Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,686 members, 7,816,796 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:22 PM

3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq (15700 Views)

Deadly Bombings Reported In Nigerian City Where Boko Haram Was Founded- NY Times / North Now Controls Two Powerful Arms Of Government / Northern Leaders To FG: Demilitarise The North Now (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by dempeople(m): 9:53pm On Apr 25, 2011
[size=13pt]@Frosbel[/size]

My guy long time you still dee UK or u don transfer go 9ja? U no waka go settle 4 9ja again?
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by nwajay(m): 9:57pm On Apr 25, 2011
division is the answer

they will need visa's to enter the south

and they can keep their north , who would want to venture into a terrorist zone

and if they dare start something ,
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by roxell120(m): 10:07pm On Apr 25, 2011
im a full supporter of absolute division of this fake union but my big question is this- looking at nigerians political set up, who among these political hypocrites can muster the courage to raise such a gigantic issue in a national gathering without being lynched by our 'patriotic' proponent of one nigeria.
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by LadyT(f): 10:09pm On Apr 25, 2011
It doesnt need to be a blood bath I think the North should be the first to go give them whatever they want within reason blow up the bridges that connect us and lets be done with it and them.

They will be privy to strict immigration rules before they can enter the south we dont need any suicide bombers coming over.

We want nothing more to do with them we wish them well but good riddance.

Lets see who they will turn on now. Maybe by then they will come to their senses but by then its too late.

If we finally spilt the south (which I dont think we need too) I think the FG needs to compensate the delta and south south regions that have been destroyed by these oil companys and sabators. Then everyone go their separate ways.  

Let peace rein!
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by virgo(f): 10:29pm On Apr 25, 2011
"Mohammad practiced this deception himself. In the beginning when he was in a weak position he preached tolerance. However when he gained the upperhand militarily, he went for slaughter. This is where the conflict arise. Muslims who quote the peaceful passage are quoting from the early years. The later passages where brutal. "Slay them where ever you find them" Guess whose words are those?"

@Jerseyboy, The Koran like any religious books is open to interpretation right? You take the good, and leave what you/your culture does not agree with. Christians rarely follow archaic traditions in the old testament, right? Everywhere in West Africa, we have Muslims. Are there no Muslims in the Middle belt and down South? Are they no Muslims in Ghana, Burkina Faso, Senegal, Gambia and several other places in black Africa. The truth is the culture of Northern Nigeria is a savage one. They just happen to latch on to the part of their holy book that best suits their culture.
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by LadyT(f): 10:31pm On Apr 25, 2011
^^^

This means there is something very wrong with that culture if this is their interpretation!
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by BABSIN(m): 11:03pm On Apr 25, 2011
To those who persist in sowing the seeds of discord, I say – You may hurt and bring grief to some innocent families momentarily, but you will never succeed in stopping our transformational journey: a journey that will lead this country, by the grace of God, to emerge stronger, more prosperous and more united.
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by jmaine: 11:05pm On Apr 25, 2011
A female corp member in lagos who miraculously escaped the Bauchi onslaught told us of the terror she saw before a  good samaritan rescued her . . .Those who were killed were slaughtered like they do their rams , their throats were slit to allow blood flow out as they do during their sala celebration . . the Knife was already on her neck before her miraculous escape . .the scar of the knife on her neck was there for all to see . .can you imagine them killing great citizens as they do their cows . .i must confess we are yet to hear the last of these crisis as people get to know the manner of their gruesome murders . . . And for those fools who secretly enjoyed the massacre to justify their disappointment in the previous election . . .when the wind blows  . . you will not be spared . .i promise you that . . .
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by Ztransform: 11:09pm On Apr 25, 2011
virgo:

Mohammad practiced this deception himself. In the beginning when he was in a weak position he preached tolerance. However when he gained the upperhand militarily, he went for slaughter. This is where the conflict arise. Muslims who quote the peaceful passage are quoting from the early years. The later passages where brutal. "Slay them where ever you find them" Guess whose words are those?

