Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,628 members, 7,813,068 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:15 AM

How Can The Atheist Me Be Happily Married To My Christian Wife? See My REPLY - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Can The Atheist Me Be Happily Married To My Christian Wife? See My REPLY (6142 Views)

True Christian Wife Wanted! - Evangelist Malakhi Dele Banjo / Qualities Of A Good Christian Wife / Is The Atheist's Mind Free Enough To Question Atheism? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can The Atheist Me Be Happily Married To My Christian Wife? See My REPLY by eomajeh: 12:51pm On Mar 15, 2021
The one question i get asked almost all the time is: "how can a full-blooded atheist like me be happily married to a very christian woman?"

My answer has always been: "If your favourite food is rice, does that mean you cannot be happily married to someone whose favourite food is beans?"

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Can The Atheist Me Be Happily Married To My Christian Wife? See My REPLY by eomajeh: 10:01am On Mar 17, 2021
eomajeh:
The one question i get asked almost all the time is: "how can a full-blooded atheist like me be happily married to a very christian woman?"

My answer has always been: "If your favourite food is rice, does that mean you cannot be happily married to someone whose favourite food is beans?"

This is a post that is supposed to show that persons can live harmoniously if they simply respect each others' preferences/ taste.

My people, i like rice, you like beans, does that really mean we cannot be friends or live peacefully?

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Can The Atheist Me Be Happily Married To My Christian Wife? See My REPLY by shadeyinka(m): 10:29am On Mar 17, 2021
eomajeh:

How naive can you prove to be!

She believes in life after death. She believes in heaven and hell. She want her children to make heaven.

Now, here you are. You don't believe in life after death. The concept of sin is foreign to you. You'll encourage your children to practice immorality as long as they do it safely and responsibly.

How would you not disagree bitterly on this? If she doesn't mind, then she isn't a Christian Or she is selfish and wicked!

1 Like

Re: How Can The Atheist Me Be Happily Married To My Christian Wife? See My REPLY by MaxInDHouse(m): 12:16pm On Mar 17, 2021
You can never marry a true Christian because God's word says Christians should marry only in the Lord meaning someone in the same FAITH {1Corinthians 7:39} a true Christian will prefer to die single rather than marrying an unbeliever! 1Corinthians 7:40

So you are married to a misinformed Churchgoer Sir, not a Christian! smiley

eomajeh:

3 Likes

Re: How Can The Atheist Me Be Happily Married To My Christian Wife? See My REPLY by 1Sharon(f): 12:38pm On Mar 17, 2021
MaxInDHouse:
You can never marry a true Christian because God's word says Christians should marry only in the Lord meaning someone in the same FAITH {1Corinthians 7:39} a true Christian will prefer to die single rather than marrying an unbeliever! 1Corinthians 7:40

So you are married to a misinformed Churchgoer Sir, not a Christian! smiley

Don't worry you're the only right christian undecided

Yeye. Extremists

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Can The Atheist Me Be Happily Married To My Christian Wife? See My REPLY by MaxInDHouse(m): 1:01pm On Mar 17, 2021
I cited what the book said Ma, i'm not the writer all you need is just try to know what it means to be a Christian not what misinformed churchgoers in your neighbourhood are practicing! smiley

1Sharon:

Don't worry you're the only right christian undecided
Yeye. Extremists

1 Like

Re: How Can The Atheist Me Be Happily Married To My Christian Wife? See My REPLY by Kobojunkie: 2:01pm On Mar 17, 2021
shadeyinka:

She believes in life after death. She believes in heaven and hell. She want her children to make heaven.

Now, here you are. You don't believe in life after death. The concept of sin is foreign to you. You'll encourage your children to practice immorality as long as they do it safely and responsibly.

