Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,287 members, 7,829,651 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:07 AM

Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes (14513 Views)

Father Thaddeus Ilechukwu Disguises As A Beggar In Anambra / I Want To Start Paying My Tithes To The Poor. Is Any Thing Wrong With That? / "I Paid My Tithes At 4square, I Had Accident, Lost My Job, Pastor Abandoned Me" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by oilmane(m): 10:56am On Dec 19, 2021
[quote author=youngdave78 post=108625167]I was wondering if it's a most to take your tithes to church?

It is, so long you don't give it to your pastor, you can give it to the poor, widows, orphans or less privileged in your Church, tithe is meant for merry making in the presence of God, the only clause is that the Levite's join you in making merry, you're to carry the poor amongst you along since there are no Levite's here. Deut 14 V 22 down is for your guidance.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by LollySeaSide: 10:57am On Dec 19, 2021
Simran94:

The reason why Jesus rebuked them was because they refused to help the needy, not because they were giving tithes.
Go and read the book of Malachi 3 VS 10.
Malachi 3:10, NIV: "Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,' says the LORD Almighty, 'and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store.
Jesus said in Luke:
But woe to you Pharisees! For you pay tithe of mint and rue and every kind of garden herb, and yet disregard justice and the love of God; but these are the things you should have done without neglecting the others.”
See this bolded part, "But these are the things you should have done(which are Justice and Love of God) without neglecting the others(Tithe)
The book of Malachi is not a Christian book.
I read it just to know what happened when people were still under the law.
I am a Christian and I am not under the law.
Many Christians still subject themselves to the law because they don't want to be seen as the disobedient ones. Too bad!
And to my earlier post, I never implied that Jesus said they shouldn't pay tithes. He simply told them that tithing was less important. Maybe you didn't notice that I wrote more important things in bold? That's for emphasis.
Our G.O.s of these days say otherwise.
Tithing now comes before any other thing!
Too bad.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by mindengrave(m): 10:59am On Dec 19, 2021
Then its means you believe in tithing and if you truly does you follow what the bible says. Bible didn't talk about giving tithe to beggar. No issue if you give money to beggar. Its either you believe in tithing or not. Or you are looking for peace by condemning by condemning what you feel if you do you will not be comfortable with. You can never condemn the truth to have peace. There is no half way. For me i'm never on the fence. Get a life!
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by Nobody: 11:00am On Dec 19, 2021
LollySeaSide:

The book of Malachi is not a Christian book.
I read it just to know what happened when people were still under the law.
I am a Christian and I am not under the law.
Many Christians still subject themselves to the law because they don't want to be seen as the disobedient ones. Too bad!
And to my earlier post, I never implied that Jesus said they shouldn't pay tithes. He simply told them that tithing was less important. Maybe you didn't notice that I wrote more important things in bold? That's for emphasis.
Too bad.

My bolded text on the post you just quoted already answers your question.
Selah.
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by LollySeaSide: 11:02am On Dec 19, 2021
Dada4me:

I am happy that you know this verse, but you need to read it with understanding.

Jesus said in that passage ' this you ought to have done and not to have left the other undone'.

Jesus did not condemn them for paying tithes but for believing that paying tithes would give them good rating with God irrespective of how they lived their lives.

He challenged them to be upright and still should not stop paying their tithes.

I hope this helps.

Happy Sunday.

I never implied that Jesus said they shouldn't pay tithes. He simply told them that tithing was less important. Maybe you didn't notice that I wrote more important things in bold? That's for emphasis.
Too bad.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by Myer(m): 11:05am On Dec 19, 2021
fkj950ax:

You have a right to believe or otherwise in tithing, but don't twist the definition of tithe to suit your belief in it or otherwise.
If giving cheerfully as you put it is the same as tithe, then there wouldn't have been different definitions.

Tithe is not cheerful giving.

What you should do is show me scripture where tithing was a requirement in the new testament.

I'm not here to argue with my-pastor-says believers

1 Like

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by jpmoriarti(m): 11:05am On Dec 19, 2021
kolaish:
Giving it to a beggar is simply a work of charity, it is never a tithe. The bible says you should take it to the house of God. That's a very simple instruction. Are you sure you are a Christian? A good Christian should not be struggling with where to pay his tithe. It's not your business how a tithe is been used, it's God's business. If the priest/pastor like, let him eat it alone. Remember what happened to Eli's children when they treated God's sacrifice with contempt, they were killed in war. Always let the Bible be your guide as a Christian.
You’re a criminal. May God expose you for extorting and stealing in the name of God.

Tell me a single place in the bible where Christ asked his followers to pay tithe?