The Koran like any religious books is open to interpretation right? You take the good, and leave what you/your culture does not agree with. Christians rarely follow archaic traditions in the old testament, right? Everywhere in West Africa, we have Muslims. Are there no Muslims in the Middle belt and down South? Are they no Muslims in Ghana, Burkina Faso, Senegal, Gambia and several other places in black Africa. The truth is the culture of Northern Nigeria is a savage one. They just happen to latch on to the part of their holy book that best suits their culture.

U are such a foolish ignoramus who knows nothing about Islam. Dumb!!! angry angry angry angry angry
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by jerryben12: 11:09pm On Apr 25, 2011
God help us
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by BABSIN(m): 11:20pm On Apr 25, 2011
@Jmaine "A female corp member in lagos who miraculously escaped the Bauchi onslaught told us of the terror she saw before a good samaritan rescued her "

The good Samaritan must be another Aboki I believe. So why leave the good and over bloat the Bad.

I laff when I see people sit behind their PC and clamour that this country should divide. Little do thay know that Nigeria is more than Nairaland.
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by virgo(f): 11:33pm On Apr 25, 2011
Ztransform:

U are such a foolish ignoramus who knows nothing about Islam. Dumb!!! angry angry angry angry angry

Why are you so upset? You are the ignoramus. I responded to a comment that actually highlighted a part of the Koran and said it was open to interpretation, not so? How do you explain the fact that not all Muslims are as violent as the ones in the North? INTERPRETATION.

You are more than dumb! Read properly before you begin to sound like a dunce. angry
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by LadyT(f): 11:36pm On Apr 25, 2011
Since independence what have we done to improve the country all we have done is looted and killed and pointed fingers at everyone expect ourselves. All this drama needs to stop. Nigeria is not some beacon of success it is a failure but no one can see past the greed due to oil money.

The north continue to cause trouble for the most mundane reasons how many more riots do we need before civil war breaks out and the west need to get involved because we savages can't sort ourselves out!

Because the current level of behavior is nothing short of savage
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by Nobody: 11:39pm On Apr 25, 2011
@BABSIN, After 50 years of direct or indirect control of the Nigerian State, the North finally has lost it. It will never get it back. The only way Nigeria remains one from here on is for a southerner of middle belter to rule. Yaradua is the last northern ruler you will know in your lifetime.

The first time you could tell there was trouble for the north was when they started BEGGING for zoning. The advantage from military rule and civil war has finally worn off.

No more allies for the north. Not in the S/E they have always relied on. Not in the middle belt they have tried to dominate. Not in the S/S that they stole from. Not in the S/W that sees them as vastly inferior.

Nobody fears the north any more. Northern Christians and minorities are retuning fire for fire, blood for blood. A subdued northern Nigeria is a laughing stock.

RIPieces Northern Hegemony
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by tonyzaks: 11:45pm On Apr 25, 2011
some people think the north cannot survive  on its own is totally vague, so you all think that the SS, SE & SW can coexist? bullshit.  the north has been the shock-observer for this vehicle called Nigeria and you think by separating the country all problems will be solved, ha-ha, i pity those who share that believe.
so everything is now about oil, right? what if the oil finishes then what?  all the great countries doesn't produce but rather procure oil for their consumption.
why there is no such violence you accused the north of perpetrating during the 1999 general elections when, for the first time in the history of this nation, two people are competing for the same job from the same region & who belong to the same religion?
a food for thought.
otondo55:

Enough is Enough !

It is over for this Northerners !

Division is the solution, if our elders are not doing something

about this "unholy marriage", as they benefit from it.

We the youth are standing our ground !

