Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,273 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:14 AM

Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc (12658 Views)

Emir Sanusi Replies Diezani Allison-Madueke / Dieziani Allison-Madueke Visits Abdulsalami Abubakar In Minna (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by iragbijile: 5:23am On Jun 27, 2011
Diezani Allison Madueke skipped NYSC
By Elor Nkereuwem
June 27, 2011 05:16AM
print email

If President Goodluck Jonathan proceeds to nominate former petroleum minister, Diezani Allison-Madueke, to his incoming cabinet, one question she might answer during her confirmation hearing is why she failed to sign up for the compulsory National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) programme after her graduation from the university.

Under Nigerian law, fresh graduates under the age of 30 must sign up for a year of national service in a part of the country different from their places of origin. The service year serves as a demonstration of patriotism to the Nigerian state. No one who skipped the compulsory national service, barring any exception, clearly stated in the law, may receive employment in Nigeria.

Mrs Allison-Madueke graduated in 1987 at the age of 27, with a degree in Architecture from Howard University in the United States. Since then, she has worked in the US and Nigeria, refusing to give a year of her working life to the Nigerian state as required of all graduate citizens. There is also no indication that Mrs Allison-Madueke got an exemption from the programme.

With speculations making the round that she might be returning to her former job in President Jonathan’s defunct cabinet, activists and lawyers are insisting that Mrs Alison-Madueke, had, by her action, contravened some provisions of the NYSC decree and had committed a criminal offense which could earn her a year in jail, a fine, or both. They are also contending that with her unpatriotic conduct, she has no moral right to occupy any public office in Nigeria or be cabinet minister.

“In my view, such a person is not legally and morally worthy to be appointed a minister of the Federal Republic of Nigeria,” Bamidele Aturu, a Lagos based human rights attorney said.

“I recommend to the Senate not to clear any nominee for ministerial appointment, who has skipped the NYSC, bearing in mind that ministers should stand on a higher moral ground and be above board,” added Carol Ajie, an Abuja-based lawyer.

Olorunimbe Mamora, a senator, who represented Lagos East Senatorial District in the last National Assembly, admitted that previous senate endorsement of Mrs Allison-Madueke’s appointment would be a grave error if it was eventually established that she indeed skipped her national service.

“It probably happened in error. The senate would not deliberately take an action that is not in tandem with the constitution or that is wrong in the process of the confirmation hearing,” Mr Mamora said in a telephone interview. He wondered why security checks routinely done on all nominees for top political offices failed to reveal that the former minister did not carry out her national service.

The minister did not serve

Upon graduating from Howard in 1987, Mrs Allison-Madueke took up employment in a couple of American construction firms. She returned to Nigeria in 1993 but there are no records that the former minister, who has so far served in three different ministerial portfolios, signed up for the national service. On her return, Mrs Allison-Madueke joined Shell Petroleum from where she resigned in 2007 to take up her first political appointment as minister for transportation.

Mrs Allison-Madueke did not respond to phone calls or text messages seeking her comment for this story.

A criminal offence

According to Section 13 of the NYSC decree, Mrs Alison-Madueke has committed a criminal act.

“(A person) who refuses to make himself available for service in the service corps continuously for the period specified in subsection (2) of this section, is guilty of an offence and liable on conviction to a fine of N2,OOO or to imprisonment for a term of 12 months or to both,” the Act states.

Spokesperson to the NYSC, who simply identified herself as Mrs Ani, directed enquiries on the matter at the Corp’s director general, Maharazu Tsiga, who could not be reached for comments.

But she explained that the youth service was compulsory for all graduates below 30 years of age, adding that the federal government has to take the lead role in prosecuting defaulters.

“If they are Nigerian graduates, then it is compulsory for them to serve provided they graduated before the age of 30. Why don’t you talk to my DG,” Mrs Ani said.

Saying the state should prosecute the former minister; Mr Aturu argued that President Jonathan is responsible for his nominations.

“The problem now is with the president who appointed the person. Who do you blame? It is the person who appointed him/her. Should you appoint a person who has committed a criminal offense?” Mr Aturu asked.
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by iragbijile: 5:23am On Jun 27, 2011
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by Musiwa42: 5:31am On Jun 27, 2011
that why I said cancel this NYSC program. exemption are only allowed if the person is above the age of 30.
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by iragbijile: 5:34am On Jun 27, 2011
^^^

Egbon, did you do NYSC?
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by Musiwa42: 5:38am On Jun 27, 2011
yes, i did my nysc in adamawa state. at savannah sugar company numan.
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by iragbijile: 5:42am On Jun 27, 2011
^^^

Is that in Mubi?

I did mine in Mubi.
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by calid16: 7:15am On Jun 27, 2011
What a pity, hope they can find a way round this problem.
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by ektbear: 8:05am On Jun 27, 2011
How did she get employment at Shell w/o the youth service?
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by Nobody: 8:08am On Jun 27, 2011
ekt_bear:

How did she get employment at Shell w/o the youth service?

