Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,288 members, 7,815,497 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:27 PM

What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! (15084 Views)

First Black Man To Make A Grade Point Average Of 3.98 Out Of 4.0 Is Nigerian!!! / World’s Second-longest Ruling Monarch Is Nigerian / Why Is Nigerian Society So Damn Corrupt? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by Nobody: 5:32am On Aug 05, 2011
Okay ok, k grin grin grin

If you can say someone looks Igbo, Hausa, Yoruba, how do you know who looks Nigerian seriously given the already many looks or are all those looks only among Nigerians?
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by kandiikane(m): 5:34am On Aug 05, 2011
Ok, now this is stu[i]pi[/i]d. .If you see someone looks Igbo would you not think the person is Nigerian, is it not the igbo look that makes the person look nigerian. .Use your head dammit. .
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by Nobody: 5:43am On Aug 05, 2011
kandiikane:

Ok, now this is stu[i]pi[/i]d. .If you see someone looks Igbo would you not think the person is Nigerian, is it not the igbo look that makes the person look nigerian. .Use your head dammit. .

How do explain kids of Igbo+Hausa, Igbo+Yoruba, Hausa+Yoruba, Ijaw+Igbo, Ekif+Yoruba, Yoruba+TIV?

Seriously the nigerian look is a fallacy, How will you honestly explain the looks of the above? hahahahaha

Sister sister, your statement turned me into a bubble of joke now am about to burst into laughter hahahahahahahahahahahhahahaahahahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahahahah
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by kandiikane(m): 5:49am On Aug 05, 2011
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-653669.0.html

@9jaganja, see if you can see how many faces look similar depending on where they are from. .

I am not here to have an a stu[i]p[/i]id argument with you. . Still can get it through your head. .If an igbo and hausa have a child, will that child not take atleast traits from both of them and won't you think they are Nigeria if they take the traits that are commonly found in many Igbos or Hausas?

You are become senseless at each post. .
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by tpia5: 5:50am On Aug 05, 2011
9jaganja:

How do explain kids of Igbo+Hausa, Igbo+Yoruba, Hausa+Yoruba, Ijaw+Igbo, Ekif+Yoruba, Yoruba+TIV?

Seriously the nigerian look is a fallacy, How will you honestly explain the looks of the above? hahahahaha

Sister sister, your statement turned me into a bubble of joke now am about to burst into laughter hahahahahahahahahahahhahahaahahahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahahahah

^^i think i know why you started the thread.

some people are offended by the idea of a nigerian look for various reasons which wont be discussed here.

sorry oh- i'd suggest you tell your friends to go to the exact hometowns of their nigerian associates and be absorbed there.

and those of you who feel you're too biracial looking to be nigerian, deal with it or what do you want people to tell you.
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by tpia5: 5:53am On Aug 05, 2011
@ 9jaganja

check this thread on hausa girls, if you havent seen it already. I also commented on the fact that they still look nigerian, there:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-440262.0.html
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by kandiikane(m): 5:54am On Aug 05, 2011
So are you saying that it is only Nigeria that has no look but all the other countries do? You are stupid a Nigerian cannot identify his fellow countryman. .

What about somalia, Senegal, Gambia? Go study. .Rubbish
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by dayokanu(m): 5:55am On Aug 05, 2011
The guys picture i posted is Blake Griffin of the LA clippers
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by tpia5: 5:56am On Aug 05, 2011

did you not learn about dominant and recessive genes in high school biology?

ten mixtures does not mean you cant come out looking like one particular group.
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by kandiikane(m): 5:58am On Aug 05, 2011
and those of you who feel you're too biracial looking to be nigerian, deal with it or what do you want people to tell you.

I believe he wants us to confirm to him that he has a white ancestor because he has  yellow skin (which I even doubt without evidence. .so there is no "certain looks" to nigerians.

@9jaganja, check my profile picture, your skin pass that girl in the picture?
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by tpia5: 5:58am On Aug 05, 2011
Dominance in genetics is a relationship between two variant forms (alleles) of a single gene, in which one allele masks the expression of the other in influencing some trait. In the simplest case, if a gene exists in two allelic forms (A & B), three combinations of alleles (genotypes) are possible: AA, AB, and BB. If AB individuals (heterozygotes) show the same form of the trait (phenotype) as AA individuals (homozygotes), and BB homozygotes show an alternative phenotype, allele A is said to dominate or be dominant to allele B, and B is said to be recessive to A.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominance_(genetics)

Which trait is dominant?The terms dominant and recessive refer to the interaction of alleles in producing the phenotype of the heterozygote. If there are two alternative phenotypes, by definition the phenotype exhibited by the heterozygote is called "dominant" and the "hidden" phenotype is called "recessive." The key concept of dominance is that the heterozygote is phenotypically identical to one of the two homozygotes. That trait corresponding to the dominant allele may then be called the 'dominant' trait.