NIGERIA  MUST  DIVIDE, NOW !!!!!!!!
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by mcgboye(m): 11:55pm On Apr 25, 2011
Well, I'm sick of this sort of news. This is about the 15th bomb blast this year, and our government has yet to find a solution. No single person has been prosecuted, giving these idiots confidence to go on with their barbaric acts. We have spent the past 2mths talking about elections without discussing the key issue of insecurity, esp in the North. For me, this was why those northern maggots (which are only a small percentage of northerners I believe) had the gut to unleash such level of mayhem.
The most worrying part of it all is that our govt has been blaming others (read: Buhari) for the riots instead of performing its basic social responsibility: security of lives. I am personally sick of hearing Buhari being blamed for the mayhem in the North. Let GEJ find solution to this (and other myriad of problems we are facing). Afterall, he is our president, not Buhari/Bakare/ Ribadu. The time to act is now.
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by jmaine: 12:08am On Apr 26, 2011
BABSIN:

@Jmaine "A female corp member in lagos who miraculously escaped the Bauchi onslaught told us of the terror she saw before a  good samaritan rescued her "

The good Samaritan must be another Aboki I believe. So why leave the good and over bloat the Bad.

I laff when I see people sit behind their PC and clamour that this country should divide. Little do thay know that Nigeria is more than Nairaland.

First the samaritan might not have been an aboki   undecided. . . Let's assume it was an aboki . . .how many of his kind are alive and active (Courageous) . . The percentage of Northern almajiri beasts who kill at any given whim  is alarming . . .they far outweigh the sensible muslims who use their discretion to know that violence is not the right way to tackle issues .   When the majority feel they can lord over others and that any deviation should be resisted by violence means, then that is a big problem to attract the beam . . .
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by TippyTop(m): 12:23am On Apr 26, 2011
Talk is cheap
tonyzaks:

some people think the north cannot survive  on its own is totally vague, so you all think that the SS, SE & SW can coexist? bullshit.  

Impossible for the SS, SE & SW to co exist in one country after what may be a brutal and long war.

P.S
I can't see an Igbo man fighting along side a Yoruba man in the event of war. In the first civil war the Igbos were nearly made extinct by the Yorubas reneging on their promise. The Igbos might be planning the same thing.

What AWOLOWO said before the war:

"If the Eastern Region is allowed by acts of omission or commission to secede from or opt out of Nigeria, then the Western Region and Lagos must also stay out of the Federation"

Moral of the above is "Talk is cheap" the complexities and realities of war might make foes friends and friends foes. Never start a war you can't finish.

Talk is cheap indeed.
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by Ztransform: 12:29am On Apr 26, 2011
virgo:

Why are you so upset? You are the ignoramus. I responded to a comment that actually highlighted a part of the Koran and said it was open to interpretation, not so? How do you explain the fact that not all Muslims are as violent as the ones in the North? INTERPRETATION.

You are more than dumb! Read properly before you begin to sound like a dunce. angry

My apologies. I over copied ur reply to the above comment. Sorry abt that. wink
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by Limaoscar: 12:37am On Apr 26, 2011
I think the violence in the north is getting out of hand and it is obvious that our Government can not curtail it.[b]I feel it is better we vote for a split.[/b]We need a break from each other.This 50 year experiment has failed woefully and we are just living a lie right now.Jonathan will go down in history books if he can he can do this for Nigerians.Jonathan call for a national conference and let Nigerians vote and choose whether they want to stay together as one nation or not.

Ezeuche's protege in the making, Split, split, split grin
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by virgo(f): 12:38am On Apr 26, 2011
"My apologies. I over copied your reply to the above comment. Sorry abt that." Wink

Alright. All is well that ends well I suppose.
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by mamagee3(f): 12:43am On Apr 26, 2011
May the souls of those people rest in perfect please!!!

Why do these things happen in the north alone? undecided
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by okunoba(m): 12:44am On Apr 26, 2011
Incitement to violence in the Quran

Sura (8:55) - Surely the vilest of animals in Allah's sight are those who disbelieve
Sura (48:29) - Muhammad is the messenger of Allah. And those with him are hard (ruthless) against the disbelievers and merciful among themselves

Sura (9:30) - And the Jews say: Ezra is the son of Allah, and the Christians say: The Messiah is the son of Allah, Allah (Himself) fights against them. How perverse are they!