What kind of question is this?
She's got connection and money to buy her way in. Anything can be bought in Naija.
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by ektbear: 8:11am On Jun 27, 2011
But there must have been some document forgery of some sort, no? That is the real point I'm making.
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by kodewrita(m): 8:18am On Jun 27, 2011
We can all read I assume. She graduated at 27 and returned in 1993 when she was already 33. The crime is that she supposedly did not get an exemption. Fact is that she was no longer eligible as at the time she returned.

Document forgery doesnt apply. She may have been employed as expatriate nigerian. You do not know the terms of her contract and as such cannot comment on such.

Fact is that she would most likely pay a fine and thats the end of it.

1 Like

Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by ektbear: 8:26am On Jun 27, 2011

Under Nigerian law, fresh graduates under the age of 30 must sign up for a year of national service in a part of the country different from their places of origin. The service year serves as a demonstration of patriotism to the Nigerian state. No one who skipped the compulsory national service, barring any exception, clearly stated in the law, may receive employment in Nigeria.

At least on paper, that sounds like it leaves very little room for exceptions, no?

By "expatriate Nigerian", you mean as a citizen of another country, yes? Not completely clear to me that she could have become an American citizen in that time period. . . . probably attended Howard on a F-1 Visa. Leaving only 6 years for permanent residency (5 year process) and citizenship. So I doubt she is American. Perhaps she aquired British citizenship and was employed by Shell through that?

Anyway, Next (or someone else) should investigate and report their findings.
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by ektbear: 8:28am On Jun 27, 2011
Anyway, if all the stuff she did to work at Shell is above board, then I'll probably skip my youth service too and get it sorted out later. I wasn't too keen on donating a year of below-market labor anyways
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by Seun(m): 8:42am On Jun 27, 2011
She skipped a year of bad rubbish and was able to move forward in life. Good for her! Let's emulate her.

1 Like

Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by muami(m): 8:48am On Jun 27, 2011
Seun:

She skipped a year of bad rubbish and was able to move forward in life. Good for her! Let's emulate her.

Well said! I think she deserves an award for not wasting one year on NYSC but rather spending it more producti
vely.
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by ektbear: 8:57am On Jun 27, 2011
Question is, is it really this easy to skip youth service and pay no penalties (not even just the chicken change fee they charge, but the limited life and career opportunities)?

Petroleum Minister is a pretty plum job, one of the most powerful positions in Nigeria.

If so, you can be damned sure I won't do it
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by Nobody: 9:08am On Jun 27, 2011
I think she didnt see prospects in working in nigeria upon graduation, so to her what was the need for the slave service for a year. When she came back at 33years money and connections got her shell so she never bothered but trust nigerians and bad belle. What sss could not find they were sure to fish it out. Lets hope nysc prepares a sharp sharp excemption letter for backdating it. She really is a goodd person with bright brains. I kind off like her leadership styles. Anyway the fine of 2000 wldnt hurt her sha
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by hardywaltz(m): 9:18am On Jun 27, 2011
Funny many people on NL can't read, the law clearly states that all graduates who graduated B4 the age of 30years are eligible, which means when she got back @ the age of 33 she was very much eligible coz she graduated @ the age of 27. If u have been through NYSC u will know that very well coz women who graduate below 30 come back several years later (after several kids) to do their service.

1 Like

Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by Bensonite: 9:21am On Jun 27, 2011
teeo:

I think she didnt see prospects in working in nigeria upon graduation, so to her what was the need for the slave service for a year. When she came back at 33years money and connections got her shell so she never bothered but trust nigerians and bad belle. What sss could not find they were sure to fish it out. Lets hope nysc prepares a sharp sharp excemption letter for backdating it. She really is a goodd person with bright brains. I kind off like her leadership styles. Anyway the fine of 2000 wldnt hurt her sha
Well said. At bolded only if the case is not charged to court then she can pay the chicken change x million times that.
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by geosegun(m): 9:25am On Jun 27, 2011
ekt_bear:

Anyway, if all the stuff she did to work at Shell is above board, then I'll probably skip my youth service too and get it sorted out later. I wasn't too keen on donating a year of below-market labor anyways

@SEUN

I AM COMPLETELY DISSAPOINTED AT WHAT YOU SAID. HE/SHE WHO DOES NOT SEE IT WORTHY TO SERVE HIS/HER FATHER LAND WHEN THINGS WERE NOT ROSY SHOULD NOT BE GIVEN A JUICY APPOINTMENT AT ANY POINT IN TIME. IF PROVED GUILTY, SHE MUST BE RELIEVED OF HER APPOINTMENT IMMEDIATELY.  cool cool cool
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by koyaabj: 9:28am On Jun 27, 2011
let  her serve her NYSC programm as a minister, one year with NYSC stipend without any perk of office, community development as cleaner at area 1, after which she can continue as a minister, what do u think, grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by kcjazz(m): 9:29am On Jun 27, 2011
Haha, How did the same Senate approve her the last time? Are they now saying they didn't do due diligence? See how this folks waste our time smh

They should stop talking lack of patriotism and NYSC, how many Senators have an NYSC?
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by 190: 9:30am On Jun 27, 2011
Damnniit, I should have skipped school completely as well
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by shadows4(m): 9:32am On Jun 27, 2011
May be she would have been dead long ago like the innocent one's we lost recently, if you ask me; i will skip that wasteful one year at every given opportunity period because it's not worth it. angry
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by geosegun(m): 9:34am On Jun 27, 2011
muami:

Well said! I think she deserves an award for not wasting one year on NYSC but rather spending it more producti
vely.

