Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,982 members, 7,828,478 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:16 AM

Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? (26687 Views)

Job Titles: Machine Operator / How Do You Cope When A Colleague Or Senior Is Not Up To Their Job / The #nairalife Of A Lawyer Who Is Obsessed With Investment Opportunities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by Isokoboy(m): 6:16pm On Mar 22, 2022
BenDo63:

When you graduate, organizations rush you.

Bandits, ISWAP and B.H grin

(Jeon am I lying?) grin

Hehe...

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by BluntCrazeMan: 1:37pm On Mar 28, 2022
Redstorm:
I see that a lot of people take pride in addressing or introducing themselves using their job titles, for example like Pharmacist John, Nurse Grace, Builder Idris, Architect Biodun, Barrister Okoye etc, instead of just Mr. X or Mrs. Y. The most annoying is the ubiquitous title Engr. used by every tom, dick and harry who knows just a little about a certain technical vocation.

When I compare this to what obtains abroad (Europe and America) I notice that the only common job titles in use over there are Dr. and Prof. I've seen a full American professor address himself simply as Dr. (something that will never happen in Nigeria). And they are supposed to have more technical know-how than us, right? Yet they don't flaunt their job titles. So why is our own different?
I don't know for other professions.
But for Engineers, once you become a registered engineer, you're issued a certificate of registration.
And on that Certificate, it is clearly written that “...You are now authorised to use the prefix ‘Engr.’ in front of your name...”
So, how would you expect someone that was given such a prestigious authority not to excercise such an authority which he merited and deserved.?
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by MeritNation: 2:19pm On Mar 28, 2022
Redstorm:
I see that a lot of people take pride in addressing or introducing themselves using their job titles, for example like Pharmacist John, Nurse Grace, Builder Idris, Architect Biodun, Barrister Okoye etc, instead of just Mr. X or Mrs. Y. The most annoying is the ubiquitous title Engr. used by every tom, dick and harry who knows just a little about a certain technical vocation.

When I compare this to what obtains abroad (Europe and America) I notice that the only common job titles in use over there are Dr. and Prof. I've seen a full American professor address himself simply as Dr. (something that will never happen in Nigeria). And they are supposed to have more technical know-how than us, right? Yet they don't flaunt their job titles. So why is our own different?
I'm glad you said some, not all. It really shouldn't bother anyone how some people choose to be addressed. To each his own
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by Franzinni: 7:14pm On Apr 18, 2022
airsaylongcome:

It's inferiority complex. What do I care of people assume I'm a cleaner when I'm a Surgeon or Engineer or Accountant. The more they assume incorrectly the better for me. Less expectations, less financial demands. As a Techie, would you go around saying "I am Programmer Franzini"? Does it matter if people think you are a Yahoo boy (as a techie) when you know you write codes that earn you way more that "Nurse C" or "Accountant 1"?. A phone repair technician will say he is Engr X or a medicine store business owner will say they are "Pharm B"

Regarding your "tech software" are there any "non-tech software"?
you have a point but unless you are not human or have some mental problems that makes you loose awareness then ... you care what others think ... in fact you care that is why you dress the way you do, talk the way you do... you get my drift .

Also regarding the "tech software" It is what it is
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by Nozino: 8:08pm On Apr 20, 2022
Redstorm:

In America, A Professor is any member of faculty involved in teaching graduate/undergraduate students. In Nigeria, a professor is the highest title available in academia. You can’t compare both.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by Scamburster(m): 12:00am On Sep 23, 2022
SQLmastar:
please how legit is this? I was contacted by some lady that said I would earn $465 within 24hrs of registration for their online class.
That is legit scam.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? / How Much Do Bankers Earn In Nigeria? / 28 Professors Recommended For Demotion In Michael Okpara University, Umudike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.