Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,845 members, 7,820,939 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:13 AM

What Exactly Has Fashola Done In Lagos? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Exactly Has Fashola Done In Lagos? (5379 Views)

For My Naijamericans....what Exactly Has Obama Done In 7 Years?!!! / What Has Fashola Really Done? / Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Exactly Has Fashola Done In Lagos? by seunKelz: 8:50am On Jul 25, 2011
You see the problem here oooo, Lagos is it not divided into local governments? One Senator and LGA chairman that was voted or is it selected in,  will go there and be eating the money of his constituency,  they earn millions and siphon the other funds and instead of you to blame them you will go and hold Fashola on the neck,  Now the question why do those idiots exist in those positions,  Pls throw the stone at the appropriate person,  The other day Boko Haram attacked a whole Police HQ, so the President should resign because of that,  Even Bush did  not resign after 9/11,  the question you people shld ask is why is it so comfortable in Nigeria for our senators, LGA chairmen,, Counselors that come out from the same place as we do, forget about given back to the society,  Leave Fashola alone,  hold the thieves in the LGA's first
Re: What Exactly Has Fashola Done In Lagos? by sayso: 9:09am On Jul 25, 2011
I think the answer will be.
Post pictures of Lagos before Fashola took over
Post pictures of the same area now in terms of Infrastructure development.

State any Education problems before Fashola took over
State the current situation now.
and so on and so fort.

Then all will see and know what he did/did not do.
Re: What Exactly Has Fashola Done In Lagos? by lightest(m): 9:14am On Jul 25, 2011
constructed  new roads and bridges, lagos is more cleaner, security is better, pick pocketer has reduced to bear est minimum and so many other things. travel to places like Ogun State, Oyo State, Benin City and so many more then come back and tell us your experience
Re: What Exactly Has Fashola Done In Lagos? by GboyegaD(m): 9:22am On Jul 25, 2011
The guy is overrated and an extreme elitist. He is pursuing areas where people will give him credence and neglecting the grassroot.
Re: What Exactly Has Fashola Done In Lagos? by seunKelz: 9:27am On Jul 25, 2011
GboyegaD:

The guy is overrated and an extreme elitist. He is pursuing areas where people will give him credence and neglecting the grassroot.
Now my question to you, those grassroots, have funds not been allocated to the local govt. to improve there place, those grassroots don't they have senators in the House of Assembly, You cannot blame Fashola for all the underdevelopment in Lagos, because there are people that have been saddled with that responsibility.
Re: What Exactly Has Fashola Done In Lagos? by GboyegaD(m): 9:33am On Jul 25, 2011
seun Kelz:

Now my question to you, those grassroots, have funds not been allocated to the local govt. to improve there place, those grassroots don't they have senators in the House of Assembly, You cannot blame Fashola for all the underdevelopment in Lagos, because there are people that have been saddled with that responsibility.

Have you ever been told that FG does not disburse funds to LG directly? The money comes through the state government and in most cases, the portion of the allocation this chairmen get is the one sufficient to pay their salaries and leave some change for the Local Government chairman to embezzle. The truth is irrespective of where we stay we all pay our tax to the state government provided you work here in Lagos thus, he should be responsible and responsive to our infrastructural needs.
Re: What Exactly Has Fashola Done In Lagos? by seunKelz: 9:37am On Jul 25, 2011
GboyegaD:

Have you ever been told that FG does not disburse funds to LG directly? The money comes through the state government and in most cases, the portion of the allocation this chairmen get is the one sufficient to pay their salaries and leave some change for the Local Government chairman to embezzle. The truth is irrespective of where we stay we all pay our tax to the state government provided you work here in Lagos thus, he should be responsible and responsive to our infrastructural needs.

Yes we pay our tax, and yes he should be responsible to us, but you and I know that with the low checks and balances implemented in this country, Which is also not Fashola's fault, That chairman will rather embezzle the money than do anything for his community. Which is supposed to be his primary responsibility.
Re: What Exactly Has Fashola Done In Lagos? by Delafruita(m): 9:42am On Jul 25, 2011
Fashola is the governor of lagos state which happens to be the most populated state in the country.lagos state has almost double the population of norway,it is more populated than ghana,benin and togo put together.it wouldnt be wrong to view lagos as a country on its own with fashola as its president.the situation of lagos is made worse because hardly can you find partitions between major cities i.e. Almost all the cities are joined thereby making lagos one large city.this situation makes it difficult for gradual development to be noticed.but fashola has done his bes.the situation of lagos is further made worse by the refusal of the federal government to accord lagos special status.a situation in which lagos gets about 6billion as allocation while bayelsa gets 9billion is definitely not right and should be looked into.we know we have the right man in lagos
Re: What Exactly Has Fashola Done In Lagos? by Nobody: 10:02am On Jul 25, 2011
Kobojunkie:

^^^ Marwa did exactly the same, until Tinubu came in and allowed it all come back again. You should have seen Oshodi back during the Marwa years. And I think Mike Aigbe did the very same too. Now, it was not that way back during Jakande and Mudashiru years. Oshodi used to be lovely and the evening market was a beautiful scene back in those days.