1 Like

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by Foundwealth001: 11:10am On Dec 19, 2021
Moslems do not pay tithes, yes they are created by God.
No tithing in Buddhism, yes they are created by God.
The chinese are majority Buddhists, they do not tithe, nor were they ever threatened with hell fire.
The concept of tithing was an agreement between the nation of Israel and Yahweh.
The modern churches were founded on the gospel of prosperity or nothing else.
The wickedness of many GOs is 2nd to none.
God had not requested for a tithe from us, rather he expected us to help the poor ,the less privileges among us.
This was the essence of Christianity.
If you like give all your earnings to GOs because you are being blackmail that you will go to hell as a result of non tithing.
God gave us brain so that we might think.
He gave us knowledge, so that we might know.
He gave us wisdom, so that we would not be scammed by modern day GOs who are more interested in your money rather than the salvation of your soul.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by jpmoriarti(m): 11:11am On Dec 19, 2021
Dada4me:

I am happy that you know this verse, but you need to read it with understanding.

Jesus said in that passage ' this you ought to have done and not to have left the other undone'.

Jesus did not condemn them for paying tithes but for believing that paying tithes would give them good rating with God irrespective of how they lived their lives.

He challenged them to be upright and still should not stop paying their tithes.

I hope this helps.

Happy Sunday.
Christ was speaking to the Pharisees, who were worshippers of Judaism and followers of the law of Moses.

Question is, are you are Pharisees.? Are you a follower of Judaism?

No where in the bible where Christ or disciple collected tithe or asked Christians to collect tithe.

Tithing is the law. We're no longer under the law of Moses.

Stop taking yourself back to the law because of money.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by obinoral1179(m): 11:13am On Dec 19, 2021
helinues:
Can't really remember the last time I stepped on church not to talk about giving tithes.

I give my money to those who truly deserved it. Mostly unknown people like beggars and those who are desperately in need
it's doesn't affect the work of God bit.... either you pay tithes or not the Kingdom of God is marching forward and no gate of hell can stop it... Thank you.
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by fkj950ax(m): 11:13am On Dec 19, 2021
Myer:

What you should do is show me scripture where tithing was a requirement in the new testament.

I'm not here to argue with my-pastor-says believers

You don't know me, you have already labeled me. Thank God you are holier than me, and equipped with scripture.

If you like believe in tithe
If you like believe in cheerful giving
If you like believe in my pastor says
If you like recite the whole Bible in your head.
If you like be looking for requirement in scripture

Your salvation is not hinged on mine, neither is mine hinged on yours, so I won't dignify your call to debate scripture so you can strut around like a peacock.
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by RepoMan007: 11:13am On Dec 19, 2021
fkj950ax:

You have a right to believe or otherwise in tithing, but don't twist the definition of tithe to suit your belief in it or otherwise.
If giving cheerfully as you put it is the same as tithe, then there wouldn't have been different definitions.

Tithe is not cheerful giving.
Thank you for the last statement. That poster was confusing adverb for the verb it modifies.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by itslinkin4005(m): 11:13am On Dec 19, 2021
ITS VERY VERY WRONG. YOU CAN GIVE A BEGGER MONEY BUT NOT YOUR TITHES.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by obinoral1179(m): 11:15am On Dec 19, 2021
jpmoriarti:
Christ was speaking to the Pharisees, who were worshippers of Judaism and followers of the law of Moses.

No where in the bible where Christ or disciple collected tithe or asked Christians to collect tithe.

sorry to burst your bubble Tithe is not Moses law it's preceded Moses.,.it's from God...
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by Nwaajasa: 11:15am On Dec 19, 2021
Tithes is to be pay into the house of God for the work of God not to the pastors or beggers. You give gifts to pastors and arms to beggers this what Bible teaches us thanks
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by jpmoriarti(m): 11:16am On Dec 19, 2021
nwabueze1999:
Some of the questions you people ask here sha....
Tithe is only 10% of your increase.

If you got 10k, your tithe is 10% of it.
If you got 100k, 1m, 500m, 120b, even #100(hundred naira) same 10% applies to it.
And it is meant for the house of God.
If you hear that someone gave a tithe of #50m, it means he has #500m.

You considering if to give it to God or a beggar means you haven't started giving yet.
Tithe is what you bring to the Temple. Alms giving is for beggars.
Read Matt 6.
Continue throwing away your money to rich GOs. While they buy private jets from your money, you continue to be poor.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by texazzpete(m): 11:17am On Dec 19, 2021
ITbomb:
Very wrong
Tithe is specifically for the upkeep of the Temple or Church in this case (and people working in there)
That doesn't mean you should not help the beggar if you have any other money

You people have succeeded in bastardizing the message of Christianity.

