Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,752 members, 7,809,884 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:36 PM

Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin (8091 Views)

FG To Remove State Of Origin / Numbers Of Federal Workers By State Of Origin-- Bureau Of Public Service / Opinion: Our Government Should Remove "STATE OF ORIGIN" In Filling Forms (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by ak47mann(m): 3:56am On Aug 08, 2011
HEHEHEHEHEHEHEH soon any Nigerian can be governor of Lagos be it igbo Hausa or ijaw/SS grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

The Presidency is planning the inclusion of six-month residency clause in the proposed constitution amendment, investigations have shown.

Our correspondents learnt on Sunday that the clause was one of the amendments President Goodluck Jonathan would submit to the National Assembly on its resumption on September 13.

It was also learnt that the Presidency was also planning an amendment, which would make local governments to be more independent of states.

Investigations revealed the six –month residency clause was conceived to neutralise the issue of state of origin in appointments.

According to the proposal, any Nigerian will be qualified for an appointment in his or her area of residency. He or she will also be qualified to vote or be voted for in the area.

The issue of indigene, it will be recalled, cropped up during the appointment of the Minister of Trade and Investment, Dr. OlusegunAgagu.

The Association of the Lagos State Indigene, had faulted the nomination of the minister to represent the state on the grounds that it violated Section 147 (3) of the constitution.

It was gathered that the section and other related aspects of the constitution would be amended to give opportunities to those who were not residing in their states of origin.

A Presidency source said, “Many brilliant Nigerians are being denied opportunities because this problematic issue of the state of origin.

“If we want the country to be united, Nigerians should not be denied opportunities because of parochial reasons such as ethnicity, state of origin and religion. By the proposed amendment, if you have been residing in an area for six months, you can get appointments there.”

According to the source, the President is worried that the issue of area of origin is cropping up in Abuja, where some people are claiming that they should be appointed as ministers to represent the Federal Capital Territory.

Besides the issue of state of origin, investigations showed that the proposed amendments would address the structure of local governments.

According to the proposed amendments, local governments will be recognized as the third tier of government and would be directly funded from the federation account.

The Presidency source condemned the state governments’ joint accounts with the local governments.

Attempts to get Abati’s reactions to the nationwide consultations as his mobile phone was not going though. He had also not responded to an SMS at the time of sending this report.

But the presidential aide had last week told one of our correspondents that “Nigerians should wait for the executive bill, which the President will send to the National Assembly.”

PUNCH NEWSPAPER
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by Nobody: 3:58am On Aug 08, 2011
ak47mann:

HEHEHEHEHEHEHEH soon any Nigerian can be governor of Lagos be it igbo Hausa or ijaw/SS grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Not just Lagos state.

No more marginalization of Yorubas and Hausas in Anambra
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by ak47mann(m): 4:06am On Aug 08, 2011
^^ we never marginalise anybody i think the problem other tribes have in Nigeria apart from igbo s is that they always have that guilty conscience or fear about igbos, i think they still believe that we are still angry, but we have moved on or else if provoked angry
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by musiwa48: 4:07am On Aug 08, 2011
state of origin is important in a country like nigeria. Look.  You will see that if you change it to resident. If I know some ethnic group very well, if they become president for one day, he will use this clause in the constitution to appoint 36 ministers of their own ethnic origin.  Imagine 36 Igbo minister and 2 ministers from other ethnic group.   or 37 kanuri and others 1 minister etc.

The constitution already allowed everybody to run, even in state where they are not from. Nothing stop an igbo from running in lagos in the house of assembly , I know people from edo and delta who have ran before and got into the house of assembly in lagos. Ijaws are in ondo state house of assembly. 

the igbos complain about this issue, is that other ethnic group are not ready to vote for them because of igbos have altitude of taken over and would refuse to allow other nigerian to get into a company or ministry if an igbo get person get there. This is where the problem. the first thing the igboman would remember is biafra war. and will take from the nation cake for his dead relation during biafra.  Can you imagine an Igbo man been governor of sokoto or kano state. ? there will not be anything in that state bank account. if you ask him, he will tell you it is for compensation for the biafra civil war. If they are fair to other nigerian and change their altitude, people would like them.  You live in a multi ethnic society and you have to respect them and their views.

