Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,999 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:10 AM

Nigerian Masses Are As Corrupt As Nigerian Politicians (evidence) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Masses Are As Corrupt As Nigerian Politicians (evidence) (5703 Views)

The Nigerian ''common Man'' Is As Corrupt As His Leader - See Photo Evidence / Obasanjo Is Not As Corrupt As Abacha- Oby Ezekwesili / The Masses Are The Cause Of The Problems In Nigeria! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Masses Are As Corrupt As Nigerian Politicians (evidence) by namdo(m): 2:38pm On May 26, 2011
na today? jobbing no start today. but i no gree say na only naija jobbing dey. cool

@joecrack >>> we call it 'matching' in waffi. grin the attendant normally tells you to match.
Re: Nigerian Masses Are As Corrupt As Nigerian Politicians (evidence) by bkbabe97y(m): 2:42pm On May 26, 2011
andyanders:

@Justcash  

Corruption is part of our system and it can only be by violence for us to get things right. Our leaders are so corrupt that they flaunt their wealth and nothing happens. Look at Bank directors, after stealing billions will get plea bargain. Governors, after looting the state dry gets plea bargain. Now, if I am going there, knowing fully well that Mr. A, got plea bargain for stealing billion, I will confident enough to steal trillion. It goes on and on. So, who will arrest who?

Nice one. Just one question, sir; WHO DID YOU VOTE FOR IN THE PRESIDENTIAL ELECTIONS?
Re: Nigerian Masses Are As Corrupt As Nigerian Politicians (evidence) by prefers555: 2:50pm On May 26, 2011
@krixik, man u have said it all. You alone has made sense of this matter. Everyone in nija thinks his poor neighbour is a potential thief. The onle reasone why there is sanity in the foreign countries is that there is a law feared and respected by all. For instance, why is mexico, americas neighbour so corrupt, even with proximity to america? simple, the govt there is corrupt and individuals in america benefit from the drug business.

Even the ghanians, that we think are saints were partly responsible for corruption in  nigeria in the early 80s, they bought in the prostitution business and smuggling business. Today, the country is better becos somebody decided it was time to put a stop to it. In nigeria, we the masses are followers, we ve just not been able to challenge our elite politicians. The moment we do this, i bet u an average nigerian will turn a new leaf. Remember, there was a time the average nigerian loved his neighbour not becos he was rich or poor, but becos he is nigerian and we still do.
Re: Nigerian Masses Are As Corrupt As Nigerian Politicians (evidence) by VALIDATOR: 2:51pm On May 26, 2011
Guys.Let's look at it this way.
Did Harvard make students brilliant OR did brilliant students make Harvard what it is?
I will say it is both ways.A push-pull thing.

Harvard has a strict policy that ensures that only brilliant students are admitted. the students once in Harvard must stay brilliant and even more brilliant to keep the "system" going.

So,it is a "system" thing.

Corruption abound in Nigeria because both the leaders and the followers believe in such a "system".If the leaders believe in corruption and the followers don't, corruption will gradually fade of.Likewise if the followers believe in it but the leaders don't,it will fade off.

Mathematically,it follows a Normal (Guasian) Distribution curve where the perceived characteristic of a whole population is determined by 68% of the population that fall within 1 standard deviation from the mean.

If like me,you like math,you can analyze it further.
Re: Nigerian Masses Are As Corrupt As Nigerian Politicians (evidence) by Johnpaul2k2(m): 2:53pm On May 26, 2011
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
even you is corrupt
pastors ARE corrupt
NORTHERNERS ARE WORST WICKED
Re: Nigerian Masses Are As Corrupt As Nigerian Politicians (evidence) by violent(m): 3:00pm On May 26, 2011
NLs and their hypocritical attitude. They want less corruption but wouldn't stand the trial of a politician if[i] "he's our son, or he's from our tribe" [/i]. . .weren't there people on this forum a while back who suggested that Ibori should be left off the hook as his trial is political in nature and there are people in government who "haven't stole as much as Ibori did". . . .here we are a couple of days after, these same nitwits keep ranting about how corrupt the country is. smh!
Re: Nigerian Masses Are As Corrupt As Nigerian Politicians (evidence) by scopusng(m): 3:15pm On May 26, 2011
corruption is a tradition in nigeria. period.
Re: Nigerian Masses Are As Corrupt As Nigerian Politicians (evidence) by chines4(m): 3:42pm On May 26, 2011
Why are we shying away from the truth, Nigerians are corrupt, how can politicians rig election if not through INEC officials, how can a police men take bribe if we are not ready to bribe them. How can Gov. inflate contracts if contractors are not willing to play ball.

