Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,257 members, 7,829,501 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:08 AM

Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? - Romance (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? (40450 Views)

My Girlfriend Broke My Heart Because I Want To Follow My Dreams-pls Advise / This Girl I Follow On Instagram Killed Someone Today / How Can I Use Tact To Follow My Student(s) Who Is Into Me? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by Kingosytex(m): 12:08am On Jun 08, 2021
Tony142:

You are right, most of the men attacking her for not wanting a struggling man are broke, the funny part is that this broke men will not want another broke men to marry their sister, but yet they are insulting the OPs because she want a rich man, just like the way their sisters want a rich man too lipsrsealed

Poverty have a way of making poor people have a poor mindset

That her mother that is advising her not to marry a rich man enh, just dash her 20million naira and she will start calling you my in-law grin

Una double standard no get part two, i swear!!
She needs a rich man. What makes you think the rich man will need a broke girl?
Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by omasa: 12:45am On Jun 08, 2021
What prevents you as a woman from making your own money and be the ready made rich woman.
Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by CHoccolaTE: 12:46am On Jun 08, 2021
I don't know when you girls will have sense to stop bringing your issues to nairaland for advice.
The boys here will never tell you anything that will favour you as a woman. They hate women.

Omolola100 better use your sense and marry a rich man and avoid broke or struggling men. The broke frustrated rats telling you to marry a poor man will never choose a poor babe over a rich one.

And no, he will not appreciate your standing by him when he was poor if he finally becomes wealthy. Men by nature have this tendency to change when they get rich and he will want to experience all the sweet young girls he couldn't have when he was struggling and guess what? The fact that you are now married to him will not stop him from going after them. Prepare to be deserted and abandoned after suffering with one man for years while he openly cheats on you because he knows you will not want to leave and start afresh after all the sacrifices you made.

Secondly millions of women in nigeria married to poor as shit men. The way the economy is going with rising cost of everything their chances of making it in life becomes slimmer and slimmer each day and many will continue struggling forever. Hospital bills they cannot pay, houserent they cannot pay so they relocate to village, school fees they cannot pay so their kids are sent to backyard schools with zero standard where they pay 5k school fees a session. Good food they cannot eat, no soso garri and okro, LMAO grin No sensible woman will want to see their child suffer and starve and wear old cheap clothes better use your damn brain

The poor and miserable rats telling you to work and take care of your husband instead of waiting for him to provide ask them if your husband will do daily cooking and cleaning for you or serve your food or carry your kids for nine months and let you be the head of the family

Asking stupid questions left and right on a woman hating forum. Make una no use brain, continue asking mumu questions.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by Kingosytex(m): 12:55am On Jun 08, 2021
What prevents the Op from making her own money instead of waiting for a rich man? So a rich man should stoop so low and marry her? Una hypocrisy dey legendary.

Cc Choccolate
Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by calcal: 12:58am On Jun 08, 2021
Your chances of getting out of poverty in the ZOO are practically impossible.

After university, you have a good job, family, children, at 50 you got fired from your job. back to square one, to your parent's house again if one is available.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by CHoccolaTE: 1:06am On Jun 08, 2021
Kingosytex:
What prevents the Op from making her own money instead of waiting for a rich man? So a rich man should stoop so low and marry her? Una hypocrisy dey legendary.

Cc Choccolate

What stops her husband from submitting to her in the marriage instead of waiting for her to submit?
What stops him from being the one that cooks for his wife and children and cleans and washes clothes for them instead of expecting his wife to do it?

What stops him from letting their kids answer his wife's name since she is now the one feeding everybody?

Omolola100 better advice yourself oo

1 Like

Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by pansophist(m): 1:07am On Jun 08, 2021
She said "stoop so low" grin. Women and delusion are like five and six. I know many rich men, and richmen typically do not marry below their class. So even if you choose not to follow your mothers advice, you'll hardly see a rich man that will marry low. Of course there are exceptions, I'm speaking about generalities here.

