Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,501 members, 7,816,191 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:21 AM

Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport (22893 Views)

Akanu Ibiam Int’l Airport: South-East Stakeholders Allege Sabotage / Buhari Orders Immediate Release Of N5 Bn To Bomb Victims / Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by Kobojunkie: 6:57pm On May 09, 2011
lawyer:

@Gareth

The difference between me and a majority of posters here is that i dont base my own opinions on what other people write and deal with false propaganda. I make sure i have concrete facts before i post anything or say anything. The last paragraph of mine that you said my demands for transportation, roads, schools, hospitals etc in the lekki ajah express way shows my lack of knowledge of the masterplan done by fashola is totally wrong.

Fashola did not create the lagos master plan neither did tinubu create it. It has always been in the master plan since Jakande's era and expanded by other governors. In fact it was raji rasaki that put more effort in creating the masterplan to the lekki ajah axis and nobody expected such a population explosion in that area from 1999 till date. When your talking about a master plan without good roads how do you achieve it? Isnt it one long 40km dual highway from Ozumba Mbadiwe till you get to the julius berger bridge in the Epe township that divides it? How do you expect people to cope when the cabinet office confirms a small town in its gazette every 3 months and bring more people to buy their lands without infrastructures.

What is the last school constructed in the lekki/ajah environment and what town is it located to accommodate how many people? Where was the last hospital or maternity clinic constructed in that axis by the government? Do you know the distances people travel to get free health care for those who cant afford private hospitals? From Green spring school around lakowe can you tell me of any hospital, bank, school or any other lagos state government presence there? I shuttle those places weekly when i go for property searches and i have seen things and heard complains from ordinary folks that live there and  Apart from the controversy of the toll gate expansion that is not received too favorably by the populace, what other road or outlet are they constructing? The only roads i know are the ones that have large government estates that costs over N15Million to get a plot that they are constructing link roads such as the Lekki scheme 2, the abijo estates, eko akete housing scheme etc. I dont see any tarred road construction in areas like sangotedo, lakowe, eputu, odaragunshin etc where average people like us that dont have money to buy N10Million lands can connect the road.

Even the so called coastal road that is supposed to be the alternative road for toll gate people hasn't been constructed because they know they won't gain any revenue from it and its even in the  so called master plan that provides for 3 more coastal roads to assist road users but the govt forgot to place priority on the roads that deserve the populace attention rather its the one they can collect toll fees from they are concentrating on. Since Tinubu's era we have been hearing 4th mainland bridge, 4th mainland bridge and till date we haven't seen one stone , mortar or brick to commence work. Which is more important to people working on the Island, a 4th mainland bridge that will cost half of that amount budgeted for the airport or an Airport that i might only use probably 7times in a year?

There is a big difference between the master plan on paper and the plan they finally carry out at the end of the day, thats why i will still stand my ground that the amount of money to be spent on the airport can do wonders in opening up the lekki/ajah, epe express way if that money is invested wisely to create more roads and more immediate amenities. There are countries that have only 1 airport and they haven't disappeared from the planet. Up till date using MM hasn't killed anybody. People from Ibadan, abeokuta, Ife, akure etc still drive all the way down to Muritala in Ikeja to fly to their different destinations so there isnt any thing new the airport will do that will change that.

Talking about the FTZ When last did you visit it? I was there 2 weeks ago and i can assure you that half of the population in the lekki/ajah epe axis don't even know where the place is and apart from AMEN Estate there and  Eleko Beach  what other development is there surrounding the ftz that the populace there can lay claim to that they have benefited from apart from land speculators buying up lands in the last 15 years waiting for something concrete to happen but it only occurs in Newspapers and LTV 8? The eleko road was built almost 20 years ago so it isn't a TINUBU/FASHOLA thing.

So Oga am not misinformed. I get my information directly from the surveyor general's office, ministry of waterfront, the cabinet office, town planning and land bureau and i go there myself to see things one on one. Master plans are paper plans until it has been realized in a feasible and realistic manner. Do you know how many times the master plan has been altered to accommodate different new towns created or the ones judgment has been given in their favour? Do you know how many people have bought lands in places tha has been acquired by government but because of the large population there they ignored the master plan to focus on the well being of people? Look at Badore for example, the 4th mainland bridge is supposed to pass there but the number of houses there are so many from the spot the 4th mainland bridge is supposed to pass through that they will have to demolish thousands of houses to achieve it. Do you think any right thinking government will demolish 1000s of homes and the owners of the houses will walk quietly into the night without any fight back? Wont the master plan be altered to accommodate where things haven't gone on smoothly?

Priorities first and be prudent with tax payers money. That's all i ask  from the Fashola Government. Nobody is antagonizing them, just do the right thing and the right time.