How would you not disagree bitterly on this? If she doesn't mind, then she isn't a Christian Or she is selfish and wicked!
I don't think there is anything "naive" about his idea there. undecided

What is wrong with his wanting to live just this life he has here on earth with his wife? It is his choice and he accepts it undecided

As for his wife, that is also her choice. She may want her children to make heaven as you claim, but that choice is up to each of the kids to make, not her. She can only work out her own "salvation" .i.e.carry her own cross( not that of her kids or even get husband's). undecided

As for suggesting that atheists are immoral.that is bullsheet thinking on your part. undecided

3 Likes

Re: How Can The Atheist Me Be Happily Married To My Christian Wife? See My REPLY by shadeyinka(m): 3:04pm On Mar 17, 2021
Kobojunkie:
I don't think there is anything "naive" about his idea there. undecided

What is wrong with his wanting to live just this life he has here on earth with his wife? It is his choice and he accepts it undecided

As for his wife, that is also her choice. She may want her children to make heaven as you claim, but that choice is up to each of the kids to make, not her. She can only work out her own "salvation" .i.e.carry her own cross( not that of her kids or even get husband's). undecided

As for suggesting that atheists are immoral.that is bullsheet thinking on your part. undecided
I didn't suggest that Atheists are immoral. I'm only insinuating that Atheists will preach safe sex rather than abstinence based on moral values (18 years old, use protection etc)

For the Christian wife, it is pure selfishness, recklessness or nativity to leave the salvation of her children to themselves especially with daddy not contributing anything to their spiritual upbringing. How happy will she be to enter heaven but all her three children are in hell.

It isn't workable sir! It may be understandable if the husband deconverted to Atheism after marriage because even scripturally, she cannot divorce the husband (except if the marriage was by deceit)
Re: How Can The Atheist Me Be Happily Married To My Christian Wife? See My REPLY by naijapips04: 3:28pm On Mar 17, 2021
Religion goes deeper than rice and beans though. Just saying.

1 Like

Re: How Can The Atheist Me Be Happily Married To My Christian Wife? See My REPLY by eomajeh: 4:14pm On Mar 17, 2021
It is not only you who struggle to understand how one can be an atheist and be moral. But the simple truth is that morality is not drawn from belief in some sky personalities.
Yes, like everyone (or like every sane person should) i teach my children good morals. The only difference will be that i do not hinge it on religion. for example, i'll tell my kid not to steal, not because stealing will anger some sky daddy, but because stealing hurts the victim. That way, children learn real love, real fellow feeling, etc. It is unlike what obtains dominantly where people do not give a shit about others, but put up acts of goodwill only to score well with their sky daddies.

So you know... I preach abstinence... not safe sex practice... and I'm Atheist.

shadeyinka:

I didn't suggest that Atheists are immoral. I'm only insinuating that Atheists will preach safe sex rather than abstinence based on moral values (18 years old, use protection etc)

For the Christian wife, it is pure selfishness, recklessness or nativity to leave the salvation of her children to themselves especially with daddy not contributing anything to their spiritual upbringing. How happy will she be to enter heaven but all her three children are in hell.

It isn't workable sir! It may be understandable if the husband deconverted to Atheism after marriage because even scripturally, she cannot divorce the husband (except if the marriage was by deceit)

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can The Atheist Me Be Happily Married To My Christian Wife? See My REPLY by shadeyinka(m): 4:51pm On Mar 17, 2021
eomajeh:
It is not only you who struggle to understand how one can be an atheist and be moral. But the simple truth is that morality is not drawn from belief in some sky personalities.
Yes, like everyone (or like every sane person should) i teach my children good morals. The only difference will be that i do not hinge it on religion. for example, i'll tell my kid not to steal, not because stealing will anger some sky daddy, but because stealing hurts the victim. That way, children learn real love, real fellow feeling, etc. It is unlike what obtains dominantly where people do not give a shit about others, but put up acts of goodwill only to score well with their sky daddies.

So you know... I preach abstinence... not safe sex practice... and I'm Atheist.

I don't think I have ever termed Atheists as being immoral. I may accuse Atheists of having no basis for their morals (which was inherited from the relic of the societal norms and religions).

Why should an 18 year old child practice abstinence instead of safe sex. Is the child hurting anyone? Yes, I believe Atheists may teach modesty even with respect to sexual activities.

Now, I may not judge Atheist couples for teaching their children to reject the so called sky daddy. But I have a problem when an atheist marries a Theist. If they choose to be childless, no problem but when children are brought into the equation, I blame the theist.

Why would a Christian who believes in judgement after death be lackadaisical about what happens to her children after death.

It is difficult for children of Christian couples to attain their salvation (you were probably not born an atheist), how much more when one half of the couple is an atheist.