Sura (8:12) - I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them

Sura (9:123) - O you who believe! Fight those of the unbelievers who are near to you and let them find in you hardness
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by ak47mann(m): 1:01am On Apr 26, 2011
some yorubas corps members were butcher to death shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked see below

of the recent mayhem that killed several corps members in the North narrates how she escaped death by the whiskers as mourning parents and relations of victims call on the National Youth Service Corps to release the bodies of their children in this report by SEGUN OLUGBILE

When Seun Adewumi completed his degree programme at the Olabisi Onabanjo University , Ago-Iwoye, Ogun State, his dream was to take care of his 62-year-old mother, a retired cleaner of the Judicial Service Commission, Lagos State .

With enthusiasm, he gladly received his posting to Bauchi State for the one year mandatory National Youth Service Corps Scheme with the hope that he would get a good job after his service year and move his mother from the uncompleted building she lives in, at Agbado, an outskirt of Lagos , to a more decent apartment.

But this dream was shattered as life was snuffed out of the 27 year-old Political Science graduate in a gruesome manner last Monday by post-election rioters in Giade, the headquarters of Giade Local Government Area of Bauchi State.

Born in Lagos , Adewumi, a native of Imojo-Ekiti in Oye Ekiti Local Government Area of Ekiti State, was the only graduate out of his mother’s six children.

One of the corps members that survived the attack where over seven of her colleagues met their untimely deaths, Wumi, said Seun was butchered to death by rioters.

According to the female corps member, who spoke with our correspondent on the telephone on Sunday, the corps members became agitated when they discovered that the office of the Independent National Electoral Commission located beside the Youth Corps Members lodge in Giade had been set on fire by the rioters.

“The Youth Corps Members’ Lodge is just a stone throw to the INEC office, so when we saw it on fire, we all ran to the police station for safety. The Divisional Police Officer allowed us to stay. But a few minutes later, the rioters numbering over 300, swooped on the police station, stoned the policemen, overran the station and set it on fire. The rioters had their way because the policemen were only shooting teargas canisters against them. One of the stones hit the DPO on his head and it was at this point that he ordered all of us to leave the station,’’ Wumi said.

The corps members were thus forced out of the police station into the waiting hands of the devil-inspired rioters. While some, including Wumi, escaped with wounds, seven others including Seun could not make it. They were butchered by the rioters, who were protesting the defeat of Gen. Muhammadu Buhari, (retd), the candidate of the Congress for Progressive Change in the April 16 Presidential Election.

“It was a war situation and all of us were just running at different directions. They were inflicting machete cuts on us. They hit me on the head, on the shoulder and back but I kept on running. But thank God, two men on Okada just emerged from nowhere and confronted my attackers. They pleaded with them to leave us alone but when they discovered that they were desperate to kill all of us, one of them just carried me and put me on the motorcycle and sped off. I was taken to a village far from the war zone,’’ she narrated.

When her rescuers saw that she could die of bleeding, they reported her case to the Emir of the village that assisted her in getting medical attention.

“The emir sent a car to take me to the hospital. But before I was rescued, Seun and others were killed by the rioters in a gruesome manner. Some of them were set on fire,” she said.

At Lagos , Seun’s mother, Mrs. Beatrice Adewumi, had become apprehensive after learning that corps members were being killed in some parts of the North including Bauchi.

Though her son spoke with her a day earlier (on Sunday), she still called her younger brother, Venerable Samuel Ojo, who is also the Vicar of The African Church Cathedral, College Road, Ifako-Ijaiye, Lagos to confirm if he had spoken with Seun in recent time. The woman, who spoke with our correspondent at the vicarage of The African Church Cathedral on Sunday amidst sobs, said she did not know that that Sunday was the last time she would speak with her son.

“He called me on Sunday and said I should please tell one of our distant relations who is a lawyer to get a job for him as he was scheduled to complete his service year in June. I did not know that that would be the last time I would speak with my star. Seun had made a lot of promises to me. He said I should not worry that he would take good care of me.

