Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,553 members, 7,812,765 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:58 PM

Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? (40364 Views)

My Girlfriend Broke My Heart Because I Want To Follow My Dreams-pls Advise / This Girl I Follow On Instagram Killed Someone Today / How Can I Use Tact To Follow My Student(s) Who Is Into Me? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by omolola100(f): 12:56pm On Jun 05, 2021
My mother advice me never to look for a rich man who is well do whenever i'm set to get married.
she said i should marry a man that we will both start our life from the foundation, according to my mum, she said it is better to suffer with man to acquire wealth, than to go for a ready made soup.

Looking at the way things are going now, do you think a woman will now stoop so low and marry a poor man that is trying to make ends meet? Although, money is not love, but why would a parent wish her daughter to marry a poor man, i am begining to see my mum as a bad mother who does'nt wish me well.
Is it advisable i follow my mothers advice? I should stay in SURULERE instead of OLORUNSOGO.

40 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by Divoc19(f): 1:01pm On Jun 05, 2021
Rome was not built in a day.
Those who built Rome own it.

If you follow your mother's advice, you will have peace...but, you have to be intellectually rich and the guy should not be lazy.

omolola100:
My mother advice me never to look for a rich man who is well do whenever i'm set to get married.
she said i should marry a man that we will both start our life from the foundation, according to my mum, she said it is better to suffer with man to acquire wealth, than to go for a ready made soup.

Looking at the way things are going now, do you think a woman will now stoop so low and marry a poor man that is trying to make ends meet? Although, money is not love, but why would a parent wish her daughter to marry a poor man, i am begining to see my mum as a bad mother who does'nt wish me well.
Is it advisable i follow my mothers advice? I should stay in SURULERE instead of OLORUNSOGO.

315 Likes 23 Shares

Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by erinatso: 1:05pm On Jun 05, 2021
Aunty with due respest pls permit me to tel u that u r mad. If nt dat u ar my senior i for tel u say u no get sense
u get mind tel us say ur mum no like u

295 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by NeeKlaus: 1:07pm On Jun 05, 2021
omolola100:

So you feel you are stooping low to marry a struggling man but you don't think a rich man is stooping low to marry you, yes?

A broke woman marrying a very wealthy man = "She's securing the bag. Yassss Queen!"
A comfortable woman marrying a struggling guy = "She's stooping soooo low. Ewww!"

The standards are double these days.

688 Likes 52 Shares

Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by Lilpen3758: 1:07pm On Jun 05, 2021
Sister no listen to your mother because things has changed.......you think say poverty sweet?? you think say if i be woman dey way i broke now i for no start ashawo work??
you think say to dey poor for nigeria deh easy??

69 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by emorse(m): 1:08pm On Jun 05, 2021
omolola100:

If you were a rich man, would you marry this present you?

171 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by Amotolongbo(f): 1:12pm On Jun 05, 2021
omolola100:

Looking at the way things are going now, [b do you think a woman will now stoop so low and marry a poor man that is trying to make ends meet? [/b] Although, money is not love, but why would a parent wish her daughter to marry a poor man, i am begining to see my mum as a bad mother who does'nt wish me well.
If you are already high, you don’t need a man then.

If the men have this mentality of yours, they won’t marry ladies lower than their status.

Your mother made the right statement but you didn’t get the message. She said don’t marry a rich man, she didn’t say marry a poor man. You have run foul of false dilemma, making just only an option to counter your mum’s advice ie any man not rich is poor.

There are men with no material now cos they are currently investing their mental resources to create wealth in the future. Men with potentials, these are kinda men your mum is telling you to marry.
Adding your potential value to compliment these kind of resourceful men to create wealth will earn you a maximum eternal matrimonial respect

255 Likes 26 Shares

Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by ogeodi(f): 1:14pm On Jun 05, 2021
She's advising you from her own point of view or understanding. It's dicey...... All in all it depends on the man. Above all marry a man that respects you weda rich or not and you should have something to offer too so that u can both share the expenses.

44 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by omolola100(f): 1:18pm On Jun 05, 2021
NeeKlaus:

So you feel you are stooping low to marry a struggling man but you don't think a rich man is stooping low to marry you, yes?

A broke woman marrying a very wealthy man = "She's securing the bag. Yassss Queen!"
A comfortable woman marrying a struggling guy = "She's stooping soooo low. Ewww!"

The standards are double these days.

i am not a comfortable woman, that is why i dont feel it is right to marry a struggling man, i am not after money anyway..

10 Likes

Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by omolola100(f): 1:20pm On Jun 05, 2021
ogeodi:
She's advising you from her own point of view or understanding. It's dicey...... All in all it depends on the man. Above all marry a man that respects you weda rich or not and you should have something to offer too so that u can both share the expenses.
thanks for this.

4 Likes

Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by NeeKlaus: 1:29pm On Jun 05, 2021
omolola100:

i am not a comfortable woman, that is why i dont feel it is right to marry a struggling man, i am not after money anyway..
Which one are you? Are you extremely rich?

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by luminouz(m): 1:31pm On Jun 05, 2021
omolola100:

thanks for this.

Lola, Goan work ya black ass off. No man came into this world solely to make you happy. That mentality is BS.

Make your money and have peace,if you can't find happiness with marrying for love and togetherness.

It's only in Nigeria that broke ass girls won't work but keeping praying for a rich man,yet they keep brokeshaming struggling guys. Are y'all allergic to making your own money? Why a rich man would wanna settle for them, is beyond me.

