Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,106 members, 7,828,868 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:25 PM

Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? (26688 Views)

Job Titles: Machine Operator / How Do You Cope When A Colleague Or Senior Is Not Up To Their Job / The #nairalife Of A Lawyer Who Is Obsessed With Investment Opportunities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by BabaIbo: 2:50pm On Mar 21, 2022
Don't mind them...

That is how some of these my customers added "CEO or MD of so so and so company," why me that is their major supplier is using "works at..."

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by LordIsaac(m): 2:52pm On Mar 21, 2022
Chuvin22:
Country where most PhD holders are dunce. cheesy
After pushing themselves through school with excess funds and plagiarized works they start feeling like demigods. I hate it here.
"Plagiarized work".....Lol....But some universities use Turnitin and some of our papers are widely cited abroad na cheesy cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by Tinymayour: 2:52pm On Mar 21, 2022
Redstorm:
I see that a lot of people take pride in addressing or introducing themselves using their job titles, for example like Pharmacist John, Nurse Grace, Builder Idris, Architect Biodun, Barrister Okoye etc, instead of just Mr. X or Mrs. Y. The most annoying is the ubiquitous title Engr. used by every tom, dick and harry who knows just a little about a certain technical vocation.

When I compare this to what obtains abroad (Europe and America) I notice that the only common job titles in use over there are Dr. and Prof. I've seen a full American professor address himself simply as Dr. (something that will never happen in Nigeria). And they are supposed to have more technical know-how than us, right? Yet they don't flaunt their job titles. So why is our own different?

Can I ask a question ?
I go ask , do you have a job ? , I mean any professional title at all ?
You prolly do not have any so you found those who uses theirs to address themselves kinda offensive or inappropriate...

As the matter of fact it happens like that all around the world , so stop the hate for the professional who re proud of their title

Even if you no get job .. feel free to add jobless to your social media bio , we would address you with due respect

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by Newton2024: 2:53pm On Mar 21, 2022
posty56:
especially my Igbo brothers grin if chieftaincy of so so so village never attach to their name ,them no go donate money, Nigerians are very prideful people and are looking for ways to abuse people beneath them,that's why soldiers/police do what they do,rich people abuse poor, politicians abuse their powers etc.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by KevMitnick: 2:55pm On Mar 21, 2022
Its because most Nigerians are naturally disrespectful. They are superficial and can't reason beyond what they see. If you don't teach them how to address you, they'll end up dragging you in the mud.
Some years ago I didn't care about my professional title until I had received my own fair share of disrespect and mud dragging, this prompted me to always introduce myself first whenever I meet people.n

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by ogawisdom(m): 2:55pm On Mar 21, 2022
Redstorm:
I see that a lot of people take pride in addressing or introducing themselves using their job titles, for example like Pharmacist John, Nurse Grace, Builder Idris, Architect Biodun, Barrister Okoye etc, instead of just Mr. X or Mrs. Y. The most annoying is the ubiquitous title Engr. used by every tom, dick and harry who knows just a little about a certain technical vocation.

When I compare this to what obtains abroad (Europe and America) I notice that the only common job titles in use over there are Dr. and Prof. I've seen a full American professor address himself simply as Dr. (something that will never happen in Nigeria). And they are supposed to have more technical know-how than us, right? Yet they don't flaunt their job titles. So why is our own different?

What is wrong with it?

Its part of packaging

Titles are important but make sure you have money too, it's importanter.

Must we do what is done abroad

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by nedekid: 2:56pm On Mar 21, 2022
Same reason Nigerians give you respect if you drive a benz with without 5k in your pocket than another person driving a corolla with 10m in his pocket.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by IMASTEX: 2:57pm On Mar 21, 2022
chigoziri2403:
Nigerians believe in first impression

We are easily carried away by titles

That's why I rarely do business with anyone that introduces himself as a pastor

Once you say you are a pastor, it's a red flag, they think that people would trust them once they present as clergy
Very smart one. I do the same. Once you bring in religious title in a business, I automatically increase my assessment of you.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by seunH: 2:58pm On Mar 21, 2022
chigoziri2403:
Nigerians believe in first impression

We are easily carried away by titles

That's why I rarely do business with anyone that introduces himself as a pastor

Once you say you are a pastor, it's a red flag, they think that people would trust them once they present as clergy
Sincerely
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by nengiscrib: 2:58pm On Mar 21, 2022
I think the author has a point, but it can be challenged regardless.
I saw someone's post talking about the Europeans, yeah but note that we mustn't copy everything. Our culture likes titles, from Chief, Engr, His excellency, Honourable, Deacon, Deaconess. etc.

That's just something we have to deal with.
But i agree with the fact that any TDH with vocational studies attendance / participation or so would take the title of an Engr. That's absurd

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by VenumX: 2:59pm On Mar 21, 2022
That's nizooria for you.

Inferiority complex wants to finish them. grin
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by EmperorHadrain: 3:00pm On Mar 21, 2022
Most annoying one is a one term senator from the second republic who still retains the title Senator .

But more annoying is how governors and the president are addressed as your excellency.

