Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,882 members, 7,828,137 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:28 AM

Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? (26682 Views)

Job Titles: Machine Operator / How Do You Cope When A Colleague Or Senior Is Not Up To Their Job / The #nairalife Of A Lawyer Who Is Obsessed With Investment Opportunities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by Exceed15: 6:33pm On Mar 21, 2022
Kingozymandias:
Stop assuming Nigerians do this, it's the people in the circles you roll that does this

He's right. It's a Nigerian thing.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by Impactever(m): 6:49pm On Mar 21, 2022
Chuvin22:
Country where most PhD holders are dunce. cheesy
After pushing themselves through school with excess funds and plagiarized works they start feeling like demigods. I hate it here.

hahahahahaha.....you got it 100% my man. PhD in Nigeria is a big scam .....overwhelming majority of PhD holders are product of plagiarism.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by phemmyfour: 7:21pm On Mar 21, 2022
Redstorm:
I see that a lot of people take pride in addressing or introducing themselves using their job titles, for example like Pharmacist John, Nurse Grace, Builder Idris, Architect Biodun, Barrister Okoye etc, instead of just Mr. X or Mrs. Y. The most annoying is the ubiquitous title Engr. used by every tom, dick and harry who knows just a little about a certain technical vocation.

When I compare this to what obtains abroad (Europe and America) I notice that the only common job titles in use over there are Dr. and Prof. I've seen a full American professor address himself simply as Dr. (something that will never happen in Nigeria). And they are supposed to have more technical know-how than us, right? Yet they don't flaunt their job titles. So why is our own different?
Architect Sambo grin
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by Udure2468: 7:36pm On Mar 21, 2022
chigoziri2403:
Nigerians believe in first impression

We are easily carried away by titles

That's why I rarely do business with anyone that introduces himself as a pastor

Once you say you are a pastor, it's a red flag, they think that people would trust them once they present as clergy

Your head get oil...
Highest form of hypocrisy.
Let your name or title speak for you.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by chukkystar(m): 7:39pm On Mar 21, 2022
Low self esteem

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by Amotekun777: 7:46pm On Mar 21, 2022
I see many pple on here saying Nigerians love title, blah, blah... That's not the case. The Politicians you see in Nigeria today are simply a reflection of the 200 million fools of Nigeria.

Nigerians are too arrogant and proud, simple! It's a case of empty barrel making the loudest noise.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by Redstorm(m): 7:48pm On Mar 21, 2022
zikter:
I think the appropriate heading should be professional title and not job title

Noted. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by hasyak(m): 7:49pm On Mar 21, 2022
High Chief Dr. Alhaji, Engr. Pastor... �
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by Redstorm(m): 7:54pm On Mar 21, 2022
HilcomTech:

Stop being an ignoramnus.
Titles like Engr, Dr., Architecture, Barristers and military ranks are official.

I agree with you. But what about titles like Pharmacist, Surveyor, Builder, Nurse and the likes. And what about all the half-baked technicians who are parading themselves as Engineers?
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by HilcomTech(m): 8:23pm On Mar 21, 2022
Redstorm:

I agree with you. But what about titles like Pharmacist, Surveyor, Builder, Nurse and the likes. And what about all the half-baked technicians who are parading themselves as Engineers?

Should you even be told that those don't exists?
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by BotherMleeper(m): 9:25pm On Mar 21, 2022
Snake Charmer Lala.

Moderator Seun.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by OlasunkanmiSM(m): 9:30pm On Mar 21, 2022
Isokoboy:
Make I hear say u nor put ENGR for my name....u go tell me if na u pay my school fees .

Loooll...

Be calming down.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by Ekpekus(m): 9:46pm On Mar 21, 2022
treatise:

How about Politician Gabriel? grin
Investor Sabinus
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by treatise: 9:46pm On Mar 21, 2022
Ekpekus:

Investor Sabinus

grin
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by MoIbrahim: 9:48pm On Mar 21, 2022
Isokoboy:
Make I hear say u nor put ENGR for my name....u go tell me if na u pay my school fees .

