Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,462 members, 7,770,147 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 05:51 AM

Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently (33325 Views)

How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? / American Girl That Speaks Yoruba Fluently / How Many Languages Do You Speak Fluently? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by Nobody: 2:51am On May 15, 2011
I'd like to suck her t i ts while she speaks yoruba to me cheesy
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by kandiikane(m): 2:54am On May 15, 2011
The perverts are in the building.
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by Princek12(m): 2:56am On May 15, 2011
Jenifa_:

i'm addressing this post to Princek12.

when you become a parent, come back and tell us your progress in teaching your kids yoruba in an english speaking environment.
most whites who speak yoruba or other obscure foreign language do it through intensive language programs (ILP) or by living in a rural area where no english is spoken at all for a few years.

what do you have to say about why, for example, Chinese and Indian children, both of whom grow up in these same English-speaking environment, speak their respective native language properly?

And my issue is not addressed to parents who in good faith speak their native language to their children but the children do not become fluent in the native language. My issue is directed at parents who purposefully--and take affirmative steps to--refuse to speak their native languages to their children. Get the difference?

Also what do you have to say about parents who tell their children not to speak Yoruba in Yoruba-speaking environments, Lagos, for example. Didn't you watch the end of the video, where those kids said they don't speak Yoruba? Abeg if you have no point just don't speak and stop making excuses for inferiority complex syndrome.
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by Nobody: 3:01am On May 15, 2011
A lil perv blood neva hurt no one grin But seriously, she's got a nice rack, I couldn't help but imagine her talk dirty to me in Yoruba while I do her
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by kandiikane(m): 3:04am On May 15, 2011
ok oo, continue
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by Jenifa1: 3:05am On May 15, 2011
Princek12:

what do you have to say about why Chinese and Indian children, for example, most of whom grow up in these same English-speaking environment, speak their respective native language properly?

then you haven't heard the term  ABC - American born Chinese. google it
I know indian children who don't speak hindi. one of my good friends is indian and only speaks english. she is American born.

most second generation immigrants do not speak their native language. the only exceptions are those who grew up in non-english environments ex. chinatowns, latino community (most of the adults do not speak english) etc
and also those who have traveled back and spent a few years in their home countries.
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by Nobody: 3:10am On May 15, 2011
I think the whole idea of not allowing one's kids to learn their native language is just slave mentality, some people even go as far as to say that speaking your language in public makes you 'local' or not being able to understand or write your language but English only makes you 'Behind'. . . Take lessons from Japanese, chinese, e.t.c who have a strong sense of identity, I respect countries reasonable enough to make one of their languages the official language
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by Nobody: 3:11am On May 15, 2011
Princek12:

Like I said earlier, those who are saying that there is nothing special that these whites are speaking Yoruba are probably trying to cover their own inferiority complex or shame of not speaking Yoruba despite being born from Yoruba parentage. Sadly but true, many of Yoruba children born in, for example, America do not know how to speak Yoruba. The same goes of children born to parents from other tribes. Their parents simply do not teach them their native language.

That these whites are learning Yoruba will undoubtedly bring media attention to the importance of Yoruba. Inferiority complex has taken root too much in many Yoruba families that they purposefully refuse to teach their children Yoruba, even those in Nigeria. It is now becoming culturally acceptable for children to speak only English; to make matters worse, some of these kids who claim to speak no Yoruba think they are cool and of a higher class than kids who speak Yoruba. Why not learn both languages fluently?

Why trade one for the other? I started a thread about this not too long ago about how just about 100% of Nigerian children born and raised cannot speak their native language and, unfortunately, many Nairalanders like idiots said it is not a big deal to learn your native language. Many NLs even said since English is our national language that there is no need of learning your native language. It is a big shame. Shame to those parents.

