Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,445 members, 7,830,224 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:04 PM

Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes (14519 Views)

Father Thaddeus Ilechukwu Disguises As A Beggar In Anambra / I Want To Start Paying My Tithes To The Poor. Is Any Thing Wrong With That? / "I Paid My Tithes At 4square, I Had Accident, Lost My Job, Pastor Abandoned Me" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by jpmoriarti(m): 11:41am On Dec 19, 2021
Dada4me:

There are moral laws and ceremonial laws. Ceremonial laws are done away with while moral laws remain in operation.

The law of Moses says thou shall not kill, is it obsolete now? Your answer goes for tithe. Note too that Jesus did not condemn those who pay tithe even though he did not expressly take tithe. This is because he was not the leader in the temple.
So who's the leader in our Church today? Your GOs? They're bigger than Christ?

And besides there is nothing like moral and ceremonial laws. Law is law and all are done away with. We're living under the grace. Practising the law carries a curse. Galatians 3:10.

Christ only taught us to love one another. If you love another, you're not going to kill such a person.

Follow Christ alone and leave laws of Moses to Judaism

1 Like

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by Anakazo22: 11:50am On Dec 19, 2021
jpmoriarti:
Teaching from the pits of hell.

We're Chrisitans. Followers of Christ. We're no longer bound by law.

Christ never asked us to pay tithe. He never collected it.

Focus on Christ alone. Malachi is not for Christians.

Tithing is not old testament. Abraham paid tithe and he was not under the mosaic law. Tithing is a spiritual law and it has nothing to do with Grace or law . Don't be deceive.
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by mechanics(m): 12:01pm On Dec 19, 2021
Very wrong, tithes should be given to the church, you can give beggars any other money but not your tithe.
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by jpmoriarti(m): 12:09pm On Dec 19, 2021
Anakazo22:

Tithing is not old testament. Abram paid tithe and he was not under the mosaic law. Tithing is a spiritual law and it has nothing to do with Grace or law . Don't be deceive.
Do you know how Abraham paid tithe? He was returning from war of the kings. He had taken slaves from them and food. So when he met Melchidezk, he gave him 10% of the spoils of war, which were children, women etc captured from the war. Then he proceeded to give 90% back to the king of sodom, where he captured the spoils of war.

Implication of this is that if you pay tithe like Abram (note that his name is still Abram at this point), then you return 90% back to your employer. Don't decieve yourself, there is nothing spiritual about tithe. And besides, Abram only did this once in his life time. Why are you doing it every week then? And are you likening your work to going to war and gathering slaves? lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by Anakazo22: 12:16pm On Dec 19, 2021
jpmoriarti:
Do you know how Abraham paid tithe? He was returning from war of the kings. He had taken slaves from them and food. So when he met Melchidezk, he gave him 10% of the spoils of war, which were children, women etc captured from the war. Then he proceeded to give 90% back to the king of sodom, where he captured the spoils of war.

Implication of this is that if you pay tithe like Abram (note that his name is still Abram at this point), then you return 90% back to your employer. Don't decieve yourself, there is nothing spiritual about tithe. And besides, Abram only did this once in his life time. Why are you doing it every week then? And are you likening your work to going to war and gathering slaves? lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

See have talk like you before when this Grace thing was catching me. Is simple,do what works for you but don't discouraged others from paying tithe because it's working for us and others that are paying
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by erico2k2(m): 12:21pm On Dec 19, 2021
Gkemz:
Giving to a beggar is good but should not prevent you from bringing into the storehouse of God your tithe.

Mal 3:10
Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the L ORD Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it.
go to the bible and see who tithe are for! You will be shocked this made no mention of money rather FOOD.
People may argue and say no today this is replaced with money but that's wrong cos on them days there was MONEY!.YOu do not put money in store houses.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by jpmoriarti(m): 12:23pm On Dec 19, 2021
Anakazo22:

See have talk like you before when this Grace thing was catching me. Is simple,do what works for you but don't discouraged others from paying tithe because it's working for us and others that are paying
Christianity is not about what works for you. It is about what Christ teaches us in the bible. Christianity is not a democracy.

That it works for you does not make it right. And how do you even think it is working for you? Are you now as rich as Elon Musk? Where does Elon Musk pay his tithe?

Christianity has nothing to do with financial prosperities.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by eduora: 12:24pm On Dec 19, 2021
I can't judge because of Mathew 7vs 7.as for myself,I always gives my tithe to illness,orphanages,beggars and innocent prisoners etc not for the church.present clergies are not paying their own tithes in the church or other places.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by CalmElder(m): 12:25pm On Dec 19, 2021
Proverbs 19:17
Giving to the poor has carries it own blessing. Giving to the less privileged is alms giving.

Malachi 3:10
Tithing is meant for the church and for pastors welfare.

... but if you don't have a relationship with God, it's not important whether you tithe or not.
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by erico2k2(m): 12:26pm On Dec 19, 2021
jpmoriarti:
Christianity is not about what works for you. It is about what Christ teaches us in the bible. Christianity is not a democracy.

That it works for you does not make it right. And how do you even think it is working for you? Are you now as rich as Elon Musk? Where does Elon Musk pay his tithe?

Christianity has nothing to do with financial prosperities.
the vast majority of religious leaders in Africa are fraud. They take advantage of peoples ignorance and feed on it. People are brain washed into patting away money!

1 Like

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by erico2k2(m): 12:28pm On Dec 19, 2021
CalmElder:
Proverbs 19:17
Giving to the poor has carries it own blessing. Giving to the less privileged is alms giving.

Malachi 3:10
Tithing is meant for the church and for pastors welfare.

