Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,172 members, 7,821,977 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:18 PM

Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc (12676 Views)

Emir Sanusi Replies Diezani Allison-Madueke / Dieziani Allison-Madueke Visits Abdulsalami Abubakar In Minna (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by Marlboro1: 2:30pm On Jun 27, 2011
Meandsum is right. If she graduated overseas but did not return until after the age of 30, why does she have to do the service? Mind you I am not a big fan of hers. I am not sure why someone with a degree in Architecture will be heading the oil and gas industry. Case of square peg and a round hole
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by ZnO: 2:33pm On Jun 27, 2011
F-uck NYSC!!!! Even though I served (something that I regret now). Who wants to be butchered in the North?

And for those who say the US Green Card is compulsorily a 5-year process, they should educate themselves on the NIW program which takes less than 2 years (if all documentation is provided) and even less than 2 months if expedited. I got my GC in less than 18 months. Na your qualification and ability to toot your own horn to the immigration examiners.

I do not know what academic degrees the woman has, though. But with a terminal degree and subsequently establishing a scientific (or whatever) niche for yourself , your green card is just a step away. No biggie.
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by dayokanu(m): 2:50pm On Jun 27, 2011
I dey laff
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by henryhemon(m): 3:04pm On Jun 27, 2011
Since when did Nysc scheme become the basis for performance?if you choose to waste ur one year gud 4u and someone chose not to waste her time and people are crying,how we like trivails things in Nigeria.Does Nysc put food on ur table and you can also be exempted from it for other various reasons like sickness e.t.c
Most of those senators has only Ond,so what heck?
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by ektbear: 3:13pm On Jun 27, 2011
@ZnO: Indeed. It was the 5 year time period after PR before one can become a citizen which I was referring to, not 5 years for PR (dunno if the law even mandates any amount of time for the latter.)
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by 4wardever(m): 3:20pm On Jun 27, 2011
henryhemon:

Since when did Nysc scheme become the basis for performance?if you choose to waste your one year gud 4u and someone chose not to waste her time and people are crying,how we like trivails things in Nigeria.Does Nysc put food on your table and you can also be exempted from it for other various reasons like sickness e.t.c
Most of those senators has only Ond,so what heck?

Well said man. I will rather employ and pay an OND degree holder or one who attended " evening school" well for his performance as far as he knows where he is going to in life.
Mind you I am not saying that the others cannot, I am just saying that performance is what I will be looking out for.
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by ZnO: 3:23pm On Jun 27, 2011
Mrs Madueke is a two-pronged big fish:

1. She is from an oil-producing state (Bayelsa) and married to a former Chief of Naval Staff from Anambra (so she has SS and SE, as well as military support grin grin)
2. She is being groomed by the president himself, who is also from Bayelsa State

Take home message: You take her on at your own risk grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by pereze: 4:29pm On Jun 27, 2011
What better service do we expect from a Nigerian graduate who once headed two different parastatals very well? Her years as a minister is enough if you ask me. Case closed!
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by adconline(m): 4:52pm On Jun 27, 2011
How did she get employment at Shell w/o the youth service?
DID YOU NOT SEE HER LAST NAMES? It's like asking why someone with Theophilus Danjuma as last names would get hired by big oil companies.
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by vladimiros: 5:15pm On Jun 27, 2011
one reason i hate Nigeria

we call for top executives who have experinece

when we finnaly get them now is

did they do nysc?
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by Nobody: 5:41pm On Jun 27, 2011
adconline:

How did she get employment at Shell w/o the youth service?
DID YOU NOT SEE HER LAST NAMES? It's like asking why someone with Theophilus Danjuma as last names would get hired by big oil companies.

what does that have to do with nysc? shell is a private company. if you want to serve in the government, nysc is required. is it also required to work in private industry?
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by naijaking1: 6:34pm On Jun 27, 2011
Who is after this innocent lady? Any honesty minister of petroleum in Nigeria is bound to have powerful, vocal, and sometimes cyptic enemies.
So, who is after Mrs Madueke
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by Rhea(f): 7:02pm On Jun 27, 2011
[size=13pt]Decree 51 that establishes NYSC is very clear and unambiguous. As long as Diezani Allison-Madueke graduated before the age of 30, she must serve. It does not matter if she attended Unilag or Unipetrol. If she assumed public office in Nigeria before doing so, then she would have violated that law. Simple!

