Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,882 members, 7,828,134 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:19 AM

Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? (26681 Views)

Job Titles: Machine Operator / How Do You Cope When A Colleague Or Senior Is Not Up To Their Job / The #nairalife Of A Lawyer Who Is Obsessed With Investment Opportunities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by YoungBlackRico(m): 2:37pm On Mar 21, 2022
I was listening to a radio show the other day. There were two guests A (a lecture) & B. In the course of their argument. B mistakenly addressed A as Mr A. Next thing I heard was "Dr A please, don't call me Mr". I was like, dude f*ck out of here. grin

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by Valvehouse(m): 2:37pm On Mar 21, 2022
Me I sell Howo truck parts .. please patronize me
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by Edit400: 2:37pm On Mar 21, 2022
Start the week with enough winning and profit from 100 percent manipulated games
Whatsapp 09017611957 to get the game for free!
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by chatinent: 2:37pm On Mar 21, 2022
After ASUU strike and everything, he come grad you say make dem not call am arch? What branch of hell are you repping?

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by princeemmma(m): 2:37pm On Mar 21, 2022
nothing to say
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by house10s2: 2:38pm On Mar 21, 2022
Redstorm:
I see that a lot of people take pride in addressing or introducing themselves using their job titles, for example like Pharmacist John, Nurse Grace, Builder Idris, Architect Biodun, Barrister Okoye etc, instead of just Mr. X or Mrs. Y. The most annoying is the ubiquitous title Engr. used by every tom, dick and harry who knows just a little about a certain technical vocation.

When I compare this to what obtains abroad (Europe and America) I notice that the only common job titles in use over there are Dr. and Prof. I've seen a full American professor address himself simply as Dr. (something that will never happen in Nigeria). And they are supposed to have more technical know-how than us, right? Yet they don't flaunt their job titles. So why is our own different?
why e dey pain?
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by AJSfan: 2:38pm On Mar 21, 2022
Investor Sabinus
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by jditimiya(m): 2:38pm On Mar 21, 2022
But sometimes it help sell you out to people, when they need your need they will call you for it.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by obonujoker(m): 2:38pm On Mar 21, 2022
chigoziri2403:
Nigerians believe in first impression

We are easily carried away by titles

That's why I rarely do business with anyone that introduces himself as a pastor

Once you say you are a pastor, it's a red flag, they think that people would trust them once they present as clergy

Lol... Sam here.... grin
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by Wantedmiller: 2:38pm On Mar 21, 2022
You are the one so obsessed in what people wish to answer.......

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by ohosi4real(m): 2:38pm On Mar 21, 2022
Naturally Nigerians like title even in the old time our fathers like title especially in village when u want to address a man u must add his village title to his name.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by juman(m): 2:38pm On Mar 21, 2022
You mean professor reverend chief lagbaja lakasebe.

Let them enjoy their title.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by blowjohn(m): 2:40pm On Mar 21, 2022
After going thru decades to get such a title, why won't one flaunt it?
The title is there cause u earned it.
So why avoid attaching it to ur name?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by Nobody: 2:40pm On Mar 21, 2022
Not nigerians per se, the average black likes show off and respect.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by Mayeldah(m): 2:41pm On Mar 21, 2022
That one self good, the way pastors are attaching PHD and Archbishop this to Bishop that to their name you will wonder

person go open church, in two years he will call himself Bishop or just becasue you went for a two weeks training program in Homiletics you go dey brandish PHD upandan.

Nigerians like title and show offs.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by uunwanaobong3: 2:41pm On Mar 21, 2022
This is deep

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by Kimjongun: 2:41pm On Mar 21, 2022
Redstorm:
I see that a lot of people take pride in addressing or introducing themselves using their job titles, for example like Pharmacist John, Nurse Grace, Builder Idris, Architect Biodun, Barrister Okoye etc, instead of just Mr. X or Mrs. Y. The most annoying is the ubiquitous title Engr. used by every tom, dick and harry who knows just a little about a certain technical vocation.

When I compare this to what obtains abroad (Europe and America) I notice that the only common job titles in use over there are Dr. and Prof. I've seen a full American professor address himself simply as Dr. (something that will never happen in Nigeria). And they are supposed to have more technical know-how than us, right? Yet they don't flaunt their job titles. So why is our own different?

Status declaration and can also be pride in oneself considering how much it takes to achieve something in this Nigeria. When you finally achieved you most definitely want to show it off.
Also some people do it so others can take them seriously when they talk.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by ikorodureporta: 2:43pm On Mar 21, 2022
Who go be doctor, Barrister, wey no go won show off?
Na professions wey no get title I dey pity.. when I see people using "Builder", na then I know say problem dey!

When I dey secretary for church, I dey reduce everyone to Bro & Sis

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by hoyze24: 2:43pm On Mar 21, 2022
Franzinni:
Becasue nigérians assume alot and if you dont put it smack dab in the middle of thier forehead, they might end up assuming another thing. Anyway this is my tech software what do you think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkMjTbsaZqM
You've got a crazy software there. So good and I love how the images are.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by CHAQUR: 2:44pm On Mar 21, 2022
Mentality syndrome...! Men at the pulpit, motivational speakers, will often tell their congregants to blow their trumpet by themselves and that no one will do that for them... So, what do you expect...? Salient advertisements.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by Nobody: 2:46pm On Mar 21, 2022
Isokoboy:
Make I hear say u nor put ENGR for my name....u go tell me if na u pay my school .
na which engineering you read? Elect or mech or civil or chem etc...
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by mrksquare: 2:46pm On Mar 21, 2022
Redstorm:

In America you hardly see their professors even using the prefix Prof. John. What is very common is Mr. John, Ph.D.

Ms. Condoleezza Rice was a professor of Political science but I only knew when she left as Secretary of State to Pres. Bush to pick up a lecturing job in Stanford University.

Down here we are so given to showmanship.

7 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by BluntTheApostle(m): 2:46pm On Mar 21, 2022
I remembered the professor that supervised my undergraduate project. During the final review of my project, he asked me to remove the professor in front of his name, and put it under his name instead, in the form of an office.

For example: Mc Don (not real name): Professor of Mathematics.

Instead of professor Mc Don.

I also remembered him introducing himself on the phone as Mc Don, professor of mathematics, instead of Prof Mc Don.

This was unlike many of our other professors and doctors who would take offense if you dared to call them without their title in front of their names.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by Nobody: 2:47pm On Mar 21, 2022
illicit:
Must we copy the Europeans
Emmm! Yet you copy all their beautiful inventions and enjoy all but.. clap for yourself
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by manmade(m): 2:47pm On Mar 21, 2022
Eehen nah! You no want make we impressed our neighbours again ?�

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by Winters23: 2:47pm On Mar 21, 2022
[s]
Redstorm:

[/s]
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by LordIsaac(m): 2:47pm On Mar 21, 2022
A complex of some sort. Being educated here is no mean feat grin

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by ednut1(m): 2:49pm On Mar 21, 2022
Poverty and oppression mindset. The blacks man for you.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? / How Much Do Bankers Earn In Nigeria? / 28 Professors Recommended For Demotion In Michael Okpara University, Umudike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.