Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,385 members, 7,812,134 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:48 AM

The Origin Of Agbor And The Obi Of Agbor - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Origin Of Agbor And The Obi Of Agbor (7998 Views)

Catriona Laing Visits Nnaemeka Alfred Ugochukwu Achebe, The Obi Of Onitsha / Obi Of Onitsha And Traditional Rulers Visits 2nd Bridge . PICTURES. / 2019:atiku And Peter Obi Visit Obi Of Onitsha (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Origin Of Agbor And The Obi Of Agbor by Nozino: 2:05pm On May 06, 2022
Aksnoopy:
The bolded shows that you are mentally deranged, confused and brainwashed. One minute you claim your ancestry is from Benin, the next minute you claim you have no Igbo ancestry, no this.
You are very confused.
You agbor people are very dubious and thats why Benin people don't trust you guys.

We don’t trust them because we see them as Igbos. We also don’t want “Edo Igbo “ or “Bini Igbo” like they have in Delta state. Even the Igbankes answer Benin names and try to blend in with Binis culturally.

2 Likes

Re: The Origin Of Agbor And The Obi Of Agbor by onyekabe(m): 2:07pm On May 06, 2022
We Agbor people did not migrate from Benin, it is true that we share common ancestry (ogiso) and we and igbo has nothing in common except language that is similar
https://www.nairaland.com/4507273/stop-promoting-igbo-culture-says/3
Our king has spoken on this issue
Re: The Origin Of Agbor And The Obi Of Agbor by Aksnoopy: 2:10pm On May 06, 2022
Unzerious:
This post is a Piece of S**t.

Agbor isn't part of IKA Nation, because it's a Kingdom recognised Centuries before civilisation.
the Dein of Agbor's name is Kiagborekuzi 1 only, and He or the Throne isn't affliated to the Igbo Tribe.
Agbor is a People, Language and Place. The Igbo name they bear is as a result of years of interaction with the Tribe, it's like naming your child after a Foreign Neighbour/Friend.
Agbor lost/forgot some of their Culture because of this close Interaction with foreigners.
The Title of the Chief (He can and will never be a King) of Owa was in the Palace of the Dein of Agbor, before his eventual Break-away.
Ika is a Place in Akwa-Ibom, and so can't be a Name for the Kingdom of Agbor.
Language similarities doesn't Change the Identity of a People. The people of Oza-Nogogo speak a Language similar to the Benin Language, but they remain Agbor Today, Tomorrow and Forever.

Pls OP, don't write things you don't know, I could sue You.

Disclaimer: Any body from IKA isn't from Agbor Kingdom.
Lmao! Obi of ow a is a chief? Go to his palace and say it.
I said earlier that agbor and owa are not in good terms but they pretend so much that you won't see it until you live or dwell among them.
Confused lots!

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of Agbor And The Obi Of Agbor by Akudaisi: 2:10pm On May 06, 2022
Aksnoopy:
Its also the same in yorubaland. There are different dialects in ekiti, ikere dialect is different from iyin ekiti dialect.
Owo dialect differs from ijebu dialect.
The problem is that agbor people don't travel.
that's what they don't know,most of them don't travel so they are ignorance of the sheer difference even among communities,up till today I have never seen any Igbo dialect that is as hard as Egbemma both the Imo own and Rivers own I scratch my head to even understand anything they say.. I have had some work at Agbor and it wasn't had for me to understand their dialect it's very easy than some Igbo dialects I have heard.

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of Agbor And The Obi Of Agbor by Aksnoopy: 2:11pm On May 06, 2022
aribisala0:
Define Igbo?
Define Yoruba?

2 Likes

Re: The Origin Of Agbor And The Obi Of Agbor by Aksnoopy: 2:14pm On May 06, 2022
jerseyboy:

Na their way. Igbos have become very annoying and impossible. This very post is so annoying that I will never vote an Igbo anything on this earth. I was going yo vote Obi but this people are toxic. My Ika cousin besides me is boiling with rage.
lmao! Inconsequential votes. After okowa is gone, you people will never govern delta state till eternity. Diabolic and fetish lots!

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of Agbor And The Obi Of Agbor by Akudaisi: 2:16pm On May 06, 2022
aribisala0:
You are dry, uninteresting, empty, ignorant and obnoxious

In short a waste of space and time

Like I said the world is full of fools with opinions
You are entitled to your opinions

DId anyone ask you for a lecture on ethnicity or Nationality?