@Enyojo, please take time to read this report  please . . . this is information that many try to SHOUT DOWN. . . . Like I keep mentioning, we are four years into the implementation of said plans at this time, and it is time to try to see what is happening . . , not continue to pretend it is all FLASHY AND SHINY all the way.
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by heryyy(m): 7:02pm On May 09, 2011
WHO BE THIS MUSIWA SELF,DONT YOU HAVE ANY BETTER THINGS TO DO THAN COMING UP WITH SOME USELESS MAPS AND PHOTOS ALL THE TIME,because U'VE GOT A SATELITE SOFTWARE ON YOUR LAPTOP DOESNT MEAN YOU SHOULD START PERFORMING ANY USELESS EXPERIMENT OF YOUR CHEAP GADGET ON NAIRALAND ? IF ANYONE NEEDS TO SEE THE MAP THEY KNOW THE RIGHT PLACE TO SEARCH, ABEG GO SLEEP JOOR undecided undecided
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by enyojo(f): 7:03pm On May 09, 2011
Kobojunkie:

@Enyojo, please take time to read this report please . . . this is information that many try to SHOUT DOWN. . . .

I've gone thru what lawyer has written. but the only thing is that while Lawyer has LLB law, I am a qualified Engineer.
So I know Infrastructural and Structural issues than what an officer in the Governmnent office dishes out to him.

Like I said, I have personally been involved in many of these projects of fashola.
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by enyojo(f): 7:05pm On May 09, 2011
paddy_lo:

[b]I hope people on this site are not arguing aimlessly about this Airport in Lekki

I believe this project will be mostly Financed by Private investors who will raise capital on their own and then recoup their money after some time

Just like Bi-courtney is doing with MM2. . .Local terminal

Now going to some of the arguments put forward. . even if the State Government makes an investment of say 30% of the total project cost

I expect it to get returns to the tune of its equity or debt(bond) investment in the project

I know that in my former city of Philadelphia,the Int Airport there is a money maker for the city. . .

so again a lot of these arguments are not necessary. . .

If the state Govt invests in the airport. . It will likely be making more money than it invested in yrs to come

If it doesnt then it will be a solely Private sector driven project. . In either case its a win-win scenario

[s]of course a few ppl on here love to hear themselves talk and argue for ages. . twisting themselves in knots like junkies. .and using big words that ultimately signify and mean nothing[/s]
however for the rest of the sane ppl on this thread. . just read what i wrote. .

and see that this project will be 100% good for the state and the country. .[/b]

Must u be abusive?
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by Kobojunkie: 7:07pm On May 09, 2011
enyojo:

I've gone thru what lawyer has written. but the only thing is that while Lawyer has LLB law, I am a qualified Engineer.
So I know Infrastructural and Structural issues than what an officer in the Governmnent office dishes out to him.

Like I said, I have personally been involved in many of these projects of fashola.

um . . . . . I thought we were reviewing this simply as average Lagoscians  . . . after-all the money in question does not belong to any one group in the society but to ALL the people, tax payers included?

In my opinion, being involved in the projects is a completely different thing entirely. @Lawyer there tried to give his view -- seems more from the point of view of the an average person wondering what is going on, from the outside. I keep having to say this -- but yes, it has been 4 years, and he is telling us what he sees, lives and witnesses. Shouldn't that matter more than the fact that you have been personally involved in the projects?
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by enyojo(f): 7:11pm On May 09, 2011
@ Kobojunkie,
I was once managing a project that cost lagos State Government N4.4Billion.
It is a Large Water Treatment Plant at Ikorodu axis.

We had some issues with the EPC Contractor.
The MD lives beside Tinubu at Boudilon (?) road, Ikoyi. Infact, he got the contract at the instance of Tinubu.
They said I was proving too difficult,
Just a call,  and I was given a 'Federal' warning.
I can't open up as I should
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by EkoIle1: 7:12pm On May 09, 2011
rabzy:

Thanks so much for this, people here think its just what is posted here on Nairaland that is happening on the ground. I remember a time when this guy just came in and he was doing a lot of road construction and it was causing a lot of traffic e.g western avenue road, Egbeda-Iba road, people were complaining that he should take them one after the other, now some are saying he has done little for the common man.

The BRT Transport, how many of those 'elites' ride on them? What are the things he has done for the people in the Lekki-axis, that makes him Elitist, even the Lekki_Epe expressway, they say they don't want it because of the toll, all other projects there are under-construction.
But in the mainland, He has built several General Hospitals and Maternity Homes, A lot of Roads were built/resurfaced in Surulere/Alaka, In Ikotun/Igando, Egbeda new roads were constructed and a whole lot were repaired.
Many New mini-water works were also completed, but a lot of people in Lagos live in rented houses, most of those lanlords are not interested in spending a dime to join the water-grid, In my street in Orile Agege, there is a water line that passes right in front of us all, it was just two or three houses that connected to it, people would rather burst the pipe and fetch the wasting water than spend money to connect. Even when one man provided water free in the neighborhood, some people when in the night and destroyed the faucets.

