Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,490 members, 7,830,468 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:55 PM

Am I Not Making A Mistake? - Romance (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Am I Not Making A Mistake? (39785 Views)

Am I Not In A Toxic Relationship Like This? / Am I Making A Mistake? / I May Ruin My Girlfriend's Life, If I Make A Mistake (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by sylve11: 7:20pm On Mar 07, 2022
Shalommy:
It's normal, the mother bride price must be paid before hers. As a man, if you don't pay your wife bride price and you can't collect your daughter's bride price.

But the bride price of the mother is not supposed to be paid by the boy. cool
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by meobizy(f): 7:22pm On Mar 07, 2022
she's nice, godly and has most of the qualities i want in a wife.
Why do you people always write this? Do all of you read the same books on marriage or were you created in the same company?

If you have to pay her mother’s bride price then you and her have to engage in bedroom duties. Lol. If it’s their tradition then the ball is in your court. All I know is money won’t come out of my pocket for any good if I won’t sample it one day.
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by judecares1(m): 7:22pm On Mar 07, 2022
Can you ask which part of Obiaruku is she from before I give you the best advice you seek for

Drsnives:
Good morning nairaladers, pls pardon my errors.

I met this girl late last year, she's nice, godly and has most of the qualities i want in a wife. i love her, though her dad is late and her mum should be in her late thirties.

Yesterday we were chatting and she was like her dad didn't do the necessary rites on her mum and hence according to tradition i will have to pay her mum's bride price to her family before i will be allowed to start her own (my babe) marriage rites. I just weak cos have never heard of such. Where i won see the money for double bride price?

Pls nairaladers, have any of you come across such ridiculous tradition or she's making it up herself cos i feel like quiting the whole thing.
I just tire. Your opinions are welcomed

Modified: she's from obiaruku in ukuwani local government area of Delta State.
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Osanoghodua1: 7:23pm On Mar 07, 2022
It's normal, if the dad is still around, let the dad pay it. I joined my siblings to pay my elder brother's bride price otherwise the daughter can't marry. The man is not even aware
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by aribisala0(m): 7:25pm On Mar 07, 2022
Datboredberry:
Trust me, Africa has some of the most stupid, useless traditions...

I love Africa though...

Where I'm from, a widow must shave her head and sleep on her husband's grave for a week after his death...

There are many...

Even the bride price thing doesn't make sense to me...
Very foolish talk
There are strange traditions everywhere
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Oziens: 7:26pm On Mar 07, 2022
Nice question.

Datboredberry:
Lol... grin

Many things we do in Africa don't make sense...

You're not getting married to her mother, why should you pay the woman's bride price?

A way for the family to cashout? undecided
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by purpleicious(f): 7:27pm On Mar 07, 2022
By my own knowledge, your father's people are supposed to go and pay your mum's brideprice else nothing happens.
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by macrodata(m): 7:28pm On Mar 07, 2022
Candidlady:

Lmao

Walahai ba lafia cheesy ...this guy you need help ..

It is actually my business Cuz it wouldn't make sense, like a post iread on family section the husband bragging bout being the only one taking care of the house that his wife brings Nada to the table, she is jobless, she is that... Idont want that kinda insult/life for any lady out there...

Would you want your daughter to be a liability in her husband's house?

And yeah Freda is enough for me.. Idont need no husband.. Nagode

All these your long talk no make sense. Just mind your business and choose to reply post that are relevant to you. This your attitude fit make you put talk for wetin you go regret one day.
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by osazsky(m): 7:29pm On Mar 07, 2022
Candidlady:

It is not a sacrilege in my village... As far as the girl and boy are responsible enough to take care of emselves

Now help me ask the op is the girl established enough and mentally sound to get married?