... but if you don't have a relationship with God, it's not important whether you tithe or not.
Malachi 3:10 10Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it.

SO WHERE THOSE IT SAY MONEY?? it said so there might be food i n the house not money in the house, bearing in mind there was money taxes being paid during this period!

1 Like

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by Youngzedd(m): 12:33pm On Dec 19, 2021
TITHING DEMYSTIFIED

This is a controversial topic in Christianity, and I will do my very best to break it down with scriptures in a layman's understanding.

To me, this is A - Z of tithing. Everything you need to know about tithing has been written down here. Not just that, this post covers the new covenant. I will segment this post into two sections, the OLD COVENANT and NEW COVENANT for better understanding.

OLD COVENANT

There are 3 types of tithing.

1) Tithe of the feast: This tithe is for your consumption and you do it every first and second year.
Deuteronomy 14:22-26 explains it all.

Deuteronomy 14:22-26
[22]“You must set aside a tithe of your crops—one-tenth of all the crops you harvest each year.
[23]Bring this tithe to the designated place of worship—the place the lord your God chooses for his name to be honored—and eat it there in his presence. This applies to your tithes of grain, new wine, olive oil, and the firstborn males of your flocks and herds. Doing this will teach you always to fear the lord your God.
[24]“Now when the lord your God blesses you with a good harvest, the place of worship he chooses for his name to be honored might be too far for you to bring the tithe.
[25]If so, you may sell the tithe portion of your crops and herds, put the money in a pouch, and go to the place the lord your God has chosen.
[26]When you arrive, you may use the money to buy any kind of food you want—cattle, sheep, goats, wine, or other alcoholic drink. Then feast there in the presence of the lord your God and celebrate with your household.

2) Levitcal tithe: This tithe is what you give to the Levite (only to the descendants of Jacob’s son Levi) in the third year after you have eaten your tithe in the first and second year.

Deuteronomy 14:28-29, Deuteronomy 26:12 and Numbers 18:21- 24 explains it all.

Deuteronomy 14:28-29
[28]“At the end of every third year, bring the entire tithe of that year’s harvest and store it in the nearest town.
[29]Give it to the Levites, who will receive no allotment of land among you, as well as to the foreigners living among you, the orphans, and the widows in your towns, so they can eat and be satisfied. Then the lord your God will bless you in all your work.

Deuteronomy 26:12
[12]“Every third year you must offer a special tithe of your crops. In this year of the special tithe you must give your tithes to the Levites, foreigners, orphans, and widows, so that they will have enough to eat in your towns.

Numbers 18:21-24
[21]As for the tribe of Levi, your relatives, I will compensate them for their service in the Tabernacle. Instead of an allotment of land, I will give them the tithes from the entire land of Israel.
[22]“From now on, no Israelites except priests or Levites may approach the Tabernacle. If they come too near, they will be judged guilty and will die.
[23]Only the Levites may serve at the Tabernacle, and they will be held responsible for any offenses against it. This is a permanent law for you, to be observed from generation to generation. The Levites will receive no allotment of land among the Israelites,
[24]because I have given them the Israelites’ tithes, which have been presented as sacred offerings to the lord. This will be the Levites’ share. That is why I said they would receive no allotment of land among the Israelites.”

The strict condition here is that you must be the bloodline of Levi to collect this type of tithe. No body else on earth is qualified to collect this tithe apart from those who have the blood of Jacob's son Levi running through their veins. Any other person who collect this is either a crimlnal or ignorant.

3) Tithe to the needy: In the third year after you have previously eaten your tithe in the first and second year, you're to give the tithe of the third year to the foreigners, the fatherless and the widows. Deuteronomy 14:28-29 explains it all.

[28]“At the end of every third year, bring the entire tithe of that year’s harvest and store it in the nearest town.
[29]Give it to the Levites, who will receive no allotment of land among you, *as well as to the foreigners living among you, the orphans, and the widows* in your towns, so they can eat and be satisfied. Then the lord your God will bless you in all your work.

Levitcal tithe and tithe to the poor is for the third (3rd) year, that's to say, you share it between the Levites, foreigners, orphans and widows. It is only meant for this four set of people.

What about Malachi 3:8-10?

Well, from one perspective, it seems God was talking to only the Levites if you read Malachi from chapter 2 down to chapter 3, but from another perspective, it look like it's for both Levites and Isrealites.

THE STORE HOUSE

The Levites were to take out 10% of the tithe they collect from the Israelites and keep in the store house, Numbers 18:25 - 29 explains it, but they stopped doing it and started making smart move and God was angry with them.

Numbers 18:25-29
[25]The lord also told Moses,
[26]“Give these instructions to the Levites: When you receive from the people of Israel the tithes I have assigned as your allotment, give a tenth of the tithes you receive—a tithe of the tithe—to the lord as a sacred offering.
[27]The lord will consider this offering to be your harvest offering, as though it were the first grain from your own threshing floor or wine from your own winepress.
[28]You must present one-tenth of the tithe received from the Israelites as a sacred offering to the lord. This is the lord’s sacred portion, and you must present it to Aaron the priest.
[29]Be sure to give to the lord the best portions of the gifts given to you.

They were misbehaving with the tithes they collected, the book of Nehemiah 13:4 -13 explains it.