The criteria for her exemption from NYSC are also crystal clear:

1. If she was over 30 when she graduated, or

2. If she had served in the armed forces of the Federation or the Nigeria Police Force for a period of more than nine months, or

3. If she was a member of staff of any of the following:

(i) the Nigerian Security Organisation, or
(ii) the State Security Service, or
(iii) the National Intelligence Agency, or
(iv) the Defense Intelligence Service; or

4. If she had been conferred with any National Honour

For as along as she met none of these criteria, then she would have violated the law establishing the NYSC.

While I would also agree that she may not be the first or the only one to have 'dodged' NYSC and still gotten a job in Nigeria, we all have to realise that when you go fishing, you don't catch all the fishes that snag your line. She may be (yet) the fish to be caught. If the senate approved her appointment as a minister without asking to see her NYSC discharge or exemption certificate, then our senators must have made a meal of a very simple assignment.

[/size]
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by ZnO: 7:26pm On Jun 27, 2011
Rhea:

[size=13pt]Decree 51 that establishes NYSC is very clear and unambiguous. As long as Diezani Allison-Madueke graduated before the age of 30, she must serve. It does not matter if she attended Unilag or Unipetrol. If she assumed public office in Nigeria before doing so, then she would have violated that law. Simple!

The criteria for her exemption from NYSC are also crystal clear:

1. If she was over 30 when she graduated, or

2. If she had served in the armed forces of the Federation or the Nigeria Police Force for a period of more than nine months, or

3. If she was a member of staff of any of the following:

(i) the Nigerian Security Organisation, or
(ii) the State Security Service, or
(iii) the National Intelligence Agency, or
(iv) the Defense Intelligence Service; or

4. If she had been conferred with any National Honour

For as along as she met none of these criteria, then she would have violated the law establishing the NYSC.

While I would also agree that she may not be the first or the only one to have 'dodged' NYSC and still gotten a job in Nigeria, we all have to realise that when you go fishing, you don't catch all the fishes that snag your line. She may be (yet) the fish to be caught. If the senate approved her appointment as a minister without asking to see her NYSC discharge or exemption certificate, then our senators must have made a meal of a very simple assignment.

[/size]

Her issue is rather old. It came up during her first stint as a minister. The senators passed her because you do not need to be a graduate to be a minister. Moreover it is not a civil service position. IT IS AN APPOINTMENT. Ban NYSC now. It is a useless piece of adventure.
El Rufai, when he was minister of FCT employed two others -as his assistants- who did not undertake the NYSC and craftily placed them on contract instead of permanent civil service position. Dieziani is a big fish.
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by Outstrip(f): 7:40pm On Jun 27, 2011
This is why I get so sick of Nigeria. They want to crucify her when mostof them probably just paid for their children to get the certificate and did not put in a day. Should they not rather use this opportunity to discuss getting rid of the NYSC since all it is good for is to endanger the lives of innocent young people who are just now making their way in life. Madueke did not do a day of NYSC and still a very good representation of how we want our youth to turn out. Not burnt or hacked up on the streets on Nigeria for no reason at all. All in the name of "serving" their country
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by Nobody: 7:47pm On Jun 27, 2011
LOL @ "She is not legally and [b]morally [/b]eligible".

NYSC is a cruck of bull. If I have direction in my life and I know where I'm headed and my paths have been established, why do I now have to drop that and say I need to use 1 year of my life to sukpa large? That's 1 year I'm not getting back. 1 year I could be using to move ahead. 1 year of my life being diverted to doing something that isn't in line with my life plans.