Iam tired of reading stories on here bout how a day union gets dissolved over lil issues
but this is not wat we are discussing make una try to they discuse a particular topic..there are other topics u will see...like i am jobless but i love my girl and want to marry her..u can channel all these energy on that thread..na people like una dey fail exam..the op is not pleading or begging us for assistance to marry or trian his child..lets try to discuse this topic..how d op feeds fuk shouldnt be ur hiz sir..sorry for replying u this way thanks
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Candidlady: 7:31pm On Mar 07, 2022
macrodata:
All these your long talk no make sense. Just mind your business and choose to reply post that are relevant to you. This your attitude fit make you put talk for wetin you go regret one day.

undecided

Regret what ?

Sir kindly stay at your ends
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Emmaculate77(m): 7:33pm On Mar 07, 2022
Datboredberry:
Lol... grin

Many things we do in Africa don't make sense...

You're not getting married to her mother, why should you pay the woman's bride price?

A way for the family to cashout? undecided

Noo! Na the kinsmen wan cashout. They don't want to forget the past
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by OblorOblor: 7:33pm On Mar 07, 2022
The girl must be very virtuous to attract double dowry in a time like this. But if you ask me, I think the late dad's kinsmen should pay the dowry on behalf of their late brother,after all they'll benefit from their daughter's dowry.

Again, it is dangerous for the young man to go ahead and pay the mother-in-law's dowry because an unhealthy bond will form between them since she is also young.
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by badboyTee(m): 7:34pm On Mar 07, 2022
Candidlady:
sad

Her mum is in her late 30s...

How old is the girl ? _______
cheesy I trust you Haifa shey you still dey run hookup? Let roll
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Nobody: 7:35pm On Mar 07, 2022
Datboredberry:
Trust me, Africa has some of the most stupid, useless traditions...

I love Africa though...

Where I'm from, a widow must shave her head and sleep on her husband's grave for a week after his death...

There are many...

Even the bride price thing doesn't make sense to me...
Igbo??
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by PDPGuy: 7:36pm On Mar 07, 2022
Lmao

I no dey pay any bride price for her mum
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Candidlady: 7:38pm On Mar 07, 2022
osazsky:
but this is not wat we are discussing make una try to they discuse a particular topic..there are other topics u will see...like i am jobless but i love my girl and want to marry her..u can channel all these energy on that thread..na people like una dey fail exam..the op is not pleading or begging us for assistance to marry or trian his child..lets try to discuse this topic..how d op feeds fuk shouldnt be ur hiz sir..sorry for replying u this way thanks

But it is a convo that builds up another discus right?

We good tho!!!

Do have a lovely night rest
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by egunna(m): 7:39pm On Mar 07, 2022
McEphiks:

It is like that where I come from as well. Its nothing like double bride price... its just little things most times less than 10 percent of what you'd spend paying your wife to be bride's price

A daughter can't be married when the mom is not according to out tradition.

Modified: the bride price can be paid by anybody in the family either her brothers or her son if she have a grown son.
ppl no get shame sha.make ur son in-law pay ur bride price.which kind thinking b dat?and d woman and her daughter go comfortable.na ppl wey go come tell u say Dem tear eye b dis ooo
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Angrymode: 7:40pm On Mar 07, 2022
McEphiks:

It is like that where I come from as well. Its nothing like double bride price... its just little things most times less than 10 percent of what you'd spend paying your wife to be bride's price

Modified: the bride price can be paid by anybody in the family either her brothers or her son if she have a grown son.

So it's the man's fault for her father not to pay her mother? What kinda of useless tradition is this. What happened to her paternal family? This tradition is is very funny. OP, if it's me, I will tell her to let me know when someone has paid for her mother's dowry while I'm looking for another woman.

I can never pay for such rubbish except am I'm going home with mother and daughter. This is just ridiculous. The whole community are just extortionists.
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by macrodata(m): 7:45pm On Mar 07, 2022
Candidlady:

undecided

Regret what ?