protecting the right of small ethnic group in nigeria is important, if not, you will find out that  even the Ijaw will have no minister. With Chuck Ike emeka representating bayelsa state. how do the voice of the Ijaw be heard. It means only the voice of the chuck ike emeka will be heard. it is not a good idea for a nation like nigeria. It works in america, because it is a different society. It cant work in nigeria. it will lead to small ethnic group in nigeria, not having a voice.
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by ak47mann(m): 4:11am On Aug 08, 2011
^^
are you saying that you don't support this idea?
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by tpia5: 4:14am On Aug 08, 2011
this guy jonathan has misplaced priorities.

talk about burning bridges.

i guess to him, tribe of origin takes precedence over state of origin?
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by Nobody: 4:32am On Aug 08, 2011
It will lead to cultural genocide!! I pity ijaw, tiv etc, All minority groups will cease to exist, Ogoni will be gone,

I know some fooools got their eyes on Lagos but guess what, Aboki got his eyes on your land. So while you are there thinkingSW will be taken over, your home land will belong to herdsmen and sharia agitators lol, Then you will have no home to return to lol Keep watching my roof while yours is leaking hahahaha,
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by okadaman2: 4:33am On Aug 08, 2011
You must remove federal character law too, you can't do one and leave the other.

If we are all Nigerians then no need for federal character, merit is merit.

No cheating.
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by Kobojunkie: 4:34am On Aug 08, 2011
Wait a second. . . . I remember Buhari suggested he would do exactly this, during the campaign. Now Jonathan's gang wan do am too?   sad sad sad sad
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by NegroNtns(m): 4:34am On Aug 08, 2011
Hausas want the oil and the Eastern seaport.

The bill will not pass though.
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by kettykin: 4:37am On Aug 08, 2011
eventhough many people who want the unity of the country do not want the unification of the country and will oppose this move what then is the advantage of having a united nigeria where religion and tribe and state of origin is not put in the census .

This is good for the country but jonathan should understand the aguiyi ironsi mistake and re appraise his priorities.

A deep sea port in the south south is more important than anything else even a second tenure.eventhough many people who want the unity of the country do not want the unification of the country and will oppose this move what then is the advantage of having a united nigeria where religion and tribe and state of origin is not put in the census .

This is good for the country but jonathan should understand the aguiyi ironsi mistake and re appraise his priorities.

A deep sea port in the south south is more important than anything else even a second tenure.
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by Nobody: 4:39am On Aug 08, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Hausas want the oil and the Eastern seaport.

The bill will not pass though.

Let them keep agitating for Lagos lol!!

By the time Sharia is declared in Rivers, Abia, Imo, Cross river, then they will know this is a bad idea lol!

Fulani will declare secession once the capture 2 oil states and a sea port!!! The we will have a field day debating who is the fool!!!!
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by ak47mann(m): 4:43am On Aug 08, 2011
we must take over Lagos is our turn una don rule for so many years na turn by turn naah,if not we will divide lagos state festac we be on it own cool
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by NegroNtns(m): 4:51am On Aug 08, 2011
You know you can't get Lagos but we can get any part of your land we want, if we put our minds to it. The problem is there's nothing over there worth getting.
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by Nobody: 4:52am On Aug 08, 2011
kettykin:

eventhough many people who want the unity of the country do not want the unification of the country and will oppose this move what then is the advantage of having a united nigeria where religion and tribe and state of origin is not put in the census .

A deep sea port in the south south is more important than anything else even a second tenure.eventhough many people who want the unity of the country do not want the unification of the country and will oppose this move what then is the advantage of having a united nigeria where religion and tribe and state of origin is not put in the census .

A deep sea port in the south south is more important than anything else even a second tenure.

Double ranting!!! Removing state of origin will kill minorities!! Every tribe deserves to exist even if they are just 20k people,

By the time 2million folks from Niger settles in Imo, 5milli from chad settles in Rivers, another 7 mill settles in cross river from Mali, Mauritania and Niger including the hausas who are already destroying minorities up north,  Then you will know what's up!! If Jonathan is wise, he will know his people will be most affected will become history!!

