Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,595 members, 7,816,470 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:38 AM

Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport (22897 Views)

Akanu Ibiam Int’l Airport: South-East Stakeholders Allege Sabotage / Buhari Orders Immediate Release Of N5 Bn To Bomb Victims / Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by liquid7: 10:30am On May 09, 2011
Bawss1:

The path embarked by the Lagos state government is not going to yield immediate fruits the very next day but in the long term its their best bet. Would you rather that the government not embark on projects like this? People complain that attention is not being paid to the basic necessities with such projects but they are silent on how sustainable funds can be generated to cater for the said necessities.

Yeah I have taken a moment to consider and this still is the way to go if you ask me. cheesy

Neither have you stated ,provided a plan or reference or link to show how a new $650m airport should be justified over things companies consider a must in a nation they wish to invest.I think most companies will rather have cheap constant power,good transport network ,good properly outlined tax system and if they so need to fly their goods in are more  content with a cargo terminal which is certainly cheaper then a full blown international airport assuming MM is not up to the task and i am yet to see any evidence that it cannot be if tested to do so and even then plans to improve it can be made.
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by Bawss1(m): 10:31am On May 09, 2011
mbulela:

all this talk about how the airport will generate revenue and provide jobs are a bit funny.
i doubt anyone is denying it.the question i whether it is the best use of resources at present?
are there not more pressing issues on ground?
after building an awesome airport, if the roads and road transport situation are not addressed,what is the end product?
to me it seems the state of roads in lagos and the lack of a road transport system that would decongest the roads of a good portion of the cars clogging it is a must for this govt if lagos is to become a mega city.

i don't buy that argument of the govt will do all simultaneously.
the funds are not infinite and four years is not a very long time.
as it is MMIA is slightly manageable but the roads in lagos and transport system are not manageable.

finally, this govt really needs to execute projects that will directly impact the poor.

all these talk of Lekki free trade zone, we don't want another Tianapa on our hands o!
the govt should look well before leaping o!

In other words there should be no plans to cater for the state's long term future because the present is demanding enough eh?
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by liquid7: 10:35am On May 09, 2011
Bawss1:

In other words there should be no plans to cater for the state's long term future because the present is demanding enough eh?

if somehow Lagos and Nigeria has infinite resources to do so then they should.We can even build the largest skyscraper too IF money is infinite and i am sure even you have to agree its not.All countries go by priorities and fix those things first.Nigeria is a long way from doing it and for years each government both state and presidential have made promises all this essential will be in place and having been in lagos very recently they are years away from this .
Future plans should first be those things then you can build a new airport assuming its even needed .
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by BabaTony: 10:43am On May 09, 2011
I think this whole airport thing by BRF is just crap, people cannot move about within the state comfortably and he is talking about a second airport. Lekki axis and other places in lagos need a lot of roads to open up these areas and not this ONLY one road concept that is punishing us on a daily basis, i thought he was even going to talk about high speed trains to move people about instead he is talking about this chop i chop project, he better gets his axes right before he losses it all to his godfather Tinubu!
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by ektbear: 10:45am On May 09, 2011
liquid7:

gas prices are determined by the international market .its same price as in russia .http://www.enerdata.net/enerdatauk/knowledge/eshop/energy-price-forecast.php?country=russia.same price as you can see.
Sure, there is a market. But that there is a commodities board for corn doesn't mean you cannot buy it more cheaply in Illinois or Iowa than say in Nigeria, where no corn is being grown.

There are advantages to living right next to the Niger Delta.

Not to mention FG subsidies/price controls (e.g., on petrol/kerosene/diesel in Nigeria.)

Long story short, gas is cheap.

But even at that no company there will buy gas for power unless it is needed for part of their production since the grid is far cheaper.I know this because an irish friend has started a medium sized factory there and got 2 years free electricity as incentive.
How much is he paying per MW for his electricity? What about labor costs in Ireland vs Nigeria? Etc, etc?