I don't know if your wife is a Christian. If she is, it will take a chunk of miracle and grace for your children to know God. It is much easier to pull down than to pull up. And to this I say any Christian who knowingly goes into marriage with an atheist is either not born again or reckless or naive.

2 Likes

Re: How Can The Atheist Me Be Happily Married To My Christian Wife? See My REPLY by Kobojunkie: 5:06pm On Mar 17, 2021
shadeyinka:

shadeyinka:
What is the point of your teaching abstinence when it is not what Jesus Christ commanded you to do ? undecided

Matthew 5 vs 27-30
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
27. “You have heard that it was said, ‘You must not commit adultery.’[e]
28. But I tell you that if a man looks at a woman and wants to sin sexually with her, he has already committed that sin with her in his mind.
29. If your right eye makes you sin, take it out and throw it away. It is better to lose one part of your body than to have your whole body thrown into hell.
30. If your right hand makes you sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell.
Many of those you have preached your abstinence to have gone to indulge themselves, at least let them know to prevent themselves from STDS and unwanted pregnancies when they do. undecided
shadeyinka:
According to Jesus Christ, your salvation is not dependent on the choice or decision of those around you but on your personal decision. The agreement God calls us to cannot be made for us by parents or loved ones, no it cannot. It is a personal decision to choose to believe(Salvation) in Jesus Christ, and also to accept(trust) and obey the teachings/commandments(become a Son of God) of Jesus Christ.

Matthew 16:24
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
24. Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me.
If you consult His teachings, you find that Jesus Christ was clear as to who can be of Him. He declared that only those who are willing to deny themselves and carry their own cross are worthy of Him. This is Jesus Christ's teaching telling us that anyone who wants to follow Him will have to deny self, and carry own cross - a wife cannot carry a husband's cross, nor can she carry the cross that belongs to each of her kids because she has to and can only bear her cross and only that, her cross. So, when it comes to entering into Heaven, I am afraid no amount of indoctrination can ensure that her kids will get in. I am afraid she is helpless as to whether they will enter into Heaven or not. All she can do is live as Jesus Christ lived, letting the light that is Jesus Christ shine through her for all to see. That is the truth as put forth by Jesus Christ.

Jesus Christ never commanded His followers to such thing as you call "spiritual upbringing" - that is more meaningless traditions that instead make null the power of the Word of God in the lives of those who practice such doctrines and commandments of men. The gist is anything different from what Jesus Christ has commanded His followers in is meaninglessness - shackles where He has commanded none and so, useless as far as His Kingdom is concerned.
shadeyinka:
Jesus Christ told you that there are no marriages/relationships in Heaven such as the ones you have in the world. The same Jesus Christ told His followers that His mother, brothers, and sisters are those who do the Will of God.

Matthew 12 vs 46-50 (ERV)
46. While Jesus was talking to the people, his mother and brothers stood outside. They wanted to talk to him.
47. Someone told him, “Your mother and brothers are waiting for you outside. They want to talk to you.”

48. Jesus answered, “Who is my mother? Who are my brothers?”
49. Then he pointed to his followers and said, “See! These people are my mother and my brothers.
50. Yes, anyone who does what my Father in heaven wants is my true brother and sister and mother.”
So once you get away from the thinking that Heaven is where you will be reunited with so and so, you find that based solely on the Truth of God as revealed in Jesus Christ, it is indeed workable, and probably close to ideal; grin

2 Likes

Re: How Can The Atheist Me Be Happily Married To My Christian Wife? See My REPLY by shadeyinka(m): 10:21pm On Mar 17, 2021
Kobojunkie:
What is the point of your teaching abstinence when it is not what Jesus Christ commanded you to do ? undecided