If you go to the spiritual field you have them addressing themselves as pastors, prophet/prophetess, Reverend, bishop, and the yeye GO title .
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by Kpengla(m): 3:00pm On Mar 21, 2022
I used to have a boss back then, Kola Shogbamu, he'd call me on the phone and go "Hello Chijioke, this is Mr. Shogbamu" Dumb, idiot mothafuckêr.

Or the bitch of a supervisor I had who would call and say "This is Madam Enobong" grin

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by GistFullGround: 3:02pm On Mar 21, 2022
Professor, Dr. , Engineer, Ritualist, Agbero etc grin

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by davit: 3:02pm On Mar 21, 2022
treatise:

How about Politician Gabriel? grin
This one na Honourable. Any politician is an honourable now whether he contests or not let alone being voted into power.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by jaxxy(m): 3:05pm On Mar 21, 2022
Redstorm:

Very funny question. grin

Maybe some professions require it for identification in professional circles bt most Nigerians may do it for other reasons.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by Spanki(f): 3:05pm On Mar 21, 2022
Redstorm:

Because THIS IS A JOBLESS SOCIETY grin
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by sheddy411(m): 3:06pm On Mar 21, 2022
Kingozymandias:
Stop assuming Nigerians do this, it's the people int he crickets you roll that does this
It's not an assumption but fact. Pay attention when you're out and about
davit:

This one na Honourable. Any politician is an honourable now whether he contests or not let alone being voted into power.
Kingozymandias:
Stop assuming Nigerians do this, it's the people int he crickets you roll that does this
It's not an assumption but fact. Pay attention when you're out and about
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by Kpengla(m): 3:06pm On Mar 21, 2022
EmperorHadrain:
Most annoying one is a one term senator from the second republic who still retains the title Senator .

But more annoying is how governors and the president are addressed as your excellency.

If you go to the spiritual field you have them addressing themselves as pastors, prophet/prophetess, Reverend, bishop, and the yeye GO title .

Once a senator though, you're addressed as a senator for life.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by mastermaestro(m): 3:10pm On Mar 21, 2022
Mayeldah:
That one self good, the way pastors are attaching PHD and Archbishop this to Bishop that to their name you will wonder

person go open church, in two years he will call himself Bishop or just becasue you went for a two weeks training program in Homiletics you go dey brandish PHD upandan.

Nigerians like title and show offs.

Lower your voice bro. grin

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by airsaylongcome: 3:12pm On Mar 21, 2022
Franzinni:
Becasue nigérians assume alot and if you dont put it smack dab in the middle of thier forehead, they might end up assuming another thing. Anyway this is my tech software what do you think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkMjTbsaZqM

It's inferiority complex. What do I care of people assume I'm a cleaner when I'm a Surgeon or Engineer or Accountant. The more they assume incorrectly the better for me. Less expectations, less financial demands. As a Techie, would you go around saying "I am Programmer Franzini"? Does it matter if people think you are a Yahoo boy (as a techie) when you know you write codes that earn you way more that "Nurse C" or "Accountant 1"?. A phone repair technician will say he is Engr X or a medicine store business owner will say they are "Pharm B"

Regarding your "tech software" are there any "non-tech software"?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by investigator007: 3:14pm On Mar 21, 2022
Maybe they're proud of their profession that's all.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by pocohantas(f): 3:15pm On Mar 21, 2022
Kpengla:
I used to have a boss back then, Kola Shogbamu, he'd call me on the phone and go "Hello Chijioke, this is Mr. Shogbamu" Dumb, idiot mothafuckêr.

Or the bitch of a supervisor I had who would call and say "This is Madam Enobong" grin

To open mouth and call their own names come hard? Wahala o cheesy
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by mastermaestro(m): 3:16pm On Mar 21, 2022
VenumX:
That's nizooria for you.

Inferiority complex wants to finish them. grin

Grow up! angry

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by VenumX: 3:20pm On Mar 21, 2022
mastermaestromasturbat0r:

I need to Grow up and invent something! angry

Ok
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by tutudesz: 3:22pm On Mar 21, 2022
Redstorm:

We like title too much in Nigeria undecided
Pastor Tobi, Apostle Mike, Bishop David, Etc
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by mastermaestro(m): 3:22pm On Mar 21, 2022
VenumX:

Ok

Depressed kid. You need help. cry

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by Mrbenny001: 3:23pm On Mar 21, 2022
Just do mistake address a Nigeria professor as a Dr.... He will make sure you never graduate grin
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by MMWandali: 3:24pm On Mar 21, 2022
Nigerians are really obsessed with titles
I wonder too

Traditional titles
Professional titles
Academic titles
Even political titles and Street titles or apprentice titles and so on
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by VenumX: 3:24pm On Mar 21, 2022
mastermaestro masturbat0r:

I am a Depressed old man. I need help. cry
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by zikter(m): 3:24pm On Mar 21, 2022
Redstorm:

I think the appropriate heading should be professional title and not job title

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? / How Much Do Bankers Earn In Nigeria? / 28 Professors Recommended For Demotion In Michael Okpara University, Umudike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.