Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,822,003 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:40 AM

Nigerian Legislators On 6 Weeks Recess For Ramadan - Good/Bad? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Legislators On 6 Weeks Recess For Ramadan - Good/Bad? (4349 Views)

Senators, Reps To Embark On 4 Weeks Recess / National Assembly Member With His Feet Up On A Chair During Recess / Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Legislators On 6 Weeks Recess For Ramadan - Good/Bad? by Greenpro: 5:21pm On Aug 02, 2011
They can go forever on holiday.
Re: Nigerian Legislators On 6 Weeks Recess For Ramadan - Good/Bad? by markovnikoff001(m): 5:23pm On Aug 02, 2011
How did we get to this stage of gorvenance where the governed have no say in what the governing do? Because really, there is nothing we do, the disconnect grows ever wider: they raise their allowances, nothing happens; they take loans for no reason, nothing happens; they bloat contract costs, nothing happens; they shut down the legislature for 6 weeks, nothing happens, abi no be democracy we dey run again? Maybe we should concoct a term for the type of government run in Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Legislators On 6 Weeks Recess For Ramadan - Good/Bad? by eridah2007(m): 5:28pm On Aug 02, 2011
[size=30pt]Monkey dey work,Baboon dey chop[/size]
Re: Nigerian Legislators On 6 Weeks Recess For Ramadan - Good/Bad? by Rastamann: 5:31pm On Aug 02, 2011
What have they done since assuming office that they are now going on six weeks break? And am sure that they are going on this break with fat ghana-must-go-naira filled bags. Naija for you!
Re: Nigerian Legislators On 6 Weeks Recess For Ramadan - Good/Bad? by tpia5: 5:31pm On Aug 02, 2011
are more states going to be created so i can have a shot at being a senator.

with the way things are now, there's too much competition and too many candidates.
Re: Nigerian Legislators On 6 Weeks Recess For Ramadan - Good/Bad? by Nobody: 5:32pm On Aug 02, 2011
Greenpro:

And I suppose the suffering masses in Nigeria get to underwrite this protracted hiatus, just like the mugus we are perceived to be?
I am not sure your uncaring let's-cut-the-baby-in-half attitude advances the cause of progress. Ponder over the one again embarassed
Re: Nigerian Legislators On 6 Weeks Recess For Ramadan - Good/Bad? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 5:33pm On Aug 02, 2011
What is important is not what we think about our leaders actions - it will only stay in our heads. What is important is how we act going forward. Do you all realize how many Nigerians a senator's allowances can cater for in a month.? our public officers are barely doing anything new to politics yet we all sit back and think that the FEC meetings are sophisticated problem-solving sessions. these dolts have barely enough intelligence to pass GCE without preparing for it in advance - yet they their sentimental decisions control our lives. I am not sure who to blame now - the useless dolts running Nigeria or the Nigerians who sit back as if the hot charcoal on their backs have no effect  angry
Re: Nigerian Legislators On 6 Weeks Recess For Ramadan - Good/Bad? by BigMeat2: 5:36pm On Aug 02, 2011
I never knew they are even in the National Assembly.
Most of the time the 2 chambers are barely full, seems they're on holiday all of the time.
The only times the chambers are full is when they're debating about how to increase their allowances.

What about other moslems fasting and working at the same time - are they different from them.

Bunch of lazy dimwits. Why are we always getting it wrong with useless elected representatives.
Re: Nigerian Legislators On 6 Weeks Recess For Ramadan - Good/Bad? by sammirano: 5:37pm On Aug 02, 2011
Greenpro:

we can't miss them on seat forever. I will go with that
Re: Nigerian Legislators On 6 Weeks Recess For Ramadan - Good/Bad? by Nobody: 5:37pm On Aug 02, 2011
Has anyone ever received a response from this email address: senatecontact@nass.gov.ng
I ask because all our senators appear to share this account
Re: Nigerian Legislators On 6 Weeks Recess For Ramadan - Good/Bad? by markovnikoff001(m): 5:38pm On Aug 02, 2011
Now does this not expose our leaders as two-faced bu.ffons who have no conviction whatsover? When Sanusi powered up the motion for Islamic Banking , they were vehement in their refusal, even asking him to come and defend the idea behind the banking method, all because the word " Islamic" was involved. I ask, is "Ramaddan" not of the Muslims? Why are the Christian legislators not saying anything about the 6 week break for a "Muslim event"? Oh I know why-they are on a flight to the Solomon Islands to chop some money with not a few concubines in tow.
Re: Nigerian Legislators On 6 Weeks Recess For Ramadan - Good/Bad? by reindeer: 5:44pm On Aug 02, 2011
Can GEJ please follow them and go on a four-year recess? No one will miss the snail too!
He should go and let someone with ideas like Aunty Ngozi to run the economy.
Re: Nigerian Legislators On 6 Weeks Recess For Ramadan - Good/Bad? by tpia5: 5:47pm On Aug 02, 2011
The only times the chambers are full is when they're debating about how to increase their allowances

isnt that important?
Re: Nigerian Legislators On 6 Weeks Recess For Ramadan - Good/Bad? by kaze4blues(m): 5:48pm On Aug 02, 2011
Bunch of thieves, god go punish dem
Re: Nigerian Legislators On 6 Weeks Recess For Ramadan - Good/Bad? by Nobody: 5:49pm On Aug 02, 2011
Big Meat:

I never knew they are even in the National Assembly.
Most of the time the 2 chambers are barely full, seems they're on holiday all of the time.
The only times the chambers are full is when they're debating about how to increase their allowances.

