Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,118 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:33 PM

I Think I'm Dating A Romance Scammer: - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / I Think I'm Dating A Romance Scammer: (3483 Views)

Guys I Think I'm About To Marry A MONSTER, Advice Me Pls, No Matter How Harsh / So I'm Dating This Girl And Now She Wants The Impossible. / I'm Dating My Friend's Sister But He Doesn't Know. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Think I'm Dating A Romance Scammer: by EllaBee: 3:32am On May 06, 2011
This is my first post, although I've been lurking for a while- hi guys smiley
I'm a European girl dating a Nigerian boy, we've been together about 6 months. We met while I was vacationing in the city he lives in. Since then we've met up many times, I am a broke student so he always pays my flights and pretty much looks after me 100% when we're together. He's always thrown money around a lot, and I've always wondered how he got his hands on his cash considering he doesn't actually have a job on top of school. Recently, I did a little snooping (wrong I know) and I think I found out- he's a member of dozens and dozens of dating sights in every country imaginable, with profiles under a bunch of different pseudonyms. I've heard (and been warned about) Nigerian scammers before, but I seriously thought this guy was just your average international student like me. He's never asked me for money, he knows I don't have any to give him, but now I'm feeling like one in a long line of women (and gay men!!!) he's trying to scam. It's so crazy, I joined Nairaland to try learn about his culture, learn to cook his food etc, I never thought I'd end up one of those pathetic women crying "I love a scammer!!!"

Anyone have any perspective on this? I seriously don't know what to do, I love this guy but looks like he's a huge liar sad

1 Like

Re: I Think I'm Dating A Romance Scammer: by tpia5: 3:33am On May 06, 2011
love is overrated.

or is it current style romance that's overrated?

I joined Nairaland to try learn about his culture, learn to cook his food etc,

This cooking thingy e get as e be.

a long line of women (and gay men!!!) he's trying to scam

shocked
Re: I Think I'm Dating A Romance Scammer: by MrsChima(f): 3:34am On May 06, 2011
For the record, that poster is not Mrs. Chima.  Just saying.   lipsrsealed smiley
Re: I Think I'm Dating A Romance Scammer: by EllaBee: 3:44am On May 06, 2011
I'm starting to think love is overrated too, I thought this guy was genuine but apparently not!! He introduced me to Nigerian food and I loved it so least I can do is try learn to cook it so he's not the one stuck in the kitchen all the time tongue But hey, maybe I should not bother, perhaps he has a million other silly European women and gay men cooking for him already, back to my dilemma,
Re: I Think I'm Dating A Romance Scammer: by MrsChima(f): 3:46am On May 06, 2011
Did you meet him online or you already met him?
Re: I Think I'm Dating A Romance Scammer: by EllaBee: 3:53am On May 06, 2011
Nope, we didn't meet online, we met for the first time in person while I was on vacation with friends in his city. We met and got chatting at a cafe, and he chased me my whole vacation until I agreed to a date. I don't think he's scamming ME, but I do think there's something going on with him, I don't know what to do :S
Re: I Think I'm Dating A Romance Scammer: by tpia5: 3:55am On May 06, 2011
about time nigerian food was commercialized for a wider international market, or why is it still considered exclusively nigerian since so many non-nigerians have said they like it after being introduced to it.

i mean, if nollywood had the same success, then why not nigerian food, especially pounded yam.

though it could be high in calories sha.

i enjoy pizza and i didnt have to date anyone before i did so.

likewise chinese food, etc.
Re: I Think I'm Dating A Romance Scammer: by EllaBee: 4:02am On May 06, 2011
tpia@:

about time nigerian food was commercialized for a wider international market, or why is it still considered exclusively nigerian since so many non-nigerians have said they like it after being introduced to it.

i mean, if nollywood had the same success, then why not nigerian food, especially pounded yam.

though it could be high in calories sha.

i enjoy pizza and i didnt have to date anyone before i did so.

likewise chinese food, etc.