You know, I hear the same elitist nonsense all the time and the minute you ask them to list the elitist projects in Lekki, they shut up because they have nothing to list, all the projects in the area are PPP projects and not direct state projects, but the mainland is not only getting tons of PPP projects, the  mainland is getting way way more direct state projects.

All the 15 water works built by the state are all on the mainland, nearly all the drivers institutes are on the mainland, the new hospitals, martanal centers and clinics are mostly on the mainland , in fact the state itself and many of it's activities are mostly on the mainland. If you ask me, lekki and the surrounding communities are getting shortchanged.

You see how you listed the projects and what the state is doing on the mainland? It shows you know what you are talking about and you are familair with the state's activities,  many of these negatives folks can not because they are either not Lagosians and don't know anything about Lagos state, they don't care about Lagos state and they have no interest in the state or they are just the usual negatives folks from the east of the Niger,
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by EkoIle1: 7:17pm On May 09, 2011
johnie:

There is a contradiction between the  news headline and first paragraph of the story on one hand and the comment of the governor's adviser on the other hand. The former claims that the government is to spend N102bn of tax payers' money while the adviser says that the government will only woo private investors:

The Lagos State Government is to spend N102 billion ($ 650 million) on the construction of the Lekki International Airport which is expected to commence operation in May 2012.
The Commissioner for Commerce and Industry, Mr. Adeniyi Oyemade, a Public Private Partnership projector told reporters in Ikeja that the proposed airport would handle 5 million passengers annually.

“The state government has obtained the site approval for the airport from the Federal ministry of Aviation and completed the master plan on the 3500 hectares of land for the project.

The Governor has also approved the conduct of the topographical and geotechnical survey of the 3500 hectares of land allocated for the Airport,” he said. Its construction will engage over 2,000 direct and indirect workers.

Also speaking on the project the Special Adviser to the Governor on Commerce and Industry, Mrs. Olusola Oworu, said “the state government believes that this is an investment that can be run only by the private sector because it is commercially viable to have the second international airport in Lagos state which will be running at maximum capacity.

“What the state government will do for the private companies is to create an enabling environment for the investors.  And as we speak today, the state government has appointed a commercial adviser who will assist the state government in putting the data’s that will be sent out to prospective investors who will send in their codes for the project,” she added.

The state government has appointed Mace Group, a United Kingdom based firms International Development Unit (IDU) team as the project manager for the preparation of a master plan for the new Airport   which will be built next to the 16,500ha Lekki Free Trade Zone.

Lagos state is not spending that money on anything, they obviously don't have that kind of money, it's going to be privately funded like the LFT and other major projects in the area.

Let's apply common sense here,
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by Kobojunkie: 7:17pm On May 09, 2011
enyojo:

@ Kobojunkie,
I was once managing a project that cost lagos State Government N4.4Billion.
It is a Large Water Treatment Plant at Ikorodu axis.

We had some issues with the EPC Contractor.
The MD lives beside Tinubu at Boudilon (?) road, Ikoyi. Infact, he got the contract at the instance of Tinubu.
They said I was proving too difficult,
Just a call,  and I was given a 'Federal' warning.
I can't open up as I should

Fine . . . I get that BUT it has been 4(FOUR) years  . . . . FOUR YEARS AFTER TINUBU was Governor  . . . FOUR YEARS later. I don't think people like @Lawyer, and the many others who live in Lagos will care for the excuses any more. The other day I had to send money home to help refill the road in front of our place because of erosion problems due to bad drainage in the area still. I don't think you telling me Tinubu this and that matters much to me since, as far as we know now .  . . . he is not the problem but instead a part of the Government, by the invitation of the present Government.
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by enyojo(f): 7:20pm On May 09, 2011
I left that company and I was picked up as a Consultant to some Federal Gvt power projects that are directly under the Presidency. That was when I saw (and still seeing) the rot under the GEJ administration. The difference btw Fashola and jonathan is like heaven and earth.
It is alarming!!. Going by the way GEJ and Sambo are going, forget constant power till 2050!! Unless he wakes up like a man with some balls.
Why I supported Buhari was when I saw the way the EPC contractors were shaking in their undies for fear of Buhari taking over. When u see the jubilations that greated the emergence of GEJ. I wept for Nigeria. It costs Nigeria billions upon billions to build these Power projects.

sorry to divert the thread
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by enyojo(f): 7:22pm On May 09, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Fine . . . I get that BUT it has been 4(FOUR) years . . . . FOUR YEARS AFTER TINUBU was Governor . . . FOUR YEARS later. I don't think people like @Lawyer, and the many others who live in Lagos will care for the excuses any more. The other day I had to send money home to help refill the road in front of our place because of erosion problems due to bad drainage in the area still. I don't think you telling me Tinubu this and that matters much to me since, as far as we know now . . . . he is not the problem but instead a part of the Government, by the invitation of the present Government.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
U gave me a good laugh this night.

