Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,481 members, 7,770,175 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 06:42 AM

Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently - Culture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently (33327 Views)

How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? / American Girl That Speaks Yoruba Fluently / How Many Languages Do You Speak Fluently? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by Princek12(m): 8:02am On May 16, 2011
tpia@:

PrinceK12

manners are important when you're talking of first impressions.

The lady didnt meet them in a night club or brothel did she?

Basic courtesy is a staple of yoruba culture. These agbero tout attitudes does nobody any good.

In the west that constitutes harassment.

Stop encouraging your brothers to do things that will make them unable to cope with the real world.

what is your point? That a lady has to meet someone in a nightclub or brothel before men approach her for (1) dating (2) marriage, or (3) sex? Flirting is an agbero attitude?
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by Princek12(m): 8:18am On May 16, 2011
Jenifa_:

alright good for you and your cousins.
the only inferiority complex i see in this case is yours. judging by your reaction to seeing an oyinbo speaking yoruba.

when did giving credit to someone who learns fluently a language that she had no exposure to at all while growing up become inferiority complex?

And don't you think you are the one with inferiority complex by advocating that you should not speak your native language to your kids so that their English would not be affected, which should supposedly make them have good grades. Don't you think you are the one with inferiority complex for assuming that the people who spoke Yoruba to Titilayo in the video are illiterates because they spoke Yoruba to her?

Think about it and decided for yourself who is the one suffering from inferiority complex? Or you think that you don't have inferiority complex merely because you are criticizing people who are commending a girl for learning a language to which she was not exposed?
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by SEFAGO(m): 8:28am On May 16, 2011
Princek12:

what is your point? That a lady has to meet someone in a nightclub or brothel before men approach her for (1) dating (2) marriage, or (3) sex? Flirting is an agbero attitude?

I dont understand that point either. I usually stop women on the street and ask them to follow me back home. Works all the time. So those guys were trying to pull some game. Tpia is hating.

Man seems I have to give her another round.

Tpia wa gbe Kondo mi si enu e.

And don't you think you are the one with inferiority complex by advocating that you should not speak your native language to your kids so that their English would not be affected, which should supposedly make them have good grades. Don't you think you are the one with inferiority complex for assuming that the people who spoke Yoruba to Titilayo in the video are illiterates because they spoke Yoruba to her?

Miss Latvia is partially correct that if a different language is solely spoken at home, it might be more difficult to learn English. I think though this is not applicable to Nigerian kids for several reasons, one being obviously that most Nigerians are bilingual while the example she provided of the Spanish (Hispanics) are people who just speak only spanish.
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by Nobody: 8:31am On May 16, 2011
SEFAGO:

I dont understand that point either. I[b] usually stop women on the street and ask them to follow me back home. Works all the time.
[/b]
Gbomo gbomo, u have ogun owo abi, brus which kind jazz u dey use now, i need am no lie
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by SEFAGO(m): 8:34am On May 16, 2011
Bros na the charm and swag ooh, I be playa playa grin

[Yeah, Right, in My Dreams grin]
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by Nobody: 8:36am On May 16, 2011
BRUH I GO GIVE YOU 20 KINGDOMS AND 50 FARMS JUST TELL ME THE JAZZ NOW

HAHAHA I SEE
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by Nobody: 9:21am On May 16, 2011
@L.KRavitz
cheesy The real tarzan was a black african and not a white boy.Dont let hollywood deceive you.Africans in ancient times did have conversations with animals grin
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by rabzy: 9:46am On May 16, 2011
The Lady spent time and money to learn a language of a country which has no roots with, which she was not forced to learn by her parents or the school system, which she might not benefit from economically, for me that is a big deal, it is not unique but it is nice. I would not learn Korean, Chinese or any other just for the sake of learning, its either am stuck there and i need it to survive or i need it for a Job, if its any course work i would probably drop the course.

So if she comes here and have some fun with the language with a huge TV crew and the people she is speaking with are not embarrassed, but are in fact amused and entertained, then why not do it.

I tried learning Ibo even tho a lot of people speak it around me and am still not getting beyond the greetings and a few phrases but this woman was able to, so kudos to her.
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by Kenyanstar: 9:54am On May 16, 2011
The swahili language is probably the only african language that enjoys and boasts of being africas biggest export and proud heritage.Many of the world's institutions have responded to Swahili's growing prominence. It is one of the languages that feature in world radio stations such as the BBC World Service, Voice of America, Deutsche Welle, Voice of Russia, China Radio International, Radio France Internationale, Radio Sudan, and Radio South Africa. Swahili is also spoken in Oman, primarily by descendants of those who repatriated from Zanzibar after the fall of the Sultanate of Oman.