Dominance is a genotypic relationship between alleles, as manifested in the phenotype. It is unrelated to the nature of the phenotype itself, e.g., whether it is regarded as 'normal or abnormal,' 'standard or nonstandard,' 'healthy or diseased,' 'stronger or weaker,' or 'more or less' extreme.

Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by tpia5: 6:00am On Aug 05, 2011
i believe he wants us to confirm to him that he has a white ancestor because he has  yellow skin

good for him.

i already told him no wahala if he has no idea where his features are from.
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by dayokanu(m): 6:02am On Aug 05, 2011
Kandikane,

Can you post what a Sierra leonean looks like

The Salone look
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by kandiikane(m): 6:03am On Aug 05, 2011
dayokanu:

Kandikane,

Can you post what a Sierra leonean looks like

The Salone look
look in my profile. .
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by Nobody: 6:34am On Aug 05, 2011
V
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by exotik: 6:34am On Aug 05, 2011
i always wondered how the nazi germans were easily able to identify 3million(?) jews and wiped them from the surface of the earth even though both groups look the same to me as an outsider.

and i always wondered how the hutus were easily able to identify and massacred the tutsi in the rwanda genocide even though both groups look the same to me as an outsider.

oh, and i always wondered how nigerians were easily able to identify ghanaians and sent them packing during the ghana must go era even though ive seen a lot of people who had the "nigerian look" in ghana, togo and benin republic and they were NOT nigerians
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by Nobody: 6:37am On Aug 05, 2011
exotik:

i always wondered how the nazi germans were easily able to identify 3million(?) jews and wiped them from the surface of the earth even though both groups look the same to me as an outsider.

and i always wondered how the hutus were easily able to identify and massacred the tutsi in the rwanda genocide even though both groups look the same to me as an outsider.

oh, and i always wondered how nigerians were easily able to identify ghanaians and sent them packing during the ghana must go era even though ive seen a lot of people who had the "nigerian look" in ghana, togo and benin republic and they were NOT nigerians

I've always wondered too!!
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by Nobody: 6:42am On Aug 05, 2011
J
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by tpia5: 7:54am On Aug 05, 2011
what's white coloured hair?

sounds like you have an albinism trait imo.
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by tpia5: 7:55am On Aug 05, 2011
exotik:

so you're saying you dont know how your own people look either.

as per ghana, i myself have always wondered how they knew the difference between ghanaians and nigerians when they sent us packing in the 60s.
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by Nobody: 8:17am On Aug 05, 2011
tpia@:

what's white coloured hair?

sounds like you have an albinism trait imo.

lol, I hate calling it grey hair hahahahaha makes me feel old!!!
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by exotik: 8:20am On Aug 05, 2011
wot im saying is clear there is nothing like a "nigerian look" but when groups spend so much time with each other they begin to think they look different but to the outsider they all look the same.

if there is a "nigerian look" then there must be a "ghanaian look", "togolese look" etc but an oyinbo cannot tell a nigerian from a ghanaian and even south africans for africa here cannot tell a nigerian from a ghanaian. 

in fact to make matters worse oyinbo people think all black people look alike and dats how they see us. and me personally i dont see the difference between a german and an english person based on their looks
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by tpia5: 8:21am On Aug 05, 2011
9jaganja:

lol, I hate calling it grey hair hahahahaha makes me feel old!!!

^^not sure i catch your drift.

grey hair isnt "supposed" to be recessive though i'll look it up.

factors that can contribute to grey hair in young people include stress, family propensity, or maybe medication/illness.

also, sometimes age of one or more parent.
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by tpia5: 8:26am On Aug 05, 2011
@ exotik

so you're saying people's eyes are deceiving them when they see the various looks common to different areas.

and why do you assume all whites dont know the different looks in africa?

i just finished reading a book where the white author described ijaw or some of the coastal women and what they look like.

this was from over a century ago. Maybe that knowledge has been lost?
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by exotik: 8:39am On Aug 05, 2011
those who have taken time to study the people or live with them are those who claim they see the differences but how many oyinbo people take time to study africans? the average oyibo does not know and cant tell shyte.

and why do you assume all whites dont know the different looks in africa?

if they could tell,  den nigerians wont be using fake kpali of other countries to easily enter their countries.
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by kandiikane(m): 1:15pm On Aug 05, 2011
9jaganja:

oh and Kandi kane, tell that $10 weave wearing ashi that I can give her my white coloured hair when I'm ready to cut it but hey, she may need to dye it though!!! hahahaha

@tpia genetics is never conclusive. Some genes that are suppose to be recessive sometimes spring up out of no where.

