Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,926 members, 7,828,207 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:22 AM

Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? (26683 Views)

Job Titles: Machine Operator / How Do You Cope When A Colleague Or Senior Is Not Up To Their Job / The #nairalife Of A Lawyer Who Is Obsessed With Investment Opportunities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by Meteng: 3:25pm On Mar 21, 2022
It’s becoming worse sef , now you see, Leader, Builder, Chief, High Chief, to shame the ordinary “Chiefs “, etc

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by OFFICIAL336: 3:33pm On Mar 21, 2022
I guess you have not been to South Korea. One of the things I hate about some Nigerian youth is their herd mentality.

It seems they lack independent thinking.

OP has opened a thread and said nonsense and most of them are busy insulting their country. If another person opens a thread a praise Nigerians for doing that, the same people will turn around and fall in line.

No wonder they their pastors and Imams more than their God. It's the same reason you'll see them joining ponzi schemes once a celebrity endorses it.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by riczy(m): 3:34pm On Mar 21, 2022
SocialJustice:
What do you expect from a country like Nigeria where people think they can answer any title once they have money.

Engineers should bring some decorum to their field as Engineer is the most bastardised title is Nigeria answered by plumbers, welders, bricklayer, foreman, draughtsman, vulcaniser and so on.

An academic doctor is someone that has a PhD, Professor is academic rank. Many doctors out there who aren't lecturing hence are not professors.
u can still do admin job and still hold d title Prof, its an award merited wen u av published papers
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by Isokoboy(m): 3:37pm On Mar 21, 2022
BenDo63:
na which engineering you read? Elect or mech or civil or chem etc...
Chemical
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by drlateef: 3:38pm On Mar 21, 2022
It’s a ego problem along with inferiority complex. They wanted to copy doctors and PHD holders. It doesn’t happen in developed societies. It’s one of the problems of backward underdeveloped societies.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by DeLaRue: 3:38pm On Mar 21, 2022
Every where I go, I introduce myself as 'Mr ................' but it rarely ends there. If there's anyone who knows me around, they will often jump in, uninvited, to say:

'...ahh Oga, you're not Mr o!' They end up calling out my educational title.

Always an embarrassment.

The new one now is '...Mr XYZ Phd'
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by MrBroke(m): 3:39pm On Mar 21, 2022
Nigerians are just too complex, for people to change they have to unlearn a lot of fallacies imbibed in them from birth.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by HilcomTech(m): 3:39pm On Mar 21, 2022
Redstorm:
I see that a lot of people take pride in addressing or introducing themselves using their job titles, for example like Pharmacist John, Nurse Grace, Builder Idris, Architect Biodun, Barrister Okoye etc, instead of just Mr. X or Mrs. Y. The most annoying is the ubiquitous title Engr. used by every tom, dick and harry who knows just a little about a certain technical vocation.

When I compare this to what obtains abroad (Europe and America) I notice that the only common job titles in use over there are Dr. and Prof. I've seen a full American professor address himself simply as Dr. (something that will never happen in Nigeria). And they are supposed to have more technical know-how than us, right? Yet they don't flaunt their job titles. So why is our own different?

Stop being an ignoramnus.
Titles like Engr, Dr., Architecture, Barristers and military ranks are official.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by treatise: 3:41pm On Mar 21, 2022
davit:

This one na Honourable. Any politician is an honourable now whether he contests or not let alone being voted into power.

grin Even if na corrupt one fa
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by lagosrd: 3:45pm On Mar 21, 2022
You call yourself what you're and you will be addressed as such. There is nothing like being obsessed. Don't envy what you're not, a doctor us a doctor a nurse is a nurse and an Architect is one. You can be a bricklayer or an iron bender and wants to be addressed as a an engineer. Never. And if your job doesn't require description just answer your name . Simple
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by DeLaRue: 3:47pm On Mar 21, 2022
Another laughable one is 'Barrister XYZ'. In England where we imported our legal system, the concept of prefacing a lawyer's name with 'Barrister' is unknown.

A lawyer has no more need to preface his name with 'Barrister' than a Carpenter needs to introduce himself as 'Carpenter Mike'.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by Nobody: 3:51pm On Mar 21, 2022
Isokoboy:

Chemical

That's nice
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by Talawaka: 3:58pm On Mar 21, 2022
@OP, you forgot to mention 'Alhaji/Alhaja' as well as its 'Jerusalem Pilgrim' (JP) equivalent grin

Nigerians and silly titles are like two peas in a pod.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by pfadom: 4:03pm On Mar 21, 2022
If you don't have any job title put Alhaji, Alhaja, Malam etc.

The system encourages it.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by Scamburster(m): 4:03pm On Mar 21, 2022
FaridaIb:
We love titles

Nigerians can now earn in US Dollars by doing CPA affiliate marketing, click on my profile picture to see last months earnings of our mentor on cj.com. He earned a total of $22k plus there and another $42K on other networks. We his trainees earn a minimum of $2500 monthly, we must show Nigerians this opportunity, rather than doubt, ask for questions/proof

Just in case you have doubts, he can make a video of him logging into his accounts showing you reports and transfer to the bank.
What you need is a simple training.

Within your 24hrs of joining our paid training; you will be trained on how to earn $465, if that does not happen we will refund your training fees and offer you ₦15,000 extra just for wasting your time, that’s how much confidence we have that you will earn.