so sorry for
The other day I had to send money home to help refill the road in front of our place because of erosion problems due to bad drainage in the area still
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by johnie: 7:29pm On May 09, 2011
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by Kobojunkie: 7:31pm On May 09, 2011
enyojo:

so sorry for

But this is what many of us here have come to accept as routine . . . I had to threaten them back there. It is sad that it is NORMAL now but it is reality of many in the place. Some of our neighbors are not so lucky . . . you should see the huge gully in front of their house, where the road used to be. They now fill it with it with refuse and all sorts of yuck. lol

Again, it's been 4 years . . . no one is denying that road, and schools have not been worked on. Much of what many are saying, and some wondering is whether it is not a better idea now for the same Government to invest just as heavily in development of the basics, as it is in the big projects. Or maybe invest 100% of the State's monthly allocation for the next 6-9 months, into vigorously tackling the issue of amenities ONCE AND FOR ALL( ofcourse there will be maintaince to deal with in the long run but when the foundation is great, you find that maintainance becomes a non-issue).

An 8 year old Child (2007) would probably be 20 years of age by the time this LTZ project is completed, and becomes viable. Is that child's life to be on the so-so levels till then? Or are we going to VIGOROUSLY train our 12 year olds now, so that by the time they are 20, they are able to take on the new jobs headon and increase the value of our investment, or are we going to have to ship skilled minds in to do the major jobs while this now 12 year old is left to the menial jobs?
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by EkoIle1: 7:32pm On May 09, 2011
lawyer:

@Gareth

The difference between me and a majority of posters here is that i dont base my own opinions on what other people write and deal with false propaganda. I make sure i have concrete facts before i post anything or say anything. The last paragraph of mine that you said my demands for transportation, roads, schools, hospitals etc in the lekki ajah express way shows my lack of knowledge of the masterplan done by fashola is totally wrong.

Fashola did not create the lagos master plan neither did tinubu create it. It has always been in the master plan since Jakande's era and expanded by other governors. In fact it was raji rasaki that put more effort in creating the masterplan to the lekki ajah axis and nobody expected such a population explosion in that area from 1999 till date. When your talking about a master plan without good roads how do you achieve it? Isnt it one long 40km dual highway from Ozumba Mbadiwe till you get to the julius berger bridge in the Epe township that divides it? How do you expect people to cope when the cabinet office confirms a small town in its gazette every 3 months and bring more people to buy their lands without infrastructures.

What is the last school constructed in the lekki/ajah environment and what town is it located to accommodate how many people? Where was the last hospital or maternity clinic constructed in that axis by the government? Do you know the distances people travel to get free health care for those who cant afford private hospitals? From Green spring school around lakowe can you tell me of any hospital, bank, school or any other lagos state government presence there? I shuttle those places weekly when i go for property searches and i have seen things and heard complains from ordinary folks that live there and  Apart from the controversy of the toll gate expansion that is not received too favorably by the populace, what other road or outlet are they constructing? The only roads i know are the ones that have large government estates that costs over N15Million to get a plot that they are constructing link roads such as the Lekki scheme 2, the abijo estates, eko akete housing scheme etc. I dont see any tarred road construction in areas like sangotedo, lakowe, eputu, odaragunshin etc where average people like us that dont have money to buy N10Million lands can connect the road.

Even the so called coastal road that is supposed to be the alternative road for toll gate people hasn't been constructed because they know they won't gain any revenue from it and its even in the  so called master plan that provides for 3 more coastal roads to assist road users but the govt forgot to place priority on the roads that deserve the populace attention rather its the one they can collect toll fees from they are concentrating on. Since Tinubu's era we have been hearing 4th mainland bridge, 4th mainland bridge and till date we haven't seen one stone , mortar or brick to commence work. Which is more important to people working on the Island, a 4th mainland bridge that will cost half of that amount budgeted for the airport or an Airport that i might only use probably 7times in a year?

There is a big difference between the master plan on paper and the plan they finally carry out at the end of the day, thats why i will still stand my ground that the amount of money to be spent on the airport can do wonders in opening up the lekki/ajah, epe express way if that money is invested wisely to create more roads and more immediate amenities. There are countries that have only 1 airport and they haven't disappeared from the planet. Up till date using MM hasn't killed anybody. People from Ibadan, abeokuta, Ife, akure etc still drive all the way down to Muritala in Ikeja to fly to their different destinations so there isnt any thing new the airport will do that will change that.

Talking about the FTZ When last did you visit it? I was there 2 weeks ago and i can assure you that half of the population in the lekki/ajah epe axis don't even know where the place is and apart from AMEN Estate there and  Eleko Beach  what other development is there surrounding the ftz that the populace there can lay claim to that they have benefited from apart from land speculators buying up lands in the last 15 years waiting for something concrete to happen but it only occurs in Newspapers and LTV 8? The eleko road was built almost 20 years ago so it isn't a TINUBU/FASHOLA thing.