Anyway, whatever. . . whether anyone likes it or not, investment will continue in Lagos specifically and Nigeria more generally. And this Lekki airport and FTZ will happen.
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by enyojo(f): 10:46am On May 09, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Much of the training in China took place in Isolation by the way -- the state sponsored thousands of students back in the early years. Many of them were flown abroad to acquire skills and expertise. On the job training is necessary, but it should not be the only form of training a person, any person waits to get, to educate self. Managerial jobs, and other high paying jobs require candidates have some base skills at time of employment, and these skills need to be taught somehow. What happened in China ought to be an example for us. As soon as investors realized that they had a skilled and cheap workforce, the Chinese Government didn't have to labor much to get them in. Why do you think many of these companies, even those that claim to be anti-china's human right's record, remain in China? Many because they know the value of what china offers them . . mostly an already skilled labour force they can easily take advantage of without needing to retrain etc.

Kobojunkie, you got good points there. But for Fashola to leave this Airport dream to conduct massive training of jobless graduates may take us no where.
Come to think of it, when you send Nigerians abroad for trainings, they don't return!! even local footballers sent from my Town to play somewhere in Europe 'eloped'
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by lawyer(m): 10:48am On May 09, 2011
This airport is not a priority now to be honest. I shuttle the lekki/ajah/epe axis weekly and i realise there are more pressing things like good roads and amenities needed there before an airport. Remember its only one long dual road that is serving the populace of lekki down to epe. How can fashola be create all these white elephant projects without embarking on the most pressing one which is more roads and accessible transportation. With the mad traffic on that single road, it will take a person a far shorter time to leave lekki and get to MM1 than for the same person to leave lekki 1 to get to epe within the same time. Let them face the most pressing issues in lekki/ajah/epe first and the airport can come later. It must not necessarily be during Fashola's administration that the airport must come. Its already in the lagos state master plan so its bound to be built by one governor one way or the other.

Another Thing that baffled me is this comment:

By Olasunkanmi Akoni & Monsur Olowoopejo
The Lagos State Government is to spend N102 billion ($ 650 million) on the construction of the Lekki International Airport which is expected to commence operation in May 2012.

That simply is not true. This is all politician's talk and not realistic in anyway. How long does it take to build an airport in rainy season in Nigeria? 8months? Simple toll gate road is taking them 2 years plus to move from Lekki 1 to Chevron and they have over shot their budget 10 times. Fashola should stick to repairing the pot holes that are awash in lagos and ameliorate the groans coming out of lagosians in respect of his tax structure,
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by enyojo(f): 10:50am On May 09, 2011
[size=26pt]who say sea na enemy of airport?[/size]

Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by ektbear: 10:50am On May 09, 2011
lawyer:

That simply is not true. This is all politician's talk and not realistic in anyway. How long does it take to build an airport in rainy season in Nigeria? 8months? Simple toll gate road is taking them 2 years plus to move from Lekki 1 to Chevron and they have over shot their budget 10 times. Fashola should stick to repairing the pot holes that are awash in lagos and ameliorate the groans coming out of lagosians in respect of his tax structure,  

You misread. That is when construction is expected to start.
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by Nobody: 10:50am On May 09, 2011
It is high time we set our priorities right in this country. Having an airport at Lekki could be said to be a good idea but is it our number 1 priority? Considering the fund that would be needed for this, are there no better more people oriented projects to be done? I think the leaders should get closer to the people to understand what is their most important need. Why must our leaders always loose touch with the masses?
Have ever driven in a car from Ajah to Lekki? If you have, then you would agree with me that there are better things to do than constructing another airport. I think that if there is an improvement in generation, transmission and distribution, more Nigerians would be employed and revenue for Lagos State would also increase. The government should take provision of employment as priority #1. An improvement in electricity will create more employment and also good revenue for Lagos State. What of highly specialized hospitals? Nigerians move in droves to India and other countries for medical attention. Can't they build highly specialized hospitals?
Airports
Roads
Electricity
Hospitals
Schools
Water
Housing

How do we arrange above according to our priorities?
Be sure that Tinibu would just like the Lekki tollgate would have may be 50% of the revenue to be generated by the airport (maybe collecting the revenue for the next 30 to 100 years).
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by zstranger: 10:53am On May 09, 2011
ekt_bear:

What do you have for the people on ground who think it is a bad idea, AT THIS TIME