Many of those you have preached your abstinence to have gone to indulge themselves, at least let them know to prevent themselves from STDS and unwanted pregnancies when they do. undecided
According to Jesus Christ, your salvation is not dependent on the choice or decision of those around you but on your personal decision. The agreement God calls us to cannot be made for us by parents or loved ones, no it cannot. It is a personal decision to choose to believe(Salvation) in Jesus Christ, and also to accept(trust) and obey the teachings/commandments(become a Son of God) of Jesus Christ.
If you consult His teachings, you find that Jesus Christ was clear as to who can be of Him. He declared that only those who are willing to deny themselves and carry their own cross are worthy of Him. This is Jesus Christ's teaching telling us that anyone who wants to follow Him will have to deny self, and carry own cross - a wife cannot carry a husband's cross, nor can she carry the cross that belongs to each of her kids because she has to and can only bear her cross and only that, her cross. So, when it comes to entering into Heaven, I am afraid no amount of indoctrination can ensure that her kids will get in. I am afraid she is helpless as to whether they will enter into Heaven or not. All she can do is live as Jesus Christ lived, letting the light that is Jesus Christ shine through her for all to see. That is the truth as put forth by Jesus Christ.

Jesus Christ never commanded His followers to such thing as you call "spiritual upbringing" - that is more meaningless traditions that instead make null the power of the Word of God in the lives of those who practice such doctrines and commandments of men. The gist is anything different from what Jesus Christ has commanded His followers in is meaninglessness - shackles where He has commanded none and so, useless as far as His Kingdom is concerned.
Jesus Christ told you that there are no marriages/relationships in Heaven such as the ones you have in the world. The same Jesus Christ told His followers that His mother, brothers, and sisters are those who do the Will of God.
So once you get away from the thinking that Heaven is where you will be reunited with so and so, you find that based solely on the Truth of God as revealed in Jesus Christ, it is indeed workable, and probably close to ideal; grin
The thread isn't about the teachings of Jesus but on the "rightness" of a Christian marrying an Atheist.

2Cor 6:14-15:
"Be you not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship has righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion has light with darkness? And what concord has Christ with Belial? or what part has he that believes with an infidel?"

A Christian who violates this in the name of marriage is on his/her own.

As per fornication or adultry, the standard of Jesus is higher. Don't even contemplate it was the instruction of Christ. Obedience is better than sacrifice!

1 Like

Re: How Can The Atheist Me Be Happily Married To My Christian Wife? See My REPLY by Kobojunkie: 10:50pm On Mar 17, 2021
shadeyinka:
The thread isn't about the teachings of Jesus but on the "rightness" of a Christian marrying an Atheist.
The mere mention of the word "Christian" ought always to bring to mind the teachings of Jesus Christ for He is the definition of "rightness" as far as the Christian is concerned.undecided
shadeyinka:
"Be you not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship has righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion has light with darkness? And what concord has Christ with Belial? or what part has he that believes with an infidel?"

A Christian who violates this in the name of marriage is on his/her own.
The entry in 2 Corinthians has nothing to do with any of Jesus Christ's own teachings and examples though.
1. Jesus Christ never separated Himself from the unbelievers and sinners of His time for anyone to assume that Jesus Christ preached separation of 'concerns' at any level. undecided

2. Marriage isn't the only contract/yoke people can enter into. There are friendship agreements, business contracts of every kind to consider, so unless you intend to never enter into a contract of any kind with an unbeliever, I suggest you stay away from the kind of thinking that those who typically cling to that verse as the same verse shows them as hypocrites. undecided

3. Jesus Christ never gave His followers are commandments where the contract of marriage is concerned. According to Him, our marriages are of this world and not His Kingdom so we are open as far as who we enter into that contract with, only that divorce is akin to adultery which is a sin in the kingdom of God. undecided

4. You have heard of double negatives in the English language and how they cancel out, right? Well, guess what "Be you NOT UNequally yoked together with Unbelievers" becomes when you remove the first instance of double negatives. You get "Be you equally yoked together with unbelievers"... which makes more sense if you consider that it is in fact best to be equally yoked in any agreement you find yourself with those who do not think as you do or share opinions similar to you as far as anything is concerned. grin
shadeyinka:
As per fornication or adultery, the standard of Jesus is higher. Don't even contemplate it was the instruction of Christ. Obedience is better than sacrifice!
Yes, the standard set by Jesus Christ is much higher than the one you preached from the vast majority of your pulpits and mouths today--- Homosexuality, fornication, abstinence, and the lot - that which is popular doctrine today is all of no effect in the end. undecided
Definitely! Onedience is better than sacrifice but if your obedience is not to the teachings of Jesus Christ Himself, but instead to some moral code you have come up with to replace the exact teachings of Jesus Christ with, you might as well not bother at all. Jesus Christ is not going to give you a pass for adding your own rules where He warned against the doing of such. undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Can The Atheist Me Be Happily Married To My Christian Wife? See My REPLY by budaatum: 10:55pm On Mar 17, 2021
shadeyinka:

So, rather than live peacefully here on earth, you expect them to be arguing about some afterlife as if they are about to commit suicide today? And what makes you think atheists can't have morals?