I agree, it's a shame that so few non-nigerians are exposed to nigerian cuisine when it's so delicious. How wonderful would it be if instead of going out for pizza, your typical European family went out for some egusi soup! But yes it is kinda high in calories, it has definitely made my white girl yansh more to my Nigerian boy's taste grin
Re: I Think I'm Dating A Romance Scammer: by tpia5: 4:05am On May 06, 2011
^^that's my point.

i dont think nigerian food should be eaten solely because someone is dating a nigerian man.

if the product is good and appealing to a lot of non-nigerians, then it doesnt have to be tied to the men's apron springs.

it ought to transcend that, imo.

and i dont think egusi is eaten only in nigeria btw.
Re: I Think I'm Dating A Romance Scammer: by IcyIcy(f): 4:08am On May 06, 2011
@poster

I can give you some advice but would prefer to discuss it offline that's if you don't mind.  wink

Else find a time sit down and talk to him about your suspicion. If he really is interested in you, he will tell you the truth. It's up to you how you feel about the whole relationship and whether to continue.
Re: I Think I'm Dating A Romance Scammer: by EllaBee: 4:25am On May 06, 2011
tpia@:

^^that's my point.

i dont think nigerian food should be eaten solely because someone is dating a nigerian man.

if the product is good and appealing to a lot of non-nigerians, then it doesnt have to be tied to the men's apron springs.

it ought to transcend that, imo.

and i dont think egusi is eaten only in nigeria btw.

Soooo I guess I should apologise that my first exposure to Nigerian food was via a boyfriend?

Icy Icy:

@poster

I can give you some advice but would prefer to discuss it offline that's if you don't mind.  wink

Else find a time sit down and talk to him about your suspicion. If he really is interested in you, he will tell you the truth. It's up to you how you feel about the whole relationship and whether to continue.

I'm so scared of what the truth will be. If he really is a scammer, I don't think I can continue with him knowing his life is funded by innocent people who have to go without because of his lies and greed sad But maybe I should contact you, I really do need some perspective on this
Re: I Think I'm Dating A Romance Scammer: by tpia5: 4:31am On May 06, 2011
EllaBee:

Soooo I guess I should apologise that my first exposure to Nigerian food was via a boyfriend?

i was just thinking out loud, sorry.

but quite a lot of non-nigerians always give nigerian food rave reviews, and i doubt it's solely because they're dating nigerian men though i could be wrong.

i guess we need non-nigerian males to also do a taste test and give their opinion.

didnt mean to derail your thread, btw.
Re: I Think I'm Dating A Romance Scammer: by EllaBee: 8:32am On May 06, 2011
Anyone else with some insight? sad
Re: I Think I'm Dating A Romance Scammer: by adamsrib(f): 8:41am On May 06, 2011
I don't understand questions like this. Why are you asking us? We don't know your boyfriend, we can't confirm or deny any of your suspicions. Or are you silly enough to think all Nigerian men are the same? Ask him about what you have found out and see what he tells you!
Re: I Think I'm Dating A Romance Scammer: by MMM2(m): 10:16am On May 06, 2011
but he did dupe u
Re: I Think I'm Dating A Romance Scammer: by Nobody: 12:32pm On May 06, 2011
@Poster, i think you should talk to him about it and make him know you don't feel comfortable with what he does. If he trully loves you the way i want to believe , then he''ll be ready to make a change.
Trust me, i totally understand your situation.
Re: I Think I'm Dating A Romance Scammer: by segzicres(m): 12:52pm On May 06, 2011
Una don de-rail d thread. Anyways @OP just do ur thing with him. U seem satisfied to me!
Re: I Think I'm Dating A Romance Scammer: by kpolli(m): 4:25pm On May 06, 2011
first, he aint scamming u, secondly, he is scamming others to take care of u, so give the broda some credit pls
Re: I Think I'm Dating A Romance Scammer: by justwise(m): 4:36pm On May 06, 2011
EllaBee:

This is my first post, although I've been lurking for a while- hi guys smiley
I'm a European girl dating a Nigerian boy, we've been together about 6 months. We met while I was vacationing in the city he lives in. Since then we've met up many times, I am a broke student so he always pays my flights and pretty much looks after me 100% when we're together. He's always thrown money around a lot, and I've always wondered how he got his hands on his cash considering he doesn't actually have a job on top of school. Recently, I did a little snooping (wrong I know) and I think I found out- he's a member of dozens and dozens of dating sights in every country imaginable, with profiles under a bunch of different pseudonyms. I've heard (and been warned about) Nigerian scammers before, but I seriously thought this guy was just your average international student like me. He's never asked me for money, he knows I don't have any to give him, but now I'm feeling like one in a long line of women (and gay men!!!) he's trying to scam. It's so crazy, I joined Nairaland to try learn about his culture, learn to cook his food etc, I never thought I'd end up one of those pathetic women crying "I love a scammer!!!"
Anyone have any perspective on this? I seriously don't know what to do, I love this guy but looks like he's a huge liar sad
You may not be far from the truth, but it could be money from his folks, though i don't think u are ready to find out the truth, u probably scared of letting him go if u found out that he has being ripping innocent women/men off. Ask if u want to know
Re: I Think I'm Dating A Romance Scammer: by Nobody: 9:10pm On Oct 20, 2012
I know this is an old topic, but what happened with that guy??
Re: I Think I'm Dating A Romance Scammer: by 190theclown: 10:03pm On Oct 20, 2012
kpolli: first, he aint scamming u, secondly, he is scamming others to take care of u, so give the broda some credit pls