The point they are making is that this is not what we need at this time

Before you reply, try putting yourself in their shoes. that is very important

You need to be able to see things from their perspective first. failure to do so undermines your credibility and people oriented-ness. cool
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by Nobody: 10:56am On May 09, 2011
Do you know that 85% of the time, it is easier to move from V.I and Marina to Ikeja than from Lekki to Ajah, not even Epe?
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by Nobody: 11:01am On May 09, 2011
Has anybody thought of flyovers in place of those roundabouts along Lekki - Epe expressway? What is the sense in having those roundabouts which are not better than flying those going from V.I. to Epe over at those places where they constructed the roundabouts
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by sherrify: 11:02am On May 09, 2011
Am  busy laughing,cos i rembered callinh home during the elections n told few of my friends don't be carried away by Fashola's first term,don't vote saying ur first term is an indication that u are a mesiah but vote for him cos you need him do more visible n sensible things, now to the main topic building a ($ 650 million)airport is a total waiste n dis guy has just tested lagosians brains to see if they carried away wth his first term, stop comparing Nigeira to developed countries n stop chasing equal rights with them, He should divert that funds to making stable 1)electricity n see how many bigger foregin companies will rush into lagos state and am sure people that would be employed will be more than an airport staff,yet d govt will benefit tax.2))modern n gud roads dat will benefit the public n again gud roads will sound attractiive to yet many forigen manufacturing companies 3)Modern day hospitals that will benefit the public and many other imedate facilities for the public, many shenghen state member countries do not even ave airports that are as big as MM.Hungary,Poland to mention few ave smaller well managed airports n yet ave the basic things an advanced country can offer it's citizens, why crave for a project that will cost you so much and yet will take so many years to materialise , when all this ($ 650 million) could do electricity,gud roads,hospitals and many more at a go under the same funds, then save from the tax n begin an airport plan after the public ave been satisfied wth gud facilities, Am just lauging cos it seems there is no single Honest politician in Nigeira, n my people are so glad to ave that kinda project, when familes n friends ave been attacked n killed by robbers cos no light n secuirity,accidents taking both old n young that should be the future of Nigeira to mention a few,
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by lawyer(m): 11:10am On May 09, 2011
ekt_bear:

@Mr Ekt_bear, i read the statement very well.

I don't know whether you live in lagos right now or better still you reside or shuttle the lekki/ajah/epe axis frequently. I should know because i give alot of information about those areas on Nairaland alot. It simply cannot fit into the schedule. Have you see the proposed free trade zone and all the propaganda about how its going to change the face of lagos and its hidden in one secluded part of eleko and all construction has been abandoned? Do you know how long it takes to go to Epe from Ajah? Approximately 45minutes without traffic. Have you seen where the proposed airport will be before the oke orisun housing scheme and link bridge? Do you know about the infighting going on between the omoniles and the settlers of the land and the lagos state government over the proposed location of the airport? How do you even get to the airport when the area hasnt been opened up and the amenities are non existent?

Before i said its not true i looked at all the mitigating factors that will hamper the immediate construction of that airport because its an environment i know very well like the back of my palm. Its all Politicians talk and i stand on it just the same way the FTZ or Mega City has been mooted only in the pages of Punch newspaper. I am on the ground here and not speaking based on opinions and reports from people that don't know the next community before and after Epe!      

Lekki/Ajah/ Epe needs roads, roads and more roads to accommodate the large influx of people migrating to that area in droves. They need water to counterbalance the salty lagoon waters, they need more schools, hospitals and better transportation systems to cope with the population there. An airport now is just putting the cart before the horse because it will not reduce the congestion but overload it especially when there are no roads to accommodate it.
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by whyeray: 11:12am On May 09, 2011
In as much as new Airport is good, but Lagos State government should bear in mind that they will still have to work with Federal Government agency like Customs, Immigration, NDLEA, FAAN etc. These multiple organisations are bane of problems at the airport. Food for taught.
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by BabaTony: 11:18am On May 09, 2011
@laywer, i live in ajah, and i say all what you have said is absolutely CORRECT! lets forget about all the propaganda BRF is pushing about the reality is just what laywer has just said , just this morning, it took me 1hr to move from badore to ajah junction, a 10 minute drive distance, this is just crazy, he should rather think of more roads, more bridges and train services and not this crap airport thing!
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by ektbear: 11:25am On May 09, 2011
@lawyer: Interesting post. So you think a May 2012 date (one year from now) of starting construction on the airport is too ambitious? If that is the case, fine. . . so be it. Perhaps it'll be pushed back. But sooner or later, if they plan on making this FTZ a reality, they'll need to build an airport.
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by enyojo(f): 11:32am On May 09, 2011
lawyer:

@Mr Ekt_bear, i read the statement very well.