What about other moslems fasting and working at the same time - are they different from them.

Bunch of lazy dimwits. Why are we always getting it wrong with useless elected representatives.

There is nothing unusual about taking time away from the chambers in order to work on constituency matters.
This happens all the time in saner climes, where elected officials are actually held accountable.

The problem, here, is not only are our legislators going to be away from the Houses of Assembly, their local constituents also won't have access to them during for a period of 6 weeks.

@OP, do provide a link we can all reference.
Re: Nigerian Legislators On 6 Weeks Recess For Ramadan - Good/Bad? by jmaine: 5:51pm On Aug 02, 2011
Am Sure the recess will be accompanied with a bounty Ramadan Allawee  angry . . .
Re: Nigerian Legislators On 6 Weeks Recess For Ramadan - Good/Bad? by selingel: 5:56pm On Aug 02, 2011
Let us all be objective, on issues.
Sanusi is about starting Islamic banking system, and some people protested, while others shouted them down. Now, I strongly want to believe, this is one of the reasons people shouted at the top of their voices against Islamic bank, and not Islamic banking system itself. Are we not heading towards Islamising this nation (when policies like dis begin to trek into our laws)? How can the house go on six (6) weeks break, even when they all wake up in the morning to feed themselves full? Okay, wont NASS do same, when the Christians are fasting too? Remember, theirs is 40 days, so, who will suffer during this period, just as it is about to happen now? Remember, their colleagues in US, worked over the weekend to get something good out for Americans. So, what is happening in Nigeria, religious-wise?
Re: Nigerian Legislators On 6 Weeks Recess For Ramadan - Good/Bad? by Hambolaj01(m): 5:58pm On Aug 02, 2011
I reserve my comment
Re: Nigerian Legislators On 6 Weeks Recess For Ramadan - Good/Bad? by Hambolaj01(m): 6:00pm On Aug 02, 2011
selingel:

Let us all be objective, on issues.
Sanusi is about starting Islamic banking system, and some people protested, while others shouted them down. Now, I strongly want to believe, this is one of the reasons people shouted at the top of their voices against Islamic bank, and not Islamic banking system itself. Are we not heading towards Islamising this nation (when policies like dis begin to trek into our laws)? How can the house go on six (6) weeks break, even when they all wake up in the morning to feed themselves full? Okay, wont NASS do same, when the Christians are fasting too? Remember, theirs is 40 days, so, who will suffer during this period, just as it is about to happen now? Remember, their colleagues in US, worked over the weekend to get something good out for Americans. So, what is happening in Nigeria, religious-wise?

Why can't you at least for once comment on issues without being religiously sentimental?
Re: Nigerian Legislators On 6 Weeks Recess For Ramadan - Good/Bad? by Yeske2(m): 6:03pm On Aug 02, 2011
Why the brouhaha over nothing, atleast we voted them in didn't we? We too complain 4 Naija sef?
Re: Nigerian Legislators On 6 Weeks Recess For Ramadan - Good/Bad? by Nobody: 6:11pm On Aug 02, 2011
Yeske!:

Why the brouhaha over nothing, atleast we voted them in didn't we? We too complain 4 Naija sef?

Let's assume we voted some of them in?
Are you saying we are not duty bound as upright citizens to monitor their excesses?

I shudder at this kind of reasoning that stands logic on its head. angry
Re: Nigerian Legislators On 6 Weeks Recess For Ramadan - Good/Bad? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 6:24pm On Aug 02, 2011
eGuerrilla:

Let's assume we voted some of them in?
Are you saying we are not duty bound as upright citizens to monitor their excesses?

I shudder at this kind of reasoning that stands logic on its head. angry

grin grin grin he was just being sarcastic - but seriously our duty as citizens goes beyond monitoring or saying something. we must do something about it otherwise we are just arm-chair activists - who talk a lot and do nothing. Nigerians have said a lot and aired their protests as far back as i can remember, I doubt that has influenced the decisions of our elected leaders positively. they do whatever they please and we just monitor and rain curses. most simply go back to work
Re: Nigerian Legislators On 6 Weeks Recess For Ramadan - Good/Bad? by Nobody: 6:50pm On Aug 02, 2011
lagerwhenindoubt:

grin grin grin he was just being sarcastic - but seriously our duty as citizens goes beyond monitoring or saying something. we must do something about it otherwise we are just arm-chair activists - who talk a lot and do nothing. Nigerians have said a lot and aired their protests as far back as i can remember, I doubt that has influenced the decisions of our elected leaders positively. they do whatever they please and we just monitor and rain curses. most simply go back to work 

I read nonchalance, a sense of hopeless, defeatism much more than I do sarcasm.
This is perfectly understandable to a point, as the average Nigerian youth has been bruised, battered and scarred permanently.