This won't promote unification this is ethnic genocide!! And when natives of individual states wake up, there will be massacre of strangers on a large scale,  It seems these guys don't think things through at all, 

The only way to unite us is by protecting all the identities and making it mandatory to become one with host tribe so an Hausa man can be Yoruba if he lives in Yoruba land, An Igbo man will be Hausa if he lives in kano etc,   This is how you can unite the nation not by committing cultural genocide!!

If you want to be Lagosian, what stops you from becoming one? going to Badagry, get adopted by the Egun people, become them, fight for them etc,  what stops that from happening? instead of a stranger coming to live on your land for six months then claiming he wants to rule over you? the anger alone will cause genocide!!!!
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by okadaman2: 4:58am On Aug 08, 2011
I agree with @9jaganja.

If you want to be Igbo or claim citizenship in any Igbo state, then you must worship Amadioha and other Alusi's

Without that, you are an efulefu, you are worse than Osu, you can never be governor.
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by ak47mann(m): 5:05am On Aug 08, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

You know you can't get Lagos but we can get any part of your land we want, if we put our minds to it. The problem is there's nothing over there worth getting.
in your dreams we have a lot of resources both human and natural  than your so call Lagos/SW with your poverty condition grin , are you out of your mind bro or you don dey drink fuel undecided cheesy  undecided
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by Nobody: 5:13am On Aug 08, 2011
ak47mann:

in your dreams we have a lot of resources both human and natural  than your so call Lagos/SW with your poverty condition grin , are you out of your mind bro or you don dey drink fuel undecided cheesy  undecided

And this is why no Yoruba man will consider Igbo a Lagosian because when push come to shove, you will always talk about your states being better than Yoruba land, Why are you in Yoruba land if you are coming from Eldorado?
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by Onlytruth(m): 5:22am On Aug 08, 2011
Posted by: okada_man

I agree with @9jaganja.

If you want to be Igbo or claim citizenship in any Igbo state, then you must worship Amadioha and other Alusi's

Without that, you are an efulefu, you are worse than Osu, you can never be governor.

Una no go kill me for hia walahi! grin grin

@topic,

IMO this is the greatest news out of Nigeria in a very long time.
I keep saying this; the problem with Nigeria is that those who chant "One Nigeria", who actually fought for it during the civil war, had no clue what they were fighting for.
The proposed amendment is the only way for that "One Nigeria" can work.
Anything else can never work. Moreover, this proposal makes common sense. Any strong culture would assimilate "settlers"; while weak ones would simply die off, and it is good.  cool I'm tired of having 250 languages in a nation with really about 7 - 10 cultural and language groups.
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by Obiagu1(m): 5:25am On Aug 08, 2011
I'll finally become a full Enugu guy.
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by Nobody: 5:31am On Aug 08, 2011
Onlytruth:

Posted by: okada_man
Una no go kill me for hia walahi! grin grin

@topic,

IMO this is the greatest news out of Nigeria in a very long time.
I keep saying this; the problem with Nigeria is that those who chant "One Nigeria", who actually fought for it during the civil war, had no clue what they were fighting for.
The proposed amendment is the only way for that "One Nigeria" can work.
Anything else can never work. Moreover, this proposal makes common sense. Any strong culture would assimilate "settlers"; while weak ones would simply die off, and it is good.  cool I'm tired of having 250 languages in a nation with really about 7 - 10 cultural and language groups.

You'll be surprise how quick everybody in Nigeria will become Yoruba!! Already the music culture is enjoying Yoruba language to the fullest, entertainment is the best tool of propaganda, By the time good good songs keep keep coming in Yoruba while movies made in Igbo will just simply be ignored lol!!! Sor foon won pe kowa ta si mi, What happened to Kwara? yea that's right they all speak Yoruba now even non Yorubas lol!, You and I know cultural genocide is bad!!!!
Even though I know Yorubas are at a huge advantage, I won't support any oppression of minorities!