ROTFL!! grin grin grin

This issue confuse me sef grin grin
Re: I Think I'm Dating A Romance Scammer: by apache77(m): 11:42pm On Oct 20, 2012
EllaBee: This is my first post, although I've been lurking for a while- hi guys smiley

For a European, you write good English. You must have gone to good schools. No pun intended, toots, but most of the European girls who come on here write so much gibberish you get a headache trying to read them.

Or did you by any chance attend a Nigerian school?

Back to topic: He loves you and cares for you. If he wasn't buying you all those fancy clothes and shoes, would you be here saying you want to learn to cook his food n learn his culture? Leave the hustler jor.Dont go snooping into his business again..shagg him and mind your business
Re: I Think I'm Dating A Romance Scammer: by Mynd44: 3:14am On Oct 21, 2012
miss-sweety86:
How does that concern you?
Re: I Think I'm Dating A Romance Scammer: by obowunmi(m): 3:14am On Oct 21, 2012
Would you dump him if he told you he was a scammer or are you enjoying the money and gifts?

Well, even if you told him scamming others was wrong - he wouldn't stop. He has a lifestyle to keep.
Re: I Think I'm Dating A Romance Scammer: by Mynd44: 3:16am On Oct 21, 2012
Dude this topic don pass and die na.
Re: I Think I'm Dating A Romance Scammer: by Nobody: 7:47am On Oct 21, 2012
miss-sweety86:

How does that concern you?

I asked out of curiosity and because I'm facing a somehow similar situation
Re: I Think I'm Dating A Romance Scammer: by Mynd44: 7:50am On Oct 21, 2012
miss-sweety86:

I asked out of curiosity and because I'm facing a somehow similar situation
The person is probably nor on NL anymore. I suggest you call the guy and ask him about the source of his money. Don't take no foe an answer and if hiv answer is not satisfactory, you know what to do
Re: I Think I'm Dating A Romance Scammer: by Nobody: 8:31am On Oct 21, 2012
i think he told me in the past that his money comes from his family and investments... but i found some strange things online, i've asked him what he was and he told me he doesn't know, he was angry that i did some online research about him... he told me stuff like "do you think i come from a poor home?" or "how do you think i could do such a thing?"
Re: I Think I'm Dating A Romance Scammer: by Mynd44: 8:35am On Oct 21, 2012
Hmm brb for advice
Re: I Think I'm Dating A Romance Scammer: by Gbagauncatcher: 8:47am On Oct 21, 2012
Mynd_44:
The person is probably nor on NL anymore. I suggest you call the guy and ask him about the source of his money. Don't take no foe an answer and if hiv answer is not satisfactory, you know what to do
not
Re: I Think I'm Dating A Romance Scammer: by JallowBah(f): 10:20am On Oct 21, 2012
apache77:

For a European, you write good English. You must have gone to good schools. No pun intended, toots, but most of the European girls who come on here write so much gibberish you get a headache trying to read them.

Or did you by any chance attend a Nigerian school?

Back to topic: He loves you and cares for you. If he wasn't buying you all those fancy clothes and shoes, would you be here saying you want to learn to cook his food n learn his culture? Leave the hustler jor.Dont go snooping into his business again..shagg him and mind your business

Lol.

You do know that in most european contries, the kids start to learn english around the age of 9?
And for all we know, she might even be english.

And yes, it is an old topic, and I doubt she will come back to give any answers, but it would be interesting to know what happen.
Re: I Think I'm Dating A Romance Scammer: by seunadeolu(m): 10:24am On Oct 21, 2012
you are the ''scam keeper'',warming his bed at night and taking care of him, while he goes out there to do his 'JOB'
EllaBee: This is my first post, although I've been lurking for a while- hi guys smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

“she’s Always Asking For Sex” – Christembassy Pastor Seeks Divorce / I Will Hold You In My Heart Until I Can Hold You In My Arms / Married Man & Newly Engaged Woman Have Sex In Office & It’s Live On CCTV

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.