Yet you say someone likes arguing.
I am sure you will argue with an empty room

Go away
u go learn by force grin
Shey u talk say ethnicity and nationality na the same thing, stinkking dindirin calling someone empty,u dumb ah swear....I like lecturing educated dumbo like u
Re: The Origin Of Agbor And The Obi Of Agbor by onyekabe(m): 2:19pm On May 06, 2022
ThEGodFaThEr137:

A slave will always be a slave. Ika people have accepted their igbo ancestry and there's nothing you and your entire edo slave household can do about it.
All your rantings and wailings stops on nairaland. We look forward to the day you edo slaves will be evacuated to continue your slavery in Benin kingdom. Hungry man like you!
where did we as ika accept igbo accestry?
https://www.ikaweekly.com/stop-promoting-igbo-culture-says-dein-of-agbor/
Re: The Origin Of Agbor And The Obi Of Agbor by Akudaisi: 2:20pm On May 06, 2022
onyekabe:
We Agbor people did not migrate from Benin, it is true that we share common ancestry (ogiso) and we and igbo has nothing in common except language that is similar
https://www.nairaland.com/4507273/stop-promoting-igbo-culture-says/3
Our king has spoken on this issue
please stop using Igbo names and language please go and create your own version of names and language different from the normal Igboid versions,also try change some cultures,I know a few Ikas that wear okpu red,and Ishiagu make una stop abeg.
Igbo don't want u,u guys don't contribute anything to the larger Igbo.

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of Agbor And The Obi Of Agbor by onyekabe(m): 2:24pm On May 06, 2022
Aksnoopy:
That's how deluded some agbor people can be. I stated earlier that I once stayed in agbor, so I know what I am saying.
Do you know more than Agbor king
Re: The Origin Of Agbor And The Obi Of Agbor by Aksnoopy: 2:31pm On May 06, 2022
Akudaisi:
that's what they don't know,most of them don't travel so they are ignorance of the sheer difference even among communities,up till today I have never seen any Igbo dialect that is as hard as Egbemma both the Imo own and Rivers own I scratch my head to even understand anything they say.. I have had some work at Agbor and it wasn't had for me to understand their dialect it's very easy than some Igbo dialects I have heard.
Its the same for me. I clearly understood them whenever they speak, I worked in agbor and lived in owanta for 2 years. In fact it was easy for me to understand than some ebonyi dialects.
Funny thing is that they also understand Igbo.

2 Likes

Re: The Origin Of Agbor And The Obi Of Agbor by Akudaisi: 2:36pm On May 06, 2022
Aksnoopy:
Its the same for me. I clearly understood them whenever they speak, I worked in agbor and lived in owanta for 2 years. In fact it was easy for me to understand than some ebonyi dialects.
Funny thing is that they also understand Igbo.
u say funny grin ?
Lol the concept of Ethnicity lies in the funny part,wether you like it or not you will understand the central Igbo even when u can not speak it,it's like magic so far you speak an Igbo dialect no matter how much different it sounds to someone if that person speaks central Igbo you would understand the person...it's not a rocket science but it's a thing of wonder,don't u think.

2 Likes

Re: The Origin Of Agbor And The Obi Of Agbor by Aksnoopy: 2:36pm On May 06, 2022
onyekabe:
confused man! Your king said agbor language is different from Ika language. Lmao.
Very confused set of people.

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of Agbor And The Obi Of Agbor by ThEGodFaThEr137: 2:41pm On May 06, 2022
onyekabe:
Those of you who don't accept igbo ancestry can go back to Benin kingdom as slaves you are. Nobody is forcing you people but you can remain in agbor, Igboland and still be claiming Benin.
Re: The Origin Of Agbor And The Obi Of Agbor by chrismastre5(m): 2:43pm On May 06, 2022
jerseyboy:

WTF. You are going to tell a man who he is?
You guys are really cannibals.

Ika is well outside the cannibal map. Anthropology would conclude they could never be Igbo. Not even Asaba is Igbo
is that your argument?
Re: The Origin Of Agbor And The Obi Of Agbor by Aksnoopy: 2:45pm On May 06, 2022
Akudaisi:
u say funny grin ?
Lol the concept of Ethnicity lies in the funny part,wether you like it or not you will understand the central Igbo even when u can not speak it,it's like magic so far you speak an Igbo dialect no matter how much different it sounds to someone if that person speaks central Igbo you would understand the person...it's not a rocket science but it's a thing of wonder,don't u think.
Yeah, you are right.
The funniest thing and why I will always laugh when the so called "IKA" deny being Igbo is that I worked with an urhobo man who was our boss and an agbor man. Most time whenever he speaks to me, he will often mock the agbor man by saying "ikechukwu, explain to your brother in Igbo so that he can understand me better". Lmao.
Re: The Origin Of Agbor And The Obi Of Agbor by onyekabe(m): 2:56pm On May 06, 2022
Mr. Godwin Ifeanyichukwu Emefile picked Up presidential ticket this morning
Let us join hand to make a Delta man from Agbor the president
Re: The Origin Of Agbor And The Obi Of Agbor by Aksnoopy: 3:03pm On May 06, 2022
onyekabe:
Lmao! We Igbo's will rather vote for a Fulani man again.