So Oga am not misinformed. I get my information directly from the surveyor general's office, ministry of waterfront, the cabinet office, town planning and land bureau and i go there myself to see things one on one. Master plans are paper plans until it has been realized in a feasible and realistic manner. Do you know how many times the master plan has been altered to accommodate different new towns created or the ones judgment has been given in their favour? Do you know how many people have bought lands in places tha has been acquired by government but because of the large population there they ignored the master plan to focus on the well being of people? Look at Badore for example, the 4th mainland bridge is supposed to pass there but the number of houses there are so many from the spot the 4th mainland bridge is supposed to pass through that they will have to demolish thousands of houses to achieve it. Do you think any right thinking government will demolish 1000s of homes and the owners of the houses will walk quietly into the night without any fight back? Wont the master plan be altered to accommodate where things haven't gone on smoothly?

Priorities first and be prudent with tax payers money. That's all i ask  from the Fashola Government. Nobody is antagonizing them, just do the right thing and the right time.

You don't know what you are talking about and you are dangerously misinformed. You just stitched up a bunch of ignorant and pessimistic mombo jombo,

The government can not do all the things you listed and no government on the face of the earth is doing such, the only way to open up any area for rapid development is to creat the necessary atmosphere for private entities to move in and crate jobs and from there, down stream activities like schools, clinics, hospitals, accommodation, restaurants and many more moves in to cater to the new development, that's how it's done.

You can not survive or sustain anything in any area without viable business and economic activities to help the place germinate and remain  prosperous.

This is development 101 and the state is doing the right thing,
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by dplordx(m): 7:42pm On May 09, 2011
enyojo:

I left that company and I was picked up as a Consultant to some Federal Gvt power projects that are directly under the Presidency. That was when I saw (and still seeing) the rot under the GEJ administration. The difference btw Fashola and jonathan is like heaven and earth.
It is alarming!!. Going by the way GEJ and Sambo are going, forget constant power till 2050!! Unless he wakes up like a man with some balls.
Why I supported Buhari was when I saw the way the EPC contractors were shaking in their undies for fear of Buhari taking over. When u see the jubilations that greated the emergence of GEJ. I wept for Nigeria. It costs Nigeria billions upon billions to build these Power projects.

ROFL! grin Anyways, the fuel scarcity greeted me when I entered Gwarimpa today. I already called the folks at home to load the gallons and cans. Seems like its gonna be a big ugly shitty smelly air for the next 4 years cool. Anyways, I wont be disappointed, coz I know GEJ is a loser.
I wont put my hope on GEJ any bit than I would put in Sani Abachi, and I hope his fans dont groan too loud for my discomfort when he spends the next 4 years doing nothing but politicking and talking about having no shoes.

Back to BRF and the airport: it is a commendable dream. But is it the problem facing Lagosians right now: NOPE!
We have far more pressing challenges! Security isnt what it used to be. The roads are wearing out. We need BRF to fix the basics. Is that too much for a huge fan to ask? angry
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by EkoIle1: 7:44pm On May 09, 2011
paddy_lo:

[b]I hope people on this site are not arguing aimlessly about this Airport in Lekki

I believe this project will be mostly Financed by Private investors who will raise capital on their own and then recoup their money after some time

Just like Bi-courtney is doing with MM2. . .Local terminal

Now going to some of the arguments put forward. . even if the State Government makes an investment of say 30% of the total project cost

I expect it to get returns to the tune of its equity or debt(bond) investment in the project

I know that in my former city of Philadelphia,the Int  Airport there is a money maker for the city. . .

so again a lot of these arguments are not necessary. . .

If the state Govt invests in the airport. . It will likely be making more money than it invested in yrs to come

If it doesnt then it will be a solely Private sector driven project. . In either case its a win-win scenario[b][color=#990000]

of course a few ppl on here love to hear themselves talk and argue for ages. . twisting themselves in knots like junkies. .and using big words that ultimately signify and mean nothing

however for the rest of the sane ppl on this thread. . just read what i wrote. .
[/b]
and see that this project will be 100% good for the state and the country. .[/b][/color]

Well said.

Unfortunately many just argue with zero clue about what they are arguing about. The same negative folks were here bad mouthing the BRT back then, they labeled it white elephant, waste of tax payers money and all kinds of ridiculousness and ignorant nonsense. The fact is, just like many visionary moves made by lagos state like the metro rail, the 10 lane lagos badagry express, this airport is going to be built and I'm glad for the fact that these negatives and close minded people are not part of any decision making apparatus at Alausa.
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by Kobojunkie: 8:03pm On May 09, 2011
dplordx:

ROFL! grin Anyways, the fuel scarcity greeted me when I entered Gwarimpa today. I already called the folks at home to load the gallons and cans. Seems like its gonna be a big ugly shitty smelly air for the next 4 years cool. Anyways, I wont be disappointed, coz I know GEJ is a loser.
I wont put my hope on GEJ any bit than I would put in Sani Abachi, and I hope his fans dont groan too loud for my discomfort when he spends the next 4 years doing nothing but politicking and talking about having no shoes.