The problem with lots of young women is a false sense of worth, because you're being chased by philanderous rich men doesn't mean they want to stay, many just want to smash and dash. I'm telling you this as a guyman that knows game. Men by nature have little or no rules when chasing the honey pot, a sexy cleaner is even more desirable than a high class ceo that weighs 500 pounds, unlike women where social status is everything. For men when it comes to smashing, p is p, doesn't matter her class.

You see why most male celebrities ex are single? It's because they can't go back dating non rich, famous guys. Their standards have been crystallised with the celeb they have dated, meanwhile for those men, they just want to smash and move on, but the women will think because they can get such men, it means those men are their level. My dear wake up, I know it is in the nature of women to live in delusions, but it does you no good at all.

Your mum is right. Look for an ambitious man that respect you, of course it doesn't mean you shouldn't go with a ready-made man, but it should not be your only target. Men respects women that were there for them. Personally, I'll forever doubt the love of a woman I met in my good times, I'll hardly trust her. For men, the ideal woman that deserves all our wealth is the one that is not with us for it, but the one that are with us for our wealth will get nothing.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by Bifwoli: 1:13am On Jun 08, 2021
Lilpen3758:
Sister no listen to your mother because things has changed.......you think say poverty sweet?? you think say if i be woman dey way i broke now i for no start ashawo work??
you think say to dey poor for nigeria deh easy??

There's lots of wisdom in what the mother says though.Afterall those "ready made" things will never allow you to earn that fulfilling sense of accomplishment.
Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by Kingosytex(m): 2:07am On Jun 08, 2021
Tony142:

You are right, most of the men attacking her for not wanting a struggling man are broke, the funny part is that this broke men will not want another broke men to marry their sister, but yet they are insulting the OPs because she want a rich man, just like the way their sisters want a rich man too lipsrsealed

That her mother that is advising her not to marry a rich man enh, just dash her 20million naira and she will start calling you my in-law grin

Una double standard no get part two, i swear!!
She needs a rich man. What makes you think the rich man will need a broke girl?
Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by Lilpen3758: 2:08am On Jun 08, 2021
RPG2020:

Keep trying if you never fail you ain't even start
mtcheww
Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by Lilpen3758: 2:09am On Jun 08, 2021
Bifwoli:

There's lots of wisdom in what the mother says though.Afterall those "ready made" things will never allow you to earn that fulfilling sense of accomplishment.
let me guess something about you
You come from a rich family right??
don't lie??
Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by Cooky007(m): 2:15am On Jun 08, 2021
Madam the truth is bitter but you have to admit. If you go against the principles of your mum, you reap what you sour

Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by Bifwoli: 2:38am On Jun 08, 2021
Lilpen3758:
let me guess something about you
You come from a rich family right??
don't lie??

Well ,i'll say maybe ,then maybe not.We were just an ok family but not poor.

But you know what matters most -its that i went out and accomplished all the stuff i have now on my own without relying on family jewels.I can buy a brand new car if i want on 1 month's income,i paid for my 3bed house fully the week i moved in and i make in a month what most people can't make in a year.

I say these things not to brag/show off but to emphasize there's real joy in accomplishing things on your own yet these are things i would 've never ever thought even possible some years back.Honestly truly there's pleasure in toiling on your own.Just stay focussed ,work extra hard and be disciplined .
Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by Basalt(m): 2:38am On Jun 08, 2021
omolola100:
My mother advice me never to look for a rich man who is well do whenever i'm set to get married.
she said i should marry a man that we will both start our life from the foundation, according to my mum, she said it is better to suffer with man to acquire wealth, than to go for a ready made soup.

Looking at the way things are going now, do you think a woman will now stoop so low and marry a poor man that is trying to make ends meet? Although, money is not love, but why would a parent wish her daughter to marry a poor man, i am begining to see my mum as a bad mother who does'nt wish me well.
Is it advisable i follow my mothers advice? I should stay in SURULERE instead of OLORUNSOGO.

You are qualified to use that word stoop so low if you are already so high.
But in a situation where you are also low financially, then you are not stooping any low, you are marrying your kind.

