Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,969 members, 7,845,127 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 12:40 PM

Should Ojukwu Apologise For The Civil War? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should Ojukwu Apologise For The Civil War? (9339 Views)

2nd Niger Bridge: Oshiomhole Must Apologise To Nigerians, Say CSOs / "As The Guardian Newspaper Has Done, APC Must Apologise For Lying" - Fayose / I Apologise To Edo People For Bringing Oshiomhole As Gov, Says Ize-iyamu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Ojukwu Apologise For The Civil War? by ak47mann(m): 12:19pm On Jun 06, 2011
Calculia:

The whole Nigerian Army killed your Sardauna in a coup. Nzeogwu was a High ranking Nigerian Army Officer from Niger/Delta, in the south/south region.

The Hausa are not just killing igbos in the north mind you. Yoruba's and all ethnic groups, even Hausa's are being killed. The Igbo's at anythime could massarce the Hausa's in our region but we are not cannibal's and have no use for human flesh. This conversation with you is over because u are unintelligent. I prescribe u go back to school.  shocked 

Thank you them idiooooots can say Jonathan ebele Azikiwe is igbo we still run Nigeria they don't know i dey laugh for Fulani cheesy
tissot84:

i think the ibos believed that niger-delta was part of them. i think u should not be deceived becos they would rather stay on their own. And the ibos should thank God that there was no biafra if there was then by now u would have notin for urselves
shut up like igbos no full delta state dont get it twisted undecided nzeokwu his from S/S cool
Re: Should Ojukwu Apologise For The Civil War? by henry101(m): 12:37pm On Jun 06, 2011
~Bluetooth:

Why brought the idea of biafra ? I'm sure you will also say it was the eastern parliament ! ROFLMAO
I still stand on it[b] that ibos introduce tribalism and unnecessary into Nigeria by killing hausas/fulanis first[/b].

See how you got it wrong. did you know that Igbos were killed in the 40s and 50s before the real war.
Anyway, Did Alabi say He was ambushed by Adekunle,
How many of you read the the entire interview?
hear him:

"Adekunle and His Men
The point was that he was not listening to me. When he was not listening to me, we were losing men. From Calabar to Port Harcourt, Adekunle was not there. He was in Lagos trying to get supplies so that when we get to Port Harcourt, we regroup, reorganise and move on. Because we would now be facing the core Igbo heartland.

I had 8 casualties in men and one dead for the 300 miles, whereas when we started OAU, that is to go and capture Owerri, Aba and Umuahia, that was rubbish. What would you need Umuahia for? Why must you capture Aba, Owerri?

Would it end the war? And everywhere we attacked, people died. May be, it was  the part in me that will not let me see people die, and for the fact that my mother had warned me never to kill anybody that looked at me in the face. My mother bought five canes.

One for me, one for Adekunle, Ariyo, Akinrade, and Abubakar. We never carried any weapon during the war. The aim was not to kill these people; but cause enough panic and let them just surrender. But a lot of my people wanted it otherwise. Because I opposed the OAU, Adekunle quarrelled, and tried to ambush me. I have pictures on this subject".
Re: Should Ojukwu Apologise For The Civil War? by victorazy(m): 12:46pm On Jun 06, 2011
Apologize for what?
He is a brave man that Igbos will never forget
Imagine only one tribe fight the whole Nigeria for almost 3yrs with insufficient supply of weapons "incredible"
Ojukwu is indeed "A War Lord" (salute)
Re: Should Ojukwu Apologise For The Civil War? by Abagworo(m): 12:49pm On Jun 06, 2011
Andre Uweh:

Do you mean your father?.
Most people who fought on both sides of the war are in the 60's and 70s now.

No  meant my old Granny.My father was in primary school then.He joined boys company towards the end of that war.People in the village heard that Hausa people were coming to wipe them and they mobilised young men armed with whatever they had to go and defend themselves.That is the story of an average Igbo family.All these bullsh*t about oil was unknown then.

My take on the whole war saga is Ojukwu not surrendering on time.Waiting for 3 years of massacre before running away is mere cowardice to me.If I were Ojukwu I would have surrendered in 6 months knowing fully well that I lack the machinery to withstand the federal forces.