139 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by bixoj87603: 1:34pm On Jun 05, 2021
yes
Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by MJBOLT: 1:35pm On Jun 05, 2021
this is what all women say but we understand grin

omolola100:

i am not after money anyway..

150 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by omolola100(f): 1:35pm On Jun 05, 2021
luminouz:

Lola, Goan work ya black ass off. No man came into this world solely to make you happy. That mentality is BS.

Make your money and have peace,if you can't find happiness with marrying for love and togetherness.

It's only in Nigeria that broke ass girls won't work but keeping praying for a rich man,yet they keep brokeshaming struggling guys. Are y'all allergic to making your own money? Why a rich man would wanna settle for them, is beyond me.
i am not a lazy gal, i dont depend on anyman before i buy cream and make my hair.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by omolola100(f): 1:36pm On Jun 05, 2021
NeeKlaus:
i am not rich, but i know i will be great tomorrow.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by luminouz(m): 1:38pm On Jun 05, 2021
omolola100:

i am not a lazy gal, i dont depend on anyman before i buy cream and make my hair.

Then, this means you dont need your mum's advice. You can work so why look for a rich man to foot bills you can cater for?

Shey u don't wanna look for love or kindness or passion in a man?

36 Likes

Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by luminouz(m): 1:40pm On Jun 05, 2021
MJBOLT:
this is what all women say but we understand grin

I wonder what the thread is about if not money issues grin

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by MJBOLT: 1:43pm On Jun 05, 2021
I'm 100% certain if a rich man comes her way,she will marry him.

luminouz:

I wonder what the thread is about if not money issues grin

14 Likes

Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by luminouz(m): 1:43pm On Jun 05, 2021
MJBOLT:
I'm 100% certain if a rich man comes her way,she will marry him.

And leave a broke guy like me shey? grin

24 Likes

Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by NeeKlaus: 1:43pm On Jun 05, 2021
omolola100:

So the struggling guy won't be great tomorrow yet you think you are "stooping low" for him?
Can you see your standards and how double they appear?

There's nothing wrong in marrying a rich spouse but don't make it look like an abomination if the tables are turned.

85 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by MJBOLT: 1:44pm On Jun 05, 2021
that one is obvious in her OP grin

luminouz:

And leave a broke guy like me shey? grin

1 Like

Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by omolola100(f): 1:48pm On Jun 05, 2021
NeeKlaus:

So the struggling guy won't be great tomorrow yet you think you are "stooping low" for him?
Can you see your standards and how double they appear?

There's nothing wrong in marrying a rich spouse but don't make it look like an abomination if the tables are turned.

i never said he wouldnt been great, i have'nt even introduce anyone to my mum as my fiance, i believe the longest journey in lyf begin with a step.
Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by Kobicove(m): 2:29pm On Jun 05, 2021
omolola100:

So you mean you're not bringing any value with you yet you want to marry a ready made man undecided

26 Likes

Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by Bola146(f): 2:33pm On Jun 05, 2021
She said something good. She doesn't want you to go after riches instead of true love. You can't pray to marry Yahoo guy when you know his source of income, you would rather go for a understand and hardworking man who loves you and he is contempted with what he has not a greedy or lazy ass man. You too get something doing, stop waiting for rich man, God knows what is good for you.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by Nobody: 2:58pm On Jun 05, 2021
Not surprised one bit. That is the mindset of an average Nigerian girl. They just want them already made. cheesy

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by flokii: 3:14pm On Jun 05, 2021
@OP most rich guys you'll meet out there are married men but won't disclose their marital status.. your mom has a point.

If you see a serious young man with prospect, marry him and grow with him

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by emmaodet: 3:37pm On Jun 05, 2021
NeeKlaus:

grin

6 Likes

Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by emmaodet: 3:41pm On Jun 05, 2021
omolola100:

That doesn't mean you are still not dependent.
Can you rent a self contain? Pay utility bills like light(Nepa), dstv etc without banking on a man? Can you get a car for yourself? Build your own house so that you won't sleep under the bridge at your old age or go back to family house?

If you can't, then you are a dependant because those are the things you will be hoping to pile on a man as a pressure.

72 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by emmaodet: 3:42pm On Jun 05, 2021
omolola100:

Na so

2 Likes

Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by emmaodet: 3:52pm On Jun 05, 2021
flokii:
@OP most rich guys you'll meet out there are married men but won't disclose their marital status.. your mom has a point.

If you see a serious young man with prospect, marry him and grow with him

Bro, why do i think you are kind of pacifying her to marry a man with potential.
Women are not doing any man a favour by sticking with them. If they like make them marry or not, men won't die and life will move on.
Only if you know that most men are also enduring them.
Hardly will you see a nigerian relationship that is balanced.
It is all about what they can gain from men.
Most of the relationship have ever been were a waste of time and resources. I don't fancy it anymore.
How will you date a woman for 3,6 months or a year without nothing to show for it.
You look back, no boxers, no wrist watch, no singlet or wears, sneakers etc NOTHING!!!! ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!! and you think i will be proud of such person? Someone i can remember with anything, no hosting me on outing or pool or cinema etc
It is very very very boring.
Love should be give and take.
If you are too broke to buy things for your bf in a relationship, then am sorry you have a misplaced priority.
What you need as a woman then is a job and not a relationship.

83 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by mrblessed(m): 3:53pm On Jun 05, 2021
I think you should be applauded for the courage to air your innate desire, which is clearly what an average Nigerian girl wishes, even though you tried unsuccessfully to modify it order to you make appear reasonable.

43 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

My Pre-wedding Pictures / My Pre-wedding Photoshoot / Your Breakup Experiences With Someone You Really Loved??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.