Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,326 members, 7,829,828 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:17 PM

Am I Not Making A Mistake? - Romance (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Am I Not Making A Mistake? (39772 Views)

Am I Not In A Toxic Relationship Like This? / Am I Making A Mistake? / I May Ruin My Girlfriend's Life, If I Make A Mistake (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by luminouz(m): 6:11pm On Mar 07, 2022
Shalommy:
It's normal, the mother bride price must be paid before hers. As a man, if you don't pay your wife bride price and you can't collect your daughter's bride price.

What's normal?

That the dude pays his fiancée's mom bride price

The mum doesn't have brothers or sons to pay her bride price? Why must any prospective son-in-law do such?

For me, that's a red flag.

1 Like

Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Teaser4(m): 6:11pm On Mar 07, 2022
It’s like she never ready to marry me…. Oboy her mom Dey early 30s, give me her number make I pay her bride price

1 Like

Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by loadedvibes: 6:11pm On Mar 07, 2022
Lol.. hahahah
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by November24(f): 6:12pm On Mar 07, 2022
Drsnives:
Good morning nairaladers, pls pardon my errors.

I met this girl late last year, she's nice, godly and has most of the qualities i want in a wife. i love her, though her dad is late and her mum should be in her late thirties.

Yesterday we were chatting and she was like her dad didn't do the necessary rites on her mum and hence according to tradition i will have to pay her mum's bride price to her family before i will be allowed to start her own (my babe) marriage rites. I just weak cos have never heard of such. Where i won see the money for double bride price?

Pls nairaladers, have any of you come across such ridiculous tradition or she's making it up herself cos i feel like quiting the whole thing.
I just tire. Your opinions are welcomed

Modified: she's from obiaruku in ukuwani local government area of Delta State.

When u enter covenant ehn, your mind go dey
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by mmsen: 6:12pm On Mar 07, 2022
If they are already causing you problems at this stage in the relationship how much worse do you think it will be as the years go by?
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Omotosho1090905(m): 6:13pm On Mar 07, 2022
You for ask the consequences if you no carry out the tradition that way you go now which kind boat you enter
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Almaigaa: 6:14pm On Mar 07, 2022
Drsnives:

I met this girl late last year, she's nice, godly and has most of the qualities i want in a wife. i love her, though her dad is late and her mum should be in her late thirties.

Yesterday we were chatting and she was like her dad didn't do the necessary rites on her mum and hence according to tradition i will have to pay her mum's bride price to her family before i will be allowed to start her own (my babe) marriage rites. I just weak cos have never heard of such. Where i won see the money for double bride price?

Pls nairaladers, have any of you come across such ridiculous tradition or she's making it up herself cos i feel like quiting the whole thing.

This tradition is very comon in IGBO land. They do it in Anambra, Imo, Abia and some part of Enugu.

1 Like

Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Osibajo2023: 6:14pm On Mar 07, 2022
Drsnives:

useless family, if u pay her mother bride price, and d girl come Bleep up nko?
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by godofuck231: 6:15pm On Mar 07, 2022
You will become her husband , by tradition the mother of the girl will no longer have the shame of not being properly married , you will be part of them and they will regard you with respect , if you reside there you will be entitled to a chieftain title , its just a culture shock in ancient times in calabar men marry the mum and her age group and then the girls age group , it was too expensive and it was abolished

2 Likes

Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by kemiwealth: 6:15pm On Mar 07, 2022
Zonefree:

Late 30s could be 38.
Say the girl is 20. Her mum gave birth to her at 18.

Why asking her age? Is 20 not old enough for marriage? Or giving birth at 18 is a sacrilege in your village?
Don't take it personal is just a question
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by lecturer22: 6:15pm On Mar 07, 2022
The thing is, in Anioma tradition, a daughter cannot be married if brideprice is not properly paid on her mother. But the children are the ones expected to pay the brideprice and not the suitors. If she has brothers, she and her brothers should be the ones to pay the bride price. If she is an only child or the siblings are small and well to do, then she should pay it. I don't know about Obiaruku, but the ones I witnessed in the Ika area, the whole bride price is usually less than a hundred thousand for the money and drink including all the items. And this is for the first visit, second visit and third visit.

And it's the mother's family that are making this demand, not the father's.
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Ulunne777(f): 6:15pm On Mar 07, 2022
First heard it in Akwa Ibom state

Then I asked,
Is the father not ashamed to appear irresponsible or is the mother a single mother.
Useless traditions!
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by luminouz(m): 6:16pm On Mar 07, 2022
Drsnives:

She is the best girl have come across so far, it will be difficult leaving her
Lol...you are already rationalising your decision to stick with her, despite that red flag.

Well, it's your life bro. But I will never do what your gf asked from you, pay her mom's bride price. You are not even yet officially part of their household, why put their stuff on you!!!!