Another mistake is coming back to contest President of Nigeria.APGA kept on fielding Ojukwu as its sole candidate until 2011.
Re: Should Ojukwu Apologise For The Civil War? by Diligence: 12:55pm On Jun 06, 2011
Stupid topic!
Re: Should Ojukwu Apologise For The Civil War? by Nobody: 12:59pm On Jun 06, 2011
Believe of most igbo ppl : I most not apologize to people even when am wrong, because that makes me a COWARD
Re: Should Ojukwu Apologise For The Civil War? by MMM2(m): 1:02pm On Jun 06, 2011
4 what?
Re: Should Ojukwu Apologise For The Civil War? by banom(m): 1:03pm On Jun 06, 2011
apologise for what ? for trying to save his people ? nonsense.
Re: Should Ojukwu Apologise For The Civil War? by Nobody: 1:04pm On Jun 06, 2011
henry101:

See how you got it wrong. did you know that Igbos were killed in the 40s and 50s before the real war.
Anyway, Did Alabi say He was ambushed by Adekunle,
How many of you read the the entire interview?
hear him:

"Adekunle and His Men
The point was that he was not listening to me. When he was not listening to me, we were losing men. From Calabar to Port Harcourt, Adekunle was not there. He was in Lagos trying to get supplies so that when we get to Port Harcourt, we regroup, reorganise and move on. Because we would now be facing the core Igbo heartland.

I had 8 casualties in men and one dead for the 300 miles, whereas when we started OAU, that is to go and capture Owerri, Aba and Umuahia, that was rubbish. What would you need Umuahia for? Why must you capture Aba, Owerri?

Would it end the war? And everywhere we attacked, people died. May be, it was  the part in me that will not let me see people die, and for the fact that my mother had warned me never to kill anybody that looked at me in the face. My mother bought five canes.

One for me, one for Adekunle, Ariyo, Akinrade, and Abubakar. We never carried any weapon during the war. The aim was not to kill these people; but cause enough panic and let them just surrender. But a lot of my people wanted it otherwise. Because I opposed the OAU, Adekunle quarrelled, and tried to ambush me. I have pictures on this subject".

How many cases of hausa/fulani killing of southerners prior to independence compared to what we have after the killing of sardauna ?
Re: Should Ojukwu Apologise For The Civil War? by tissot84: 1:36pm On Jun 06, 2011
@ Abagworo (m)

Ibos oil asin palm oil becos i dnt know which of ur state have got oil asin black gold
Re: Should Ojukwu Apologise For The Civil War? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 1:42pm On Jun 06, 2011
~Bluetooth:

How many cases of hausa/fulani killing of southerners prior to independence compared to what we have after the killing of sardauna ?

@Bluetooth u are starting to annoy me. We don't care whether or not you hate the igbo's. Don't talk like the hausa/fulani are peaceful or civilised because they are not. Read cases below of hausa/fulani killing fellowNigerians before the coup or war. angry

945 - 1950 The "Jos" riots occurred in the north which were minor riots in protest of the northern amalgamation with the southern regions. When oil was discovered in the Ibo dominated eastern region, the Emirs of Zaria and Katsina demanded fifty percent of the seats in the newly formed Central Legislature. The Emirs threatened to secede from Nigeria if their demands were not met. The acceptance of these demands signaled the beginning of northern domination of Nigerian national politics.

1953 Anti-Ibo riots broke out in the north in protest of Ibo domination of social, political, business and military institutions. Ibos were hunted down and attacked in Kano, 245 were injured and more than 52 were killed. The southern Yoruba did not participate in the fighting.

1954 The Federal Executive Council (FEC) was created to introduce the eastern and western regions to a system of greater autonomy. This caused further animosities between the northerners and their southern Ibo neighbors. source UNHCR
Re: Should Ojukwu Apologise For The Civil War? by cheikh: 1:46pm On Jun 06, 2011
Op,
What ever happened to the concept of ¨No Victor No Vanquised¨? It precludes no appologies nor triumphalism sad grin

Haters wink will have to deal with the reality, full meaning and import of the above slogan grin grin
Re: Should Ojukwu Apologise For The Civil War? by Nobody: 1:51pm On Jun 06, 2011
Bliss4Lyfe:

@Bluetooth u are starting to annoy me. We don't care whether or not you hate the igbo's. Don't talk like the hausa/fulani are peaceful or civilised because they are not. Read cases below of hausa/fulani killing fellowNigerians before the coup or war. angry

1954 The Federal Executive Council (FEC) was created to introduce the eastern and western regions to a system of greater autonomy. This caused further animosities between the northerners and their southern Ibo neighbors.