Back to BRF and the airport: it is a commendable dream. But is it the problem facing Lagosians right now: NOPE!
We have far more pressing challenges! Security isnt what it used to be. The roads are wearing out. We need BRF to fix the basics. Is that too much for a huge fan to ask? angry

Fuel Scarcity again? I don tell my people make them learn to "Make hay while the sun shines " . . Gas is expensive all over . . . lol
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by lawyer(m): 8:07pm On May 09, 2011
Eko Ile:

You don't know what you are talking about and you are dangerously misinformed. You just stitched up a bunch of ignorant and pessimistic mombo jombo,

The government can not do all the things you listed and no government on the face of the earth is doing such, the only way to open up any area for rapid development is to creat the necessary atmosphere for private entities to move in and crate jobs and from there, down stream activities like schools, clinics, hospitals, accommodation, restaurants and many more moves in to cater to the new development, that's how it's done.

You can not survive or sustain anything in any area without viable business and economic activities to help the place germinate and remain  prosperous.

This is development 101 and the state is doing the right thing,

@eko ile

I was thinking this was a forum where we are to learn from each other and back our arguments with evidences and not insults. I hardly post anything in the politics section because people like you degrade it to insults for no reason and i only contributed to this topic because it deals with environments i know very well and its left for people to prove me wrong rather than transform it into insults. In fact your the first person in 6 pages to actually take it personal and stir up an insult contest. I won't come down to your level because after going through all your other posts i have seen why alot of Nairalanders in the politics section always square up to you and insult you.

I used to wonder why people abuse you alot now i know better and unfortunately i would not be one of those you derive joy in from to derail a thread into a personal insult fest.  It Is a forum to learn and proffer arguments and counter arguments. My answers might not go well with you and am not a die hard fanatic of a political party or governor. All i want is the best for myself and my neighbors and if you have a better argument to prove me wrong go ahead but Your response neither provided any meaningful argument to buttress your claim and show why i am so ignorant. So go and look for our insult partners and do what you do best and when you have something worthwhile to contribute feel free to exercise your right to post in a civil manner.
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by EkoIle1: 8:09pm On May 09, 2011
Kobojunkie:

But this is what many of us here have come to accept as routine . . . I had to threaten them back there. It is sad that it is NORMAL now but it is reality of many in the place. Some of our neighbors are not so lucky . . . you should see the huge gully in front of their house, where the road used to be. They now fill it with it with refuse and all sorts of yuck. lol

Again, it's been 4 years . . . no one is denying that road, and schools have not been worked on. Much of what many are saying, and some wondering is whether it is not a better idea now for the same Government to invest just as heavily in development of the basics, as it is in the big projects. Or maybe invest 100% of the State's monthly allocation for the next 6-9 months, into vigorously tackling the issue of amenities ONCE AND FOR ALL( ofcourse there will be maintaince to deal with in the long run but when the foundation is great, you find that maintainance becomes a non-issue).

An 8 year old Child (2007) would probably be 20 years of age by the time this LTZ project is completed, and becomes viable. Is that child's life to be on the so-so levels till then? Or are we going to VIGOROUSLY train our 12 year olds now, so that by the time they are 20, they are able to take on the new jobs headon and increase the value of our investment, or are we going to have to ship skilled minds in to do the major jobs while this now 12 year old is left to the menial jobs?

Unfortunately for you and fortunately for Romans, they did have people like you around or else, Rome go still dey stone age. Rome was not built in a day. There is no easy fix or magical solution to decades of rot and neglect and saying the government should spend it's allocations on just one thing alone sounds a little silly.

Of what sensible use are your social services if the same people consuming the services have no jobs and by extension, no paychecks for the state to tax and get money to provide the the same social services?

Is crating jobs and promoting economic growth not part of the duties we assigned to the government? Must you people really think backward instead of forward?
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by Mariory(m): 8:09pm On May 09, 2011
Why do you folks continue to argue with clowns on nairaland. For six pages, the same arguments and counter arguments.

