Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,334 members, 7,811,975 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:36 AM

Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? (26643 Views)

Job Titles: Machine Operator / How Do You Cope When A Colleague Or Senior Is Not Up To Their Job / The #nairalife Of A Lawyer Who Is Obsessed With Investment Opportunities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by Redstorm(m): 11:40am On Mar 21, 2022
I see that a lot of people take pride in addressing or introducing themselves using their job titles, for example like Pharmacist John, Nurse Grace, Builder Idris, Architect Biodun, Barrister Okoye etc, instead of just Mr. X or Mrs. Y. The most annoying is the ubiquitous title Engr. used by every tom, dick and harry who knows just a little about a certain technical vocation.

When I compare this to what obtains abroad (Europe and America) I notice that the only common job titles in use over there are Dr. and Prof. I've seen a full American professor address himself simply as Dr. (something that will never happen in Nigeria). And they are supposed to have more technical know-how than us, right? Yet they don't flaunt their job titles. So why is our own different?

100 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by Kingozymandias(m): 11:41am On Mar 21, 2022
Stop assuming Nigerians do this, it's the people in the circles you roll that does this

51 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by chigoziri2403(m): 2:34pm On Mar 21, 2022
Nigerians believe in first impression

We are easily carried away by titles

That's why I rarely do business with anyone that introduces himself as a pastor

Once you say you are a pastor, it's a red flag, they think that people would trust them once they present as clergy

334 Likes 25 Shares

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by Bilabong(m): 2:34pm On Mar 21, 2022
After all this ASUU wahala won't u add?

Besides Nigerians like oppressing each others.

61 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by GreaterFuture(m): 2:34pm On Mar 21, 2022
Well Nigeria and it's Nigerian things

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by OzziOhinoyi(m): 2:35pm On Mar 21, 2022
cool
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by Isokoboy(m): 2:35pm On Mar 21, 2022
Make I hear say u nor put ENGR for my name....u go tell me if na u pay my school fees .

78 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by Enemyofpeace: 2:35pm On Mar 21, 2022
As in nairalander enemyofpeace grin cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by JohnPortar: 2:35pm On Mar 21, 2022
Like someone pointed out above, it's the people you roll it.

Besides, the job titles are there for a reason.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by Kingluqman(m): 2:35pm On Mar 21, 2022
Leave anybody alone make dem do how dem like. It’s none of your business.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by FaridaIb: 2:36pm On Mar 21, 2022
We love titles

Nigerians can now earn in US Dollars by doing CPA affiliate marketing, click on my profile picture to see last months earnings of our mentor on cj.com. He earned a total of $22k plus there and another $42K on other networks. We his trainees earn a minimum of $2500 monthly, we must show Nigerians this opportunity, rather than doubt, ask for questions/proof

Just in case you have doubts, he can make a video of him logging into his accounts showing you reports and transfer to the bank.
What you need is a simple training.

Within your 24hrs of joining our paid training; you will be trained on how to earn $465, if that does not happen we will refund your training fees and offer you ₦15,000 extra just for wasting your time, that’s how much confidence we have that you will earn.

Check my profile to contact one of the staff on whatsapp, the number is there

See proof of earnings in my profile picture https://www.nairaland.com/olokorst
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by captainamiedi1: 2:36pm On Mar 21, 2022
I call my Boss by his name. everybody calls each other by their name with so much respect.

But here in Nigeria you must add Sir to ur Boss name and be shivering around them. Nigeria too like titles

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by SocialJustice: 2:36pm On Mar 21, 2022
Redstorm:
I see that a lot of people take pride in addressing or introducing themselves using their job titles, for example like Pharmacist John, Nurse Grace, Builder Idris, Architect Biodun, Barrister Okoye etc, instead of just Mr. X or Mrs. Y. The most annoying is the ubiquitous title Engr. used by every tom, dick and harry who knows just a little about a certain technical vocation.

When I compare this to what obtains abroad (Europe and America) I notice that the only common job titles in use over there are Dr. and Prof. I've seen a full American professor address himself simply as Dr. (something that will never happen in Nigeria). And they are supposed to have more technical know-how than us, right? Yet they don't flaunt their job titles. So why is our own different?
What do you expect from a country like Nigeria where people think they can answer any title once they have money.

Engineers should bring some decorum to their field as Engineer is the most bastardised title in Nigeria answered by plumbers, welders, bricklayer, foreman, draughtsman, vulcaniser and so on.

An academic doctor is someone that has a PhD, Professor is academic rank. Many doctors out there who aren't lecturing hence are not professors.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by updatedws: 2:36pm On Mar 21, 2022
One thing Nigerians love more than money... u see that title? no use am joke with Nigerians... Pantami probably paid millions of naira just to attach professor to his name even though he probably would never return to the classroom again.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by Nobody: 2:36pm On Mar 21, 2022
Country where most PhD holders are dunce. cheesy
After pushing themselves through school with excess funds and plagiarized works they start feeling like demigods. I hate it here.

56 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by treatise: 2:36pm On Mar 21, 2022
Redstorm:

How about Politician Gabriel? grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by NOwazobia: 2:36pm On Mar 21, 2022
You mean semi professional titles?

They don't even work in those titles, still they won't let go of them.

Empty titles with no substance, just to boost ones ego.

Rubbish.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by illicit(m): 2:36pm On Mar 21, 2022
Must we copy the Europeans

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by jimmyolasun: 2:36pm On Mar 21, 2022
Nothing spoil

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by inoki247: 2:36pm On Mar 21, 2022
lol
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by dheolexaone(f): 2:36pm On Mar 21, 2022
Contact me and myself, Engr Dheolexaone for all sales of mobile phones and repair.

Make una bring job edakun!!!

Am a Nigerian cheesy

7 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by HRSweetness(f): 2:36pm On Mar 21, 2022
Nigerians are big on titles cos the average Nigerian without a global exposure feels the need to always announce their accomplishments.

Not recognizing them by their "earned" title is perceived as undermining their capacity and not giving them their due honor.

Many will even go as far as correcting you if the title isn't included. LOL.

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by dalass(f): 2:36pm On Mar 21, 2022
grin

An average Nigerian loves titles .... You must list them all or those people will simply take offence grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by Giffted(m): 2:36pm On Mar 21, 2022
as if it's easy to get those title hear in Nigeria..
Oga no doubt u will still do same it's in the blood of Nigerians

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by blowjohn(m): 2:36pm On Mar 21, 2022
GreaterFuture:
Still hard for me to process too

Nairaland advert warriors be like:

U need a processor to process information for u. Contact me on my profile for best processors!
Free delivery nationwide!

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by posty56: 2:37pm On Mar 21, 2022
especially my Igbo brothers grin if chieftaincy of so so so village never attach to their name ,them no go donate money, Nigerians are very prideful people and are looking for ways to abuse people beneath them,that's why soldiers/police do what they do,rich people abuse poor, politicians abuse their powers etc.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by nedubrazil111(m): 2:37pm On Mar 21, 2022
na for lamba na

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Court Awards N76m To Banker For Wrongful Sacking / Doing A Phd Is Often A Waste Of Time, Says The Economist / How Much Do Bankers Earn In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.