Did I just said you should make a comparison of the deaths toll before independence and post-independence and show me me which era really aggravates ethnic killing by the hausas ?
Re: Should Ojukwu Apologise For The Civil War? by ak47mann(m): 1:52pm On Jun 06, 2011
tissot84:

@   Abagworo (m)

Ibos oil asin palm oil becos i dnt know which of your state have got oil asin black gold
are you okay IMO state and abia state get oil wells now in anambra state their is a lot oil and gas there which the state Govt. is working on for extraction. don't be deceived Mr man grin
Re: Should Ojukwu Apologise For The Civil War? by Nobody: 1:54pm On Jun 06, 2011
~Bluetooth:

The killing was not carried by army but ibo soldiers and that is the beginning of the killing of ibos by the northerners.
The South would have had a good bargaining term if there was no war but it seems to me that the ultimate thing was secession and not a peaceful negotiation to end the killing of southerners by the hausa/fulanis.

1. Did you really say that? I mean the bolded? I see, the other day when a Nigerian police officer of Hausa extraction shot and killed a US based Igbo man simply because he refused the policeman's bid to extort money from him, we the Igbos would have gone wild killing and miming Hausa's and argue that, "our brother was not shot by Nigeria police officer but by an Hausa police officer".

I have never paid attention to your posts, but I think that if this is how you reason, then the likes of you are the reason Nigeria will never become one country.

2. Did you say  there was no bargaining? Well, Ojukwu went to Aburi in Ghana with the Nigerian side. There were bargains and agreements. but Gowon and his people went back on their word while the killing of Igbos contnued.

Even till now, while you are busy trying to blame the Igbos for Nigerias backwardness, they are still being killed by "Nigerians". Get this one thing : Nigeria was never one, is not one and will never be. At leaset, not with the mentality of the Jihardists.
Re: Should Ojukwu Apologise For The Civil War? by Nobody: 1:56pm On Jun 06, 2011
I think all over past leaders should be in jail be it Ibo, Hausa, Yoruba If not for war crimes then for corruption
Re: Should Ojukwu Apologise For The Civil War? by Nobody: 2:08pm On Jun 06, 2011
noblezone:

1. Did you really say that? I mean the bolded? I see, the other day when a Nigerian police officer of Hausa extraction shot and killed a US based Igbo man simply because he refused the policeman's bid to extort money from him, we the Igbos would have gone wild killing and miming Hausa's and argue that, "our brother was not shot by Nigeria police officer but by an Hausa police officer".

I have never paid attention to your posts, but I think that if this is how you reason, then the likes of you are the reason Nigeria will never become one country.

2. Did you say  there was no bargaining? Well, Ojukwu went to Aburi in Ghana with the Nigerian side. There were bargains and agreements. but Gowon and his people went back on their word while the killing of Igbos contnued.

Even till now, while you are busy trying to blame the Igbos for Nigerias backwardness, they are still being killed by "Nigerians". Get this one thing : Nigeria was never one, is not one and will never be. At leaset, not with the mentality of the Jihardists.

Everybody knows what happened in Accra and how ojuku was able to outsmart Gowon and co into believing that the accord reached was to settle the problems on ground.Even ojuku had to admit that the generals did not know the implications of their actions.What I'm saying in essence is that you apply the right solution to a particular problem.war doesn't have to be the only way for a secession to be achieved.
Re: Should Ojukwu Apologise For The Civil War? by Abagworo(m): 2:16pm On Jun 06, 2011
tissot84:

@   Abagworo (m)

Ibos oil asin palm oil becos i dnt know which of your state have got oil asin black gold

The politics of post-1970 is not same as pre-1970.The state creation was aimed at minimizing the obvious large oil reserves in Igboland.That not withstanding I happen to be from an oil-producing Igbo community in Imo state.Look at it this way Ogbaru,Oguta,Ogba,Ndoni,Egbema,Ohaji are thesame people but found in Imo,Anambra,Rivers and Delta states.You can do your research.Ndoki/Asa is found in Abia,Rivers and Akwa-Ibom.These are all oil producing sub-groups in Igboland.
Re: Should Ojukwu Apologise For The Civil War? by Nobody: 2:31pm On Jun 06, 2011
~Bluetooth:

Everybody knows what happened in Accra and how ojuku was able to outsmart Gowon and co into believing that the accord reached was to settle the problems on ground.Even ojuku had to admit that the generals did not know the implications of their actions.What I'm saying in essence is that you apply the right solution to a particular problem.war doesn't have to be the only way for a secession to be achieved.

"Was able to outsmart"?
Na wa o. You called Gowon and all the leaders of Nigeria as at then, "Dumb".

