Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,750 members, 7,820,587 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:42 PM

Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin (8105 Views)

FG To Remove State Of Origin / Numbers Of Federal Workers By State Of Origin-- Bureau Of Public Service / Opinion: Our Government Should Remove "STATE OF ORIGIN" In Filling Forms (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by Nobody: 12:39pm On Aug 08, 2011
PointB:

I think if they believe you can do better than Rochas, they will give u the support.
Yes they must support me afterall we are one southerners Nigerians ! Wetin okorocha dey do wey me no fit do ?
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by PointB: 12:47pm On Aug 08, 2011
^^^^
Do you have a manifesto yet?

I'll give you a tip. They already are enjoying 'free and compulsory education'
If you can guarantee 'free' health care, and gainful employment, with less tax, you do stand a chance!
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 12:50pm On Aug 08, 2011
Pres Jo knows wat he is doing after all. Dat one Nigeria na him we dey now. lollz grin grin
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by Nobody: 12:57pm On Aug 08, 2011
PointB:

^^^^
Do you have a manifesto yet?

I'll give you a tip. They already are enjoying 'free and compulsory education'
If you can guarantee 'free' health care, and gainful employment, with less tax, you do stand a chance!

I will do better than okorocha.what i just need is the support of my ibo brothers since i will be contesting under ACN.
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by DeepSight(m): 12:59pm On Aug 08, 2011
9jaganja said -

The only way to unite us is by protecting all the identities and making it mandatory to become one with host tribe so an Hausa man can be Yoruba if he lives in Yoruba land, An Igbo man will be Hausa if he lives in kano etc, This is how you can unite the nation not by committing cultural genocide!!

Funny thing is despite arguing vociferously against the idea, you fail to recognise that your statement in this quote exactly supports the idea and is the very same thing as the idea espouses.

Funny.
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by kofoshi: 12:59pm On Aug 08, 2011
Interesting how majority of those trumping this useless bill are the ibos.

Of course, those who do not have a place they proudly call theirs would want to jump and claim other people's land.

This is a bill that would fail, fail, it must! No okoro would come and preside over Lagos, tufiakwa!
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by DeepSight(m): 1:01pm On Aug 08, 2011
kofoshi:

No okoro would come and preside over Lagos, tufiakwa!

But you have no problems with the fact that most of the major infrastructure in Lagos was built with Oil boom funds, eh?

Come on. Drop the tribalistic garb. Its meaningless.
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by NegroNtns(m): 1:02pm On Aug 08, 2011
Bad ides! Bad idea!! Bad idea!!!

Is the constitution also going to stipulate the limitations?

Given an example of a Ijaw becoming governor in Anambra state. What stops the governor from creating policies that impact employment and land ownership rights in favor of Ijaws in Anambra state?

If the constitution doesn't address that then this idea will create grounds for more corruption. If the constitution addresses that then that's too intrusive and its not the purpose of a constitution.

So I know everyone is at moment saying its a good idea but you will all look bak five years from now and start cursing Gej.

Pause for a moment and get away from your land grab mentality.

Let's think deep about the impacts, what's dos and what's donts and how it will be addressed.
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by kofoshi: 1:05pm On Aug 08, 2011
Deep Sight:

But you have no problems with the fact that most of the major infrastructure in Lagos was built with Oil boom funds, eh?

Come on. Drop the tribalistic garb. Its meaningless.

Really? How so? Do you have the proof to support that claim?
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 1:07pm On Aug 08, 2011
^^ Are u a Lagosian or a theif trying to claim wat Nigerians together from far and wide built with their wealth. Thief! Ole!
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by DeepSight(m): 1:10pm On Aug 08, 2011
kofoshi:

Really? How so? Do you have the proof to support that claim?

Dont make me laugh. What city was the Federal capital during the 1970s oil boom. What funds constructed the major infrastructure in Lagos, such as the International Airport, the National Stadium, the national Theatre, the expansion of the Lagos Port, the 2nd and 3rd mainland bridges, the principal expressways, the whole of Lagos Island, Ikoyi and Victoria Island.

Federal funds. And that was oil money.

Look, it is tiresome to hear all this tribalistic talk expecially regarding Lagos. It is the former Federal Capital and as such there was massive FEDERAL INVESTMENT in it. Denying that is simply playing teh Ostrich.
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by Nobody: 1:11pm On Aug 08, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Bad ides! Bad idea!! Bad idea!!!  

Is the constitution also going to stipulate the limitations?

Given an example of a Ijaw becoming governor in Anambra state. What stops the governor from creating policies that impact employment and land ownership rights in favor of Ijaws in Anambra state?  