Nehemiah 13:4-13
[4]Before this had happened, Eliashib the priest, who had been appointed as supervisor of the storerooms of the Temple of our God and who was also a relative of Tobiah,
[5]had converted a large storage room and placed it at Tobiah’s disposal. The room had previously been used for storing the grain offerings, the frankincense, various articles for the Temple, and the tithes of grain, new wine, and olive oil (which were prescribed for the Levites, the singers, and the gatekeepers), as well as the offerings for the priests.
[6]I was not in Jerusalem at that time, for I had returned to King Artaxerxes of Babylon in the thirty-second year of his reign, though I later asked his permission to return.
[7]When I arrived back in Jerusalem, I learned about Eliashib’s evil deed in providing Tobiah with a room in the courtyards of the Temple of God.
[8]I became very upset and threw all of Tobiah’s belongings out of the room.
[9]Then I demanded that the rooms be purified, and I brought back the articles for God’s Temple, the grain offerings, and the frankincense.
[10]I also discovered that the Levites had not been given their prescribed portions of food, so they and the singers who were to conduct the worship services had all returned to work their fields.
[11]I immediately confronted the leaders and demanded, “Why has the Temple of God been neglected?” Then I called all the Levites back again and restored them to their proper duties.
[12]And once more all the people of Judah began bringing their tithes of grain, new wine, and olive oil to the Temple storerooms.
[13]I assigned supervisors for the storerooms: Shelemiah the priest, Zadok the scribe, and Pedaiah, one of the Levites. And I appointed Hanan son of Zaccur and grandson of Mattaniah as their assistant. These men had an excellent reputation, and it was their job to make honest distributions to their fellow Levites.

Did you notice that the singers (choir members) were beneficiaries of the tithe as stated in Nehemiah 13:4-13? Well, we are not ready for this discussion.

The curses Malachi 3:8-12 was talking about are found in Nehemiah 10 :28-39.

It was a curse the Israelites laid on themselves if they disobey any of the laws.

Nehemiah 10:28-39
[28]Then the rest of the people—the priests, Levites, gatekeepers, singers, Temple servants, and all who had separated themselves from the pagan people of the land in order to obey the Law of God, together with their wives, sons, daughters, and all who were old enough to understand—
[29]joined their leaders and bound themselves with an oath. They swore a curse on themselves if they failed to obey the Law of God as issued by his servant Moses. They solemnly promised to carefully follow all the commands, regulations, and decrees of the lord our Lord:
[30]“We promise not to let our daughters marry the pagan people of the land, and not to let our sons marry their daughters.
[31]“We also promise that if the people of the land should bring any merchandise or grain to be sold on the Sabbath or on any other holy day, we will refuse to buy it. Every seventh year we will let our land rest, and we will cancel all debts owed to us.
[32]“In addition, we promise to obey the command to pay the annual Temple tax of one-eighth of an ounce of silver for the care of the Temple of our God.
[33]This will provide for the Bread of the Presence; for the regular grain offerings and burnt offerings; for the offerings on the Sabbaths, the new moon celebrations, and the annual festivals; for the holy offerings; and for the sin offerings to make atonement for Israel. It will provide for everything necessary for the work of the Temple of our God.
[34]“We have cast sacred lots to determine when—at regular times each year—the families of the priests, Levites, and the common people should bring wood to God’s Temple to be burned on the altar of the lord our God, as is written in the Law.
[35]“We promise to bring the first part of every harvest to the lord’s Temple year after year—whether it be a crop from the soil or from our fruit trees.
[36]We agree to give God our oldest sons and the firstborn of all our herds and flocks, as prescribed in the Law. We will present them to the priests who minister in the Temple of our God.
[37]We will store the produce in the storerooms of the Temple of our God. We will bring the best of our flour and other grain offerings, the best of our fruit, and the best of our new wine and olive oil. And we promise to bring to the Levites a tenth of everything our land produces, for it is the Levites who collect the tithes in all our rural towns.
[38]“A priest—a descendant of Aaron—will be with the Levites as they receive these tithes. And a tenth of all that is collected as tithes will be delivered by the Levites to the Temple of our God and placed in the storerooms.
[39]The people and the Levites must bring these offerings of grain, new wine, and olive oil to the storerooms and place them in the sacred containers near the ministering priests, the gatekeepers, and the singers.“We promise together not to neglect the Temple of our God.”

The big question is, Africans getting scared because of Malachi 3:8-12, were their ancestors among those that made the vows?

NEW COVENANT

In the new covenant, you as a believer is the church (house of Yahweh/God) not a building (2 Corinthians 5:1, Acts 17:24, Acts 7:48, Matthew 24:1-2 and John 4:21-24) and a priest while Yeshua (Christ) is the high priest (Read Hebrew 7).

Because you as a believer is the church, there's no physical store house or temple, you are now the spiritual temple God dwell in, if you are the temple they use to bring their tithes to, then it's you that will consume the tithe not a Pastor or Priest.

In the entire new testament, there's no place Christ or the believers preached, received or collected tithe. Think for a minute, if the new testament is the Christian manual, why is tithing not there and what does that tell you?

C'mon, tithing and first fruit have no place in Christianity. It is what it is.

Tithing is excepting yourself from the sacrifice of Christ on the cross.

In the new covenant, the law was fulfilled by Christ and we are no longer under the law. After resurrection of Christ, the law became weak and useless as seen in the Hebrew 7:8-19.

Hebrews 7:18-19
18 The former regulation is set aside because it was weak and useless 19 (for the law made nothing perfect), and a better hope is introduced, by which we draw near to God.

Galatians 3:19-20
Why, then, was the law given at all? It was added because of transgressions until the Seed to whom the promise referred had come. The law was given through angels and entrusted to a mediator. 20 A mediator,however, implies more than one party; but God is one.

* Christ is the seed been referred to here.

Colossians 2:17
These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.
The 613 laws are shadows until Christ came. Christ fulfilled the law, done and dusted, chapter closed forever. That's why it's now weak and useless.

Hebrews 7:12
For when the priesthood is changed, the law must be changed also.
Hebrew 8 vs 13
"By calling this covenant “new,” he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and outdated will soon disappear."