I don't know whether you live in lagos right now or better still you reside or shuttle the lekki/ajah/epe axis frequently. I should know because i give alot of information about those areas on Nairaland alot. It simply cannot fit into the schedule. Have you see the proposed free trade zone and all the propaganda about how its going to change the face of lagos and its hidden in one secluded part of eleko and all construction has been abandoned? Do you know how long it takes to go to Epe from Ajah? Approximately 45minutes without traffic. Have you seen where the proposed airport will be before the oke orisun housing scheme and link bridge? Do you know about the infighting going on between the omoniles and the settlers of the land and the lagos state government over the proposed location of the airport? How do you even get to the airport when the area hasnt been opened up and the amenities are non existent?

Before i said its not true i looked at all the mitigating factors that will hamper the immediate construction of that airport because its an environment i know very well like the back of my palm. Its all Politicians talk and i stand on it just the same way the FTZ or Mega City has been mooted only in the pages of Punch newspaper. I am on the ground here and not speaking based on opinions and reports from people that don't know the next community before and after Epe!

Lekki/Ajah/ Epe needs roads, roads and more roads to accommodate the large influx of people migrating to that area in droves. They need water to counterbalance the salty lagoon waters, they need more schools, hospitals and better transportation systems to cope with the population there. An airport now is just putting the cart before the horse because it will not reduce the congestion but overload it especially when there are no roads to accommodate it.

No make me fear o. Fashola still get work abeg!
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by Nobody: 11:35am On May 09, 2011
Aaahhhh! Enough work dey ground. Airport is even tertiary need and not even secondary need, let alone primary need. How many of us canboost of 2hrs of light every day? How many of us are gainfully employed? How many of us have access to good medical care?
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by Nobody: 12:09pm On May 09, 2011
lagosians and Nigerians at large should be appreciate the good works GOV BRF is doing and his visionary leadership style. Imagine how Nigeria will look like if the remaining 35 states governors replicates what uncle fash is doing in their various states. It takes great minds to understand what fash is doing of which some of u calling for his head today will soon be the one celebrating this humble visionary gov. How i wish d constitution allowed us to swap governous, i will gladly take uncle fash to my state and make him a life governor. Fash is the only person in governance in Nigeria of today that is sane,rational,hard working and a legacy for our generation and several ones after us.the guy is making lagos a self sustaning state without fg peanuts called allocations. This is in terndem with the ideals of a fedral system of goverment.
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by enyojo(f): 12:18pm On May 09, 2011
jusRadical:

Aaahhhh! Enough work dey ground. Airport is even tertiary need and not even secondary need, let alone primary need. How many of us canboost of 2hrs of light every day? How many of us are gainfully employed? How many of us have access to good medical care?

If it is on the issue of employment, the Airport will indirectly multiply jobs.
Why do I know this? My husband deals with foreign investors and so far, there are no Investors that spend their hard earned money in your country if they don't see what you have staked for the same project.
The reason why Lawyer said the Free Trade Zone is only an abandoned site is simply because Fash had abandoned playing his own part for Electioneering. Now that the battle is won. Now the earlier he kicks off the Airport, the better.
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by Nobody: 12:25pm On May 09, 2011
enyojo:

Why do I know this? My husband deals with foreign investors and so far, there are no Investors that spend their hard earned money in your country if they don't see what you have staked for the same project.
The reason why Lawyer said the Free Trade Zone is only an abandoned site is simply because Fash had abandoned playing his own part for Electioneering. Now that the battle is won. Now the earlier he kicks off the Airport, the better.