If the constitution doesn't address that then this idea will create grounds for more corruption. If the constitution addresses that then that's too intrusive and its not the purpose of a constitution.

So I know everyone is at moment saying its a good idea but you will all look bak five years from now and start cursing Gej.

Pause for a moment and get away from your land grab mentality.

Let's think deep about the impacts, what's dos and what's donts and how it will be addressed.  

Don't waste your time thinking over the bill or taking it serious,it's a huge joke.D you actually think an hausa/fulani will allow a yoruba or ibo to rule them ? Can't you see what they are doing to southerners in the north just to frustrate them out of their regions ? The consequence of this bill if passed will be worse than our present situation !
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by Senatorkolade: 1:11pm On Aug 08, 2011
Why are we always myopic in our approach to issues?
Removing the State of Origin is tantamount to collapsing the federal character. I bet it, the amendment as good as it appear will be abused by these Hausas. Despite the present arrangement now, these Hausas still skew the appointments, employment and promotions towards their side. If an Hausa man becomes the President today and he want to make any appointment, you will see that if he want appoint anybody from a southern state,Let say Anambra, he may appoint one Alhaji Garba who has been living in Anambra for ten years.
Besides, all these amendments this Jonathan is proposing are irrelevant. Resource control is there, fiscal federalism is there, increase in oil derivation to Niger Delta is there. Jonathan is not thinking towards that. Thses Boko Haramists want to capture Aso Villa by all means because there is too much money there. If there is a resource control or true federalism, all these "born to rule" crusaders will only be interested in becoming the governor of Bornu or Adamawa or Kano.
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by DeepSight(m): 1:13pm On Aug 08, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Are you aware that there are Nigerians occupying political positions in the United States and Britain.

Is it not absurd that we can naturalize and occuppy government positions in such far off countries and yet we cannot do so right here within out own country. Does that make sense to you?
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by NegroNtns(m): 1:15pm On Aug 08, 2011
We don't care whose money was used. You need to go sue British for making Lagos the capital and then you sue Azikiwe for not removing it to somewherelse after Independence

That's not Lagosians problem that you left the capital here. You had the choice to relocate it and you did not.

So that's your loss! Tell Gej to move capital from Abuja to SE. You have the oportunity now while your man us the president. What r you waiting for?
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by DeepSight(m): 1:16pm On Aug 08, 2011
Senatorkolade:

Why are we always myopic in our approach to issues?
Removing the State of Origin is tantamount to collapsing the federal character.

Nobody is "removing" state of origin per se. It cannot ever be removed. What is being done is simply to affirm the right of every Nigerian to naturalize with full legal rights whereever he resides in Nigeria.

If we can naturalize even in foreign countries and become full citizens of such countries, why can we not naturalize in our places of residence within our very own country? Think about that friend.
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 1:16pm On Aug 08, 2011
I am very much in support of an Hausa or Yoruba or Efik etc holding Offices in Igboland for as long as they reside their as a permanent residence. God knows, that i will vote for dem to be Gov if they are the best and will improve all our life's.
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by DeepSight(m): 1:19pm On Aug 08, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

We don't care whose money was used. You need to go sue British for making Lagos the capital and then you sue Azikiwe for not removing it to somewherelse after Independence

That's not Lagosians problem that you left the capital here. You had the choice to relocate it and you did not.

So that's your loss! Tell Gej to move capital from Abuja to SE. You have the oportunity now while your man us the president. What r you waiting for?

Lol, keep decieving yourself. Oya, na your land, carry am for ya head, go keep am for your wardrobe now?

Reality: Lagos is a melting pot for Nigeria, having been the Federal Capital for almost a century.

This does nothing to take away the pride of the original native Isale-Eko indigene. That pride remains forever.

Get your mind away from the tribalistic trajectory son.
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by NegroNtns(m): 1:22pm On Aug 08, 2011
<quote>

Are you aware that there are Nigerians occupying political positions in the United States and Britain.

</quote>

. . . . .And
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by Nobody: 1:23pm On Aug 08, 2011
Bliss4Lyfe:

I am very much in support of an Hausa or Yoruba or Efik etc holding Offices in Igboland for as long as they reside their as a permanent residence. God knows, that i will vote for dem to be Gov if they are the best and will improve all our life's.

And you think they won't spread their almajirism and boko haramism on ibo people ?
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by Senatorkolade: 1:24pm On Aug 08, 2011
My concern is the abuse by these Hausas. They will definitely abuse it to favour the North in appointments and employment. Hausas always  abuse anything.
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by DeepSight(m): 1:24pm On Aug 08, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

<quote>

</quote>

. . . . .And

So why on earth can they not occupt political positions in their own country? ? ? ?