Romans 7:6
But now, by dying to what once bound us, we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code.

Galatians 3:10
For all who rely on the works of the law are under a curse, as it is written: “Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law.”

* If you're to obey the laws in the old testament to be right with God, you're to obey ALL the 613 laws otherwise you're under a curse. Tithing to fulfil what's written in the book of law attracts a curse. Stop tithing, you're bringing a curse to yourself.

James 2:10
For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.

Galatians 2:21
I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!”

Galatians 5:1,4
[1]So Christ has truly set us free. Now make sure that you stay free, and don’t get tied up again in slavery to the law.
[4]For if you are trying to make yourselves right with God by keeping the law, you have been cut off from Christ! You have fallen away from God’s grace.

Hebrews 10:9-10
9 Then he said, “Here I am, I have come to do your will.” He sets aside the first to establish the second. 10 And by that will, we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Christ once for all.

He set aside OLD COVENANT found in the old testament to establish the NEW COVENANT found in the new testament.

2 Corinthians 3:6
He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant—not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.
* The letter here is the old covenants (laws) while the spirit is the new covenant. Read the whole chapter for better understanding.

Please brothers and sisters, do yourself a favour and read the whole of 2 Corinthians 3. Verse 14 "But their minds were made dull, for to this day the same veil remains when the old covenant is read. It has not been removed, because only in Christ is it taken away." is exactly what is happening in Christianity today. The minds of many were made dull.

Never allow any man born of flesh push you to do the things that are now weak and useless.
If Christ and the early Christians didn't do it, I tell you today, don't do it no matter the pressure.

The new testament scriptures are Christian manual, anything not found there shouldn't be a doctrine.

Paying tithe and giving first fruit is excepting yourself from the finished work of Christ as Galatians 2:21 and Galatians 5:1,4 tells us.

But Abram (Abraham) paid tithe before the law bla bla.

If you must do what Abram did, be ready to return 90% to where you got it from. Yeah! Return the 90% of your salary to your employer. Abram returned his own, so shall you.

Genesis 14:21-23
21 The king of Sodom said to Abram, “Give me the people and keep the goods for yourself.”

22 But Abram said to the king of Sodom, “With raised hand I have sworn an oath to the Lord, God Most High, Creator of heaven and earth, 23 that I will accept nothing belonging to you, not even a thread or the strap of a sandal, so that you will never be able to say, ‘I made Abram rich.’

Mind you, Abram (later Abraham) paid tithe from the spoils of war, not crops he got from his farm or money from his reserve.

Never forget the book of 2 Corinthians 9:7 is the Christian standard of giving.

2 Corinthians 9:7
Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

You are free to give 10%, 50% even 100% but, NEVER you call it tithe or first fruit because Christians have no business with the mosaic laws.

Remember the below:

James 1:27
Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

Acts 10:1-4
1 At Caesarea there was a man named Cornelius, a centurion in what was known as the Italian Regiment. 2 He and all his family were devout and God-fearing; he gave generously to those in need and prayed to God regularly. 3 One day at about three in the afternoon he had a vision. He distinctly saw an angel of God, who came to him and said, “Cornelius!”

4 Cornelius stared at him in fear. “What is it, Lord?” he asked.

The angel answered, “Your prayers and gifts to the poor have come up as a memorial offering before God.

I still remain the son of the TRUTH.

First Published: 26th July 2020

Church @ www.freenationchurch.org

#Tithe #TithesandOfferings #Tithing #firstfruit

Cc
youngdave78
ITbomb
DWJOBScom
PROPHETmichael
GoodBoi1
fkj950ax
Tobechuckwu
Gkemz
emmyseg
Deepsky
TheMan3
Simran94
nonireel
olumike001
CaptMarvel
kolaish
Dada4me
karo93
Harrietpotter
specialmati
nwabueze1999
prophetfire
Maxwell4404
mindengrave
RepoMan007
itslinkin4005
obinoral1179
Nwaajasa
ronyman
frozen70
Anakazo22
mechanics
CalmElder
RALPHOW
olaniyiYAH
yahwehpickin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by sharone21(f): 12:36pm On Dec 19, 2021
If we are to follow the Bible as Christians, we need to give to Caesar what belongs to him and give to God what belongs to Him. Period

Let's not because of lack or stinginess begin to determine from our canal mind who receives what....Even if this is done, it should be temporary.
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by adedapodvirus001(m): 12:50pm On Dec 19, 2021
EnemyofGod22:
Jesus Christ, Angels, Satan and God doesn't exist.

Know this and have peace of mind.

Your case is like a software saying programmers does not exist.
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by tnerro1(m): 12:54pm On Dec 19, 2021
Northern beggars, yes
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by temielects(m): 12:57pm On Dec 19, 2021
chatinent:
I think the main person who needs to be given anything is the beggar rather than the other rich beggar who uses subtle means to extort it from you with the threat of you roasting in hell fire as a spirit when you die.

Do not pastors tell you to ask God for protection and guidance while they themselves use security personnel after your tithes and offerings have accumulated billions upon billions for them?

You give your tithes and offerings in secret but they tweet their giveback to the world...that is if they even give because last time I checked, they tell you to pray to God for your needs.

They are always telling you God told them to do this and do that...however, every pastor says different things “from God.”

They preach prosperity! Jesus preached God's Kingdom.

Before you intend arguing with me, explain to me what rashidi yekeni yamaha Kawa totoyota susuki means.

With the number of churches in Nigeria alone, one would think it is the most peaceful region. You can see up to twelve different churches in a two storey in Nigeria shouting differently and you are wondering why they will not tell you it is God that called them? Simply! You are vulnerable to be deceived when you hear God! The format has enriched many billionaires of the world!