Op, your response sounds simple, but its full of wisdom.

3 Likes

Re: How Can The Atheist Me Be Happily Married To My Christian Wife? See My REPLY by budaatum: 11:00pm On Mar 17, 2021
naijapips04:

Indeed it does. It includes love, respect, charity etc etc, and see the atheist eomajeh is so full of them all while the so called Christians can't even do the love bit.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/13220491_45bed02a54e49962214556df1c36eb07_jpeg2364e54824612fa9dbf9348122e64b1f

Tell me you are not reminded of teeth gnashers.

2 Likes

Re: How Can The Atheist Me Be Happily Married To My Christian Wife? See My REPLY by shadeyinka(m): 4:54am On Mar 18, 2021
budaatum:

So, rather than live peacefully here on earth, you expect them to be arguing about some afterlife as if they are about to commit suicide today? And what makes you think atheists can't have morals?

Op, your response sounds simple, but its full of wisdom.

I haven't said that Atheists can't be good nor have morals. My only point of argument is about the children.
1. Will the atheist husband teach the children about how to live for a God or teach the children that God is a mere fairy tale?
2. Will the Atheist husband keep his irreligious state a secret to his own children?
3. A Christian wife who expects the Atheist husband to do these two above for the sake of love for her is either stupidly naive, selfish or not born again. A Christian wife who doesn't care for the salvation of her children is like a brute animal.

Above all, love isn't the only requirement for a good marriage. Other values like spiritual compatibility, educational compatibility, trust etc matter greatly

Moreover, marriage is a yoke (connection together) of a man and his wife. A violation of the Scripture for the Christian woman.

Re: How Can The Atheist Me Be Happily Married To My Christian Wife? See My REPLY by shadeyinka(m): 5:36am On Mar 18, 2021
Kobojunkie:
The mere mention of the word "Christian" ought always to bring to mind the teachings of Jesus Christ for He is the definition of "rightness" as far as the Christian is concerned.undecided
The entry in 2 Corinthians has nothing to do with any of Jesus Christ's own teachings and examples though.
1. Jesus Christ never separated Himself from the unbelievers and sinners of His time for anyone to assume that Jesus Christ preached separation of 'concerns' at any level. undecided

2. Marriage isn't the only contract/yoke people can enter into. There are friendship agreements, business contracts of every kind to consider, so unless you intend to never enter into a contract of any kind with an unbeliever, I suggest you stay away from the kind of thinking that those who typically cling to that verse as the same verse shows them as hypocrites. undecided

3. Jesus Christ never gave His followers are commandments where the contract of marriage is concerned. According to Him, our marriages are of this world and not His Kingdom so we are open as far as who we enter into that contract with, only that divorce is akin to adultery which is a sin in the kingdom of God. undecided
I guess you expect a direct teaching of Christ Jesus on every conceivable theme and topic on earth? The scriptures give principles for living. Since Jesus didn't directly teach about smoking marijuana or snorting cocaine, does it make is acceptable?

Christ didn't teach that Christians should not interact or alienate themselves from the world. He taught that Christians should not join themselves to the world. Marriage is the strongest form of bond between individuals on earth.

2Cor 6:15:
"What concord hath Christ with Belial? or what portion hath a believer with an unbeliever?"

1. As an atheist, would you impart your spiritual values on your children or not? Won't you teach and indoctrinate your children that God (the foundation of the Christian faith) is but a fairytale?
2. In a good marriage, do you expect that a husband and wife have opposing CORE values with respect to children's upbringing
3. For a Christian, the most important thing (Core Life Objective) for them is "making heaven"
Mar 8:36:
"For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"

Do you think she should care if her children also make heaven with her?
4. Will her marriage to a man with an opposite value to this be wisdom on her part?