As for the @Poster, it is a bit hypocritical to point this at Fashola when you are the very same whose tongue is stuck up Jonathan arse on here.

Fashola is trying but I am not sure that the Head of Area boys AKA Tinubu is giving him a free hand. I preferred Marwa's Lagos than Fashola's Lagos though. The only development I would commend Fashola for is the Bus Rapid Transit - BRT which was long overdue anyway. It's common sense that in heavily populated area, public transport should be given more priority. What happened to direct labour anyway.
Re: What Exactly Has Fashola Done In Lagos? by babyboy3(m): 10:14am On Jul 25, 2011
Well he has done more than the fool that is leading the country
Re: What Exactly Has Fashola Done In Lagos? by AjanleKoko: 10:15am On Jul 25, 2011
He's not doing badly, given the environment we are functioning in.
Of course in Nigeria, everything is below par. But Fashola is at least making an attempt to turn Lagos around. One can't ignore the efforts.
Though there's a bit of a slowdown since the elections, but let's wait and see.
Re: What Exactly Has Fashola Done In Lagos? by Pame(m): 10:27am On Jul 25, 2011
Thank the good Lord for you that you are neither deaf nor blind. It then means that you can see with your naked eyes and hear with possibly if not the two, one of your ears. Then I perceived you should be one those critics of PDP followers who would not see something good in a good polity. Start checking up yourself very well if at this point in time you cannot see nor perceive the various transformation of amiable Gov. BRF , NOT ONLY YOUR INNER OUTER EYES AND EARS ARE NOT FUNCTIONING, YOUR MENTAL FACULTY IS EQUALLY IN TOTAL DERAIL, Then you need divine intervention but not a trained Physician.

HAVE A GREAT DAY!
Re: What Exactly Has Fashola Done In Lagos? by medocity(m): 10:33am On Jul 25, 2011
Naija people, please stop all this unjustified saying about we country cos i see no reason why Gov. Fashola be squandered with words that are not his cos as for me He happen to be The most rated Nigerian Governor as at today for he with the help of Almighty God has turn Lagos into something else, The question is::: Was this the Lagos we use to know, Way back then, You can't differentiate between the main road and the Market square (OSHODI), Please people Give praise to whom it due, I rest my case grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: What Exactly Has Fashola Done In Lagos? by Gbenge77(m): 10:57am On Jul 25, 2011
What a question?
Re: What Exactly Has Fashola Done In Lagos? by Omooba77: 11:22am On Jul 25, 2011
It is good people are factual now. If you live in Lagos and you drive everyday,you will see what we are saying. Even die hard supporters of BRF now understand what we are talking about. Malu Road,Apapa Ajegunle Boundary was done in the 90s,but most of the roads done has late as four months ago are now fill with potholes,wasting our taxes. I heard one of the Commissioners pleading to bear with them until after rain. In actual fact,construction of roads in Lagos should be cheaper than Edo state,where you have to cut down trees.
Re: What Exactly Has Fashola Done In Lagos? by hbrednic: 11:31am On Jul 25, 2011
he planted flowers,
unfortunately the flowers are gone with the lagos flood.
Re: What Exactly Has Fashola Done In Lagos? by naso2(m): 11:47am On Jul 25, 2011
Omooba77:

It is good people are factual now. If you live in Lagos and you drive everyday,you will see what we are saying. Even die hard supporters of BRF now understand what we are talking about. Malu Road,Apapa Ajegunle Boundary was done in the 90s,but most of the roads done has late as four months ago are now fill with potholes,wasting our taxes. I heard one of the Commissioners pleading to bear with them until after rain. In actual fact,construction of roads in Lagos should be cheaper than Edo state,where you have to cut down trees.