You will see them hampering on offering from the “old testament” yet leaving Paul's account on voluntary giving?

Brothers,

They give you what you want to hear: miracles magic, fake testimonies, and “God says” since it brings quick responses.

Some of their fleet of cars, and private jets can feed the whole country for years. I mean three-square meals.

Ever wondered why every pastor you can think of is a billionaire? Simple! You pray to God for money and give to them who thank God for bringing people like you!

You, yes you, you respect your pastor even more than the God you claim to serve. The only respect you have for him is writing the “G” in capital letters!

I promise you, I won't respond to you.
shut up if you have nothing reasonable to offer..you see twelve churches in a two storey building but blind to the beer parlours and the brothel that has absolutely nothing good to offer the society aside from violence and immorality watch your tongue bro..its a question and not a platform to outburst in your hate for Christianity and the obedience servant of God..just shut up!
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by princewarri1985: 1:03pm On Dec 19, 2021
Give beggers and orphanage homes your tithe and see how God will bless you, because they deserve the money more than the churches, taking your tithe to all these rich churches is like adding your 10 naira to their billions, and thats the fact because the truth they say is bitter! Be wise

1 Like

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by mohims(m): 1:03pm On Dec 19, 2021
Dada4me:

The sense you apply to God's words and commands is what hinders you from simple obedience to His words, because most times, it does not make sense to you.

Be like Peter, he has applied the best techniques at the best time in fishing yet did not get fishes. Jesus told him to cast his net into the sea and said, 'we have toiled in the night which is the best time yet could not get anything, but at your word I will do it and he got more than he needed.

Until we stop applying our little sense to God's word, we would continue to criticise instead of participating for great harvest.
People like you are part of the problem we have in this world. I am not a child, I probably know the Bible better than you do. No idiot can use to the word of God to con me. I cannot be brainwashed anymore. The person who gives his or her tithe to the needy has more reward than the one who gives it to his pastor. Let me use the frogged eyes man in Canaanland as an example. I remember some years ago when Forbes magazine estimated him to be worth about $150 million dollars. The following week the useless so called Bishop came out and said it was an insult for forbes to estimate his worth to be around $150 million that he's worth 10 times that figure. Is that what a man of God should be saying? He owns at least 3 private jets meanwhile there are people in his church who cannot afford to eat three square meals. His university is only for the rich. When he increased school fees and people complained, he said it was God that instructed him to increase it. Even during the covid 19 lockdown, he had to devise a means of milking people dry even in the face of hardships, people lost their jobs and all the idiot could do was create a ussd code for people to be paying their tithes and offerings. That's pathetic. You better wake up to reality and stop fooling yourself. As long as you show an act of kindness. It must not be by giving your tithe to Church. Even the late TB said you can give your tithe to the poor and needy. You must not give it to the pastor. No wonder the likes of Oyedepo hated him a much. He wasn't as greedy as them. Try and borrow sense please

1 Like

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by JLM(f): 1:08pm On Dec 19, 2021
It's amazing how people focus so much on tithe. No one ever asks " can I give my school fees to a bigger", or can I give "my money for surgery to a bigger" or even can i give my money for "owambe asoebi" to a bigger. I have never seen anyone asking "can I give my money for coldstone ice cream " to a bigger.

Giving that "10 percent" for Gods work is sooo so painful to us. So very difficult. With the whole 90 percent we have left, it's soooo harddd, so we try to use all means to justify our greed and make it seem like giving for God's work is scam.

Please give your tithes to the beggers, to the sick to the hungry and let us all rest bikonu! We are tired of this over flogged issue of tithing and people trying to push their guilt to church.

Yes some churches may be proven scam and robbing people, but trying to guilt trip God s work by forming you are better for giving your "tithe" to the poor, doesn't make you any better!!!

As long as you do not give your money for domino's pizza, coldstone ice cream, bone straight, Rolls-Royce, asoebi, owambe gbedu, nightclub to the "beggers, and the poor" then note that you have no right at all to guilt trip any church or God's work or serve as judge!
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by doublecross(m): 1:08pm On Dec 19, 2021
It is right! Pastors are scam!

3 Likes

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by mohims(m): 1:10pm On Dec 19, 2021
doublecross:
It is right! Pastors are scam!
Better scam sef. Na God go punish them on the last day

1 Like

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by Saig: 1:11pm On Dec 19, 2021
pointblank247:
Na waa for people ooo.
Why didn't you use your children school fee to give the guy and then tell the school that you gave to a worthier course.
When you are qualified to pay tithe,you will know
This analogy is wrong and does not fit into this context if you properly understand what tithing and giving to God. God does not take directly from us, He doesn't need that money. It used for the purpose of putting it where it is needed for the benefit of man to His glory.

Besides, tithing is NOT for Christians. Christians are to give liberally as God has blessed them, not compulsorily 1/10. Tithing is NOT for Christians. It was COMMANDED FOR THE JEWS
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by mohims(m): 1:11pm On Dec 19, 2021
princewarri1985:
Give beggers and orphanage homes your tithe and see how God will bless you, because they deserve the money more than the churches, taking your tithe to all these rich churches is like adding your 10 naira to their billions, and thats the fact because the truth they say is bitter! Be wise
God bless you for this. You are very wise
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by Remman(m): 1:12pm On Dec 19, 2021
helinues:
Can't really remember the last time I stepped on church not to talk about giving tithes.