Kobojunkie:

4. You have heard of double negatives in the English language and how they cancel out, right? Well, guess what "Be you NOT UNequally yoked together with Unbelievers" becomes when you remove the first instance of double negatives. You get "Be you equally yoked together with unbelievers"... which makes more sense if you consider that it is in fact best to be equally yoked in any agreement you find yourself with those who do not think as you do or share opinions similar to you as far as anything is concerned. grin
Yes, the standard set by Jesus Christ is much higher than the one you all preach of Homosexuality, fornication, abstinence, and the lot - it is all of no effect in the end. undecided
Sure, obedience is better than sacrifice but if your obedience is not to the teachings of Jesus Christ Himself but to some moral code you have come up with to replace the exact teachings of Jesus Christ, you might as well not bother at all. Jesus Christ is not going to give you a pass for adding your own rules where He warned against the doing of such. undecided
Christ did not teach being yoked together with an unbeliever. What agreement is their between a child of God and the devil?
2Cor 6:15:
"And what agreement has the Anointed with Belial?

I won't blame an atheist who desires to marry a true Christian. I will however condemn a true Christian who for the sake of love alone married an atheist. Scripturally, the husband has power over her. If he says" don't go to church", it is rebellion if she still goes. Her worship is questionable! What about her children? Why should I open my eyes to marry a person that has a serious genetic defect?
Re: How Can The Atheist Me Be Happily Married To My Christian Wife? See My REPLY by budaatum: 10:43am On Mar 18, 2021
Have you asked yourself how the Christian wife could marry an atheist who disrespects her enough to do all those things you mentioned?

Would you consider instead that you know not what you talk about?

The op mentioned rice and beans and I doubt either he or his wife will ridicule the others preference or tell their children to dislike the preference of the other.

shadeyinka:

I haven't said that Atheists can't be good nor have morals. My only point of argument is about the children.
1. Will the atheist husband teach the children about how to live for a God or teach the children that God is a mere fairy tale?
2. Will the Atheist husband keep his irreligious state a secret to his own children?
3. A Christian wife who expects the Atheist husband to do these two above for the sake of love for her is either stupidly naive, selfish or not born again. A Christian wife who doesn't care for the salvation of her children is like a brute animal.

Above all, love isn't the only requirement for a good marriage. Other values like spiritual compatibility, educational compatibility, trust etc matter greatly

Moreover, marriage is a yoke (connection together) of a man and his wife. A violation of the Scripture for the Christian woman.

Re: How Can The Atheist Me Be Happily Married To My Christian Wife? See My REPLY by eomajeh: 12:00pm On Mar 18, 2021
most of you are saying "atheist + christian = SHOULD NOT" because of the children.

Does that mean that you must marry one from your faith to make the indoctrination of your children easy.

From my analogy of rice and beans. I'll not push my children to like rice because i like rice, neither will i stop them from liking beans because i don't like beans. The analogy of rice and beans may be too simplistic, but it just show that it is a matter of taste and preference.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can The Atheist Me Be Happily Married To My Christian Wife? See My REPLY by shadeyinka(m): 1:42pm On Mar 18, 2021
budaatum:
Have you asked yourself how the Christian wife could marry an atheist who disrespects her enough to do all those things you mentioned?

Would you consider instead that you know not what you talk about?

The op mentioned rice and beans and I doubt either he or his wife will ridicule the others preference or tell their children to dislike the preference of the other.

The OP asked the question:
"How can the Atheist me be happily married to my Christian wife?"
I assume the marriage has already been done with the stupid or non-practicing Christian wife. Then,
1. Renounce atheism truthfully and if it is not possible, then be purely non-evangelistic agnostic
2. Deliberately refraining from teaching or promoting atheism with or before the children.
3. Respect her faith and encourage her to practice her faith with all her children
4. Loving her and accepting her

The above are the answer but there are a number of issues.
1. If I was an atheist, I wouldn't renounce my atheism except by personal conviction.
2. Even though there are some non-evangelistic Atheists, it is impossible for an atheist not to justify their choice of atheism. Such justifications will be presented from the angle of superior argument (this is evangelism)
3. It is virtually impossible not to justify why daddy doesn't go to church with the children. Other children's daddy are in church every Sunday.
4. It may be possible for an atheist to respect the faith of his wife. However, except he's a deadbeat dad, he must present life and existence from the point of view of atheism.
5. It is possible for an atheist to love his wife.