The major problem is we have lost our family values. Now parent bribes teachers to favour thier kids. Sort to get admission for their kids, sort lecturers to past their kids and tomorrow you tell me that the kids will not sort their way through anything(If possible).

The question is let each and every one of us look ourselves in the mirror and ask I my corrupt and tell urself the truth.

My father said, If you that if you steal something and you can not be caught, or even the owner will not even know that its missing, and you did not steal it, then your not a thief?
Re: Nigerian Masses Are As Corrupt As Nigerian Politicians (evidence) by prince0(m): 3:48pm On May 26, 2011
If anyone can interpret this riddle it answers the question: Do you get egg from hen or hen from egg?
Re: Nigerian Masses Are As Corrupt As Nigerian Politicians (evidence) by Ayokunle07(m): 3:55pm On May 26, 2011
I believe  a lot of people are corrupt but the key to solving this menace lies almost solely with the leadership. Let's have serious persons in the corridors of power and the rest of the country will "take dressing"!
Re: Nigerian Masses Are As Corrupt As Nigerian Politicians (evidence) by MyJoe: 3:59pm On May 26, 2011
Bawss1:

Thats just dandy isn't it? Who wouldn't want to just sit and fold their hands while waiting for the messiah to appear in Aso Rock. A very tempting path indeed. We are talking about the corrupt tendencies in the Nigerian people here. EVERYONE has a part to play in it. The leaders as well the followers. Saying our own efforts won't count is supporting indolence.

[size=14pt]If everyone did the right thing[/size] within their own spheres of influence [/b]then that much desired change that we dream about will most certainly materialize. Don't blame it entirely on the leaders. The leaders agreeably have a wider influence and can effect change on a larger scale but that change will not be complete if the followers don't play their own part.
You are simply not getting it. Nowhere did I say our efforts don't count. Doing the right thing is the only right thing to do. You say IF everyone did their part, I agree. But my point is that [b]everyone is not going to do their part. Going by your model, then, the desired will never come. My model is, get a good leader and we have a shot at that getting change. It is when there a good leader and a good system in place that people like the scum described in op will stop being regarded as "sharp guys".

Leaders lead and followers follow.
Re: Nigerian Masses Are As Corrupt As Nigerian Politicians (evidence) by paragonpro: 4:23pm On May 26, 2011
I strongly disagree with you on the above statement (the topic), Masses are followers while politicians are leaders. Masses follow politicians leads. Politicians usually have monopoly of violence and cohesion and so masses are helpless unless they have divine help like Israel or foreign help like Libya. Imagine what the Libyan masses can do without outside help.

The situation is even worse in a situation where the people has be pauperized and traumatised has is done in Nigeria and most sub Saharan nation, where the is a daily struggle between survival and morality.

Remember Hitler's Germany, Stalin's Russia and Silliness's Italy, the society was a wicked and corrupt as their leader, until they were disposed mainly with outside help.

When you say politicians you should include religious leaders and traditional leaders, because they are no different from the true politicians.
Re: Nigerian Masses Are As Corrupt As Nigerian Politicians (evidence) by Blazing99: 4:41pm On May 26, 2011
[size=20pt]And the corrupt people voted in a corrupt government.[/size]
Re: Nigerian Masses Are As Corrupt As Nigerian Politicians (evidence) by kholis(m): 4:59pm On May 26, 2011
The so called corruption of the masses is just a fractional reflection of the leaders' corruption. The leaders are so called because of their model functions. They lead , others follow. In Nigeria where the leaders are brazenly above the law, the masses quickly got the message and then believe that it is unlawful to be law-abiding in a lawless society.

Nigerian masses are the most governable people on the face of the earth but our leaders have been leading us wrongly and it is automatic to tow their line. Remember that it took Buhari/Idiagbon junta just 3 months to change the psyche and behavioural pattern of Nigerians. Therefore, the attitude of the leaders determine the altitude of the masses.
Re: Nigerian Masses Are As Corrupt As Nigerian Politicians (evidence) by Olatad: 5:03pm On May 26, 2011
its quite unfortunate that Nigerian society is corrupt but,I believe no patriotic Nigerian will see this as a joking matter as it is the main reason why everybody prefers to leave the shore even to somewhere even worse. Nevertheless,i quite agree with the kuroji's comment that the presence of enforced rules in nigeria is the solution to this "pandemic."It has worked for the westerners so can it work in Nigeria.Nigerian leaders have to lead by example and ensure that the war against corruption is taken seriously.I would like to remind us that politicians or leaders are from the masses therefore,we all have roles to play in order to have a society that is free of corruption by making sure that we decide to make our society work and eschew from this act whether you are abroad or at home. God bless Nigeria!
Re: Nigerian Masses Are As Corrupt As Nigerian Politicians (evidence) by lannre(m): 5:11pm On May 26, 2011
when the head of a fish is rotten ,