For your info, Ojukwu did not declare war. He simply said, "since you can't protect us, then let us have our won identity and protect ourselves". Then Nigeria, declared war.

For your info, Gowon has apologised, its remaning Buhari, OBJ, IBB, and their likes to do same.
Finally, tell your Jihardists brothers to stop spilling the blood of Igbos and other minorities tribes. Else, the second civil war is not far, only like I said, this time around, it won't be the Igbo's on the burner.

cheers.
Re: Should Ojukwu Apologise For The Civil War? by Abagworo(m): 2:32pm On Jun 06, 2011
tissot84:

@   Abagworo (m)

Quit Our Land, Egbema People Tell SPDC

Posted by John Bibor on Jan 4th, 2010 and filed under Front Pix. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Rivers State Governor, Rt. Hon. Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi (left) conferring with His Eminence, Eze Chukumela Nnam Obi II, Oba of Ogbaland, former chairman, Rivers State council of Traditional Rulers at the 78th Quarterly meeting of the council held on Thursday.
The Egbemas in Rivers and Imo States have called on the Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria (SPDC) to hasten up the process of dismantling its facilities from their land, just as they also pleaded with the Federal Government to end gas flaring this year.
The speaker of the Imo State House of Assembly, Rt. Hon. Goodluck N. Opiah said this at the reception organised in his honour and Sir Mike Okiro the former Inspector-General of Police at Okwuzi in the Ogba/Egbema/Ndoni local government area of Rivers State.
Rt. Hon. Opiah said that Shell has refused to contribute towards the development of Egbema Kingdom both in Rivers State and Imo State despite its long years of operation in the area stressing that the people are now on their knees praying for Shell to quit their kingdom.
The Imo State Speaker, also criticized the marginalization of the Egbemas in Rivers State, stressing that apart from the dilapidated secondary school at Okwuzi, there is nothing on ground to show the presence of the government in the area.
In is speech, the Rivers State Governor, Rt. Hon. Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi said that the state government would identify with the Sir Mike Okiro Educational Foundation for the less privileged.
The governor who was represented by the speaker of the Rivers State House of Assembly, Rt Hon. Tonye Harry, promised that the state government would look into the needs of the people with a view to taking action.
Dignitaries who attended the event includes, the Eze Ogba of Ogbaland and former chairman, Rivers State Council of Traditional Rulers, His Eminence Chukwumela Nnam Obi and other
http://www.thetidenewsonline.com/?p=7160
Re: Should Ojukwu Apologise For The Civil War? by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jun 06, 2011
noblezone:

"Was able to outsmart"?
Na wa o. You called Gowon and all the leaders of Nigeria as at then, "Dumb".

For your info, Ojukwu did not declare war. He simply said, "since you can't protect us, then let us have our won identity and protect ourselves". Then Nigeria, declared war.

For your info, Gowon has apologised, its remaning Buhari, OBJ, IBB, and their likes to do same.
Finally, tell your Jihardists brothers to stop spilling the blood of Igbos and other minorities tribes. Else, the second civil war is not far, only like I said, this time around, it won't be the Igbo's on the burner.

cheers.

So a man little above 30 years was the one who knows what was in the best interest of his people where there are other nationalist ibo leaders to lead any reasonable cause on behalf of ibos ? shocked Who did he consult before taking such step ?
Re: Should Ojukwu Apologise For The Civil War? by kabba7(m): 3:19pm On Jun 06, 2011
[color=#990000][/color]Am not very sure dis Ojukwu war is really over cause with fake dis fake dat from Aba or Onitsha, & D sum of over 1.5 Billion in 2011 FG budget for Ojukwu and his rebel sojas,robbery everwhere not to talk of Drug trafficking,Scams,&419 We are at WAR by other means no joking!
Re: Should Ojukwu Apologise For The Civil War? by T9ksy(m): 4:48pm On Jun 06, 2011
Yes Ojukwu should apologise if not to his people but at least to the yorubas (and the midwest region), for dragging us into a meaningless war we wanted nor desire a part in.

Ojukwu had no reason "invading" another region with his "seceeding" soldiers.