The LFTZ is so much more than the airport. It has a sea port as well as a refinery, Power Project etc. As if the money being spent is enough to fix all the roads, schools, water works, and bicycles in Lagos for the same time frame.
Leave the folks on here to be talking about "people oriented infrastructure", "projects that benefit the common man", "projects that will put food in the mouth of the market woman". I guess the people who will be working, living, and feeding in the LFTZ will be imported from Benin Republic. Just like Eko Atlantic city will be populated by Ghanians.
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by EkoIle1: 8:25pm On May 09, 2011
lawyer:

@eko ile

I was thinking this was a forum where we are to learn from each other and back our arguments with evidences and not insults. I hardly post anything in the politics section because people like you degrade it to insults for no reason and i only contributed to this topic because it deals with environments i know very well and its left for people to prove me wrong rather than transform it into insults. In fact your the first person in 6 pages to actually take it personal and stir up an insult contest. I won't come down to your level because after going through all your other posts i have seen why alot of Nairalanders in the politics section always square up to you and insult you.

I used to wonder why people abuse you alot now i know better and unfortunately i would not be one of those you derive joy in from to derail a thread into a personal insult fest.  It Is a forum to learn and proffer arguments and counter arguments. My answers might not go well with you and am not a die hard fanatic of a political party or governor. All i want is the best for myself and my neighbors and if you have a better argument to prove me wrong go ahead but Your response neither provided any meaningful argument to buttress your claim and show why i am so ignorant. So go and look for our insult partners and do what you do best and when you have something worthwhile to contribute feel free to exercise your right to post in a civil manner.

You mind showing me the insults?  

Again, you spewed a log of ignorant assertions (Ignorance = Lack of knowledge and not insult) about LFT and basic concepts of economic development. Let's debate basic economics and save the meaningless crap about who you are fanatical about.

You are also free to go back to where you normally post your misinformed  rubbish, we deal with facts here, not lies and silly sentiments,

You went to LFT 2 weeks ago and you saw nothing? You even asserted that people in the area don't know anything about the project, but the state is talking about it everyday, there are hard working state officials including the LFT empress (Shola Oworu) working on the project 24/7, the governor campaigned in the are just weak ago shouting about the projects to the same constituents in the area and promising to prioritize the project.

This is a video about the project stating categorically that the airport is sitting next to LFT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk1bG57flNw&feature=related
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by EkoIle1: 8:31pm On May 09, 2011
Mariory:

Why do you folks continue to argue with clowns on nairaland. For six pages, the same arguments and counter arguments.

The LFTZ is so much more than the airport. It has a sea port as well as a refinery, Power Project etc. As if the money being spent is enough to fix all the roads, schools, water works, and bicycles in Lagos for the same time frame.
Leave the folks on here to be talking about "people oriented infrastructure", "projects that benefit the common man", "projects that will put food in the mouth of the market woman". I guess the people who will be working, living, and feeding in the LFTZ will be imported from Benin Republic. Just like Eko Atlantic city will be populated by Ghanians.

I taya for these folks I swear. You read the silliest and the most absurd comments on NL.
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by oluwabamis(m): 8:34pm On May 09, 2011
lagos is really bitting more than it can chew, we dont need another airport in lagos, that money could be diverted to infrastructure developement. Fashola, pls concentrate on projects that will affect the common man for good, they voted you in
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by Kobojunkie: 8:35pm On May 09, 2011
This is so you get this @enyojo  grin grin grin

enyojo:

so sorry for

An 8 year old Child (2007) would probably be 20 years of age by the time this LTZ project is completed, and becomes viable. Is that child's life to be on the so-so levels till then? Do we expect the child's life to AUTOMAGICALLY CATCH UP with progress, given what we already know of the state of education countrywide. Or are we going to VIGOROUSLY train our 12 year olds now, so that by the time they are 20, they are able to take on the new jobs headon and increase the value of our investment, or are we going to have to ship skilled minds in to do the major jobs while this now 12 year old is left to the menial jobs?
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by opalu: 8:41pm On May 09, 2011
lawyer:

@eko ile

Lawyer is right, no abuses. Just issues
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by EkoIle1: 8:52pm On May 09, 2011
opalu:

Lawyer is right, no abuses. Just issues

Right about what? Spewing crap, lies and misinformation?

How do you say the communities in the area don't know anything about the LFT when the same folks live and have houses next to the zone and in front of the zone, there is also a major road that the folks in the community drive through everyday?

It's perfectly OK to be against the project, but please bring credible facts to defend your objections, not lies. Some on NL are mumu, but I'm not.

The video below shows you what's going on in the area and folks living around the are and also a major road right in front of LFT.

The guy in the video basically walked off the road right into the zone with his camera, but we have this lawyer dude talking about LFT as is it's some kind of wuruwuru project buried somewhere,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIsFNhkZlrQ&feature=related

Dishonesty is not a great virtue,
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by Nobody: 8:58pm On May 09, 2011
this is my beef with fashola,  Lekki already has automatic development going on for it. Property values are healthy in Lekki. New home onwers are more likely to choose Lekki if they have the money,  Now, please make another area better please,  Not everywhere in Lagos is an Island or has the natural beauty of one,  Lekki will be a global city in no time but how about making the state beautiful? Seriously that money is too much for even a space station talkless of international airport.