“Each time he came home from school for food and money, he would call me aside and say, ‘Mummy, don’t worry, I know that you don’t have money but please try and finance my education, I will soon complete my education and after graduation, I will take very good care of you.’ I didn’t know that that promise would not be kept. They have killed my hope, they have killed my shinning light,” the woman who was surrounded by relatives and her brother, Ojo, cried.

Beatrice said she retired in 2009 from the service of the Lagos State Government. She pleaded with the NYSC to release the corpse of her son to her.

“My brother spent over four days before he could get the NYSC Bauchi to confirm his death. But please tell them to give me his corpse because in our tradition when you say somebody is dead, we must see the corpse. Omo eni ku san ju omo eni sonu lo, e bami gbe oku re abi kile fe fi se leyin igba ti eti pa (It is better to lose a child to death than to say a child is missing, please give me his corpse or what else do you want to do with the corpse after you have killed him,)” she said to no one in particular.

Seun’s sister, Ruth, also said that the family would miss the deceased in so many ways. “Seun suffered; many times he would go and do odd jobs to complement the little money our mother could give. He was determined to succeed but see how some senseless, uneducated and barbaric people just killed him. Government should scrap the NYSC. They should compensate my mother because she sacrificed a lot to see him through the university,” Ruth, who is a trained hairdresser, said.

Speaking on the trauma the family had gone through since the young man was killed on Monday; Ojo expressed bitterness at the inability of the NYSC to inform them about the death. This, he said, further traumatised the family as members were left in the dark concerning his whereabouts.

Narrating the event that led to the death of Seun, Ojo said Seun called him around 10am on Monday, April 18 to pray for him as there was a crisis in Giade.

“I asked him what the problem was and he said the rioters had attacked the INEC office and they were on their way to the police station because their lodge was not far from the place. I said he should not worry that we would be praying. But when I called him back, he said they were already in the police station. I was happy but when I called him back around 1pm his mobile phone was dead. I became apprehensive.

“We started calling all his friends and other people from our church that were posted to Bauchi. Nobody knew anything about his whereabouts. Some of them gave us the number of the Bauchi State Coordinator of the NYSC, that of his personal assistant and the Zonal Inspector of Seun’s local government. We tried all the numbers but nobody picked it. It was not until Thursday that the personal assistant to the coordinator picked my call and confirmed that Seun was no more. What the NYSC did was not fair. We were traumatised and subjected to emotional trauma between Monday and Thursday last week,” he said.

The angry cleric said if not for God and his faith in Jesus, he would have gone on a vengeance mission, because according to him, there was no reason why corps members should be attacked because of election.

“Even Seun did not participate in the election. He was not one of the corps members used for the election, so why should they kill him. They should just release his corpse to us and they should compensate the family,” he said.

Some of the seven corps members killed at the police station, according to one of the Corps Liaison Officer in Bauchi State , include Ukeoma Ikechukwu, Anslem Sylvester Nkwazema, Obinna Okpokiri and Kehinde Adeniyi.

According to the CLO, who pleaded anonymity, because corps members are not allowed to speak to the press, Ukeoma and Nkwazema were chased by an angry mob on April 18 and ran into a police station at Giade.

“Unfortunately, the mob was so large than they were able to overpower the policemen after setting the station on fire and all the corps members ran out. Ukweoma and Nkwazema were beaten to death by the mob.

“Adeniyi, a Muslim, who was identified by one of his pupils, was subsequently beaten to death by the angry mob.

Okpokiri, according to a friend that schooled with him in the United Kingdom, was not only beaten to death, but was burnt after he was killed.

The CLO added that Ikechukwu had by 6.48am that day posted a message on his Face book wall narrating how he nearly escaped being lynched by election riggers after he refused to hand over ballot papers to them during the election on April 16.

“The timely intervention of the police saved me,” Ikechukwu whose Face book name is Ukeoma Aikfavour, had written.