2 Likes

Re: The Origin Of Agbor And The Obi Of Agbor by Akudaisi: 3:10pm On May 06, 2022
Aksnoopy:
Yeah, you are right.
The funniest thing and why I will always laugh when the so called "IKA" deny being Igbo is that I worked with an urhobo man who was our boss and an agbor man. Most time whenever he speaks to me, he will often mock the agbor man by saying "ikechukwu, explain to your brother in Igbo so that he can understand me better". Lmao.
lol it's good that non-Igbo self dey lecture them,but I do know that themselves know the truth but will choose to hide it.
And they like that name Ikechukwu and Ifeanyi Sha.
Godwin Ifeanyi Emfiele
Ifeanyi Okowa .
They like our name and language but they hate us grin yeye pipul

3 Likes

Re: The Origin Of Agbor And The Obi Of Agbor by Nobody: 3:12pm On May 06, 2022
blaqoracle:
Igbo desperately in need of land.

What were they doing when other powerful ancestors were acquiring land? I heard from a benin friend that igbo in Benin, ika, efik, Ijaw, itsekiri are igbon and they walk around in chains

What is igbon
Re: The Origin Of Agbor And The Obi Of Agbor by Akudaisi: 3:14pm On May 06, 2022
onyekabe:
pint of correction it's Mr. Godwin Omahva Omolara grin
Benin don't have much names starting from I and E

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of Agbor And The Obi Of Agbor by Akudaisi: 3:18pm On May 06, 2022
SlyDev:

What were they doing when other powerful ancestors were acquiring land? I heard from a benin friend that igbo in Benin, ika, efik, Ijaw, itsekiri are igbon and they walk around in chains

What is igbon
oga Igbon is a Benin word for slave.
Its not the same meaning with Igbo.
They don't even sound the same unless u just want to start something u can't finish.
Besides Benin no other ethnicity uses that word for slaves.
And besides Ibibio and Igbo no ethnicity in Nigeria bears their ethnic name as their first name or surname.

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of Agbor And The Obi Of Agbor by Nobody: 3:20pm On May 06, 2022
Akudaisi:
oga Igbon is a Benin word for slave.
Its not the same meaning with Igbo.
They don't even sound the same unless u just want to start something u can't finish.
Besides Benin no other ethnicity uses that word for slaves.
And besides Ibibio and Igbo no ethnicity in Nigeria bears their ethnic name as their first name or surname.

Thank you for meaning
Re: The Origin Of Agbor And The Obi Of Agbor by Akudaisi: 3:21pm On May 06, 2022
SlyDev:

Thank you for meaning
at your service
Re: The Origin Of Agbor And The Obi Of Agbor by GumGum: 1:17pm On May 07, 2022
aribisala0:
You are dry, uninteresting, empty, ignorant and obnoxious

In short a waste of space and time

Like I said the world is full of fools with opinions
You are entitled to your opinions

DId anyone ask you for a lecture on ethnicity or Nationality?

Yet you say someone likes arguing.
I am sure you will argue with an empty room

Go away

I have been following this thread and you seem not to want to learn, but hang on to falsities.