Surveyor Itokoboy
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by Tinyemeka(m): 9:59pm On Mar 21, 2022
Redstorm:
I see that a lot of people take pride in addressing or introducing themselves using their job titles, for example like Pharmacist John, Nurse Grace, Builder Idris, Architect Biodun, Barrister Okoye etc, instead of just Mr. X or Mrs. Y. The most annoying is the ubiquitous title Engr. used by every tom, dick and harry who knows just a little about a certain technical vocation.

When I compare this to what obtains abroad (Europe and America) I notice that the only common job titles in use over there are Dr. and Prof. I've seen a full American professor address himself simply as Dr. (something that will never happen in Nigeria). And they are supposed to have more technical know-how than us, right? Yet they don't flaunt their job titles. So why is our own different?

Whereas in banks, even CEOs are referred to by their first names.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by luluman: 10:06pm On Mar 21, 2022
Kingozymandias:
Stop assuming Nigerians do this, it's the people in the circles you roll that does this
" do it, not does it"
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by Aaay: 11:41pm On Mar 21, 2022
Hmmm
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by Coolgent(m): 11:45pm On Mar 21, 2022
Redstorm:

One of my senior colleague prefer to be address as Hon. Barrister Dr. then his first name
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by RexTramadol1: 11:53pm On Mar 21, 2022
Redstorm:

Most sef

Person wey be deaconess bfr turn reverend

Omoh, Naso she go fight you if you call her Deaconess by any chance o
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by osazsky(m): 11:53pm On Mar 21, 2022
After i don spend 12 years for uni..come and remove acct from my name and replace it with mr..if i wont lynch u with a mob
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by osazsky(m): 11:56pm On Mar 21, 2022
Those that studied biz admin and ISD how we wan take addresss them...and integrated sci..home economics education..prob nor dey finish
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by jimcaddy(m): 3:20am On Mar 22, 2022
Don't you know that the average African man is a proud man? Small achievement like this, we won't hear word.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by uvie66: 3:43am On Mar 22, 2022
Kingozymandias:
My Friend keep kwayet there... most Nigerians do it....barrister this, Engineer that and Chief, Deaconess, Deacon, the list goes on and on.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by Blesyn22(m): 5:47am On Mar 22, 2022
U know au many years I take suffer before I carry that rank that title for body?

Bros na d suffer wey make am plenty laidat.

As per inside military u gas dey add dat title b4 u call dat name ooo.

Na individual choice. Iffu call me by my title dede and iffu not dede. E no comot my value

Shalom
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by Redstorm(m): 12:16pm On Mar 22, 2022
HilcomTech:

Should you even be told that those don't exists?

As a matter of fact, they do. It seems you don't live in Nigeria
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by HilcomTech(m): 1:07pm On Mar 22, 2022
Redstorm:

As a matter of fact, they do. It seems you don't live in Nigeria

It doesn't exist my friend.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by Nobody: 3:31pm On Mar 22, 2022
Isokoboy:

What about you
Hausa/Fulani and Islamic Engineering grin

Jeon Fati2001 grin
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by Isokoboy(m): 3:35pm On Mar 22, 2022
BenDo63:

Hausa/Fulani and Islamic Engineering grin

Jeon Fati2001 grin
It's has been a stressful day..and I really needed to laugh

Are you kidding...I never knew there is Islamic engineering
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by Nobody: 5:31pm On Mar 22, 2022
Isokoboy:

It's has been a stressful day..and I really needed to laugh

Are you kidding...I never knew there is Islamic engineering
When you graduate, organizations rush you.

Bandits, ISWAP and B.H grin

(Jeon am I lying?) grin
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by mrCSP: 5:37pm On Mar 22, 2022
Redstorm:

Bro, what people go through to get those title no be small thing.
To get Engr. title, you spend over 250K, lobby with people, travel to abuja, write exam, write interview and pay yearly if accepted

however, I believe the title should not define you as a person irrespective

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? / How Much Do Bankers Earn In Nigeria? / 28 Professors Recommended For Demotion In Michael Okpara University, Umudike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.