“These CPC supporters would have killed me yesterday, no see threat ooo. Even after forcing under-age voters on me, they wanted me to give them the remaining ballot papers to thumb print. Thank God for the police and I’m happy I could stand for God and my nation. To all corps members who stood despite these threats especially in the North, bravo! Nigeria our change has come,” he added.

On the same Face book page some hours later, a friend named Vivesparkle Emmanuel wrote,

“Please, you all should pray for Aik. As at yesterday, some angry mob were shooting guns around them. They were able to take them later to the nearest police station only for him to call that the mob were threatening to burn down the place. We’ve lost contact with him because his phone has been unreachable. Kindly pray for him and others in the same condition. Thanks.”

But the call for prayers came rather too late as Aik was one of the unfortunate corps members killed by the rioters.

Their deaths have, however, renewed calls for the scrapping of the NYSC as most parents including Ojo, are now calling on the Federal Government to do away with the scheme.

But Seun’s mother said that if government would not scrap the NYSC, it should only post corps members to states within their geo-political zones.

“In Ekiti, we don’t maltreat corps members. We take care of them, we give them free accommodation, if the Hausa people are killing our children, then they should not be posted to the North again. Let them serve in their geo-political zones. But they should please release my son’s corpse so that we can give him a proper and befitting burial,” the sad mother said.

to him, there was no reason why corps members should be attacked because of an election.

“Even Seun did not participate in the election. He was not one of the corps members used for the election, so why should they kill him. They should just release his corpse to us and they should compensate the family,” he said.

Some of the seven corps members killed at the police station, according to one of the Corps Liaison Officer in Bauchi State, were Ukeoma Ikechukwu, Anslem Sylvester Nkwazema, Obinna Okpokiri and Kehinde Adeniyi.

According to the CLO, who pleaded anonymity, because corps members are not allowed to speak to the press, Ukeoma and Nkwazema were chased by an angry mob on April 18 and ran into a police station at Giade.

“Unfortunately, the mob was so large than they were able to overpower the policemen after setting the station on fire and all the corps members ran out. Ukweoma and Nkwazema were beaten to death by the mob.

“Adeniyi, a Muslim, who was identified by one of his pupils, was subsequently beaten to death by the angry mob.

Okpokiri, according to a friend that schooled with him in the United Kingdom, was not only beaten to death, but was burnt after he had been killed.”

The CLO added that Ikechukwu had by 6.48am that day posted a message on his Facebook wall narrating how he nearly escaped being lynched by election riggers after he refused to hand over ballot papers to them during the election on April 16.

“The timely intervention of the police saved me,” Ikechukwu whose Face book name is Ukeoma Aikfavour, had written.

“These CPC supporters would have killed me yesterday, no see threat ooo. Even after forcing under-age voters on me, they wanted me to give them the remaining ballot papers to thumb print. Thank God for the police and I’m happy I could stand for God and my nation. To all corps members who stood despite these threats especially in the North, bravo! Nigeria our change has come,” he added.

On the same Face book page some hours later, a friend named Vivesparkle Emmanuel wrote,

“Please, you all should pray for Aik. As at yesterday, some angry mob were shooting guns around them. They were able to take them later to the nearest police station only for him to call that the mob were threatening to burn down the place. We’ve lost contact with him because his phone has been unreachable. Kindly pray for him and others in the same condition. Thanks.”

But the call for prayers came rather too late as Aik was one of the unfortunate corps members killed by the rioters.

Their deaths have, however, renewed calls for the scrapping of the NYSC as most parents including Ojo, are now calling on the Federal Government to do away with the scheme.

But Seun’s mother said that if government would not scrap the NYSC, it should only post corps members to states within their geo-political zones.