Have an open mind and be better enlightened.
Re: The Origin Of Agbor And The Obi Of Agbor by Teddyping: 3:35am On May 11, 2022
Na you suppose shut up.. bastard impersonator or dash you Ika .maybe you from igbodo cos Na una dey claim Igbo nonsense
DMerciful:
Keep quiet! I'm from Ika and Igbos are our closest relatives culturally
Re: The Origin Of Agbor And The Obi Of Agbor by Teddyping: 3:38am On May 11, 2022
Na Ogun go kee your papa.. bastard Igbo propagandists, trying to rewrite history...Na to begin kee una one by one for Ika land.. bastard
ThEGodFaThEr137:
Agbor is an Ancient Kingdom. It is originally called Ogwugwunagbor - it means "The Heart of the Fertile Earth" in Igbo. It can also mean a deep crevice or ravine. There are also shrines of Ogwugwu all over Igboland where the Igbo god of the Earth called Ali or Ani is worshipped. Other places referred to as Ogwugwu include Ogwugwunsugbe for Nsugbe at Anambra State. Some of the villages of Agbor are named after the Earth goddess eg Alishimi, Aliobume Alifekede etc
Agbor is from Local history, thousands of years old and came into being at the same time as Bini Kingdom of the Ogiso Dynasty.
The King of Agbor is a First Class Eze. He is referred to as Obi, the title of Kings in West Igbo territories. His fellow Obis include the Obi of Aboh, Obi of Ubulu - Ukwu, Obi of Issele-Ukwu, Obi of Owa to name a few.
Like all Kings of Igbo land, the Obi of Agbor holds an OFO - EZE. Ofo is a Staff of office for Kings and the eldest Male of any Igbo community. It distinguishes the Igbo people from anyother people on Earth.
The Obiship of Agbor like that of Oba of Benin is from father to first son. This leadership by primogeniture can be traced to Igboland were the OKPARA /OKPALA being the first son inherits his fathers OBI and leadership of the homestead. In parts of Ndokwa land and Ikaland the leadership by gerontocracy is evolved to mean OKPARA - UKWU where the eldest Male in the community is King. Primogeniture is when gerontocracy is limited to the Royal Lineage of the particular ruling King.
In the West - Igbo area and beyond , the family of DEI (DEIN) is related to royalty. It is true of Ogwashi - Ukwu, Onitsha, Oguta, Agbor and others.
The language of and culture of Agbor is Igbo and with garnishings of Bini as Agbor is in the fringes of Igbo land and shares boundary with Bini. . THE Agbor belong to the larger tribe called IKA of the Igbo Ethnic Group.
The Obis of Agbor come from the Royal Village of AGBOR - OBI and specifically of the lineage of (Umudei) UMU - DEIN. "Umu " in Igbo means Children therefore Umudei means the Village of the Children of DEIN. In West Igbo areas and beyond Umudei are related to royalty. This is true of Ogwashi - Ukwu, Onitsha, Oguta, Agbor etc.
The immediate past OBI of Agbor is Obi James Obika Ikechukwu, he is the father of the Present King and DEIN of Agbor Obi Benjamin Kiagborekwuzi Ikechukwu.
Victor Wilberforce
Re: The Origin Of Agbor And The Obi Of Agbor by DMerciful(m): 3:50am On May 11, 2022
Run along, you've been noticed
Teddyping:
Na you suppose shut up.. bastard impersonator or dash you Ika .maybe you from igbodo cos Na una dey claim Igbo nonsense

2 Likes

Re: The Origin Of Agbor And The Obi Of Agbor by ThEGodFaThEr137: 7:53am On May 11, 2022
Teddyping:
Na Ogun go kee your papa.. bastard Igbo propagandists, trying to rewrite history...Na to begin kee una one by one for Ika land.. bastard
If you know say them born your useless father and prostitute mother well then mention your location and see if I no go come over and delete you out of this earth cos it seems you're fed up with life. Son of a bit.ch!
Re: The Origin Of Agbor And The Obi Of Agbor by Abagworo(m): 10:38pm On Jun 26, 2022
The reason for continuous misunderstanding in history of Ika and many Igbo speaking communities West of the Niger is the exclusion of Igbo and Ijaw as part of the original Benin kingdom. Many Igbo clans both East and West were once part of Benin Kingdom and following a great war in Benin got dispersed. Ovia in Edo where Okada is located was particularly an Igbo enclave and means Bush. Ovia has no meaning in Edo language other than the river named after him. I've done a thorough study of the Edo-Igbo relationship and it is clear that the Igbo were part of the founders of Benin Kingdom. There was massive outward migrations during the time of Ozolua which made Igbos leave Benin to far away areas. They did not migrate only Eastwards but also Westwards and Northwards of Benin city. Many communities in Etsako were founded by Igbos who migrated out of Benin City and this includes Auchi where Edo Polytechnic is located. I've often wondered how the name Auchi came about sounding Igbo but in truth it was founded by an Igboman Adaobi and his wife Uchi just like a lot of Etsako communities . While little efforts have been made to uncover the truth I have studied the names and history of origin which points exactly to an Igbo direction.
Re: The Origin Of Agbor And The Obi Of Agbor by Nobody: 12:51pm On Dec 31, 2022
Below, the Obi of Agbor in 1935 (Obi Obika Gbenoba)
I think the picture is that of the father or the grand father of the current Obi of Agbor, since his title is hereditary. I don't really understand why someone chose to change the title to "Dein" ...?
Whomever denies the Agbor people are Edo needs his eyes to be examined.

Re: The Origin Of Agbor And The Obi Of Agbor by Nobody: 12:55pm On Dec 31, 2022
Since you guys like to use the argument of "Igbo name therefore Igbo ethnicity". I would have you reminded that Gbenoba is clearly an Edo name and it is the name of the Obi of Agbor from 1935, that is the grand father of the current Obi of Agbor whom you claim has an Igbo name and is "therefore Igbo".
Before you start making claims about the name "Gbenoba", let me tell you that it is the name of one part of my family. A part which any of you would identify as "Bini".

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Boko Haram Attack On UN House: FBI Agents Storm Nigeria / APC Urged To Consider S-south For House Of Reps Speaker / Reps Move To Abolish State, LGA Joint Account

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.