Are you minding them? They believe hating anything white means they're not suffering from inferiority complex.
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by Princek12(m): 3:20am On May 15, 2011
Jenifa_:

then you haven't heard the term  ABC - American born Chinese. google it
I know indian children who don't speak hindi. one of my good friends is indian and only speaks english. she is American born.

most second generation children do not speak their native language. the only exceptions are those who grew up in non-english environments ex. chinatowns, latino community (most of the adults do not speak english) etc
and also those who have traveled back and spent a few years in their home countries.

You must be dreaming. Many first-generation immigrants do speak their native languages, especially Chinese and Indian first-generation immigrants. Because it is prevalent in the Nigerian community does not mean other immigrants suffer from the same inferiority complex as many Nigerians. I have not met a single American born and raised Nigerian, born of both Nigerian parents who can speak their native language properly, who can speak his or her native language fluently.

Granted, not all Indians or Chinese first-generation children will speak so, but it is not that prevalent. In the Nigerian community, just about 100% of our children born in America cannot speak the native language fluently. Let's call a spade a spade.

You still have not addressed two issues that concern me:

1)Why do Nigerian parents in native-language speaking environments tell their children to not speak their native language?

2) Why do Nigerian parents take affirmative steps to not speak their native language in non-native language speaking environments? Even in church, many of those parents usually say "don't speak Yoruba to my child ooo." It is usually the illiterate parents or village parents who do those things, for they feel that the inability of their children to speak their native language cleanses them of their illiteracy and village-like behavior.
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by Jenifa1: 3:23am On May 15, 2011
Princek12:

You must be dreaming. Many first-generation immigrants do speak their native languages, especially Chinese and Indian first-generation immigrants. Because it is prevalent in the Nigerian community does not mean other immigrants suffer from the same inferiority complex as many Nigerians.

re-read my post and you will see "second generation immigrant" not "first generation immigrant"
read before posting.

we are talking about children born in the US after all.

Sadly but true, many of Yoruba children born in, for example, America do not know how to speak Yoruba. The same goes of children born to parents from other tribes. Their parents simply do not teach them their native language.That these whites are learning Yoruba will undoubtedly bring media attention to the importance of Yoruba

this a quote from the post  (your post) i was responding to^
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by Princek12(m): 3:27am On May 15, 2011
Jenifa_:

re-read my post and you will see "second generation immigrant" not "first generation immigrant"
read before posting.

we are talking about children born in the US after all.
this a quote from the post  (your post) i was responding to^

let's get the definition straight:

first-generation children are children born of immigrant parents.

second-generation children are children born of first-generation children. Better to learn it now before you embarrassingly misuse it in another context.

why are you avoiding my questions? you are just cherry-picking what you want to answer. let's have a cordial and honest discussion, no selective answering please.
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by tpia5: 3:33am On May 15, 2011
That these whites are learning Yoruba will undoubtedly bring media attention to the importance of Yoruba

what about the whites speaking hausa in the videos i posted or did you skip that?

and can someone tell me why i didnt find any videos of whites speaking igbo, edo or any rivers/south south languages.

una dey hide una own abi.
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by Jenifa1: 3:53am On May 15, 2011
Princek12:

let's get the definition straight:

first-generation children are children born of immigrant parents.

second-generation children are children born of first-generation children. Better to learn it now before you embarrassingly misuse it in another context.

why are you avoiding my questions? you are just cherry-picking what you want to answer. let's have a cordial and honest discussion, no selective answering please.

first generation immigrants are those who migrated from a foreign country (born outside of the country)
second generation immigrants are children of first generation immigrants (born in the country)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigrant_generations

teacher don't teach me nonsense.
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by Princek12(m): 4:34am On May 15, 2011
Jenifa_:

first generation immigrants are those who migrated from a foreign country (born outside of the country)
second generation immigrants are children of first generation immigrants (born in the country)

teacher don't teach me nonsense.

that is why people like you fail exams. Even the link you provided defines first-generation immigrant as "A citizen whose parents are naturalized immigrants."

what is the difference between an immigrant and a first-generation immigrant then? Please don't avoid this question again, for you have a pattern of dodging intellectually-challenging questions.

first-generation Nigerian whom we are referring to is not an immigrant, but born to immigrant parents. And if you rely on wiki links for your information then I am sorry you need to go back to school and learn. Why don't you go to a reputable website like the immigration services website of the United States to get data. I am sure you know how info is uploaded to wikipedia.