Sir kindly stay at your ends

Ignore the messenger. Pick the message. If somebody wants to marry, it's their business. Your advice and opinion is irrelevant. Goodbye!
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by ginggerxy: 7:46pm On Mar 07, 2022
Drsnives:

You harsh
which part of Delta is that? If its Igbo part of Delta then I think your girls family is trying to play smart on you in other to avoid being embarassed from her mother's family. Why I said that is because if a man doesn't complete the marriage rites of his wife and the woman gives birth to a girl , during her own traditional marriage , the mother's family has every right to seize what ever is left undone on her mother and it's embarassing . So I think that's what the girl is trying to avoid.
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by AdaAwkanwa(f): 7:51pm On Mar 07, 2022
Let the family of her father pay the bride price, if you pay her mother's bride price then you are marring mother and daughter.

1 Like

Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Cutehector(m): 7:53pm On Mar 07, 2022
The fùckery and fakery of this post bewilders me. I cannot can!
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by chloride6: 7:54pm On Mar 07, 2022
Wahala
grin
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by favour32(m): 7:55pm On Mar 07, 2022
The matter nor dey unusual na normal thing.
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by DarkJeddi(m): 7:55pm On Mar 07, 2022
Shalommy:
It's normal, the mother bride price must be paid before hers. As a man, if you don't pay your wife bride price and you can't collect your daughter's bride price.
So what does this have to do with him?

Is the mother his wife or what?

Why should he be paying for the bride price of a woman that is not her wife?
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Nicepoker(m): 7:57pm On Mar 07, 2022
That's the tradition. We practice that in my place too.
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Nobody: 7:58pm On Mar 07, 2022
I wanted to ask if she is from delta before I saw the last part of your post.
That is how it is in some part of Delta. Blame your girlfriend father for failing to marry his wife properly.
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by sisisioge: 8:01pm On Mar 07, 2022
grin grin grin grin grin

You have to do it....afterall, the mother inlaw is like a bride herself....in her thirties! Chai....I feel ancient menh grin grin grin
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Generalfra1999(m): 8:01pm On Mar 07, 2022
Drsnives:
Good morning nairaladers, pls pardon my errors.

I met this girl late last year, she's nice, godly and has most of the qualities i want in a wife. i love her, though her dad is late and her mum should be in her late thirties.

Yesterday we were chatting and she was like her dad didn't do the necessary rites on her mum and hence according to tradition i will have to pay her mum's bride price to her family before i will be allowed to start her own (my babe) marriage rites. I just weak cos have never heard of such. Where i won see the money for double bride price?

Pls nairaladers, have any of you come across such ridiculous tradition or she's making it up herself cos i feel like quiting the whole thing.
I just tire. Your opinions are welcomed

Modified: she's from obiaruku in ukuwani local government area of Delta State.
It by is the tradition of igbo people you can not do tradition weeding rite for a girl if nothing was done for the mother
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Connected1: 8:02pm On Mar 07, 2022
If you know any aged/young single person in your family or friend as the case maybe that doesn't mind paying the bride price of your supposed mother in-law. Then you should go ahead with the marriage.

Otherwise you have to back off, you can't marry a young mother and daughter without sleeping with the mother someday, you will be tempted and you will fall.

Look for someone to pay her bride price then you pay that of your fiancee.
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Shalommy(f): 8:09pm On Mar 07, 2022
DarkJeddi:
So what does this have to do with him?

Is the mother his wife or what?

Why should he be paying for the bride price of a woman that is not her wife?
It's not a must for him to pay but the mother bride price must be paid before the daughter.
Re: Am I Not Making A Mistake? by Ilaje1: 8:13pm On Mar 07, 2022
McEphiks:

Even if it is 1 naira, why does he have to pay it? He shd walk away.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

How Much Do You Love Your Current Boyfriend/Girlfriend? / Some Statements Guys Don’t Want To Hear From The Ladies / How Do You Like Your Man's Body? What Do You Like In A Woman's Body

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.