Remember one thing is to wish to marry a rich man, another thing is for the rich man to wish to marry you

4 Likes

Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by UwaMmebii(m): 2:46am On Jun 08, 2021
Tony142:

Being rich is not by having alot of money but by having a lot of asset worth millions and billions of naira

What is an asset?....it is anything that put money in your pocket, for example if u build a house and you become a landlord, and u decided to rent the house to tenant, at the end of each year your tenant will be paying house rent to you, so u can see you have used your asset(house) to put money in your pocket(the money from house rent) , so for this reason we can say that a house is an asset

If u have a company and the company makes u millions of naira every month, that company is an asset

Asset and investment are similar

Guess what? In terms of money there are people in Nigeria who have more money than dangote, but yet dangote is still the richest man in Africa. Why?...because he have a lot of investment worth billions of dollar

If I have 50million naira and you have an investment worth 50million naira, you are richer than me, why?...it is because wealth is not counted by how much u have but how much your investment is worth

If u have billions of dollar your name will not still be on Forbes list, why?...because forbes will use the amount of investment and asset you have to rank you and not the amount of money u have

Here is the reason why wealth is measured by asset and not by cash

Money can disappear anytime but asset can not disappear , for example if your have a lot of houses even if your father died his children can inherit to houses and rent then out to make money, but if it is cash, u can spend it anyhow, b4 u will know the money have finished but if it is an investment it will always be there for your children to inherit

Note: jobs can not make you rich except if u are a footballer

To be consider rich you most have atleast a car, a house and alot of investment or assets that makes you millions of naira every month , if your assets makes you millions every month then you are rich, but if your assets makes you billions every month then you are wealthy, millionaires are rich, while billionaires
are wealthy cool

What a lucid explanations thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by 46arcadez(m): 3:01am On Jun 08, 2021
omolola100:
do you think a woman will now stoop so low and marry a poor man that is trying to make ends meet?
I have problem with this line, are you way richer than the man?
Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by bepositive11: 3:05am On Jun 08, 2021
Tony142:

grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by Lilpen3758: 3:05am On Jun 08, 2021
Bifwoli:

But you know what matters most -its that i went out and accomplished all the stuff i have now on my own without relying on family jewels.I can buy a brand new car if i want on 1 month's income,i paid for my 3bed house fully the week i moved in and i make in a month what most people can't make in a year.

I say these things not to brag/show off but to emphasize there's real joy in accomplishing things on your own yet these are things i would 've never ever thought even possible some years back.Honestly truly there's pleasure in toiling on your own.Just stay focussed ,work extra hard and be disciplined .
forex trader??
Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by grandstar(m): 3:08am On Jun 08, 2021
omolola100

If you marry a ready made man, he may believe you married him for his money. He won't have that much respect for you and see you like an elevated Olosho.

However, if he's struggling like yourself, when he makes it, he will sing your praises.

My brother married his Turkish wife when he had nothing. He said he was a pauper. He tried Nigerians girls and they were always sizing him up. He suffered with his Turkish wife for 7 years. There were times they didn't have money to buy bread.

Now he's got a good job and he treats his wife like a queen. She's earned it. They live in England. My brother is very faithful to her.

If she married him when he was rich, he'd not have much respect for her. He'd say, "at least she met me while I was rich. Not that we suffered together"

1 Like

Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by Lilpen3758: 3:14am On Jun 08, 2021
Bifwoli:

show me way na boss man
Abeg
Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by Kingspin(m): 3:28am On Jun 08, 2021
omolola100:
My mother advice me never to look for a rich man who is well do whenever i'm set to get married.
she said i should marry a man that we will both start our life from the foundation, according to my mum, she said it is better to suffer with man to acquire wealth, than to go for a ready made soup.

Looking at the way things are going now, do you think a woman will now stoop so low and marry a poor man that is trying to make ends meet? Although, money is not love, but why would a parent wish her daughter to marry a poor man, i am begining to see my mum as a bad mother who does'nt wish me well.
Is it advisable i follow my mothers advice? I should stay in SURULERE instead of OLORUNSOGO.
I understand your mind set, every woman want to live good life.