tell me why and how we get it briefly right during Buhari /Idiagbon, tell me the magic in Muritala short tenure, please spare me long story.
Re: Nigerian Masses Are As Corrupt As Nigerian Politicians (evidence) by gaffer: 5:13pm On May 26, 2011
Corruption in Nigeria started in d colonial days when the ancestral fathers of this nation  sells off their sons and daughters in exchange of mirror and other deceptive items  to d White men.
What is happening now is what so called ancestors passed on to this generation, termed colonialism effects". Nigeria as a  state has not yet recovered from these. To eradicate and eliminate this canker worm that has eaten deep in the economy of this beloved nation blessed with talents and natural resources. You and I has got do
Something, we are d future of dis nation. If we allow this to continue. More tragedy awaits our unborn kids.
This change must be implemented from families of various unit to public and political positions we
Occupy. Let's participate and be active to effect this change. Enough of this nonsense.
Re: Nigerian Masses Are As Corrupt As Nigerian Politicians (evidence) by dayokanu(m): 5:19pm On May 26, 2011
Its a problem with the leadership. If the leader is corrupt the followers would be corrupt

Why do Nigerians when they get to the West conform to the laws there?

Why do Americans suddenly get corrupt when they get to Nigeria?
Re: Nigerian Masses Are As Corrupt As Nigerian Politicians (evidence) by Nobody: 5:30pm On May 26, 2011
So does that mean that we have to stop critcizing corrupt government or trying to change government?
Change has to begin from the top.
Re: Nigerian Masses Are As Corrupt As Nigerian Politicians (evidence) by pleep(m): 5:31pm On May 26, 2011
i hope you talk to him. that's the kind of pple we have in nigeria now. dupers big time. they cheat you blindly. worst if they know you came from another country, from market women/men, leaders, all of them.
very sad. something of such prevent investment in nigeria.

everybodi is cheating and stealing from everybody.

what is preventing nigeria from laying down the penalty for stealing and corruption?
Because the police and lawmakers are corrupt!
Re: Nigerian Masses Are As Corrupt As Nigerian Politicians (evidence) by Nobody: 5:40pm On May 26, 2011
Nigerians are not bad people.

I do not believe that we voted for a corrupt government, unfortunate we appear to be quite happy to live with a corrupt governent and henc are not ready for change.

I was so dissapointed when I realised this, as I had hoped people were ready for chage and would want change enough to stand up and protest if elections were rigged again, given thar we have witnessed events that happened in Tunisia and Egypt.

Nigeria can have good government tomorrow all we need to do is to demand it, but alas we a gluttons for punishment and I do not see anything change for a generation, unless an anti-corruption military intervention occurs.
Re: Nigerian Masses Are As Corrupt As Nigerian Politicians (evidence) by phraze(m): 6:13pm On May 26, 2011
el-finto grecius( do thy best)
how many of us can apply our self to these crotian qoute, not all maybe some of us, i am blinded to the fact that we still cant see that change has come, a word is enough for the Wise.
Re: Nigerian Masses Are As Corrupt As Nigerian Politicians (evidence) by Thirst4Lif: 6:26pm On May 26, 2011
@OP

I, however, planted some of my boys to monitor him and bring reports of his progress back to me.

That one line lets us know you expected bad behavior from this man or you wouldn't have released

individuals to spy on him, so I don't think you were really too surprised at how things went. Some

people want to be helped, some are content sitting on their backsides and complaining about their

poor circumstances. Even though he was a poor selection I'm sure there are others who'd be more receptive

to your efforts. DON'T GIVE UP!
Re: Nigerian Masses Are As Corrupt As Nigerian Politicians (evidence) by FairGame: 6:31pm On May 26, 2011
One cannot be wiser than his environment. If u travel out of this country and come back, u will know that Nigeria is a Jungle. 'Animal Kingdom'. The way we live is not different from the way animals live the jungle.  

For instance i travelled sometimes back for about 2months and throughout my stay i did not see two people fighting physically or even exchanging words on the street. upon reaching nigeria before leaving lagos airport it was the first thing i saw and i touched my friend and said 'we are back to our animal kingdom' and he laugh

We are what we are
Re: Nigerian Masses Are As Corrupt As Nigerian Politicians (evidence) by LOLOH: 6:40pm On May 26, 2011
seems they follow the ''lead by example'' theory ;d
Re: Nigerian Masses Are As Corrupt As Nigerian Politicians (evidence) by Rossikk(m): 6:53pm On May 26, 2011
The op is 100% correct.