It seem Fashola is focusing on an easy to develop areas and taking up challenges of places like Mushin, Ikorodu, even state capital Ikeja, Yaba areas, Ajegunle is still a global slum to me,  Seriously Fashola, it wasn't the Lekki population that voted you in. And I'm originally an Islander but I think development has been too biased, 

Eko oni baje
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by opalu: 8:59pm On May 09, 2011
enyojo:

I also supported the BB+, but I think since GEJ has finished his Retreat, he will fire aall d contractors who do not deliver. just today, they said in 4pm News that BPE is about to name the buyers of the splitted/dismantled NEPA.
Lets pray he doesnt fail since it will still fall on us.

As for airport, hope Fashola will be his own man this time.
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by opalu: 9:01pm On May 09, 2011
Eko Ile:

Right about what? Spewing crap, lies and misinformation?

How do you say the communities in the area don't know anything about the LFT when the same folks live and have houses next to the zone and in front of the zone, there is also a major road that the folks in the community drive through everyday?

It's perfectly OK to be against the project, but please bring credible facts to defend your objections, not lies. Some on NL are mumu, but I'm not.

The video below shows you what's going on in the area and folks living around the are and also a major road right in front of LFT.

The guy in the video basically walked off the road right into the zone with his camera, but we have this lawyer dude talking about LFT as is it's some kind of wuruwuru project buried somewhere,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIsFNhkZlrQ&feature=related

Dishonesty is not a great virtue,

Right about the issue dat no abuses just state ur opinion and leave it for intelligent peeps to judge. I've not posted much on this thread but my opinion has been highly shaped by many comments.
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by EkoIle1: 9:06pm On May 09, 2011
opalu:

Right about the issue dat no abuses just state your opinion and leave it for intelligent peeps to judge. I've not posted much on this thread but my opinion has been highly shaped by many comments.

I was expecting you to point out the insult as asked, not to come up with another irrelevant stuff.

Show me the insults or just keep quiet.
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by hercules07: 9:06pm On May 09, 2011
GEJ will fire who? If obasanjo does not endorse it, nothing dey happen. As per the airport, since it will be private driven, it is not for the common man and the investors will make their money from taxing the elites who use it, then I have no problems with it, let the state government make it fully private, spend as little money as possible on it but make sure they get a share of the profit. I am not for privatization of everything but in the case of an airport, abeg let them build it, when I use it, then I pay the extortionist charges, non essential amenities such as airports should be fully privatised, the rail system can be privatised as well, it is when government privatises essential things that I get upset, so Fashola carry go, nothing do you ooooo.
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by paddylo1(m): 9:34pm On May 09, 2011
[b]once again i guess people arguing against this project didnt read what i wrote in the last page. .

So here goes i will try this one more time. .

There are only 2 possible Financing scenarios for this project. . capiche?

one is that the Lagos state Govt is contributing nada. . . zero. . . zilch. . nothing. . no money to finance this

the other is that they are making an investment in the Airport project in the form of equity or debt. .

now think of when MTN Nigeria came to be. . imagine the state Govt invested in 10% of MTN in 2003. .and kept its stake till today. . (some 7yrs later)

That money they used to invest could have been used for something else. . but today a 10% stake in MTN Nigeria would be worth some $1.5Billion Dollars. .(MTN Nigeria is valued at $15 Billion Dollars)

This is what we are talking about. . . .u guys should have a change of mentality. . its about private equity. . . debt financing or PPP. . . and everything is for profit. . esp projects of this magnitude. . u dont build a $700 million dollar project to make losses .  . who would lend u the money in the first place?

now as for those of u talking of social programs like welfare for the poor, health care. . . education etc.  . know that the state govt cannot bear the burden alone

In the USA if i move from Pennsylvania to NY state. . before i can access NY city/State owned health care facilities. .i have to present ID. . showing that i reside in the state(NY state address). . .at the hospital before i receive treatment. . . because i must be paying taxes to the state or be able to be sent my bill to my New York address, in case i refuse/or am unable to pay immediately

In Nigeria this is next to impossible. . . people move from the village to LAGOS in thousands everyday. .yet they pay no taxes to the state. .yet we expect the state to provide services to all these ppl. .

again i re-iterate. . for the reasonable ones on this thread. .u can see that there is no reason to be arguing blindly. . . for the rest of you that still refuse to see reason. .i cannot help u. . .u dont really have to argue blind or for arguments sake. . .  Theres a reason the developed world is developed. . and we wont get there if people continue to reason like they want to be stuck in the third world

cool

[/b]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Just In: Labour Protest Starts In Lagos - Photos / Oloriegbe Leads Saraki In Day One Of Kwara Must Change Senatorial Poll / Photos From Ike Ekweremadu's 56th Birthday Celebration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 192
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.