If I am born in the US and live my whole life there, I can become President of the United States.

So if I am born in Lagos and live my whole life there, why can I not become Governor of Lagos State?

Nicolas Sarkozy is not even French by origin, you know? He's Polish.

There's also Arnold Swazzeneger, who became Governor of Carlifornia. He's Russian.

Let's quit the tribalism son. It's small-minded.
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by Nobody: 1:28pm On Aug 08, 2011
Senatorkolade:

My concern is the abuse by these Hausas. They will definitely abuse it to favour the North in appointments and employment. Hausas always  abuse anything.

Nepotism has always been a big factor in hausaland or you forgot the popular ''Ran ka dede '' phenomenon ?
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by Nobody: 1:40pm On Aug 08, 2011
This is a total joke,we are not ripe for this kind of thing ,GEJ should try and solve problems facing the country(i.e boko haram,electricity,security and lot more) before implementing any stupid law that will never work no matter how much he tried.  It's never going to work especially with the Hausa's moreover i don't want to see my culture go into extinct too
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by Fadipeshet(m): 2:16pm On Aug 08, 2011
An attempt to legalize Illegality?

Anyway , If this is done, let us hope that the associated evils such as the quota system, federal character

and all other enemies of professionalism all in the name of equity will die a natural death.
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by Arosa(m): 2:29pm On Aug 08, 2011
Fadipeshet:

An attempt to legalize Illegality?

Anyway , If this is done,  let us hope that the associated evils such as the quota system, federal character

and all other enemies of professionalism all in the name of equity will die a natural death.

by Okada-man
You must remove federal character law too, you can't do one and leave the other.

If we are all Nigerians then no need for federal character, merit is merit.

No cheating.
I like this.
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by Nobody: 2:38pm On Aug 08, 2011
It is good. That will reduce riot in the country
~Bluetooth:

Nepotism has always been a big factor in hausaland or you forgot the popular ''Ran ka dede '' phenomenon ?
Note hause do that tel your family to get in to that business
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by Nobody: 2:57pm On Aug 08, 2011
Being a Yoruba man, would I wanna be the governor of Anambra , Imo, Kano or any non-Yoruba states? NO. It's simply because we don't think alike and I won't feel a sense of belonging in those regions. Furthermore, I dislike Igbo politics, their quest for power, their aggression, their brute force, plus 'some' of them can  come across as being harsh and inconsiderate. Would I wanna be a governor over them? NO. So for that reason and because of differences in cultures, A Yoruba man should rule Yoruba states and an Igbo man should rule Igbo states.

Although, I find it complimentary that Igbos wanna be governors of south western states, it shows they like how we operate, the way we run our politics, our ethos, our culture and our hospitality. If they want to be governors, they more than welcome as along as they fit into our system and not try change it ( Plus they more than welcome to change their names from Emeka to Segun, must be fluent Yoruba speakers, start dressing like us, be respectful,  be willing to take GUNGUN and BATA drumming lessons and stop illegitimate businesses ).   grin grin grin grin grin grin        For us the Yorubas, there is more to life than money, and they have to do away with their 'do or die mentality'.

1 Like

Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by NegroNtns(m): 3:11pm On Aug 08, 2011
Deep sight,

US have their rules and Nigeria has its rules.

They have sameserx marriage in US, should we have that in Nigeria as well?

Children kill one another and their parents in US should we allow that in Nigeria.

You have intelligence but I can't say you have knowledge.

America belonged to the Indians but they are not the mainstream. The mainstream is white.

Who does Nigeria belong to? Can you please answer that for me.
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by otokx(m): 3:15pm On Aug 08, 2011
more confusion
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by Panzastrip(m): 3:21pm On Aug 08, 2011
I don't support this one at all at all. TUFIA.
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by 2mch(m): 3:32pm On Aug 08, 2011
very good, it now seems Bayelsa and the south south is up for grabs. This will not change anything as ethnic groups will still vote along ethnic lines. The majority will always carry the vote. GEJ should focus more on regional government because this removal of state of origin will speed up the absolute disintegration process for Nigeria. Every group will start to fight all over the country at the same time. It is too late for this.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ministers Unhappy With President’s Directive To Cooperate With Okonjo-Iweala / Labour Minister Unveiled As The Beneficiary Of N2.7b Oil Subsidy Fraud / South-west Has Largest Cannabis Farms – NDLEA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.