Just my honest opinion.
Re: Should Ojukwu Apologise For The Civil War? by manny4life(m): 5:11pm On Jun 06, 2011
Here goes the usual tribal nonsense again; can yall just beat it? Those seeking apologies should wait for one while it last. Those talking about war crimes and Hauge, please research before talking.
Re: Should Ojukwu Apologise For The Civil War? by KDULAR: 5:14pm On Jun 06, 2011
Just another thread that 'will bring up and has indeed resulted in ethnic jabs and promote ethnic chauvinism. Me i like his courage (ojukwu) but not his action as an officer of the Nigerian Army. Unfortunately, the statement that he should apologise to his people is coing from a Yoruba man and the way it is, it is a well known fact that an average Ibo man will do everything in his power to make himself look better than  Yoruba man  who are termed as irresponsible, lazy ,cowards and anything derogatory they can think of. Thus such statement coming from an "ofe manu" onye beribe " will never make sense.
So i submit, if the Ibos don't see anything wrong in his act and leadership, then leave him alone. Anyone who does not remember history and learn from it will definitely the same history repeating itself untill ammendment is made. I have said it several times her in different ways that if you continue to blame others for your failures and woes, you will not have a substantial growth instead  you'll only be gathering muscles which can only take you far but not far enough.

So enough of these Yorubas commenting on what they 'll rather get insulted than appreciated and face their own business. Ki omo osan yin ma ko Igi ba Iya re.
Re: Should Ojukwu Apologise For The Civil War? by dayokanu(m): 5:28pm On Jun 06, 2011
At least he should have kept his secession war away from Ore which is Yorubaland and from the Mid West.

I think Igbos should apologize for murdering other tribal leaders while allowing theirs to escape
Re: Should Ojukwu Apologise For The Civil War? by rareman(m): 5:57pm On Jun 06, 2011
here is my humble opinion, Nigeria should be the one apologizing to IGBOs, why all the things that led to the war none has been addressed, abory accord is still the bane of Nigeria today
Re: Should Ojukwu Apologise For The Civil War? by KDULAR: 6:05pm On Jun 06, 2011
Do people other Nigerians still have the leverage of Settling in any part of Iboland a( Major cities and towns) as in buy a piece land, build a house ( not renting) and have a fledging businesses as is being done in the other parts of the country.
Re: Should Ojukwu Apologise For The Civil War? by Blazay(m): 6:12pm On Jun 06, 2011
Of course he should!
The blood thirsty Biafran cannibal! kiss
He was soooooooooo jealous of his brother Nzewowu!
E-badu belle and e-jelosi of from the typical accross the Niger Igbo person can never stop!
Bush thangs! kiss

Imagine after ever so cunningly avoiding the civil war Nzeogwu invited him to partake in(as a BRODA o). . .only to turn around to go start his stoopid Biafran concept!

Because Hausa man don whisper for im ears say 'oyel' dey for Southern Nigeria!

May dat his Gorrilla, shuku-shuku bia-bia never stop growing even in his pubic area even after he rests in his casket!

Iseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! kiss
Re: Should Ojukwu Apologise For The Civil War? by maxsiollun: 6:15pm On Jun 06, 2011
One of the things that came out from this interview (which no one commented on) is the revulsion caused by the Jan 66 coup plotters' murder of civilians. Their brother officers were appalled that they could commit such savage violence in the name of staging a coup. It was regarded as an utter abomination for a soldier to attack his fellow officers and to kill their family members.

Alabi Isama said:

Nzeogwu and his team killed first. They killed a man and his wife who were sleeping. The Hausas would not kill women. But a man and his wife were killed. If you had killed my mother, I would not only have killed the family but I would have killed the neighbours and levelled the area.

Lt-Col Keshi said:

Why should an officer who has a duty to protect his country be working against same country even to the point of turning his gun against his brother officers? What sort of bravery is that for a highly trained officer to crawl round defenseless people’s beds at night killing them?

Please note that both Keshi and Isama are from Nzeogwu's region,
Re: Should Ojukwu Apologise For The Civil War? by dayokanu(m): 6:18pm On Jun 06, 2011
^^ Exactly Maxsilion

If Soldiers of Igbo extraction can go and kill innocent politicians in their bedrooms while sparing theirs then they should apologize to the rest of us. What did Bello, Balewa, Akintola and Okotie Eboh do to Ibo soldiers?

Thats why I am grateful to Benjamin Adekunle for the havoc he wrecked in Biafra. If you think you can kill others and spare yours, next time think about it twice.
Re: Should Ojukwu Apologise For The Civil War? by Afam4eva(m): 6:24pm On Jun 06, 2011
Why should Ojukwu apologize to Igbos? It was the Nigerian that declared war on Biafra for declaring a sovereign state.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Kanu Could Be Right About Jubril- Picture / GNI Charges ADC Memebers To Remain Strong And Focused On The Victory Ahead / Five Southwest States Owe Pensioners N330b, Says Union

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.