I give my money to those who truly deserved it. Mostly unknown people like beggars and those who are desperately in need
i am desperately in need of 20k right now o. Like seriously. But if you no get no worry.
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by mohims(m): 1:13pm On Dec 19, 2021
Youngzedd:
TITHING DEMYSTIFIED

This is a controversial topic in Christianity, and I will do my very best to break it down with scriptures in a layman's understanding.

To me, this is A - Z of tithing. Everything you need to know about tithing has been written down here. Not just that, this post covers the new covenant. I will segment this post into two sections, the OLD COVENANT and NEW COVENANT for better understanding.

OLD COVENANT

There are 3 types of tithing.

1) Tithe of the feast: This tithe is for your consumption and you do it every first and second year.
Deuteronomy 14:22-26 explains it all.

Deuteronomy 14:22-26
[22]“You must set aside a tithe of your crops—one-tenth of all the crops you harvest each year.
[23]Bring this tithe to the designated place of worship—the place the lord your God chooses for his name to be honored—and eat it there in his presence. This applies to your tithes of grain, new wine, olive oil, and the firstborn males of your flocks and herds. Doing this will teach you always to fear the lord your God.
[24]“Now when the lord your God blesses you with a good harvest, the place of worship he chooses for his name to be honored might be too far for you to bring the tithe.
[25]If so, you may sell the tithe portion of your crops and herds, put the money in a pouch, and go to the place the lord your God has chosen.
[26]When you arrive, you may use the money to buy any kind of food you want—cattle, sheep, goats, wine, or other alcoholic drink. Then feast there in the presence of the lord your God and celebrate with your household.

2) Levitcal tithe: This tithe is what you give to the Levite (only to the descendants of Jacob’s son Levi) in the third year after you have eaten your tithe in the first and second year.

Deuteronomy 14:28-29, Deuteronomy 26:12 and Numbers 18:21- 24 explains it all.

[29]Give it to the Levites, who will receive no allotment of land among you, as well as to the foreigners living among you, the orphans, and the widows in your towns, so they can eat and be satisfied. Then the lord your God will bless you in all your work.

Deuteronomy 26:12
[12]“Every third year you must offer a special tithe of your crops. In this year of the special tithe you must give your tithes to the Levites, foreigners, orphans, and widows, so that they will have enough to eat in your towns.

Numbers 18:21-24
[21]As for the tribe of Levi, your relatives, I will compensate them for their service in the Tabernacle. Instead of an allotment of land, I will give them the tithes from the entire land of Israel.
[22]“From now on, no Israelites except priests or Levites may approach the Tabernacle. If they come too near, they will be judged guilty and will die.
[23]Only the Levites may serve at the Tabernacle, and they will be held responsible for any offenses against it. This is a permanent law for you, to be observed from generation to generation. The Levites will receive no allotment of land among the Israelites,
[24]because I have given them the Israelites’ tithes, which have been presented as sacred offerings to the lord. This will be the Levites’ share. That is why I said they would receive no allotment of land among the Israelites.”

The strict condition here is that you must be the bloodline of Levi to collect this type of tithe. No body else on earth is qualified to collect this tithe apart from those who have the blood of Jacob's son Levi running through their veins. Any other person who collect this is either a crimlnal or ignorant.

3) Tithe to the needy: In the third year after you have previously eaten your tithe in the first and second year, you're to give the tithe of the third year to the foreigners, the fatherless and the widows. Deuteronomy 14:28-29 explains it all.

[29]Give it to the Levites, who will receive no allotment of land among you, *as well as to the foreigners living among you, the orphans, and the widows* in your towns, so they can eat and be satisfied. Then the lord your God will bless you in all your work.

Levitcal tithe and tithe to the poor is for the third (3rd) year, that's to say, you share it between the Levites, foreigners, orphans and widows. It is only meant for this four set of people.

What about Malachi 3:8-10?

Well, from one perspective, it seems God was talking to only the Levites if you read Malachi from chapter 2 down to chapter 3, but from another perspective, it look like it's for both Levites and Isrealites.

THE STORE HOUSE

The Levites were to take out 10% of the tithe they collect from the Israelites and keep in the store house, Numbers 18:25 - 29 explains it, but they stopped doing it and started making smart move and God was angry with them.

Numbers 18:25-29
[25]The lord also told Moses,
[26]“Give these instructions to the Levites: When you receive from the people of Israel the tithes I have assigned as your allotment, give a tenth of the tithes you receive—a tithe of the tithe—to the lord as a sacred offering.
[27]The lord will consider this offering to be your harvest offering, as though it were the first grain from your own threshing floor or wine from your own winepress.
[28]You must present one-tenth of the tithe received from the Israelites as a sacred offering to the lord. This is the lord’s sacred portion, and you must present it to Aaron the priest.
[29]Be sure to give to the lord the best portions of the gifts given to you.

They were misbehaving with the tithes they collected, the book of Nehemiah 13:4 -13 explains it.

Nehemiah 13:4-13
[4]Before this had happened, Eliashib the priest, who had been appointed as supervisor of the storerooms of the Temple of our God and who was also a relative of Tobiah,
[5]had converted a large storage room and placed it at Tobiah’s disposal. The room had previously been used for storing the grain offerings, the frankincense, various articles for the Temple, and the tithes of grain, new wine, and olive oil (which were prescribed for the Levites, the singers, and the gatekeepers), as well as the offerings for the priests.
[6]I was not in Jerusalem at that time, for I had returned to King Artaxerxes of Babylon in the thirty-second year of his reign, though I later asked his permission to return.
[7]When I arrived back in Jerusalem, I learned about Eliashib’s evil deed in providing Tobiah with a room in the courtyards of the Temple of God.
[8]I became very upset and threw all of Tobiah’s belongings out of the room.
[9]Then I demanded that the rooms be purified, and I brought back the articles for God’s Temple, the grain offerings, and the frankincense.
[10]I also discovered that the Levites had not been given their prescribed portions of food, so they and the singers who were to conduct the worship services had all returned to work their fields.
[11]I immediately confronted the leaders and demanded, “Why has the Temple of God been neglected?” Then I called all the Levites back again and restored them to their proper duties.
[12]And once more all the people of Judah began bringing their tithes of grain, new wine, and olive oil to the Temple storerooms.
[13]I assigned supervisors for the storerooms: Shelemiah the priest, Zadok the scribe, and Pedaiah, one of the Levites. And I appointed Hanan son of Zaccur and grandson of Mattaniah as their assistant. These men had an excellent reputation, and it was their job to make honest distributions to their fellow Levites.