Except for 5. The others are difficult if not impossible to keep.
It is understandable if the husband deconverted to Atheism after marriage BUT it is stupidity or selfishness for a Christian to choose to marry an atheist.

A war of ideology is a war of attrition. Religion/Atheism are ideologies: why would a sane person start a preventable error.
Re: How Can The Atheist Me Be Happily Married To My Christian Wife? See My REPLY by Kobojunkie: 1:49pm On Mar 18, 2021
Another thing most "Christians" forget is that Jesus Christ, in fact, declared that only those who are essentially open-minded, become like Children, even in their thinking, will enter into the Kingdom of Heaven. So all those who are raised to think one way and one way only, have their chances at Heaven impeded by their indoctrinated in the act.

So what some of you call "Spiritual" parenting is nothing but "grooming for Hell".

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Can The Atheist Me Be Happily Married To My Christian Wife? See My REPLY by budaatum: 1:55pm On Mar 18, 2021
shadeyinka:

The OP asked the question:
"How can the Atheist me be happily married to my Christian wife?"

The op also wrote See My REPLY, and then went on in two consecutive posts to explain exactly how he and his wife are happily married, but you who seems to know better reckon your opinion about the marriage the op already lives is more valid than the op's living experience?

I shake my head at you and doff my capito at the mature intelligent op.

3 Likes

Re: How Can The Atheist Me Be Happily Married To My Christian Wife? See My REPLY by shadeyinka(m): 2:03pm On Mar 18, 2021
eomajeh:
most of you are saying "atheist + christian = SHOULD NOT" because of the children.

Does that mean that you must marry one from your faith to make the indoctrination of your children easy.

From my analogy of rice and beans. I'll not push my children to like rice because i like rice, neither will i stop them from liking beans because i don't like beans. The analogy of rice and beans may be too simplistic, but it just show that it is a matter of taste and preference.
That's exactly the problem.
The Atheist sees the issue of faith as non issue.
The Christian sees the issue of faith in terms of eternity.

If your children will not eat rice and beans, there is no problem because there are alternatives that could even be better.

Do you think there is an alternative means for a Christian on spending his eternity with God?
Re: How Can The Atheist Me Be Happily Married To My Christian Wife? See My REPLY by shadeyinka(m): 2:12pm On Mar 18, 2021
budaatum:

The op also wrote See My REPLY, and then went on in two consecutive posts to explain exactly how he and his wife are happily married, but you who seems to know better reckon your opinion about the marriage the op already lives is more valid than the op's living experience?

I shake my head at you and doff my capito at the mature intelligent op.

It is possible the wife is not a real Christian! Is it everyone who goes to church every Sunday that is a Christian?

I have responded to his extremely simplistic view of his by comparing it to Rice and Beans

shadeyinka:

That's exactly the problem.
The Atheist sees the issue of faith as non issue.
The Christian sees the issue of faith in terms of eternity.

If your children will not eat rice and beans, there is no problem because there are alternatives that could even be better.

Do you think there is an alternative means for a Christian on spending his eternity with God?

It's not like rice and beans where there are alternatives. For a true Christian, it's a matter of life and death. Eternal life with or without God. Heaven and Hell.

She may be knowledgeable and determined enough to personally hold on to her salvation. However, she has herself to blame if just one of her children become an atheist as a result of the influence of the father
Re: How Can The Atheist Me Be Happily Married To My Christian Wife? See My REPLY by Danniey: 2:14pm On Mar 18, 2021
shadeyinka:

Now, here you are. You don't believe in life after death. The concept of sin is foreign to you. You'll encourage your children to practice [size=50pt]immorality[/size] as long as they do it safely and responsibly.