1 Like

Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by Onlytruth(m): 5:37am On Aug 08, 2011
Posted by: 9jaganja
You'll be surprise how quick everybody in Nigeria will become Yoruba!! Already the music culture is enjoying Yoruba language to the fullest, entertainment is the best tool of propaganda, By the time good good songs keep keep coming in Yoruba while movies made in Igbo will just simply be ignored lol!!! Sor foon won pe kowa ta si mi, What happened to Kwara? yea that's right they all speak Yoruba now even non Yorubas lol!, You and I know cultural genocide is bad!!!!
Even though I know Yorubas are at a huge advantage, I won't support any oppression of minorities!
^^

You think I care about that? I'm laughin'  undecided
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by aljharem3: 5:38am On Aug 08, 2011
9jaganja:

You'll be surprise how quick everybody in Nigeria will become Yoruba!! Already the music culture is enjoying Yoruba language to the fullest, entertainment is the best tool of propaganda,  By the time good good songs keep keep coming in Yoruba while movies made in Igbo will just simply be ignored lol!!! Sor foon won pe kowa ta si mi,  What happened to Kwara? yea that's right they all speak Yoruba now even non Yorubas lol!,  You and I know cultural genocide is bad!!!!

guy u really need to stop replying this people

it would work out for the best, believe it wink
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by okadaman2: 5:38am On Aug 08, 2011
Obiagu1:

I'll finally become a full Enugu guy.

I'm happy for you bros.  embarassed

Me sef I've always wanted to claim Bayelsa. If this bill passes, I'll be Goodluck Jonathan's younger brother. I'll be entitled to Shell compensation  grin

I'm now Okada "ebelemi" Man
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by aljharem3: 5:40am On Aug 08, 2011
all i know is that no igbo or southerner will rule borno (no tribalism) or any core northern states

this is a fact unless una want riot and killing and we do not pray for it
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by Onlytruth(m): 5:40am On Aug 08, 2011
Again I believe this would lead to the emergence of a new "tribe" in Nigeria called "Nigerian". How else would you qualify a child of a Hausaman who married an Igbo woman and they both live in say lagos?
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by Nobody: 5:42am On Aug 08, 2011
Apart from the useless posts spewed by people of the usual origin, Igbos ofcourse, I completely agree with this idea.

It's a start of this so fake unity Nigerians have been claiming for the past decades. Now we have the likes of Iyabo Obasanjo that can run for Anambra governorship.

In America, you hear Caucasians of N. American origin claiming American, not Floridian or Bostonian when describing their heritage. Nigerians need to get get rid of these state of origin ish.

An exception to Ekiti ofcourse. State of origin still stands.
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by Onlytruth(m): 5:44am On Aug 08, 2011
Posted by: Ileke-IdI

Apart from the useless posts spewed by people of the usual origin, Igbos ofcourse, I completely agree with this idea.

It's a start of this so fake unity Nigerians have been claiming for the past decades. Now we have the likes of Iyabo Obasanjo that can run for Anambra governorship.

In America, you hear Caucasians of N. American origin claiming American, not Floridian or Bostonian when describing their heritage. Nigerians need to get get rid of these state of origin ish.

An exception to Ekiti ofcourse. State of origin still stands.

LOL! mental illness has stages. cheesy cheesy Joke well taken. cool
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by aljharem3: 5:45am On Aug 08, 2011
Onlytruth:

Again I believe this would lead to the emergence of a new "tribe" in Nigeria called "Nigerian". How else would you qualify a child of a Hausaman who married an Igbo woman and they both live in say lagos?

hausa person of course

I mean, what do you mean with such a question
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by Obiagu1(m): 5:46am On Aug 08, 2011
okada_man:

I'm happy for you bros.  embarassed

Me sef I've always wanted to claim Bayelsa. If this bill passes, I'll be Goodluck Jonathan's younger brother. I'll be entitled to Shell compensation  grin

I'm now Okada "ebelemi" Man

Ol'boy, you get ambition oo.
So na Bayelsa you dey eye since?
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by Onlytruth(m): 5:47am On Aug 08, 2011
Posted by: alj_harem

hausa person of course

I mean, what do you mean with such a question

Wrong. He is actually Nigerian  . . .though with Okoro swag.  cool
Re: Constitution: Fg Set To Remove State Of Origin by okadaman2: 5:49am On Aug 08, 2011
Obiagu1:

Ol'boy, you get ambition oo.
So na Bayelsa you dey eye since?

Bros. I no dey take this thing play o, UN wan force shell to pay billions, you better go rent house for Ogoniland lipsrsealed

Me I don claim Yenagoa

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

NJC To Investigate Corrupt Judges / Enugu Governor’s Wife’s Scholarship Beneficiaries Offer Thanksgiving / Akunyili Supports Death Penalty For Corruption

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.