The countries that speak swahili

Tanzania
Kenya
Uganda
Rwanda
Burundi
D.R Congo
Mozambique
Congo
Malawi
Somalia
Comoros Islands
Madagascar
Zanzibar
Oman
Ethiopia

THE PROMINENCE OF SWAHILI IN THE WORLD
There is as yet insufficient historical or archaeological evidence to allow one to state exactly when and where either the Swahili language or the Swahili culture emerged. Nevertheless, it is assumed that the Swahili speaking people have occupied their present territories, hugging the Indian Ocean, since well before 1000 AD. Arab traders are known to have had extensive contact with the coastal peoples from at least the 6th century AD, and Islam began to spread along the East African Coast from at least the 9th century.

People from Oman and the Persian Gulf settled the Zanzibar Archipelago, helping spread both Islam and the Swahili language and culture with major trading and cultural centers as far as Sofala (Mozambique) and Kilwa (Tanzania) to the south, and Mombasa and Lamu in Kenya, Barawa, Merca, Kismayo and Mogadishu (Somalia) in the north, the Comoros Islands and northern Madagascar in the Indian Ocean.

Starting about 1800, the rulers of Zanzibar organized trading expeditions into the interior of the mainland, up to the various lakes in the continent's Great Rift Valley. They soon established permanent trade routes and Swahili speaking merchants settled in stops along the new trade routes. For the most part, this process did not lead to genuine colonization. But colonisation did occur west of Lake Malawi, in what is now Katanga Province of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, giving rise to a highly divergent dialect.

After Germany seized the region known as Tanganyika (present day mainland Tanzania) for a colony in 1886, it took notice of the wide (but shallow) dissemination of Swahili, and soon designated Swahili as a colony-wide official administrative language. The British did not do so in neighbouring Kenya, even though they made moves in that direction. The British and Germans both were keen to facilitate their rule over colonies with dozens of languages spoken by selecting a single local language that hopefully would be well accepted by the natives. Swahili was the only good candidate in these two colonies.

In the aftermath of Germany's defeat in World War I, it was dispossessed of all its overseas territories. Tanganyika fell into British hands. The British authorities, with the collaboration of British Christian missionary institutions active in these colonies, increased their resolve to institute Swahili as a common language for primary education and low level governance throughout their East African colonies (Uganda, Tanganyika, Zanzibar, and Kenya). Swahili was to be subordinate to English: university education, much secondary education, and governance at the highest levels would be conducted in English.

One key step in spreading Swahili was to create a standard written language. In June 1928, an interterritorial conference was held at Mombasa, at which the Zanzibar dialect, Kiunguja, was chosen to be the basis for standardizing Swahili.[12] Today's standard Swahili, the version taught as a second language, is for practical purposes Zanzibar Swahili, even though there are minor discrepancies between the written standard and the Zanzibar vernacular.
[edit] Current situation

At the present time, some 90 percent of approximately 39 million Tanzanians speak Swahili.[13] Kenya's population is comparable, but the prevalence of Swahili is lower, though still widespread. Most educated Kenyans are able to communicate fluently in Swahili, since it is a compulsory subject in school from grade one. The five eastern provinces of the Democratic Republic of Congo (to be subdivided in 2009) are Swahili speaking. Nearly half the 66 million Congolese reportedly speak it;[14] and it is starting to rival Lingala as the most important national language of that country. In Uganda, the Baganda and residents of Buganda generally don't speak Swahili, but it is in common use among the 25 million people elsewhere in the country, and is currently being implemented in schools nationwide in preparation for the East African Community. The usage of Swahili in other countries is commonly overstated, being common only in market towns, among returning refugees, or near the borders of Kenya and Tanzania. Even so, Swahili speakers may number some 120 to 150 million people.[15] Many of the world's institutions have responded to Swahili's growing prominence. It is one of the languages that feature in world radio stations such as the BBC World Service, Voice of America, Deutsche Welle, Voice of Russia, China Radio International, Radio France Internationale, Radio Sudan, and Radio South Africa. Swahili is also spoken in Oman, primarily by descendants of those who repatriated from Zanzibar after the fall of the Sultanate of Oman.
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by Nobody: 10:04am On May 16, 2011
rabzy:

The Lady spent time and money to learn a language of a country which has no roots with, which she was not forced to learn by her parents or the school system, which she might not benefit from economically, for me that is a big deal, it is not unique but it is nice. I would not learn Korean, Chinese or any other just for the sake of learning, its either am stuck there and i need it to survive or i need it for a Job, if its any course work i would probably drop the course.