Tell the average Nigerian that his brother has just been appointed a federal minister, and what reaction do you get?

Jubilation, celebration, congratulatory messages in the papers, backslapping, drinks, party, Our Time Has Come!

When the new appointee fails to ''live up'' to his new, ''juicy appointment'', by making all his relatives and friends rich, they turn around and castigate him for being ''a fool''. Or for being ''stingy''.

Because in the Nigerian mindset, it is only ''a fool'' or a miser that will gain high office and not emerge stinking rich, able to help out his people, etc etc.

It is these societal pressures that cause our leaders to be more corrupt than they would ordinarily be. Afterall,  nobody likes to be despised as a failure by his people.
Re: Nigerian Masses Are As Corrupt As Nigerian Politicians (evidence) by sizzlers(m): 6:54pm On May 26, 2011
it is called follow ur leader 1 2
Re: Nigerian Masses Are As Corrupt As Nigerian Politicians (evidence) by seyibrown(f): 6:57pm On May 26, 2011
We all have a part to play! If the majority of Nigerians turn their back on corruption, we will see significant changes!  sad
Re: Nigerian Masses Are As Corrupt As Nigerian Politicians (evidence) by jpphilips(m): 7:00pm On May 26, 2011
Very wrong. For Nigeria to change for the better, it has to start from its most basic unit - the individuals. And from there, the families then to the society at large. Waiting for change from Aso Rock is just another convenient way of shying away from the hardwork and responsibility required in bringing about positive change.  

you seriously think that if Aso rock jails your father for embezzlement you will still make it corrupt?
you don't understand why it has to start from the top.
Most Europeans and Americans think like Nigerians a lot, they enjoy cutting corners just that they have a system that will not allow that, that system is designed by the Govt not individuals. the people are acting without a choice.
Do you remember how many times Nigerians attacked MTN back in the Days? today MTN has a system in check the resultant is every person buys airtime. it is that simple, Go to PHCN, in connivance with their Staff, 90% of their customers don't pay bills, it is possible simply because there is no check.

Like I told some Jonathan's Apologists, fighting corruption is no rocket science, it is all about your ability to figure out some system checks.
Bottom line is; an average American officer will hold back a the ticket for a bl()w job but simply wont do it because it can cost him his job, that is a check.

All Nigerians are corrupt o yeah!!!, how about bank staff that sit around billions on daily basis, tell me they are not Nigerians, but a system is in place to ensure that you don't take a kobo without consequences, even children that grew up in "face me i face you" like someone mentioned above gain employment in the bank but drop those tendencies at home.

Eradicating corruption is all about system checks it doesn't matter what the individual is.

If you think these Europeans and Americans are clean then you must be delusional, A multinational company i worked for sometime ago has in their payroll 26 expatriates of 11 nationalities mostly Europeans, Few Americans and a few Asians.
NONE of them has a valid work permit, all it takes is the immigration officers visiting accounts every last Friday of the month, trust me those guys have been around for more than 10yrs lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed.
Re: Nigerian Masses Are As Corrupt As Nigerian Politicians (evidence) by Nobody: 7:07pm On May 26, 2011
Johnpaul2k2:

even you is corrupt
pastors ARE corrupt
NORTHERNERS ARE WORST WICKED

Which is worse, the one killing you in their land or the ones selling your fake drugs to kill you when you have no money to buy brand name one?
Re: Nigerian Masses Are As Corrupt As Nigerian Politicians (evidence) by loco4love: 7:10pm On May 26, 2011
Nigerian society is corrupt thats why government is also corrupt. Nigeria is a crazy place. Its messed up. People are tired of the wickedness. God please help us.
Re: Nigerian Masses Are As Corrupt As Nigerian Politicians (evidence) by dinggle: 7:10pm On May 26, 2011
@Poster,
That's result of hunger and frustration, not knowing if someone like you would ever cross path with him till he dies, he decided to maximize the opportunity. I am even surprise he did go to his village to bring friends and relatives for the seminar so that he can gather the laptops and resell it. Nigerians are not corrupt they are just frustrated seeing negative minded people making progress while the positive ones keep crippling. It is what the leaders have caused its ppl. I don't wanna speak for the man, but I m sure that he must have done a lot of good in the past b4 deciding that maybe one bad would bring him good fortune. If you had spent half of the 30k to advertise on the newspapers or even on Nairaland, I'm sure you would have had a full house without even including the free laptops. Well meaning Nigerians crave for knowledge and better way of doing things.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lagos Roads Get Flooded Again! / Crisis Amongst Muslims In Jos Over APC And PDP / Buhari Is In Saudi Arabia Not UK-UK Journalist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.