You are even talking about malu road, i feel that one is even fair. If you drive down mba road trying to connect OSHODI expressway. That awodiora stretch backing BERGER yard has been dismal for over 3 years now. infact anytime i ply that route I keep asking what exactly people see in this FASHOLA man. Considering the over 400 billion budget of Lagos annually. I can confidently say Fashola is not doing well.
Re: What Exactly Has Fashola Done In Lagos? by abbey621(m): 12:49pm On Jul 25, 2011
I clearly believe that this posting was started by someone very ignorant and confused otherwise how can you even claim such a sentimental statement. Have you traveled outside of Lagos, go to Ogun, Oyo, Delta or Benin even Abia and tell me which of those states look better than Lagos. You've really got 2 be kidding, if you thought one man would magically fix all the problems of Lagos state, Padi stop dreaming! Fashola has done his best and hopefully he'll be able to complete more projects, Fashola's record speaks for itself and needs no support, so goofballs get a life!
Re: What Exactly Has Fashola Done In Lagos? by onemopol: 1:11pm On Jul 25, 2011
^^^^^^

My friend speak for yourself. As for me , Fashola is grossly overhyped. With all what we pay as tax and the massive lagos budget , it is unthinkable that Fashola will not consider clearing/freeing drainages as the rainy season approached. Tell me any part of lagos that is free from massive pot holes as we speak.

People are pained. "eko o ni baje" will surely not take him far until he matches this media hype with commensurate work.
Re: What Exactly Has Fashola Done In Lagos? by PAQ(m): 1:18pm On Jul 25, 2011
Nigerians have received so much sh*t from our leaders to the point when we get peed on we stand up jubilating.

Clean environment, building a couple of roads, mending a few more and implement some policies that ought to have existed in a sane society are still considered as basic. Is this all we can expect from our Leaders? If this is such a feat, then we are as good as Lazarus the begger who depended on bread crumbs.

Fashola, there is still alot to be done.
Re: What Exactly Has Fashola Done In Lagos? by BLECINS(f): 1:23pm On Jul 25, 2011
Fashola has transformed Oshodi  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: What Exactly Has Fashola Done In Lagos? by anamprince(m): 1:33pm On Jul 25, 2011
i say there is an adage that when the body is inflicted the head also feels it. now fashola started the race well, but i guess because he wanted the whole lagosians to give him a nod for his second term bid, eh let's not be tribalistic in this column.
how can you promise what you cannot do, he requested and lagosians gave him his request, now lagosians are asking and people are saying it is too much(sycophants).
during the jakande era taxes were not as pronounced as now but social amenities were being provided for, wHAT fashola has tremendously done is making life habitable for the elite,
somebody made mention of JONATHAN but i tell you that light has improved now since his takeover,
lagos is too rich to be compared with other states who are merely living on one- fifth of what lagos earns has IGR.
Re: What Exactly Has Fashola Done In Lagos? by EkoIle1: 1:35pm On Jul 25, 2011
Y'all can start from here.

Fashola (eko O Ni Baje ) Updates (pics)

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-695873.64.html

Re: What Exactly Has Fashola Done In Lagos? by LeStylo: 1:41pm On Jul 25, 2011
Truth be said:

The rot there was in the system before BRF is extremely unthinkable.

Make a piggy list of the roads you pass by from home to work daily and note the infrastructural upgrade effort before and after BRF. You will agree with me the gentleman has done a yeoman job. Of course, we still want more.

My 1 Naira!
Re: What Exactly Has Fashola Done In Lagos? by abbey621(m): 2:00pm On Jul 25, 2011
@anamprince- you need a reality check also, which kind light improved, just came back 4rm vacationing in Lagos and I tell u it's just as bad as b4, if not worse. Let's not even talk about Jonathan or his goon of members. You said Lagos State makes much more than other states, they also spend much more than other states, the bills incurred by the Lagos state people is massive compared to the other states, you complain of taxes, with the current tax system in Lagos, you people should be jubilating, more taxes are needed to bring Lagos to it's destined status, sales tax on everything from Mr.biggs to the Sandals you buy at the market, that's when you'll truly know what tax is. Fashola is just a man and for the little time he had so far, I say he's a lot better than most of those idiots occupying the same position in other states. Also did I hear someone mention the Marwa or Jakande Era, how many people occupied Lagos then and how many do we have now? Come on people use your brains!
Re: What Exactly Has Fashola Done In Lagos? by Anvaller: 2:53pm On Jul 25, 2011
Now I see the reason the game of politics in Nigeria is interesting to Nigerian politicians. Just feed people with garbage and tell em its cabbage, they will praise ur name to high heavens. After all some governors aint feeding em with nothing. Fashola cleared Oshodi and then, but the question is, how many millions or billions does it cost the government just to chase people away.

Let's talk about the BRT, it is a PPP thing how much exactly is Lagos fund in the project and how much is private investment? What about the so much noised Eko Atlantic project. Lagos government has no financial stake in that project. The only stake is providing an enabling environment for the group of investors.

So the point is, let us thank Fashola for clearing Oshodi, for initiating the BRT, providing an enabling environment for Eko Atlantic developers and to be fair, some more I may not know.