BAD STATEMENT; SINCE SHE BELIEVED SERVING HER FATHERLAND FOR A YEAR IS A WASTE OF TIME, THEN SERVING HER FATHERLAND WHEN THINGS ARE ROSY IN A JUICY PARASTALTAL SUCH AS PETROLEUM MINISTRY IS  UNPATRIOTIC AND SELF-CENTREDNESS. SHE CANT EAT HER CAKE AND HAVE IT.

THOSE (WHO SERVED HONOURABLY)  DESPITE ALL THE DANGERS ATTACHED TO IT,  ARE NO FOOLS AND SHOULD BE GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY TO GAIN IT BACK WITH YRS OF JUICY APPOINTMENTS.
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by geosegun(m): 9:37am On Jun 27, 2011
koyaabj:

let  her serve her NYSC programm as a minister, one year with NYSC stipend without any perk of office, community development as cleaner at area 1, after which she can continue as a minister, what do u think, grin grin grin grin grin

SECONDED cool grin cool cool
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by dustydee: 9:41am On Jun 27, 2011
I don't know the law concerning NYSC but I'm told that if you graduate before 30 you are eligible and that's why you see 40 year olds serving. Doctors and lawyers are alllowed to serve as long as they graduated before 30 before going to law school or for house job.
geosegun:

@SEUN

I AM COMPLETELY DISSAPOINTED AT WHAT YOU SAID. HE/SHE WHO DOES NOT SEE IT WORTHY TO SERVE HIS/HER FATHER LAND WHEN THINGS WERE NOT ROSY SHOULD NOT BE GIVEN A JUICY APPOINTMENT AT ANY POINT IN TIME. IF PROVED GUILTY, SHE MUST[b] BE RELIEVED OF HER APPOINTMENT IMMEDIATELY.[/b]  cool cool cool
Which appointment
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by laoak2: 9:41am On Jun 27, 2011
I guess some people are being paid to do dirty job on naira land, she might have done something bad by not observing the compulsory NYSC , looking at it from the light of today,  she might have been killed or got involved in a bomb blast, i feel , she has done more worthy work than the stupid NYSC. Even Salisu Buhari did not go to jail for fake result.
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by kcjazz(m): 9:47am On Jun 27, 2011
geosegun:

BAD STATEMENT; SINCE SHE BELIEVED SERVING HER FATHERLAND FOR A YEAR IS A WASTE OF TIME, THEN SERVING HER FATHERLAND WHEN THINGS ARE ROSY IN A JUICY PARASTALTAL SUCH AS PETROLEUM MINISTRY IS  UNPATRIOTIC AND SELF-CENTREDNESS. SHE CANT EAT HER CAKE AND HAVE IT.

THOSE (WHO SERVED HONOURABLY)  DESPITE ALL THE DANGERS ATTACHED TO IT,  ARE NO FOOLS AND SHOULD BE GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY TO GAIN IT BACK WITH YRS OF JUICY APPOINTMENTS.

You are joking right?
This is 1993 we talking about, she could have stayed in Howard or USA but she chose to relocate to Nigeria under a military government to work. NYSC is good but chill, it is all this patriotism "hot blood" that makes soldiers act like animals. She left obodo oyibo to serve her country in a different capacity and it paid off cos now she is a minister, a good growth if you ask me.

We have folks in the Senate who never went to school talk less of graduate and they are senators.
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by Tonyfrom: 9:53am On Jun 27, 2011
Omo this story sweet die,MEN don go bring out the SKELETON wey dey MRS ALLISON MADUEKES CUPBOARD out, 9ija men ,me dey fear una
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by oluwabamis(m): 10:11am On Jun 27, 2011
let her get a fresh posting and serve her own portion of the Suffering
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by FlyboyZee: 10:17am On Jun 27, 2011
kcjazz:

You are joking right?
This is 1993 we talking about, she could have stayed in Howard or USA but she chose to relocate to Nigeria under a military government to work. NYSC is good but chill, it is all this patriotism "hot blood" that makes soldiers act like animals. She left obodo oyibo to serve her country in a different capacity and it paid off cos now she is a minister, a good growth if you ask me.

We have folks in the Senate who never went to school talk less of graduate and they are senators.
Shut up! Her father was the only Nigerian resident with Oyinbo people in the prestigious Shell Residential area in Port Harcourt then. So what are we saying? She's always been priviledged and as such sees the compulsory NYSC service as being meant only for the poor. Her dad had all the money and connections to get her a service placement in any place she would have wanted to serve then, yet she defaulted. abeg make them arrest her jo, she is just a common criminal.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Akpabio Bags Best Governor In Africa Award / PDP Will Win The Elections- Wike / "Nigeria's Journey Under Me Very Turbulent" - President Buhari Says

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.