“In Ekiti, we don’t maltreat corps members. We take care of them, we give them free accommodation, if the Hausa people are killing our children, then they should not be posted to the North again. Let them serve in their geo-political zones. But they should please release my son’s corpse so that we can give him a proper and befitting burial,” the grieving mother said.
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by reindeer: 1:04am On Apr 26, 2011
This Buhari sef
We must blame him for this one too!
Infact if the chicken doesn't crow tomorrow morning, we must blame him.
Nigeria needs a true federal structure.But the only person who mentioned that in his manifesto isn't good enough for southerners.
So stop complaining and live with it. cheesy
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by reindeer: 1:11am On Apr 26, 2011
This is a harrowing experience for all concerned and i think the NYSC has outlived it's usefulness
What do we stand to gain by keeping a scheme that kills our brightest and best every year?IF they dont die from Mayhem, they die from road accidents, from diseases . . .The whole scheme should be done away with henceforth. angry angry
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by ektbear: 1:18am On Apr 26, 2011
Very sad story.

ak47mann:

“In Ekiti, we don’t maltreat corps members. We take care of them, we give them free accommodation, if the Hausa people are killing our children, then they should not be posted to the North again. Let them serve in their geo-political zones. But they should please release my son’s corpse so that we can give him a proper and befitting burial,” the grieving mother said.

Hmm. Either way you look at it, NYSC is going to have to be restructured (and possibly done away with.)
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by Nobody: 1:31am On Apr 26, 2011
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by Nobody: 1:35am On Apr 26, 2011
dem_people:

[size=13pt]@Frosbel[/size]

My guy long time you still dee UK or u don transfer go 9ja? U no waka go settle 4 9ja again?

lol, grin grin grin grin

I dey UK oo, who wan die for Naija, grin
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by BetaThings: 1:41am On Apr 26, 2011
Boko Haram came to light under Yaradua who mobilised troops to deal with them
The Army got their leader and handed him to the police who eventually executed him
It is funny that people are now identifying it with Gen Buhari
What is the presidency looking at? Yaradu fought Boko Haram!
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by lastpage: 1:42am On Apr 26, 2011
@Tipp top
[QUOTE]Talk is cheap
Quote from: tonyzaks on Yesterday at 11:45:48 PM
some people think the north cannot survive  on its own is totally vague, so you all think that the SS, SE & SW can coexist? bullshit.  

Impossible for the SS, SE & SW to co exist in one country after what may be a brutal and long war.

P.S
I can't see an Igbo man fighting along side a Yoruba man in the event of war. In the first civil war the Igbos were nearly made extinct by the Yorubas reneging on their promise. The Igbos might be planning the same thing.

What AWOLOWO said before the war:

"If the Eastern Region is allowed by acts of omission or commission to secede from or opt out of Nigeria, then the Western Region and Lagos must also stay out of the Federation"

Moral of the above is "Talk is cheap" the complexities and realities of war might make foes friends and friends foes.  Never start a war you can't finish.

Talk is cheap indeed.[/quote]

Talk, indeed is NOT CHEAP! Keep Dreaming!
As much as it may pain you, l tell you, NIGERIANS (the civilized ones!) have turned the corner and this country will NEVER REMAIN THE SAME, NEVER!

If these are the kind of people we should live with, then l would rather take my chances with another SOUTHERNER!

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/Metro/Politics/5693091-146/story.csp

They were left on their own

As security presence was greatly stretched to contain the violence which had erupted across the state, the army's 35 Battalion obtained clearance to open the orientation camp of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) in the state capital.

The corps members in Daura, numbering over 100, were asked to assemble at the Daura Police station, while the commanding officer of the battalion, Emmanuel Etuka, a lieutenant colonel, made provision for buses to evacuate them to the camp under military cover.

But on the same Monday, the NYSC Katsina State coordinator, Abdul Salisu Taura, visited the corps members at the Police station, refusing them relocating to the orientation camp. By Tuesday, Mr Taura disbursed N1,000 to each corps member to use to fend for themselves, while they slept inside the police station premises in the open air outside.

By Wednesday, the corps members decided they would no longer pay heed to Mr. Taura and instead go to the camp than continue living in the police station. But by this time the military were unable to provide the buses which had initially being offered.