1 Like

Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by tiswell(m): 6:16pm On Mar 07, 2022
kelechiodo:

That's normal thing. Op by tradition, the late Dad did not marry the mother and wouldn't have collected the dowry if he is alive. The bride price is paid to the mother's family. Thats the tradition.
what bride price is paid to the mother's family,where are you from?
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by supogift(m): 6:17pm On Mar 07, 2022
It's possible the mum's pride price has not been paid but the they should do is collect the girl own then go and settle with the mum's family
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by NigeriaB(m): 6:17pm On Mar 07, 2022
Drsnives:

She will be 22 in few days from now sef
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by linearity: 6:17pm On Mar 07, 2022
McEphiks:

It is like that where I come from as well. Its nothing like double bride price... its just little things most times less than 10 percent of what you'd spend paying your wife to be bride's price

A daughter can't be married when the mom is not according to out tradition.

Modified: the bride price can be paid by anybody in the family either her brothers or her son if she have a grown son.

I am from Delta but not the part the OP mentioned, we also have that tradition, but the pressure will be on the mom’s husband to complete the marriage rites of his wife, it is not passed on to the incoming husband of their kids.

This is actually a negative of the daughter, because no man will ask her hands in marriage until her mom bride price has been paid as a result many men will pass over them to other household. In fact in many cases, it is the mom that will go borrow money and give to the husband to do the needful so that, he does not keep holding down their daughter from getting married.

It is not the obligation of the new son Inlaw and he can’t be forced into doing it, but he can contribute or bounce, by the time two or three good suitors bounce like that, their eyes go clear and they will run and go do the needful.

1 Like

Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by ONYEKAfra(m): 6:17pm On Mar 07, 2022
i am from that side. It is not true.
what would happen is this,
The girl father family have to pay the price
Else, the girl bride price would be paid to mother family
that is the tradition .
Ask her what is the meaning of Aje sir or Oto ofe, ime ife then you know I am from there

4 Likes

Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by abiolamitodun(m): 6:18pm On Mar 07, 2022
Am from ezionum ukwani..and ive not heard of such b4...maybe its my village that dont practice that culture
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by lomprico(m): 6:18pm On Mar 07, 2022
shantti:
I don't think u r the one to pay the bride price. The girls father has to pay his wife's bride price so he can be eligible to collect his daughter's bride price
Her father is late
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Enemyofpeace: 6:18pm On Mar 07, 2022
Lucky you! That would automatically make you a chair holder to her mother’s pussy. Chei some guys are fokn lucky
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by wallarwallar(m): 6:18pm On Mar 07, 2022
Dis people sef na person wey u wan marry u go pay her bride price now.. O boy if u pay dis nonsense money u go turn to dere ATM and u go pay tire until u return dere daughter. Hungry Shameless family
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Neroiam(m): 6:20pm On Mar 07, 2022
Drsnives:

I'm Deltan. Na job dem wan job u so

It may not be the girl's intention tho. She's probably a pawn in the game.

Remember what happened to Jacob in Gen. 29. Laban had to marry the older sister,Leah first because of thier tradition and had to work extra 7years for Rachel.

In my own opinion, paying her mother's bride price means you're marrying them both.

The people who I think should pay the mother's pride price are the Late Husband's kinsmen.

1 Like

Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Alexgeneration(m): 6:21pm On Mar 07, 2022
Ulunne777:
First heard it in Akwa Ibom state

Then I asked,
Is the father not ashamed to appear irresponsible or is the mother a single mother.
Useless traditions!
Who else if no be single mothers.

If the Papa paid the bride price, wetin the young man want pay again?

1 Like

Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Realists(m): 6:21pm On Mar 07, 2022
luminouz:

What's normal?

That the dude pays his fiancée's mom bride price

The mum doesn't have brothers or sons to pay her bride price? Why must any prospective son-in-law do such?

For me, that's a red flag.

Barbaric culture of barbarians.
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by DryMouth: 6:22pm On Mar 07, 2022
Datboredberry:
Lol... grin

Many things we do in Africa don't make sense...

You're not getting married to her mother, why should you pay the woman's bride price?

A way for the family to cashout? undecided
Most traditions are carved out of greed.

Especially my tribe.

1 Like

Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by house10s: 6:22pm On Mar 07, 2022
Drsnives:

u better walk away now, never heard of such
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by lomprico(m): 6:22pm On Mar 07, 2022
Drsnives:

It's just the bride price that will be paid besides you will not be the one to pay it but I think your babe wants you to bring d cash. Any of her father's relative can do the handing over. Besides Delta bride price is not much e fit no pass or reach 10k sef.
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by iTearHerToto: 6:22pm On Mar 07, 2022
Drsnives:

Her brothers are the one responsible for that. So cut the biitch off angry
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by 0taPiaPia(m): 6:22pm On Mar 07, 2022
McEphiks:

It is like that where I come from as well. Its nothing like double bride price... its just little things most times less than 10 percent of what you'd spend paying your wife to be bride's price

A daughter can't be married when the mom is not according to out tradition.

Modified: the bride price can be paid by anybody in the family either her brothers or her son if she have a grown son.

It should be paid by the girls family. They should rally round and do it. Not the guys business.
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by VicM6: 6:23pm On Mar 07, 2022
Na Wetin ur power reach make u carry, no go do pass ur power o. tor

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

My Girlfriend Refused To Take A Picture With Me / How Much Do You Love Your Current Boyfriend/Girlfriend? / Some Statements Guys Don’t Want To Hear From The Ladies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.