Did you notice that the singers (choir members) were beneficiaries of the tithe as stated in Nehemiah 13:4-13? Well, we are not ready for this discussion.

The curses Malachi 3:8-12 was talking about are found in Nehemiah 10 :28-39.

It was a curse the Israelites laid on themselves if they disobey any of the laws.

Nehemiah 10:28-39
[28]Then the rest of the people—the priests, Levites, gatekeepers, singers, Temple servants, and all who had separated themselves from the pagan people of the land in order to obey the Law of God, together with their wives, sons, daughters, and all who were old enough to understand—
[29]joined their leaders and bound themselves with an oath. They swore a curse on themselves if they failed to obey the Law of God as issued by his servant Moses. They solemnly promised to carefully follow all the commands, regulations, and decrees of the lord our Lord:
[30]“We promise not to let our daughters marry the pagan people of the land, and not to let our sons marry their daughters.
[31]“We also promise that if the people of the land should bring any merchandise or grain to be sold on the Sabbath or on any other holy day, we will refuse to buy it. Every seventh year we will let our land rest, and we will cancel all debts owed to us.
[32]“In addition, we promise to obey the command to pay the annual Temple tax of one-eighth of an ounce of silver for the care of the Temple of our God.
[33]This will provide for the Bread of the Presence; for the regular grain offerings and burnt offerings; for the offerings on the Sabbaths, the new moon celebrations, and the annual festivals; for the holy offerings; and for the sin offerings to make atonement for Israel. It will provide for everything necessary for the work of the Temple of our God.
[34]“We have cast sacred lots to determine when—at regular times each year—the families of the priests, Levites, and the common people should bring wood to God’s Temple to be burned on the altar of the lord our God, as is written in the Law.
[35]“We promise to bring the first part of every harvest to the lord’s Temple year after year—whether it be a crop from the soil or from our fruit trees.
[36]We agree to give God our oldest sons and the firstborn of all our herds and flocks, as prescribed in the Law. We will present them to the priests who minister in the Temple of our God.
[37]We will store the produce in the storerooms of the Temple of our God. We will bring the best of our flour and other grain offerings, the best of our fruit, and the best of our new wine and olive oil. And we promise to bring to the Levites a tenth of everything our land produces, for it is the Levites who collect the tithes in all our rural towns.
[38]“A priest—a descendant of Aaron—will be with the Levites as they receive these tithes. And a tenth of all that is collected as tithes will be delivered by the Levites to the Temple of our God and placed in the storerooms.
[39]The people and the Levites must bring these offerings of grain, new wine, and olive oil to the storerooms and place them in the sacred containers near the ministering priests, the gatekeepers, and the singers.“We promise together not to neglect the Temple of our God.”

The big question is, Africans getting scared because of Malachi 3:8-12, were their ancestors among those that made the vows?

NEW COVENANT

In the new covenant, you as a believer is the church (house of Yahweh/God) not a building (2 Corinthians 5:1, Acts 17:24, Acts 7:48, Matthew 24:1-2 and John 4:21-24) and a priest while Yeshua (Christ) is the high priest (Read Hebrew 7).

Because you as a believer is the church, there's no physical store house or temple, you are now the spiritual temple God dwell in, if you are the temple they use to bring their tithes to, then it's you that will consume the tithe not a Pastor or Priest.

In the entire new testament, there's no place Christ or the believers preached, received or collected tithe. Think for a minute, if the new testament is the Christian manual, why is tithing not there and what does that tell you?

C'mon, tithing and first fruit have no place in Christianity. It is what it is.

Tithing is excepting yourself from the sacrifice of Christ on the cross.

In the new covenant, the law was fulfilled by Christ and we are no longer under the law. After resurrection of Christ, the law became weak and useless as seen in the Hebrew 7:8-19.

Hebrews 7:18-19
18 The former regulation is set aside because it was weak and useless 19 (for the law made nothing perfect), and a better hope is introduced, by which we draw near to God.

Galatians 3:19-20
Why, then, was the law given at all? It was added because of transgressions until the Seed to whom the promise referred had come. The law was given through angels and entrusted to a mediator. 20 A mediator,however, implies more than one party; but God is one.

* Christ is the seed been referred to here.

Colossians 2:17
These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.
The 613 laws are shadows until Christ came. Christ fulfilled the law, done and dusted, chapter closed forever. That's why it's now weak and useless.

Hebrews 7:12
For when the priesthood is changed, the law must be changed also.
Hebrew 8 vs 13
"By calling this covenant “new,” he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and outdated will soon disappear."

Romans 7:6
But now, by dying to what once bound us, we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code.

Galatians 3:10
For all who rely on the works of the law are under a curse, as it is written: “Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law.”

* If you're to obey the laws in the old testament to be right with God, you're to obey ALL the 613 laws otherwise you're under a curse. Tithing to fulfil what's written in the book of law attracts a curse. Stop tithing, you're bringing a curse to yourself.