But remember many woman are 40 and above because of waiting to marry that rich man. YES.

That man who is rich may fall tomorrow and the one poor could rise tomorrow.

TOSS it up.
Your mum is not wicked but just telling you to be a wise daughter.
Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by Babysho(m): 3:33am On Jun 08, 2021
NeeKlaus:

So you feel you are stooping low to marry a struggling man but you don't think a rich man is stooping low to marry you, yes?

A broke woman marrying a very wealthy man = "She's securing the bag. Yassss Queen!"
A comfortable woman marrying a struggling guy = "She's stooping soooo low. Ewww!"

The standards are double these days.

To be a man in this life especially in Nigeria, my brother, it's not easy. Women that cannot turn N1 to N2 be the one dictating things and Nigerian men with their low self-esteem allow it.
Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by emmaodet: 4:32am On Jun 08, 2021
Pharaoh4rin:

Heeeeyyyyyy!!! Where's Pamela? Come and hear talk!
When I told some dudes this sort of (ur) claim, they misinterpreted it with vehemence and contempt. Calling me names....

But come bross, when will Nigerian ladies wake up to this reality? Do you know how they brag about their disdain to contribute finances to a relationship? O my guiness!

Bro i know they don't like it. The bitter truth is that you can't claim you love someone and not give gift, it is a lie, you must.
Exchange of gift in a relationship symbolises commitment and love.
You can't love and say you don't give but only at the receiving end. That is parasitism and not love.

1 Like

Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by emmaodet: 4:55am On Jun 08, 2021
mayberry1:

You came on so hard on my gender... smiley
Mistake most parents make is focusing on the male child to be independent and self reliant while lowering the bar for the female child. I believe as an individual(s/he), your goal should be how to be independent in life. I for one cringe whenever I hear ladies wishing hard to marry a rich man like money is gender based(there's nothing as sweet as working hard for your money).
People forget the law of reciprocity when it comes to good deeds, lots of women want to enjoy being showered with gifts and all the good things of life thereby forgetting to reciprocate quarter of what they get, I believe that stems from the environment they were raised, lots of folks are self-centred and only care about themselves. It all boils down to orientation and upbringing . Nobody deserves a tight-fisted, self-centred egocentric partner.

You came on so hard on my gender - Sorry just have to express my mind.It is a common trend in nigeria we have to frown at so that the coming generation will be better than us relationship wise.

Mistake most parents make is focusing on the male child to be independent and self reliant while lowering the bar for the female child - Yes, i agree. It was a flaw in the traditional settings of our parent and fore-fathers. Then, it worked and nice but i think it is not advisable to be used in this century. Alot as changed relationship wise.
Then, men were allowed to go work or school so that they will come back home and pick their wives so as to continue the tradition and culture but not anymore. More and more women are educated, working. Therefore more is expected of the in all facet of life including relationship.

I believe as an individual(s/he), your goal should be how to be independent in life - That is right, i agree with you though it has it's own draw back like every other thing in life.

I for one cringe whenever I hear ladies wishing hard to marry a rich man like money is gender based(there's nothing as sweet as working hard for your money). - Though, i don't blame them. To be honest, it is very very hard to make money. Life in general is not easy so it is not unusual to see women praying and hoping to use relationship/marriage as a poverty alleviation scheme.