Check my profile to contact one of the staff on whatsapp, the number is there

See proof of earnings in my profile picture https://www.nairaland.com/olokorst
You are after this your training fees.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by Nobody: 4:04pm On Mar 21, 2022
LordIsaac:

"Plagiarized work".....Lol....But some universities use Turnitin and some of our papers are widely cited abroad na cheesy cheesy

Some experts are very good with Grammarly and Paraphrasing. Turnitin has nothing on them.
Plagiarism is a crime that can't be stopped.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by Cutehector(m): 4:07pm On Mar 21, 2022
Shush. Hypocrite
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by M1Garand(m): 4:23pm On Mar 21, 2022
When it's currently taking us almost 7years to get a B.Engr another 1 year of NYSC and another 4 years to be Coren Registered. When you get it, you will naturally want to flaunt it. It also serve as a means of making money because everyone knows you're an Engineer. In an industry, filled with quacks it's better to add it before you start hearing "I never knew you are an Engineer"

The only difference between our own and foreigners at least in my Engineering domain is

They will just put F.E or P.E at the back of their name which means Engineer in Training or Professional Engineer. Which is the same as adding Engr. to your name in Nigeria which means you're COREN registered. But they don't do things like Engr. Prof. XYZ. I don't like that one sef. It's better to go with Engr. XYZ pH.D

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by Nobody: 4:31pm On Mar 21, 2022
SocialJustice:
What do you expect from a country like Nigeria where people think they can answer any title once they have money.

Engineers should bring some decorum to their field as Engineer is the most bastardised title is Nigeria answered by plumbers, welders, bricklayer, foreman, draughtsman, vulcaniser and so on.

An academic doctor is someone that has a PhD, Professor is academic rank. Many doctors out there who aren't lecturing hence are not professors.

grin grin grin Engineers have suffered.

I don't understand why every skilled and unskilled worker claim that title. It always funny when I hear let me call the Engineer and the person is a tiler or bricklayer.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by captainbangz: 4:44pm On Mar 21, 2022
I know an Engr.Dr.Prof.XYZ
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by jaoh: 4:45pm On Mar 21, 2022
Redstorm:
I see that a lot of people take pride in addressing or introducing themselves using their job titles, for example like Pharmacist John, Nurse Grace, Builder Idris, Architect Biodun, Barrister Okoye etc, instead of just Mr. X or Mrs. Y. The most annoying is the ubiquitous title Engr. used by every tom, dick and harry who knows just a little about a certain technical vocation.

When I compare this to what obtains abroad (Europe and America) I notice that the only common job titles in use over there are Dr. and Prof. I've seen a full American professor address himself simply as Dr. (something that will never happen in Nigeria). And they are supposed to have more technical know-how than us, right? Yet they don't flaunt their job titles. So why is our own different?

This is just a proof that you are jobless. What's your own business with what people want to be called or addressed as? Abeg, let people be jawe.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by BRATISLAVA: 4:55pm On Mar 21, 2022
Redstorm:

Because the average Nigerian is filled with bombast and pride is their only language.

Do you know who I am? First heard that statement from a Nigerian.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by SQLmastar(m): 4:57pm On Mar 21, 2022
Scamburster:

You are after this your training fees.
please how legit is this? I was contacted by some lady that said I would earn $465 within 24hrs of registration for their online class.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by BigDawsNet: 5:01pm On Mar 21, 2022
What's a perfect title for a Computer Scientist embarassed
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by Nobody: 5:21pm On Mar 21, 2022
nengiscrib:
I think the author has a point, but it can be challenged regardless.
I saw someone's post talking about the Europeans, yeah but note that we mustn't copy everything. Our culture likes titles, from Chief, Engr, His excellency, Honourable, Deacon, Deaconess. etc.

That's just something we have to deal with.
But i agree with the fact that any TDH with vocational studies attendance / participation or so would take the title of an Engr. That's absurd

They don't take the title, the society simply call them that because they fail to understand they are Stratas in the engineering profession. They are free to be called such on the Streets, but In the gathering of certified engineers they are found wanting. And mind you such people can't be use in project bidding

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by Isokoboy(m): 5:24pm On Mar 21, 2022
BenDo63:

That's nice
What about you
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by nihinlade(m): 5:26pm On Mar 21, 2022
This is not true. My cousin is a Professor but he doesn't like people knowing or calling him Professor outside.

My Pastor too has a PhD in Theology but doesn't like to always attach it unless necessary.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by Mindlesskid: 5:29pm On Mar 21, 2022
Redstorm:

It's just a way of advertising what you do.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by SLOVFO(m): 5:40pm On Mar 21, 2022
Engineer! Engineer!! Oga engineer come repair my rechargeable lamp.

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by Bamzyriches451: 5:54pm On Mar 21, 2022
Damn!
Ogbeni op who'll do same if you have the same opportunity
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by SocialJustice: 6:05pm On Mar 21, 2022
Studymore123:

grin grin grin Engineers have suffered.

I don't understand why every skilled and unskilled worker claim that title. It always funny when I hear let me call the Engineer and the person is a tiler or bricklayer.
Na big name na. Nigerians are always looking for shortcuts to the top and don't mind faking it with a fake title.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Obsessed With Attaching Their Job Titles To Their Names? by SocialJustice: 6:06pm On Mar 21, 2022
riczy:
u can still do admin job and still hold d title Prof, its an award merited wen u av published papers
A school or research institute must appoint you as professor, being a professor is not an award before that guy that sells award and beauty pageant Queen titles here starts thinking he can mint award and sell to people like Buhari and Amaechi.

I think what you're trying to say is the academic points publishing a paper gives and impact factor too that brings career progression to research fellows.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? / How Much Do Bankers Earn In Nigeria? / 28 Professors Recommended For Demotion In Michael Okpara University, Umudike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.