That NYSC thing should really be reviewed.
Refusing to waste my time doing slave labor and actually making vision-fueled exploits does not make me any less a Nigerian.
Sukpa na by force?  undecided
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by ektbear: 7:54pm On Jun 27, 2011
Looks like you don't need this NYSC to be employed in Nigeria, get appointed as a minister, or even be governor, if I'm reading things correctly.

I guess I won't bother with it then. More convenient to spend that year making money anyways
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by emmke(m): 8:34pm On Jun 27, 2011
my NYSC year, though was not financially rewarding, still remains one of/if not the best year of my life. Sweet memories of it, cheesy
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by BetaThings: 8:45pm On Jun 27, 2011
Outstrip:

This is why I get so sick of Nigeria. They want to crucify her when mostof them probably just paid for their children to get the certificate and did not put in a day. Should they not rather use this opportunity to discuss getting rid of the NYSC since all it is good for is to endanger the lives of innocent young people who are just now making their way in life. Madueke did not do a day of NYSC and still a very good representation of how we want our youth to turn out. Not burnt or hacked up on the streets on Nigeria for no reason at all. All in the name of "serving" their country

Who? the same Deziani that wept at Benin-Ore road as Minister of Works (an architect) and did nothing thereafter?
I don't like using crash element, but that is the law. Is obedience of laws not the way to building a civilised society?
Since I don't really like Jonathan and the bunch at the national assembly, can I bypass the constitution and plan a coup to remove them?

BTW
emmke:

my NYSC year, though was not financially rewarding, still remains one of/if not the best year of my life. Sweet memories of it, cheesy
This is somebody
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by gohome: 8:47pm On Jun 27, 2011
ZnO:

Her issue is rather old. It came up during her first stint as a minister. The senators passed her because you do not need to be a graduate to be a minister. Moreover it is not a civil service position. IT IS AN APPOINTMENT. Ban NYSC now. It is a useless piece of adventure.
El Rufai, when he was minister of FCT employed two others -as his assistants- who did not undertake the NYSC and craftily placed them on contract instead of permanent civil service position. Dieziani is a big fish.

and yet the same senate is saying if she had gone through without NYSC, then is was an oversight. ZnO,  you sound like a young man trying to rant NYSC to its grave ( still wondering how Diezani skipping NYSC is related to banning it), oh maybe you have not serve thats why.  I perfectly understand. But like the law says, in other to hold a public office, you need NYSC. We have other qualified people that can do the job and have served. If she really wants to help this country she can still serve. After all I have seen 50yr old serving.
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by DisGuy: 8:48pm On Jun 27, 2011
ekt_bear:

Looks like you don't need this NYSC to be employed in Nigeria, get appointed as a minister, or even be governor, if I'm reading things correctly.

I guess I won't bother with it then. More convenient to spend that year making money anyways

sounding like you are gunning for a post with the govt.

I used to think NYSC is only compulsory if your looking to work in the civil service or government job
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by DisGuy: 8:52pm On Jun 27, 2011
If she were to be Northerner, i bet people wouldnt be overlooking her links with the family connections

the direction of this thread would have been about nepotism,reliogion blah blah blah
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by gohome: 8:52pm On Jun 27, 2011
Dis Guy:

I used to think NYSC is only compulsory if your looking to work in the civil service or government job

How old are you?
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by ektbear: 8:53pm On Jun 27, 2011
Dis Guy:

I think I might run for governor one day, 20-25 years from now or so. That is the only reason I had for contemplating NYSC.
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by DisGuy: 9:01pm On Jun 27, 2011
gohome:

How old are you?

give or take 50, i should be older than KnowAll younger the Ol' G Buzugee cool

You'd hear most people's main advice about NYSC goes something like: it's good in case you get an appointment or a govt job almost as if everyone wants a public sector job

ekt_bear:

I think I might run for governor one day, 20-25 years from now or so. That is the only reason I had for contemplating NYSC.

a medical report should be enough for an exemption certificate
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by DASLEEKY: 9:14pm On Jun 27, 2011
Diezani Alison-Madueke clears NYSC accusations

http://www.webwire.com/ViewPressRel.asp?aId=140268

Nigeria’s first female Minister of Petroleum Resources, Diezani Alison-Madueke (Wrongly spelled Diezani Allison-Madueke) has denied all accusations that she ‘skipped’ the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) programme after she graduated from university, stating that she was granted exemption by the Nigerian Authorities.

Alison-Madueke completed a degree in Architecture from Howard University, Washington D.C., U.S. at the age of 27; however, she wasn’t able to officially graduate at this time due to insufficient funds.

The devaluation of the Nigerian Naira and the poor currency exchange rate in the late eighties resulted in extremely higher tuition fees for Alison-Madueke, consequentially ensuing payment delays and debt. This debt then forced her to work in the U.S. for a considerable period of time after completing her studies in order to pay back any outstanding fees and graduate officially.
Once she returned to Nigerian soil, she had exceeded the official age limit for NYSC, as according to Nigerian law, new graduates under the age of 30 are required sign up for a year of compulsory national service. As a result, the Nigerian Authorities granted Diezani Alison-Madueke exemption from NYSC, which she still owns a physical copy of the document.

Furthermore to strengthen her argument, Alison-Madueke passed all background checks twice by the Nigerian State Security Services (SSS) before being appointed as Minister of Transportation in July 2007 and Minister of Petroleum Resources in April 2010 – if she would have committed any offence against federal law or illegal activity, Nigerian authorities would have stopped all proceedings and action would have been taken.
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by cheikh: 9:42pm On Jun 27, 2011
Kodewrita
We can all read I assume. She graduated at 27 and returned in 1993 when she was already 33. The crime is that she supposedly did not get an exemption. Fact is that she was no longer eligible as at the time she returned.

Gbam!! grin Unfortunately we don't read nor comprehend rules properly hence our confusion.

geosegun
HE/SHE WHO DOES NOT SEE IT WORTHY TO SERVE HIS/HER FATHER LAND [/b]WHEN THINGS WERE NOT ROSY SHOULD NOT BE GIVEN A JUICY APPOINTMENT AT ANY POINT IN TIME. IF PROVED GUILTY, SHE MUST BE RELIEVED OF HER APPOINTMENT IMMEDIATELY.

Are you real? wink She's from Bayelsa State so she's serving her [b]Father and Motherland
grin grin. Who else is more deserving to hold that portfolio given the nature of our 'ethnic' based politics in Nigeria? She has a 'right' to claim that portfolio as part of the "peace" settlement for her restive people. The President(Bayelsan) and the Senate are not dumb my friend. cool
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by yinkkus: 9:42pm On Jun 27, 2011
you can,t be serious what do you mean by she skipped a year of bad rubbish,
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by naijaking1: 10:08pm On Jun 27, 2011
Once again, I would ask which powerful petroluem cabal is after Mrs Madueke
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by DisGuy: 10:15pm On Jun 27, 2011
@Naijaking1

it's the northerners and the Muslims grin
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by naijaking1: 10:38pm On Jun 27, 2011
^^^^
I know suspected, but let they come out open, and not play this thing dirty.
Remember, the oil ministry, FCT minstry, and presidency are their birthrights grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Diezani Allison Madueke Skipped Nysc by olaolabiy: 11:06pm On Jun 27, 2011
When Shell claimed they had people working for them in this Ministry (Petroleum), you all had doubts.

Remember the leaked cable?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Mai Mala Buni: Delta Court Order Not Binding On Me / "President Buhari, VP Osinbajo Care Less About Re-election" - Ismaeel Ahmed / Senate Presidency: Goje’s Sacrifice Appreciated —el Rufai

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.