People forget the law of reciprocity when it comes to good deeds, lots of women want to enjoy being showered with gifts and all the good things of life thereby forgetting to reciprocate quarter of what they get, I believe that stems from the environment they were raised, lots of folks are self-centred and only care about themselves. It all boils down to orientation and upbringing . Nobody deserves a tight-fisted, self-centred egocentric partner - Again, i agree with you. Tbh, i usually lose interest in most ladies after having sex with them because after the sex, there is virtually nothing left to keep the relationship running. Gifts are major energy fueling relationships.
After sex, the reason why most ladies still keep being in the relationship is the regular fuel added to the relationship so as to keep the fire burning - occasional recharge cards for credit or data, clothes, shoes, wrist watch, outings to clubs or Mr Biggs, a clear path from the guy analysing there future to a comfortable life so as not to surfer(all these are incentives on the woman to keep running a relationship), helping in school fees or house rent, placing gf on allowance if it is a buoyant bf etc. The list are many.
Most women have good reasons to be in a relationship but hardly do men, reason after sex most guy start acting funny.
Believe me, most guys will be put on check or scared of losing their gfs/wives if the incentives to be faithful or serious is high enough.
An average guy marrying a governor's daughter, whom the governor gave a better job or good contract business, connections, who knows when the governor dies is wife will get a large lump sum with many properties will highly behave himself unless something is wrong upstairs with him.
Most men don't have any incentives to be faithful at allllllllll.
Let me stop here, bye.
Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by Pharaoh4rin(m): 5:17am On Jun 08, 2021
emmaodet:

Bro i know they don't like it. The bitter truth is that you can't claim you love someone and not give gift, it is a lie, you must.
Exchange of gift in a relationship symbolises commitment and love.
You can't love and say you don't give but only at the receiving end. That is parasitism and not love.

Pure and simple!
Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by DrFunmisticGlow: 5:26am On Jun 08, 2021
omolola100:

I'm sorry, but that is stupid advice from your mum.

Poor men also abandon women who build with them once they get rich. The best thing to look for in a man is character. It is easy for a poor man to stay humble because he's broke, but a rich man has less reason to hide his character.
Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by adedayoa2(f): 5:33am On Jun 08, 2021
There are some men that are poor and proud, be mindful of such men. But come to think of it, who will now marry the rich men?
Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by henrygold100: 5:52am On Jun 08, 2021
Amotolongbo:
If you are already high, you don’t need a man then.

If the men have this mentality of yours, they won’t marry ladies lower than their status.

Your mother made the right statement but you didn’t get the message. She said don’t marry a rich man, she didn’t say marry a poor man. You have run foul of false dilemma, making just only an option to counter your mum’s advice ie any man not rich is poor.

There are men with no material now cos they are currently investing their mental resources to create wealth in the future. Men with potentials, these are kinda men your mum is telling you to marry.
Adding your potential value to compliment these kind of resourceful men to create wealth will earn you a maximum eternal matrimonial respect
i read your comment finish stop to de read comment. U have said it all
Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by Munzy14(m): 6:14am On Jun 08, 2021
luminouz:

And leave a broke guy like me shey? grin
Thats most women for you....cheesy

You see that line, babe I love u, It's deep and not about your money or status....na wash..grin

But, don't doubt the fact that some ladies genuinely love and respect whether you hold or you are still struggling...Kudos to such ladies...They deserve everything good...Na their type we deh pray for....And na their type we deh spoil as wife weh sabi..cheesy
Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by Came4amod: 7:06am On Jun 08, 2021
erinatso:
Aunty with due respest pls permit me to tel u that u r mad. If nt dat u ar my senior i for tel u say u no get sense
u get mind tel us say ur mum no like u

Lol I hope u now have a phone. .. this is a very very poor judgement.. not every mother loves her child .. some mothers don’t even know what love is .. because they never experienced it .. and you can’t give what you don’t have ..
Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by chris51(f): 7:11am On Jun 08, 2021
What you should look out for in a man is, that he has potential. I don't think your mother said, look for a poor man and marry. She didn't want you to fall into the trap of money bags who have no regard for wives and in-laws

1 Like

Re: Should I Follow My Mother's Advice? by chris51(f): 7:11am On Jun 08, 2021
chris51:
What you should look out for in a man is, that he has potential. I don't think your mother said, look for a poor man and marry. She didn't want you to fall into the trap of money bags who have no regard for wives and in-laws

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Ladies Is Playing Hard To Get Now Obsolete? / My Pre-wedding Photoshoot / Military Pre-Wedding Pictures Of A Nairalander

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.