But at the same time, lets ask Fashola where exactly is the raw money in Lagos going? They were talking about the light rail project, is it there now? can someone help me to confirm that? Has the project started? I really like that project when they were talking about it but I don't hear much about it anymore.

It will always be a blatantly wrong conclusion to measure Fashola's performance by comparing it with other states, such juxtaposition is illogical. You measure his performance against economic advantages and disadvantages of Lagos and not with any other state.
Re: What Exactly Has Fashola Done In Lagos? by phantom(m): 3:27pm On Jul 25, 2011
Anvaller:

Now I see the reason the game of politics in Nigeria is interesting to Nigerian politicians. Just feed people with garbage and tell em its cabbage, they will praise your name to high heavens. After all some governors aint feeding em with nothing. Fashola cleared Oshodi and then, but the question is, how many millions or billions does it cost the government just to chase people away.

Let's talk about the BRT, it is a PPP thing how much exactly is Lagos fund in the project and how much is private investment? What about the so much noised Eko Atlantic project. Lagos government has no financial stake in that project. The only stake is providing an enabling environment for the group of investors.

So the point is, let us thank Fashola for clearing Oshodi, for initiating the BRT, providing an enabling environment for Eko Atlantic developers and to be fair, some more I may not know.

But at the same time, lets ask Fashola where exactly is the raw money in Lagos going? They were talking about the light rail project, is it there now? can someone help me to confirm that? Has the project started? I really like that project when they were talking about it but I don't hear much about it anymore.

It will always be a blatantly wrong conclusion to measure Fashola's performance by comparing it with other states, such juxtaposition is illogical. You measure his performance against economic advantages and disadvantages of Lagos and not with any other state.

smartest thing i ve read on nairaland in months,
Re: What Exactly Has Fashola Done In Lagos? by Demdem(m): 4:30pm On Jul 25, 2011
Eko Ile:

Y'all can start from here.

Long overdue. I thought you wont show up.
Fashola in my view has tried so far especially in his first tenure. Lets see how this tenure will go.
Re: What Exactly Has Fashola Done In Lagos? by EkoIle1: 4:39pm On Jul 25, 2011
Anvaller:

This is has got to be the most ignorant and absurd assertion ever.

What advantage are you talking about? The economic advantage for Rivers state is obviously more impressive and advantageous than Lagos state's.

Financially, Rivers state is richer than Lagos state

Budgets-

1. Rivers state's budget for 2011 is 414 billion

419 billion for 2010

432 billion  for 2009

2. Lagos state's budget is

450 for 2011

429 billion for 2010

405 billion for 2009

Population-

1. Rivers state- 5 million

2. Lagos state- 18 million

In 2009, Rivers spent more money than Lagos state, the highest in Nigeria @ 432 billion on just 5 million people.

Please show us what Rivers did with all that money for just 5 million people and let me show you what Lagos did with less on 18 million people. Somebody is obviously stashing money away somewhere or it's just a sad case of lousy administrative and financial management.

With than kind of money, Rivers should be able to do 3 x what Lagos state is doing.

Educate yourself with the necessary facts and figures before spewing your ignorant wrong tales.
Re: What Exactly Has Fashola Done In Lagos? by abbey621(m): 4:50pm On Jul 25, 2011
@Eko Ile- May your days be long. Some people actually believe that one man can do it all, the almighty Obama promised heaven and earth but upon his election he quickly learnt that things weren't that easy. Fashola record speaks for itself, he's not perfect and in no way is he the messiah but after governors upon governors with barely nothing to show in terms of infrastructural planning, this man went back to the books and started implementing the real plan for Lagos, not the Lagos of tout and hoodlums but the Lagos meant to be seen as a magacity, he's not done yet and i believe he still has a few tricks up his sleeves, Eko o ni baaje o!
Re: What Exactly Has Fashola Done In Lagos? by bashydemy(m): 4:50pm On Jul 25, 2011
It's a pity that some people don't know their right from left, some are complaining about about some bad roads meanwhile they don't know the different from state and "Federal someone speak of Malu road and tolu road are those not Federal roads? To my best of knowledge Fashola is the leading Governor in Nigeria for now and his colleagues are saying this everyday, I recollect the last time Governor of Niger State pronounce him as the best Governor. Lagos is filled with people from the whole federation can anyone compare Gbenga Daniels 8yrs to Fashola's 4yrs?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Wike Steps Down, To Pick Senate Form*pic* / Boko Haram: Shocking E-mail Allegedly Sent Byshekau To ICC [must Read] / Amaechi Replies Tony Okocha: "Hunger Will Kill You!"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.