Imagine how Charity - the main focus of many of Jesus parables - is relegated to ‘if you have any other money’.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by jpmoriarti(m): 11:20am On Dec 19, 2021
obinoral1179:
sorry to burst your bubble Tithe is not Moses law it's preceded Moses.,.it's from God...
We're Christians, followers of Christ, living under the grace of God. We're no longer bound by law.

There is no where in the scripture where Christ told his followers to pay tithe or collect tithe.

Anyone who pays or collects tithe in the new testament, has denounced Christ and has brought a curse of the law upon themselves. Read Galatians 3:10

1 Like

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by ayenale1(m): 11:22am On Dec 19, 2021
DWJOBScom:

The command is straight forward
Honor the Lord with your tithe.
Give to the poor as well
You are not giving to man but God for the furtherance of his work
Who will collect and spend...God??

1 Like

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by ronyman(m): 11:22am On Dec 19, 2021
On what basis did God institute tithing and for who? Understanding this will solve a lot of issues.
1. Father Abraham was the 1st to offer tithe to melchizedek after his victory in war. He gave Melchizedek 10% of his loot /spoils of war.
2. Israel has 12 tribes and all have inheritance except Levites (the sons of Levi) so the tithe from all tribes is for them because they don't work, they are to always be in the temple.
3. There is blessing attached to tithing..
4. Tithing is optional now, but the blessings still are available.
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by jpmoriarti(m): 11:23am On Dec 19, 2021
texazzpete:

You people have succeeded in bastardizing the message of Christianity.

Imagine how Charity - the main focus of many of Jesus parables - is relegated to ‘if you have any other money’.
Yes. The pentecostal church today is all about money. Preaching prosperity gospel and leading Children of God to hellfire.

Christ preached love but what we have today is greed.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by frozen70(f): 11:23am On Dec 19, 2021
youngdave78:
I was wondering if it's a most to take your tithes to church?

I feel satisfied giving the less privilege and the extreme poor people around me, than giving tithes to any Pastor
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by jpmoriarti(m): 11:25am On Dec 19, 2021
ayenale1:

Who will collect and spend...God??

grin grin grin grin Paid into God's account number

Olodo people. It is only dumb people that will bring there hard earned money to give to a thief behind pulpit. Stealing with the name of God.

Christ never asked the followers to pay tithe, nor did he ever collect it.

Christ only asked us to love one another. We're clearly not doing that today.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by Tingotoe: 11:26am On Dec 19, 2021
chatinent:
I think the main person who needs to be given anything is the beggar rather than the other rich beggar who uses subtle means to extort it from you with the threat of you roasting in hell fire as a spirit when you die.

Do not pastors tell you to ask God for protection and guidance while they themselves use security personnel after your tithes and offerings have accumulated billions upon billions for them?

You give your tithes and offerings in secret but they tweet their giveback to the world...that is if they even give because last time I checked, they tell you to pray to God for your needs.

They are always telling you God told them to do this and do that...however, every pastor says different things “from God.”

They preach prosperity! Jesus preached God's Kingdom.

Before you intend arguing with me, explain to me what rashidi yekeni yamaha Kawa totoyota susuki means.

With the number of churches in Nigeria alone, one would think it is the most peaceful region. You can see up to twelve different churches in a two storey in Nigeria shouting differently and you are wondering why they will not tell you it is God that called them? Simply! You are vulnerable to be deceived when you hear God! The format has enriched many billionaires of the world!

You will see them hampering on offering from the “old testament” yet leaving Paul's account on voluntary giving?

Brothers,

They give you what you want to hear: miracles magic, fake testimonies, and “God says” since it brings quick responses.

Some of their fleet of cars, and private jets can feed the whole country for years. I mean three-square meals.

Ever wondered why every pastor you can think of is a billionaire? Simple! You pray to God for money and give to them who thank God for bringing people like you!

You, yes you, you respect your pastor even more than the God you claim to serve. The only respect you have for him is writing the “G” in capital letters!

I promise you, I won't respond to you.
I wanted to answer the questioner but you said it all and no you don't have to respond

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by brightalo1010: 11:27am On Dec 19, 2021
youngdave78:

First I want to know any passage in the Bible where Someone was saved from any sickness , get wealthy, got married, find job, find favor e.t.c all because he paid tithe. Even jesus himself said woe unto you that pays tithe without doing the more important things which is giving to the needy and that was the only time Jesus talked about tithe, all the time Jesus was going around I never seen any passage of the Bible where he threatened anyone with tithe. Tithe giving is not even in 10 commandment. I hope this few instances will help you understand which is more important between giving to a beggar and tithe.

