us the reason why the yorubas are supporting buhari and ribadu. How can some fools like ideylaff and knowall, come out here talk rubbish about a woman who has made us proud? Can u guys compare ur mothers or even any yoruba woman with okonjo and akunyili?
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by md4real(m): 2:05pm On Mar 30, 2011
[size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt]FELLOW EDUCATED ELITES, DOES THIS STORY MAKE ANY SENSE TO YOU?
LOOK AT THE CHARACTERS,

OBASANJO(A STRONG PDP PUNK AND GEJ THIRD FATHER*after his original and IBB*)

telling

NASIR EL RUFAI

to
TELL BUHARI

to

USE NGOZI.

useless thread
[/size][/size][/size][/size]
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by EzeUche(m): 2:06pm On Mar 30, 2011
Of course Buhari would be intimidated by this woman. It is a double edge sword. Not only is she an Igbo, she is an intelligent woman. Many Nigerian men would be intimidated by a woman who has these credentials. She towers over Buhari in every way.

Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala knows how to deal with the West, Nigerian men, and other African states. This woman is our Iron Lady. One day, I hope she runs. I will be in the trenches for her.
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by Nobody: 2:06pm On Mar 30, 2011
Former President Obasanjo had told Mallam Nasir el-Rufai to convince Buhari to substitute Bakare with Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala and that if that was done, both he and Babangida would mobilize support for the Buhari campaign.

El-Rufai got across to Bakare to sell the idea. Bakare bought the idea provided it would make Buhari win, insisting that it was his opportunity to escape from public office which he was never too anxious to get involved in the first place.

In turn, Bakare and El-Rufai met Buhari to sell the idea to him. Bakare spoke first. The choice of Okonjo-Iweala, he said, would be a masterstroke because as a woman, it would attract female votes. Since Buhari was one that signed a decree on gender affirmative action nearly three decades ago, this was a golden chance to give it a practical play. Next, Okonjo-Iweala is an economist, a former finance minister—that gives the campaign a strong economic rooting. As a former external affairs minister and now the managing director of World Bank, she has strong international clout. As Delta Igbo, that solves the Igbo question of not being well represented in the current political dispensation. Finally, if the choice would earn the campaign more support and help Buhari to win, that was the main objective, as far as he was concerned. El-Rufai also delivered Obasanjo’s message as passionately as he could and Buhari listened patiently.

“If you have changed your mind about running with me, then tell me,” Buhari finally spoke. “You are the only one that can make me drop you from the campaign if you have changed your mind.”

Turning to El-Rufai, Bakare narrated, Buhari said, “Give my regards to OBJ.”

i have nothing against Iweala running for president or vp, but why was buhari being pressured to switch candidates at the last minute.

sounds like an attempt to sabotage the campaign though i could be wrong.

wasnt iweala continually shifted from position to position while minister, until she decided to quit and return to the world bank.

so where's the fake love coming from.

and since when do female votes matter in nigeria.

anyway, just my thoughts.

i stand corrected if wrong.
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by Kobojunkie: 2:06pm On Mar 30, 2011
kasiem:

If not for anything this development has come a long way to tell us the reason why the yorubas are supporting buhari and ribadu. How can some fools like ideylaff and knowall, come out here talk rubbish about a woman who has made us proud? C[b]an u guys compare your mothers or even any yoruba woman with okonjo and akunyili?[/b]

What an inane question to ask. undecided undecided
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by Nobody: 2:07pm On Mar 30, 2011
If buhari isn't viewed as a religious zealot in the south, would he have picked Bakare to be his running mate--- We all know Bakare wasn't chosen because of what he has to offer in Buhari's government but to dispel the the view that Buhari isn't one Islamic fanatic--- and from the write up it shows that even Bakare acknowledges that fact that he has nothing to offer if not he wouldn't sell the idea of replacing himself with Iweala to Buhari in the first place.
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by Nobody: 2:08pm On Mar 30, 2011
what kind of mothers are raising the type of nigerian males we see on nairaland.

eg kasiem and some other ones.

one just has to wonder.
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by babadee1(m): 2:09pm On Mar 30, 2011
For goodness sakes! How can anybody see this story as a negative for Buhari? In my opinion it shows that he is principled and sticks with the people he himself has chosen. How is he supposed to trust OBJ? How does he know that this proposal was not a plan by the PDP to destabilize his campaign?
Buhari is the only serious candidate in this election who is his own man. GEJ has a godfather in OBJ. Tinubu is Ribadu's godfather. If you vote for either of those two just know that your vote is going to either OBJ or Tinubu. Buhari is the only one of the lot who will not be manipulated by outside forces.
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by Afam4eva(m): 2:10pm On Mar 30, 2011
babasoty:

If buhari isn't viewed as a religious zealot in the south, would he have picked Bakare to be his running mate--- We all know Bakare wasn't chosen because of what he has to offer in Buhari's government but to dispel the the view that Buhari isn't one Islamic fanatic--- and from the write up it shows that even Bakare acknowledges that fact that he has nothing to offer if not he wouldn't sell the idea of replacing himself with Iweala to Buhari in the first place.

No, he should have picked IBB as his vice. Olodo.
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by EzeUche(m): 2:10pm On Mar 30, 2011
Only an insecure man would be intimidated by a highly educated woman.
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by Nobody: 2:13pm On Mar 30, 2011
Do u blame him?

After all he was falsely accused of being a religious fanatic.

babasoty:

If buhari isn't viewed as a religious zealot in the south, would he have picked Bakare to be his running mate
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by haleonic: 2:13pm On Mar 30, 2011
IBEJU-LEKKI  PLOTS FOR SALE. for more info visit www.haleonicestateagent..com
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by Nobody: 2:14pm On Mar 30, 2011
she compromised herself a lot,if he had chosen her he would have lost a lot of credibility,maybe it would have been laudable to the elite,but to labour she was abhorred with her failed monetization policy and her one fit all economic theories.
she has already been tainted by her stint with the obasanjo regime
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by Nobody: 2:14pm On Mar 30, 2011
No, he should have picked IBB as his vice. Olodo.

Gosh some of you folks got a long way to go--- everything argument has to go with abusive words, and you still cry for change when you can't even change your attitudes to tolerate others view----if you see me for road you fit call me olodo ?
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by naijangel7(f): 2:15pm On Mar 30, 2011
KnowAll:

[size=14pt]buhari has the right to choose a vp, and he chose a vp he is comfortable with. not many men love working in close proximity with another man's wife, myself inclusive. I think he made an excellent choice. [/size]

I doubt very much that this may be Buhari's reason!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by Afam4eva(m): 2:15pm On Mar 30, 2011
babasoty:

Gosh some of you folks got a long way to go--- everything argument has to go with abusive words, and you still cry for change when you can't even change your attitudes to tolerate others view----if you see me for road you fit call me olodo ?

Abeg send me your address.
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by EzeUche(m): 2:17pm On Mar 30, 2011
ehie:

she compromised herself a lot,if he had chosen her he would have lost a lot of credibility,maybe it would have been laudable to the elite,but to labour she was abhorred with her failed monetization policy and her one fit all economic theories.
she has already been tainted by her stint with  the obasanjo regime

You really do not know what you are talking about. She actually moved this nation in the right direction, by helping us to get a debt write-off. The woman used her connections to help Nigeria move forward and this is how you repay her.

Do not insult this woman's legacy you ungrateful person.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Nigeria Yet To Prosecute High-profile Corrupt Persons – Obasanjo / Zinc Discovered In Bauchi, Nasarawa In Large Quantity - Minister / I'm Not Married But Will Love To Be Married Soon - Natasha Hadiza Akpoti

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.