My worry is that such thinking eventually crystallizes into atrophy,  even when it is so clear that power concedes nothing without a struggle.
Re: Nigerian Legislators On 6 Weeks Recess For Ramadan - Good/Bad? by PastorOla1: 7:01pm On Aug 02, 2011
Let Government close shop too.
Re: Nigerian Legislators On 6 Weeks Recess For Ramadan - Good/Bad? by Nobody: 7:41pm On Aug 02, 2011
Nigeria is a secular state, if legislators get 6weeks recess for Ramadan, shouldn't they also get a recess for the christain lent too. Seriously are we serious in this country. this is just embarassing. we need a peaceful revolution
Re: Nigerian Legislators On 6 Weeks Recess For Ramadan - Good/Bad? by seguno2: 7:41pm On Aug 02, 2011
How many of the hard working 150m Nigerians earn crazy fat remunerations for bench-warming like these loafing legisLOOTERS and still gets six week recess
yet they are spending our hard earned taxes, VAT, levies and whatever they collect from companies and oil industry on our collective names shocked

And this crazy system will continue as long as we keep thinking of individual hope for a "breakthrough", which usually means a chance to run away from 9ja or to be in a place where we can get our own share of the national cake.
Btw, did the progressive ACN and CPC legislators object to going on recess?
And how many of us know our Reps, Senators and state legislators names and contact addresses and phone numbers?
If we do we should be writing them petitions on issues like this.
Re: Nigerian Legislators On 6 Weeks Recess For Ramadan - Good/Bad? by tpia5: 7:42pm On Aug 02, 2011
imo, public servants should be harder working than their constituents.
Re: Nigerian Legislators On 6 Weeks Recess For Ramadan - Good/Bad? by Aderupoko2: 7:43pm On Aug 02, 2011
They have always been on recess.Not only the Holy month of Ramadan,let them join the Holy month of September down to the Holy month of December and resume in January,shhiooor
Re: Nigerian Legislators On 6 Weeks Recess For Ramadan - Good/Bad? by selingel: 7:44pm On Aug 02, 2011
Hambolaj01:

Why can't you at least for once comment on issues without being religiously sentimental?

Maybe I am blind. Please can someone read the topic again to my ears? I read, "Ramadan" and "six weeks recess" in the post. Is the recess not religously motivatd? My guy attend to issues, and dont divert. I hope, I didnt sound insulting?
Re: Nigerian Legislators On 6 Weeks Recess For Ramadan - Good/Bad? by member479760: 8:56pm On Aug 02, 2011
if present = 0;
and absent = 0;
then what we have is
present = absent.
Re: Nigerian Legislators On 6 Weeks Recess For Ramadan - Good/Bad? by Remii(m): 8:59pm On Aug 02, 2011
eGuerrilla:

@OP, do provide a link we can all reference.

The news got better attention on radio and TV but you see bold portion of the following link from Tribune.

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/25853-jonathan-forwards-names-of-nominees-for-rec-icpc

Jonathan forwards names of nominees for REC, ICPC
| Print | E-mail
Written by Ayodele Adesanmi, Abuja
Friday, 29 July 2011

President Goodluck Jonathan, on Thursday, forwarded the name of Mr Francis Ugochukwu as chairman of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) to the Senate for consideration, just as he forwarded five names for confirmation as members of the commission.

He equally forwarded an eight-member list which cut across the six geopolitical zones for confirmation as Resident Electoral Commissioners (REC).

This came as the Senate commenced a 32-day recess, expected to resume plenary on Tuesday, September 13.

The nominees for the ICPC include: Alhaji Abdullahi Ado Bayero (North-West), Alhaji Isa Ozi Salami (North-Central), Ekpo Una Owo Nta (South-South), Professor Olu Aina (South-West), Dame Julie Onum-Nwariaku (South-East).

The president, in his letter addressed to the Senate on the appointment into the ICPC said, “Section 3(3) of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Act 2000 provides that the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission shall consist of a chairman and 12 other members, two of whom shall come from each of the six geopolitical zones. In this connection, there are vacancies in the composition of the commission.

“I have therefore, in the exercise of the powers conferred on me by section 3 (6) of the Corrupt Practices and Other Related Act, 2000, decided to appoint the following members of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission.

He reminded the senate that Mr Francis Ugochukwu Elechi’s name had earlier been forwarded for confirmation as chairman of the commission, noting that it is my hope that, “the chairmanship nominee will be considered along with the above listed five nominees.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: Nigerian Legislators On 6 Weeks Recess For Ramadan - Good/Bad? by tpia5: 9:22pm On Aug 02, 2011
oh well, who said nigeria isnt sweet.

hopefully my turn will come when they create some more states.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Say what? Of red mudders and brown roofers. Same coin different sides. / Adeosun In Full NYSC Uniform As She Joins Buhari To Welcome German Chancellor? / Efcc To Disqualify 54 Pdp Aspirants

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.