My mom doesn't have green eyes neither does my dad but me and my sis have green eyes! Same way me, grandma, sis and mom have white coloured hair!!! But isn't it suppose to be recessive?

I'm still going to be stubborn with you lol!!!

Idi[i]o[/i]t, can you not tell you are albino. .lmao, Arrow. . White colour hair? Ew, you have got a disgusting look. . I knew it, you do not have biracial skin or black "paw paw" skin, you have albino skin. .
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by Nobody: 1:50pm On Aug 05, 2011
exotik:

wot im saying is clear there is nothing like a "nigerian look" but when groups spend so much time with each other they begin to think they look different but to the outsider they all look the same.

if there is a "nigerian look" then there must be a "ghanaian look", "togolese look" etc but an oyinbo cannot tell a nigerian from a ghanaian and even south africans for africa here cannot tell a nigerian from a ghanaian. 

in fact to make matters worse oyinbo people think all black people look alike and dats how they see us. and me personally i dont see the difference between a german and an english person based on their looks

There is indeed a Ghanaian look. If oyinbos cannot tell us apart, it doesn't mean we shouldn't have this perception abilities. Who else should know us better than ourselves? I'm sure our ancestors did so to know who's from their clan or not. It's just getting to know your surroundings.
I can assure you that there are people who have lived in Europe that can tell an English man from a German man.
If you watch ANTM (next top model), there are sometimes references to girls who spot the European look in America.
There is also the African look. grin It's not a bad thing at all.

9jaganja:

Seriously the nigerian look is a fallacy,   How will you honestly explain the looks of the above? hahahahaha

It's only people that has been inculcated in the West that are crazy about talking about mix. I'm mixed with this or that, very annoying if you ask me. In Nigeria you take on your father's side, every other thing is just every other thing. cheesy Growing up in Nigeria, I can say I never heard of my mates whose parents intermarried going on about how they is mixed with this or that. They tell you straight up they are what their fathers tribes are.
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by kandiikane(m): 2:06pm On Aug 05, 2011
^^I agree, just like many Africans can identify someone from somewhere, Many europeans also can identify who is from where. . The german look is said to be blonde hair, pale skin, cheekbones and pointed nosed(teutonic features)-This look is not just designated to germans and there are people in germany with strong features , brown hair/black hair but a white person who is use to germans will get use to the facial features and will be able to see a german and tell a german . .See that guy that bombed and shot those people. .Typical german face. .If you have watched the movie "jerusalem" with orlando bloom  one of the guy in there is made to be german, typical german features. .

There has always been a recognition among various ethnic groups of people that certain groups have characteristic facial features.
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by Nobody: 2:17pm On Aug 05, 2011
^^^I thought the guy's Norwegian. But true he has the European look.
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by kandiikane(m): 2:29pm On Aug 05, 2011
He is but that is what I mean although he is norwegian he has that look that many relate to german. .Just giving an example of how one could look from a certain area(because of how many are seen with that type of look in that area) but turns out to be from somewhere different. .
I might be wrong but looking at eitreans and somalis(they have some similar features) but I believe Eritrean tend to be more lighter and have thick curlier hair than many somalis(Somalis skintone tend to range between brown, light brown, red or golden brown). . Ethiopians look a bit different from somalis. .
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by exotik: 2:39pm On Aug 05, 2011
im not saying it is a bad thing, but the average person who is an outsider cannot really tell who is who.

and if there is indeed a “ghanian look”, nigerians would easily get caught when they use ghanaians passports with dubious ghanaian names to travel or vice versa

and i feel our ancestors identified and differentiated themselves based on cultural practices – language, religion, tribal marks etc, and not based on looks and phenotype.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by kandiikane(m): 2:53pm On Aug 05, 2011
Well now I guess many who study features can tell who is apparently from somewhere. Since these days, there are not that much tribal markings animistic religions etc etc people now identify by looks.  . It is no biggie. . Many people can identify Nigerians because of there dominance in an area. .i.e hackney in london if you have lived with and seen many Nigerians you can identify one if you go to a different area. .

Many people cannot identify Sierra leoneans, Gambians or Senegalese because people don't look at those countries but when I spot one in the streets I try to hear them speak and most of the time  they are what I first thought. . . .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Emerging Evidence Japanese Originated In Benin -by Attorney Patryk Utulu (USA) / Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 / Watch White Choir Sing Yoruba Carol.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.