So if she comes here and have some fun with the language with a huge TV crew and the people she is speaking with are not embarrassed, but are in fact amused and entertained, then why not do it.

I tried learning Ibo even tho a lot of people speak it around me and am still not getting beyond the greetings and a few phrases but this woman was able to, so kudos to her.
The CIA mostly recruits ppl who speak foreign languages fluently so who says she wont benefit frm learning the yoruba language.She could be a valuable agent for the CIA when it turns its flashlights on Nigeria.
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by tayoTFC(m): 10:08am On May 16, 2011
@poster, she speak yoruba but not fluently ,,,edit ur sublect headline,
or is this the way u speakur  oynbo, fluently
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by rabzy: 10:31am On May 16, 2011
tom28:

The CIA mostly recruits ppl who speak foreign languages fluently so who says she wont benefit frm learning the yoruba language.She could be a valuable agent for the CIA when it turns its flashlights on Nigeria.
i never said she can't benefit from it, buts its a tall order, then the CIA talk is even a taller one grin
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by Kenyanstar: 10:37am On May 16, 2011
There can never be comparison between Swahili and Yoruba. Swahili is rich in heritage,culture, splendor and traditional aspect of it, to be even compared to Yoruba. Yoruba is the poor language. Its smacks of cynicism when anyone tries lamenting the influence of swahili to the other languages.
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by Nobody: 10:45am On May 16, 2011
rabzy:

i never said she can't benefit from it, buts its a tall order, then the CIA talk is even a taller one grin
cheesy My brother its not a tall order.For a CIA spy to be able to blend in his/her environment he/she should be able to speak the lanuage in such locality and know the culture of the native ppl.This TItilayo lady would be a good recruit for the CIA if she"s not already a secret agent cheesy
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by Nobody: 10:49am On May 16, 2011
kenyanstar,swahili is a corrupted version of the arabic language.Dont even compare it to yoruba.
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by FBS: 10:55am On May 16, 2011
Yes she tried but fluent? haba!!!  cheesy
Anyways, its impressive.
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by kingsolve(m): 11:53am On May 16, 2011
Amazingly amazing. I like that.
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by Tweety121(f): 12:06pm On May 16, 2011
It's a very smart move to be fluent in a foreign language very few people know, especially as she's a journalist. She can work for CNN, BBC, Reuters, any news corps or networks around the world, and since there are many news stories relating to Nigeria (politics, oil, religious violence etc) she'll be the 'Nigerian correspondent' and will have few competitors.

She can also write books, teach classes or speak around the world as an expert in 'Yoruba/African Affairs.' She will always be in demand because of her rare skills as a white American fluent in Yoruba, and the more she learns about Yoruba/Nigerian culture, politics or history, the bigger will be her field of knowledge.

Condoleeza Rice got her position as US secretary of state because she was fluent in Russian.

I wish I'd learnt Mauritian or Mongolian or some other language obscure to the West cos you'll never suffer for lack of job. My children must learn Spanish/French or both at least, it guarantees a good career if you use it well.
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by Rgp92: 12:46pm On May 16, 2011
Kenyanstar:

There can never be comparison between Swahili and Yoruba. Swahili is rich in heritage,culture, splendor and traditional aspect of it, to be even compared to Yoruba. Yoruba is the poor language. Its smacks of cynicism when anyone tries lamenting the influence of swahili to the other languages.

Yoruba is poor language? typical uneducated eastern Africans
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by zstranger: 1:32pm On May 16, 2011
Tweety121:

It's a very smart move to be fluent in a foreign language very few people know, especially as she's a journalist. She can work for CNN, BBC, Reuters, any news corps or networks around the world, and since there are many news stories relating to Nigeria (politics, oil, religious violence etc) she'll be the 'Nigerian correspondent' and will have few competitors.

She can also write books, teach classes or speak around the world as an expert in 'Yoruba/African Affairs.' She will always be in demand because of her rare skills as a white American fluent in Yoruba, and the more she learns about Yoruba/Nigerian culture, politics or history, the bigger will be her field of knowledge.

Condoleeza Rice got her position as US secretary of state because she was fluent in Russian.