When NEXT asked Mr. Taura why he refused them moving to the camp, he denied giving the directive. And when asked what provision the NYSC had been made to transport the corps members to the camp, he said it was the responsibility of the Army to provide the transportation.

"The army is there. The army is to move them. Like me I am very far away now. It will take me about four hours to get to Daura. Let the army move them," Mr Taura said. He subsequently switched off his phone.

In a desperate effort to leave Daura, the corps members made a written application to the authorities of the Yusuf Bala Usman College of Legal and General Studies, Daura, for a bus to convey them to the NYSC Camp.

The school authorities initially refused on the grounds that they needed to see the security which would accompany the vehicle they would release to the corps members. But when Captain Omotade with several soldiers drafted to ensure the corps members safety presented himself, the school's provost, Husseni Umar, in the presence of the registrar, Mohammed Daura and the director of works, still refused citing several reasons.

"One, it is unlawful for the army or the police to come into the school premises. Two, we cannot guarantee the safety of the people if we release our vehicle. Three, are corpers of a privileged group that they alone need protection? I am the chief security of the college and I will not release it. Even we as a board we have superiors we report to," Mr. Umar said.

When NEXT asked who could be approached to get clearance for the release of the bus, Mr Umar said he would not assist. At an earlier time, the director of works had said only the governor of the state could give the approval.

A good Samaritan At wits end, the corps members resigned to charter seven commercial buses at N2,000 each vehicle. But by the time the vehicles were assembled at the police station, neither the corps members nor the NYSC Zonal Inspector in charge of the zone, Mrs Shittu had the funds needed.,.,.,.

Pls read the rest of this story at the supplied hyperlink. You will see that these murders are deliberate and sanctioned by officials and state authorities in the North!
No Southerner NYSC must report in the North henceforth, otherwise the NYSC should be scrapped completely!

And for those who think the IGBOS and YORUBAS are beasts like themselves, check this out AS PROOF THAT WE VALUE EACH OTHER! tongue tongue
Its shows a set of people who have evolved past their PAST!

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/4014-why-we-stepped-down-for-fashola-by-apga.html
Why we stepped down for Fashola, by APGA
By Our Reporter 25/04/2011 00:00:00
Font size: Decrease font Enlarge font

The All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) in Lagos State has said it stepped down for Governor Babatunde Raji Fashola of the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) to enable him complete the projects, which he started

It, however, said it did not adopt ACN House of Assembly members in Amuwo Odofin, Ojo, Oshodi/Isolo and Kosofe local government areas.

APGA State Chairman Dr. Dominic Ferguson said the party decided to withdraw its governorship candidate after consultations with Ndigbo and the Ohaneze in Lagos.

Ferguson said: "They have said the APGA candidate should step down for Fashola,  It took us time to reach that decision; it was not a decision that was based on personal interest because we did our research.

‘’The Igbo have no other choice than to withdraw its governorship candidate to allow Fashola to run.

‘’We will be doing ourselves a disservice if we do not allow Fashola to continue with the good work he is doing, Ferguson said.

He said the action governor was now a reference in Nigerian leadership and as such the Igbo cannot afford to deny him their support.

PRAY ME, CAN ANY OF THOSE TERRORIST ALMAJERIS UP NORTH REASON LIKE THIS? NEVER! They are too blood-lusty to have human feelings and sense of direction.

No matter how you try, SOUTHERNERS ARE SIMPLY TOO SMART FOR YOUR LIKING!
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by bankol18(m): 1:44am On Apr 26, 2011
Having read the whole infuriating story ak47mann just posted i made a resolve deeper than the empty rants some people make here about separation or division of the Nigerian federation, and that resolve is to organize [color=#990000]a Hitler-type campaign/crusade of bloodshed to be unleashed on the desert, God-forsaken,and Morbid creatures called Northerners, Insult me after i post this but it must happen.[/color]

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. / Boko Haram Kills 27 In Fresh Monguno Bombing - PUNCH / How FIRS Plans To Generate N4.9Trillion To finance 2016 Budget

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.