Remember Jesus is the only that died for your sins not your pastor so chose the one you want to obey between Jesus and pastor.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by Fran6ik: 11:31am On Dec 19, 2021
DWJOBScom:

The command is straight forward
Honor the Lord with your tithe.
Give to the poor as well
You are not giving to man but God for the furtherance of his work

But Jesus said whatever you give to the lesst of his brothers you give to him. No what u gave to church.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by jpmoriarti(m): 11:34am On Dec 19, 2021
ronyman:
On what basis did God institute tithing and for who? Understanding this will solve a lot of issues.
1. Father Abraham was the 1st to offer tithe to melchizedek after his victory in war. He gave Melchizedek 10% of his loot /spoils of war.
2. Israel has 12 tribes and all have inheritance except Levites (the sons of Levi) so the tithe from all tribes is for them because they don't work, they are to always be in the temple.
3. There is blessing attached to tithing..
4. Tithing is optional now, but the blessings still are available.

1. Father Abraham was returning from war. Are the Christians of today returning from war? So going to work in your offices is now similar to going to war and killing people? Besides, if you read that chapter very well, you will see that he returned back the 90% to the king of Sodom. So if you want to pay tithe like Abraham, then it means you have to return the rest 90% back to your employer.

2.There is no body from Nigeria that qualifies to be a Levite. Your GOs are not from Isreal. They're from Nigeria, with roots in Nigeria. So going from this argument, no single person in Nigeria qualifies as Levite because Levi is a family in Isreal. And besides, Levites recevied no allotment of land or anything. But your GOs today, have properties scattered all over the world.

3. There is no single blessing attached to tithing. It is actually a curse to tithe. Galatians 3:10. Tithing is the law.
4. Tithe is not known to Christianity. It carries a curse for who denounces the grace of God to go back into the law.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by Anakazo22: 11:34am On Dec 19, 2021
youngdave78:

You are not thinking straight and that's why you are having such thought. How can you say you are giving your tithe to a beggar,how you alright, which Bible are you reading. Giving to a beggar is called alms giving and it is not the same as giving your tithe. Tithe should be paid to your local church that feeds you spiritually. Mal 3:9
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by Fran6ik: 11:35am On Dec 19, 2021
Nwaajasa:
Tithes is to be pay into the house of God for the work of God not to the pastors or beggers. You give gifts to pastors and arms to beggers this what Bible teaches us thanks

What did Jesus teach? Whatever you give to the poor, you give to him.. To give Jesus your tithe, give it to the poor.
Is that not what will make our world better?

WICKED SELFISH PEOPLE

1 Like

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by Dada4me: 11:36am On Dec 19, 2021
jpmoriarti:

There are moral laws and ceremonial laws. Ceremonial laws are done away with while moral laws remain in operation.

The law of Moses says thou shall not kill, is it obsolete now? Your answer goes for tithe. Note too that Jesus did not condemn those who pay tithe even though he did not expressly take tithe. This is because he was not the leader in the temple.
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by Fran6ik: 11:37am On Dec 19, 2021
kolaish:
Giving it to a beggar is simply a work of charity, it is never a tithe. The bible says you should take it to the house of God. That's a very simple instruction. Are you sure you are a Christian? A good Christian should not be struggling with where to pay his tithe. It's not your business how a tithe is been used, it's God's business. If the priest/pastor like, let him eat it alone. Remember what happened to Eli's children when they treated God's sacrifice with contempt, they were killed in war. Always let the Bible be your guide as a Christian.

A good Christian knows to give to Jesus is to give to the poor as he CLEARLY stated even as one of his judgement laws.

Why be an AntiChrist to preach against Christ teaching?

1 Like

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by jpmoriarti(m): 11:37am On Dec 19, 2021
Anakazo22:

You are not thinking straight and that's why you are having such thought. How can you say you are giving your tithe to a beggar,how you alright, which Bible are you reading. Giving to a beggar is called alms giving and it is not the same as giving your tithe. Tithe should be paid to your local church that feeds you spiritually. Mal 3:9
Teaching from the pits of hell.

We're Chrisitans. Followers of Christ. We're no longer bound by law.

Christ never asked us to pay tithe. He never collected it.

Focus on Christ alone. Malachi is not for Christians.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Did Jesus Die for Our Sin? Which Sin? Ifeann Should Please Come In / Today Is Christ The King Sunday / NAKED CHURCH UNVEILED, Opens Branches In Abuja, Lagos, P/harcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.