I wish I'd learnt Mauritian or Mongolian or some other language obscure to the West cos you'll never suffer for lack of job. My children must learn Spanish/French or both at least, it guarantees a good career if you use it well.

Not so true at all. You need to go read about Condoleeza Rice.
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by kandiikane(m): 1:43pm On May 16, 2011
@Tweety121, is Mauritius not just on the outskirts of Africa and don't they speak the same english, french and creole etc as many africans do?
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by Tweety121(f): 2:35pm On May 16, 2011
@ zstranger, part of Rice's skills was her fluency in russian which helped with her foreign relations expertise. My point is her linguistic skills helped her role when she was national securities advisor, she adviced Bush on Soviet affairs, which then led to her becoming his secretary of state.

@kandiikane, yeah 'Mauritian' isn't a language per se, but I was referring to the rarity of knowledge about Mauritius, Mongolia, Mauritania, Madagascar etc in the West so that speaking their (non-european) languages sets you apart.
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by firestar(f): 2:58pm On May 16, 2011
Really? Just Yoruba? That's fine. How 'bout other languages or even Pidgin?
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by Princek12(m): 3:14pm On May 16, 2011
Kenyanstar:

There you go another non-Nigerian hater on a Nigerian forum. They are so easy to spot: they would rather stay on a Nigerian forum than a forum of their country, that is if there exists any viable forum from their country in the first place; they cannot get enough of Nigerian culture; they prefer Nigerian music and movies to those from their own country; and if they are women, they are usually addicted to phucking Nigerian men. Yet, they come and boast of how their own this is better than a Nigerian that. Get a life.
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by kandiikane(m): 3:16pm On May 16, 2011
@tweety121, There are so many nigerians and ghanians in the Uk, I get shocked when I hear someone speak one of my languages. And the thing is because we are not so much, we can recognize each other by face or from the accent when they speak english.

I get excited within me when I see or hear my fellow countrymen. grin
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by kandiikane(m): 3:22pm On May 16, 2011
Prince, what is the difference between Nigerian men and other African men? I doubt women go hunt for them, it is just chance, meeting a Nigerian man. It is hard to not run into them because they are like everywhere.
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by Princek12(m): 3:28pm On May 16, 2011
kandiikane:

Prince, what is the difference between Nigerian men and other African men? I doubt women go hunt for them, it is just chance, meeting a Nigerian man. It is hard to not run into them because they are like everywhere.

I guess that question will be best answered by all these African women who prefer Nigerian men over other African men. i have heard many of them say Nigerian men look better and have more charm. I don't know. Also, even though Nigerian men may be arguably everywhere, many of these girls will still choose a Nigerian man over another African man under circumstances where there are equal numbers of Nigerian men and other African men--as in these women make their selection by choice, not by necessity.
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by kandiikane(m): 3:46pm On May 16, 2011
^^I am yet to meet a woman who says so.

If more charm you mean constantly lying and pretending to be something they are not , then yes I do not blame the women they love lies sef.

I am with a Nigerian but it does not mean I will only go for Nigerians.
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by Princek12(m): 4:06pm On May 16, 2011
kandiikane:

^^I am yet to meet a woman who says so.

If more charm you mean constantly lying and pretending to be something they are not , then yes I do not blame the women they love lies sef.

I am with a Nigerian but it does not mean I will only go for Nigerians.

Men of all nationalities lie and pretend to be something they are not, not just Nigerian men. It depends on the person. And good for you if you not only go for Nigerians. You have options: men from Cameroon, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Ehtiopia, Zambia, etc.
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by kandiikane(m): 4:33pm On May 16, 2011
Yes, any man can lie and pretend just like there are good looking men everywhere and Nigerian men I believe are the biggest liars and pretenders.
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by Rgp92: 5:28pm On May 16, 2011
kandiikane:

Yes, any man can lie and pretend just like there are good looking men everywhere and Nigerian men I believe are the biggest liars and pretenders.

Dont generalize please!! angry angry
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by Nobody: 5:53pm On May 16, 2011
Lol this is just too cute.  grin

It's safe to say a fit of jealous rage has come upon the majority of the women on this thread because the guys are expressing how impressed they are of that white girl's verbal achievement. Women will always be women; always finding reason to hate on or pick faults off something that has more attention than themselves.  cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

A Brief History Of Ikwerre.(port Harcourt) / Tiv Umbrella Body Heads To Court Over Claim They Entertain Guests With Wives / "Amebo" In Nigeria Parlance: Its Origin And Meaning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.