OGA TRY TO MAKE YOUR FINDINGS BEFORE SPEWING TRASH...
BEING AN ATHEIST DOESNT MAKE YOU IMMORAL
AND BEING RELIGION DOESNT MAKE YOU A SAINT.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can The Atheist Me Be Happily Married To My Christian Wife? See My REPLY by shadeyinka(m): 2:18pm On Mar 18, 2021
Danniey:

OGA TRY TO MAKE YOUR FINDINGS BEFORE SPEWING TRASH...
BEING AN ATHEIST DOESNT MAKE YOU IMMORAL
AND BEING RELIGION DOESNT MAKE YOU A SAINT.

I didn't say Atheists are immoral! Do you understand English at all?
Re: How Can The Atheist Me Be Happily Married To My Christian Wife? See My REPLY by budaatum: 2:34pm On Mar 18, 2021
eomajeh:

No, your analogy is not simplistic at all! It is in fact spot on and is the type of analogy Christ himself will use, to the point that I am tempted to beg you not to bother defending yourself because Christ has already defended you, as will I also.

Those who understand their Bible will see you as the Samaritan whom Christ said Christians should emulate, while some of the so called Christians here sound like the Pharisee who is grateful they do not collect tax and whom Christ said will gnash their teeth for their lordism.

They value the ignorant beliefs in their heads so much that they will behave like the Levite and the Priest and forget the fruits they are meant to produce. And they think God gives a fuq about the crap in their heads than the relationships they have with their fellow human beings as if it can be better said that inasmuch as they have done to those here whom they see, the Father they see not is pleased.

With your rice and beans you teach your children to do Christ's will than most here can possibly imagine, for rather than develop the minds of their own children, they destroy them with ignorant indoctrinations.

You are an atheist, you say, but I will claim the Spirit of Christ is within you, and I am certain that the more enlightened Christians will see that your Fruits are a Glory to the Father, for you Sir are obviously being immensely blessed, and will be a blessing sent by God to many here who will state so in this thread for all who have eyes to see.
Re: How Can The Atheist Me Be Happily Married To My Christian Wife? See My REPLY by Kobojunkie: 2:40pm On Mar 18, 2021
naijapips04:
But Jesus Christ commanded you all to avoid religion( doctrines and traditions of men which are nothing but lies) like you would a plague. undecided

Ask yourself this. If what you do is against what Jesus Christ Himself commanded, why do you cling to it? Can you be of Jesus Christ in your disobedience? undecided

Religion has blinded you all so much so that it occupied a seat even greater than that supposedly occupied by Jesus Christ in your hearts. undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Can The Atheist Me Be Happily Married To My Christian Wife? See My REPLY by budaatum: 2:41pm On Mar 18, 2021
shadeyinka:

I didn't say Atheists are immoral! Do you understand English at all?

Yes you did "say Atheists are immoral", and you said atheists will teach their immorality to their children!

shadeyinka:

You'll encourage your children to practice immorality as long as they do it safely and responsibly.

You can continue insisting that the many people accusing you are too stupid to understand English or you yourself may learn, the choice is entirely your own.

1 Like

Re: How Can The Atheist Me Be Happily Married To My Christian Wife? See My REPLY by budaatum: 2:44pm On Mar 18, 2021
Kobojunkie:
But Jesus Christ commanded you all to avoid religion( doctrines and traditions of men which are nothing but lies) like you would a plague. undecided

Ask yourself this. If what you do is against what Jesus Christ Himself commanded, why do you cling to it? Can you be of Jesus Christ in your disobedience? undecided

Religion has blinded you all so much so that it occupied a seat even greater than that supposedly occupied by Jesus Christ in your hearts. undecided

Buda would say:

"Belief Religion has blinded you all so much so that it occupied a seat even greater than that supposedly occupied by Jesus Christ in your hearts."

But God bless you Kobojunkie.
Re: How Can The Atheist Me Be Happily Married To My Christian Wife? See My REPLY by budaatum: 2:49pm On Mar 18, 2021
shadeyinka:

However, she has herself to blame if just one of her children become an atheist as a result of the influence of the father

If all of her children reason with their God given developed minds like her and her wise God filled atheist husband obviously do I would expect God to be more pleased than if they believe like you do, because they will obviously love God's other creations more than you are showing you can.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

Agnosticism Is The Most Scientific answer To The Question Of A Creator / Good Morning Jesus;For Heaven Bound SOULS. / Nairaland Religion First 11 - Just For Laughs!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.