I know that airport will provide employment as you said. But if you read earlier posts, you would find out that I place provision of electricity ahead of the proposed airport. I strongly believe that the provision of good roads and electricity will create more employment/jobs that the proposed airport.
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by Nobody: 12:32pm On May 09, 2011
enyojo:

I know that airport will provide employment as you said. But if you read earlier posts, you would find out that I place provision of electricity ahead of the proposed airport. I strongly believe that the provision of good roads and electricity will create more employment/jobs than the proposed airport - don't you think so?. Which roads would people ply on to get to the airport - have you moved from V.I. to Ajah in recent time? Of course it is no news that the airport would be running on generators (unless there is an improvement in the power sector. Sincerely speaking, is the proposed airport the most important thing to spend the NGN102b on for now?
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by KnowAll(m): 12:39pm On May 09, 2011
[size=16pt]Retirement fund, that is what Fashola is looking for, there is no proof that Fashola would have any Political Job beyond 2015 except if he runs for one of the Senatorial zones in Lagos State, but any person who thinks he can become President without carrying the other 35 states along is living a fool’s paradise.

Like Aliyu Babangida said the Presidency is not anyone’s birth-right and not for sale to the highest bidder otherwise folks like “Tinubu would come out with the money “ no one except God can predict who our next President would be.

This project would make Fashola for life, me I no kuku blame am if na u nko [/size] tongue
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by enyojo(f): 12:52pm On May 09, 2011
KnowAll:

Retirement fund, that is what Fashola is looking for, there is no proof that Fashola would have any Political Job beyond 2015 except if he runs for one of the Senatorial zones in Lagos State, but any person who thinks he can become President without carrying the other 35 states along is living a fool’s paradise.

Like Aliyu Babangida said the Presidency is not anyone’s birth-right and not for sale to the highest bidder otherwise folks like “Tinubu would come out with the money “ no one except God can predict who our next President would be.

This project would make Fashola for life, me I no kuku blame am if na u nko
tongue

In essence what r u saying??
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by focusxo4: 12:59pm On May 09, 2011
How does the gigantic/white elephant project help the common man?
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by EarsWide(m): 1:02pm On May 09, 2011
@Supporters of the airport

If you ran a company what exactly would attract you to Lagos with erratic electricity, erratic water supply, crappy roads and horrendous traffic jams, unpaid and corrupt policemen, kidnappings etc  (apart from a new shiny airport ) ?
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by KnowAll(m): 1:07pm On May 09, 2011
In essence what r u saying??- [size=14pt]IT IS A WHITE ELEPHANT ABI YOU WAN MAKE I FIND BETTER ' WORD'  for am,  I THINK IT IS A  'YELLOW DINOSOUR'

A state that has not got enough land wasting her precious commodity on a duplicity. Would Lagos provide the airport with customs,immigration and NDLA officers. The man has won his second term he can undo and do, I beg carry go " Fashola" ko ni da fu iyalaya anybody".  tongue
                                                                                                                                                      " e no go better for anybody mama wey talk"[/size]  cry
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by AmAlone: 1:10pm On May 09, 2011
@ Lawyer,
I must confess that lawyer is very much correct with the logic mentioned above
Could you believe that for the past 2 years I've only drove once to Lekki??
of course because of the road system, Lekki/Ajah/Epe are/is the head-quarter
of traffic here in Lagos. One time I spent 5hrs on a private car!!
I think our government should first solve the Power/good Road/good schools/good hospitals Palava
then others can/should follow.

I'm not saying this is a bad idea,
I just think there are more
pressing needs!!!
Peace!
Re: Lagos Earmarks N102 Bn To Build Lekki Int’l Airport by AmAlone: 1:18pm On May 09, 2011
KnowAll:

In essence what r u saying??- [size=14pt]IT IS A WHITE ELEPHANT ABI YOU WAN MAKE I FIND BETTER ' WORD'  for am,  I THINK IT IS A  'YELLOW DINOSOUR'

A state that has not got enough land wasting her precious commodity on a duplicity. Would Lagos provide the airport with customs,immigration and NDLA officers. The man has won his second term he can undo and do, I beg carry go " Fashola" ko ni da fu iyalaya anybody".  tongue
                                                                                                                                                      " e no go better for anybody mama wey talk"[/size]  cry

lol

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

President Buhari Commissions Sunti Golden Sugar Estate (Photos) / Modupe Odele: FG Confirms That Mocheivious Was In Kenya On An Expired VISA / 2015: Any Northerner Who Votes PDP Is A Disgrace – Borno Deputy Governor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.