James 2:10
For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.

Galatians 2:21
I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!”

Galatians 5:1,4
[1]So Christ has truly set us free. Now make sure that you stay free, and don’t get tied up again in slavery to the law.
[4]For if you are trying to make yourselves right with God by keeping the law, you have been cut off from Christ! You have fallen away from God’s grace.

Hebrews 10:9-10
9 Then he said, “Here I am, I have come to do your will.” He sets aside the first to establish the second. 10 And by that will, we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Christ once for all.

He set aside OLD COVENANT found in the old testament to establish the NEW COVENANT found in the new testament.

2 Corinthians 3:6
He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant—not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.
* The letter here is the old covenants (laws) while the spirit is the new covenant. Read the whole chapter for better understanding.

Please brothers and sisters, do yourself a favour and read the whole of 2 Corinthians 3. Verse 14 "But their minds were made dull, for to this day the same veil remains when the old covenant is read. It has not been removed, because only in Christ is it taken away." is exactly what is happening in Christianity today. The minds of many were made dull.

Never allow any man born of flesh push you to do the things that are now weak and useless.
If Christ and the early Christians didn't do it, I tell you today, don't do it no matter the pressure.

The new testament scriptures are Christian manual, anything not found there shouldn't be a doctrine.

Paying tithe and giving first fruit is excepting yourself from the finished work of Christ as Galatians 2:21 and Galatians 5:1,4 tells us.

But Abram (Abraham) paid tithe before the law bla bla.

If you must do what Abram did, be ready to return 90% to where you got it from. Yeah! Return the 90% of your salary to your employer. Abram returned his own, so shall you.

Genesis 14:21-23
21 The king of Sodom said to Abram, “Give me the people and keep the goods for yourself.”

22 But Abram said to the king of Sodom, “With raised hand I have sworn an oath to the Lord, God Most High, Creator of heaven and earth, 23 that I will accept nothing belonging to you, not even a thread or the strap of a sandal, so that you will never be able to say, ‘I made Abram rich.’

Mind you, Abram (later Abraham) paid tithe from the spoils of war, not crops he got from his farm or money from his reserve.

Never forget the book of 2 Corinthians 9:7 is the Christian standard of giving.

2 Corinthians 9:7
Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

You are free to give 10%, 50% even 100% but, NEVER you call it tithe or first fruit because Christians have no business with the mosaic laws.

Remember the below:

James 1:27
Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

Acts 10:1-4
1 At Caesarea there was a man named Cornelius, a centurion in what was known as the Italian Regiment. 2 He and all his family were devout and God-fearing; he gave generously to those in need and prayed to God regularly. 3 One day at about three in the afternoon he had a vision. He distinctly saw an angel of God, who came to him and said, “Cornelius!”

4 Cornelius stared at him in fear. “What is it, Lord?” he asked.

The angel answered, “Your prayers and gifts to the poor have come up as a memorial offering before God.

I still remain the son of the TRUTH.

First Published: 26th July 2020

Church @ www.freenationchurch.org

#Tithe #TithesandOfferings #Tithing #firstfruit

Cc
youngdave78
ITbomb
DWJOBScom
PROPHETmichael
GoodBoi1
fkj950ax
Tobechuckwu
Gkemz
emmyseg
Deepsky
TheMan3
Simran94
nonireel
olumike001
CaptMarvel
kolaish
Dada4me
karo93
Harrietpotter
specialmati
nwabueze1999
prophetfire
Maxwell4404
mindengrave
RepoMan007
itslinkin4005
obinoral1179
Nwaajasa
ronyman
frozen70
Anakazo22
mechanics
CalmElder
God bless you for this.
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by mohims(m): 1:15pm On Dec 19, 2021
Anakazo22:

Tithing is not old testament. Abraham paid tithe and he was not under the mosaic law. Tithing is a spiritual law and it has nothing to do with Grace or law . Don't be deceive.
I pray for you to receive sense. You have been brainwashed.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by mohims(m): 1:17pm On Dec 19, 2021
jpmoriarti:
So people still pay tithe in 2021, with all the available evidence that it is the law of Moses, which we're no longer under. Obeying the law of Moses as a Christian, carries a curse. (Galatians 3:10)

Christ never collected tithe. He never asked his disciple to collect it. Tithing is the law. If you obey the law, then Christ is no longer of any benefit to you (Galatians 5:4)
Some people will never have sense. Me I don wise up
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by Nobody: 1:17pm On Dec 19, 2021
ITbomb:
Very wrong
Tithe is specifically for the upkeep of the Temple or Church in this case (and people working in there)
That doesn't mean you should not help the beggar if you have any other money

Which scripture is this? Chapter what, verses what to what?
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by mohims(m): 1:18pm On Dec 19, 2021
ITbomb:
Very wrong
Tithe is specifically for the upkeep of the Temple or Church in this case (and people working in there)
That doesn't mean you should not help the beggar if you have any other money
Lies from the pit of hell. You have been brainwashed. I pray for you to receive sense
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes by mohims(m): 1:20pm On Dec 19, 2021
fkj950ax:
If you give a beggar, it's not tithe any longer

The Bible never asked for a tenth of your income to be given to a beggar.

You just gave a benevolence offering to someone in need. Your tithe will still be outstanding
Hahahaha you have obviously been brainwashed. I pray for you to receive sense. Tithe is in the old testament. Kindly show me where Jesus talked about it. Stop being foolish please

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Did Jesus Die for Our Sin? Which Sin? Ifeann Should Please Come In / NAKED CHURCH UNVEILED, Opens Branches In Abuja, Lagos, P/harcourt / Why Is It That People Remember God When In Trouble?

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 145
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.