Also you have still not answered my questions.
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by ektbear: 4:41am On May 15, 2011
Looks like "first-generation immigrant" can be used to refer to both:

The term first-generation [citizen of a country], e.g., "first-generation Ruritanian[1]" may have either of two different meanings[2][3]:
A citizen of the country who is a naturalized immigrant.
or
A citizen whose parents are naturalized immigrants.

Jenifa, the article you linked to doesn't support your interpretation alone. There are two different meanings.
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by zstranger: 4:47am On May 15, 2011
Princek12:

that is why people like you fail exams. Even the link you provided defines first-generation immigrant as "A citizen whose parents are naturalized immigrants."

what is the difference between an immigrant and a first-generation immigrant then? Please don't avoid this question again, for you have a pattern of dodging intellectually-challenging questions.

first-generation Nigerian whom we are referring to is not an immigrant, but born to immigrant parents. And if you rely on wiki links for your information then I am sorry you need to go back to school and learn. Why don't you go to a reputable website like the immigration services website of the United States to get data. I am sure you know how info is uploaded to wikipedia.

Also you have still not answered my questions.

You bad mehn!

There is a reason God created Jediots. They deserve our help, not our condemnation.
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by Princek12(m): 4:47am On May 15, 2011
ekt_bear:

Looks like "first-generation immigrant" can be used to refer to both:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigrant_generations

Jenifa, the article you linked to doesn't support your interpretation alone. There are two different meanings.

it is people like Jenifa who refer to immigrants as first-generation immigrants. Although it is a common mistake, it is not the proper use. in immigration law, an immigrant is different from a first-generation immigrant.  

Use a Wiki source as support for a scholarly article and watch your article get rejected, or watch the author being subject to ridicule. Wiki articles are all too often unreliable
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by ektbear: 4:52am On May 15, 2011
Princek12:

it is people like Jenifa who refer to immigrants as first-generation immigrants. Although it is a common mistake, it is not the proper use. in immigration law, an immigrant is different from a first-generation immigrant.
Right, but not everyone here knows immigration law, nor did we agree to use immigration law terminology before beginning. So it wasn't clear that those terms and definitions are the ones we have to be using.

Use a Wiki source as support for a scholarly article and watch your article get rejected, or watch the author being subject to ridicule. Wiki articles are all too often unreliable
Agreed. But I think in casual discussions, it is not terrible. None of us are writing papers here really. Just casual conversation. Also, Wiki articles often have references themselves. So if a Wiki article is well-written and references legit material from say a gov't agency, I have no problem linking to it in a conversation to support my argument.
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by tpia5: 5:02am On May 15, 2011

first, second and third generation immigrants are all considered "immigrants" in the wider sense of the word, and sometimes depending on context, until they assimilate into the wider culture of their countries of residence.

for africans, that would be the AA culture.

as long as they identify with their original countries, they're considered to have an immigrant mindset. When they forget or no longer refer to their countries of origin, they become majorly identified with their countries of naturalization only, with some opting for [or having] a prefix depicting their ethnicity.

just an unwritten rule.
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by dayokanu(m): 6:02am On May 15, 2011
Hello Tope
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by Shersky: 6:50am On May 15, 2011
Really Really funny reading all your comments. Truth be told, I'd be suprised too if that girl spoke Yoruba to me like that. That was her first time in Nigeria and I think it's really heartwarming to see a JJC communicate using a local language. If you feel one bit like a Nigerian superman/woman for being able to speak English (Basically, the Only Lingua Franca in Nigeria), ffs, a Language that you'll use to write in all your exams (bar Linguistic ones), please do us a huge favour - drop dead.
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by Jenifa1: 8:41am On May 15, 2011
Princek12:

I definitely did not make a mistake because that is the US Census definition and what you will find in most social science documents. first generation immigrants are described as the first generation to arrive in the US and second generation immigrants are the sons and daughters of the first generation.
I don't study law so maybe lawyers operate differently.

as ekubear has pointed out, the definition is ambiguous.

anyways, my point on this topic is that you are underestimating environmental influences and overestimating parental influences on a child's language abilities.
unless you're trying to say that parents should quit their jobs and devote their time to teaching their kids yoruba.
the oyinbo girl in the video got 3 years of professional yoruba instruction at a graduate institution afterall. + 6 months language immersion in a rural area in nigeria. that's her academic program.
i wonder what role her parents played in it. 
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by Jenifa1: 8:59am On May 15, 2011

1)Why do Nigerian parents in native-language speaking environments tell their children to not speak their native language?

2) Why do Nigerian parents take affirmative steps to not speak their native language in non-native language speaking environments? Even in church, many of those parents usually say "don't speak Yoruba to my child ooo." It is usually the illiterate parents or village parents who do those things, for they feel that the inability of their children to speak their native language cleanses them of their illiteracy and village-like behavior.

1. I have never heard of such a case. I know that school administrators tell students not to speak "vernacular" (aka yoruba) in school. but have never heard of parents telling their kids not to speak yoruba at home.

2. an illiterate parent raising a kid in US will realize that the child will fall behind in school due to poor english language abilities.
I've worked with spanish speaking students so I know this for a fact. in a classroom of 10+ student you will have at least 3 kids who speak absolutely no english and are falling behind. teachers are frustrated by it and call meetings with their parents. what parent doesn't want his/her daughter to achieve academically?

if you saw titilayo's previous video you will realize that the she spent time among illiterate villagers. that's the fastest and easiest way of learning yoruba.
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by redsun(m): 9:02am On May 15, 2011
Language is like a running river,it dries up when a people mental ability to function on their own diminishes and it will assimilated into the annals of history,while the people themselves are assimilated into the overpowering culture of the day.
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by LadyT(f): 9:05am On May 15, 2011
Any parent who doesnt teach their child their native tongue is stupid IMO. No matter where you live you should teach your language to your kids or you are cutting a massive side of their inheritence from them.
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by kandiikane(m): 1:48pm On May 15, 2011
I remember when my 8 year old cousin with three languages embedded in him left Africa for the Uk and went to a  private school the head told the mother to let him speak English at home and not the usual so he can become fluent in english. He would get slaps if he uttered one word of his mother tongue. Today he can still speak the mother tongue(forgotten the others) but when you speak  it to him he responds in english

I have planned to send my children to Africa when I hear the word"mummy" so they can be bred. The english language can be learnt easily and fluently no need to disown your mother tongue for it.
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by phreakabit(m): 2:06pm On May 15, 2011
Who really cares? Just how is this going to be of benefit to anyone really? By my evaluation  this is just another one of the many crappy propaganda threads we have here on NL. To does who take this as a thing of pride and astonishment, I would say you unknowingly show a clear case of inferiority complex towards the Caucasian race. Not trying to be an astute malcontent with a flair for sarcasm, but her speaking of this language is quite similar to an African speaking English. Well to me this is absolute crap, as well as being one of the most hilarious reads of the day .  RFLMAO!
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by CHIEFENGRJAFAR(m): 2:45pm On May 15, 2011
i am not suprised coz the whites are terrible people, it's only human being they cannot create.as for this situation even u can speak another man's language fluently,
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by Outstrip(f): 3:50pm On May 15, 2011
What I find amazing is not that she speaks the language though that is pretty impressive. It is the mannerisms (is this a word). Her body language is even Nigerian. You cannot learn that from a book. She must have not only learned the language but probably spent a lot of time with Nigerians
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by cap28: 3:53pm On May 15, 2011
big deal - we've been speaking their language for centuries now - i dont see any of them getting all excited about that, am i supposed to be loosing sleep over this because some white girl has developed a fascination for the language of the natives - give me a break!!!
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by buzugee(m): 4:12pm On May 15, 2011
cap28:

big deal - we've been speaking their language for centuries now - i dont see any of them getting all excited about that, am i supposed to be loosing sleep over this because some white girl has developed a fascination for the language of the natives - give me a break!!!
grin i can bet you half of these people have met ghanaians that can speak hausa, igbo and yoruba. i know i have and i was blown away. a foreigner knowing all three major naija languages.

the great paul robeson could speak russian, spanish, french, german, and african languages. he was black american.

these folks is thirsty. thats alll there is to it. their complements is coming from their manlinesses  grin grin thirsty azz mahfukaz. mufuckaz need a sip to wet their beak. niccaz is parched. they need a lil sippy sip. thats why they cant think straight. somebody needs to offer these niccaz some liquid sustainance so they can refocus  grin

sup cap28 ma niccazzzzzzzzzz. black power my nubian brother
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by Princek12(m): 4:15pm On May 15, 2011
You have made the same assumptions people with inferiority complex always make, which is disturbing giving the amount of Nigerians who reason the way you do:

Jenifa_:

2.  an illiterate parent raising a kid in US will realize that the child will fall behind in school due to poor english language abilities.
I've worked with spanish speaking students so I know this for a fact. in a classroom of 10+ student you will have at least 3 kids who speak absolutely no english and are falling behind. teachers are frustrated by it and call meetings with their parents. what parent doesn't want his/her daughter to achieve academically?  

Assumption #1:
While poor English language abilities may cause a child to fall behind in school, you have assumed that a child speaking his or her native language at home and who is raised in an English-speaking country will have poor "English language abilities." The Nigerian system refutes your assumption on all fronts. In Nigeria many people grow up bilingual, and they have excellent "English language abilities," myself included. Those who have bad English usually did not go to the proper schools, but it is not as a result of their being speaking their native language at home. In addition, many excellent and first rate students in the United States also grow up bilingual, especially the Indian and Chinese and Hispanic students.

Jenifa_:

if you saw titilayo's previous video you will realize that the she spent time among illiterate villagers. that's the fastest and easiest way of learning yoruba.

Assumption 2:

Even though it is plausible that the fastest way to learn Yoruba is by being around those who speak Yoruba, you have assumed (without no facts) that the people with whom Titilayo spent time with are illiterate villagers because they spoke only Yoruba to Titilayo. Titilayo was in a language immersion programme at the University of Ibadan, and a major criterion of many of those programme is that the host University ensures the student speaks the language of interest. At Titilayo's other videos the faculty of her department all spoke Yoruba to her.

In case you don't know, you do not have to go around illiterates to learn how to speak Yoruba; all you have to do is to hang around people who will speak Yoruba to you all the time, which includes the literate and the illiterates. My entire family is full of advanced degree holders who speak Yoruba at home and in public. According to your reasoning, if you saw us in a video with Titilayo speaking only Yoruba to her in a village, you will automatically assume that we are illiterates. Many professors in her department spoke only Yoruba to Titilayo; that does not mean they are illiterate. Also the market women or village women speaking Yoruba is not conclusive evidence of their literacy. Quit making stereotypical assumptions that stems from colo-mentality.

May God help Nigeria with this kind of mentality.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

A Brief History Of Ikwerre.(port Harcourt) / Tiv Umbrella Body Heads To Court Over Claim They Entertain Guests With Wives / "Amebo" In Nigeria Parlance: Its Origin And Meaning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.