Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,234 members, 7,818,783 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:09 AM

The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland - Culture (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland (80351 Views)

The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship / The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. / The Marvelous And Beautiful Cultures Of Ghana Aka Kente Land (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by odumchi: 7:53pm On Apr 28, 2013
Even though the standardized way of saying 'no' in Igbo is 'mba', I think the people that originally say 'mba' are in the minority. Northern Abia and parts of Ebonyi say 'odighi'; southern Abia (Ngwa and etc) say 'uh-uh'; the Urata peoples in Imo say 'oh-lo'; parts of Enugu and Anambra say 'wawa'; and parts of Delta and Anambra say 'mba'. I dont know how Rivers groups say 'no' but I think the universal way to say 'no' in Igbo would be 'eh-eh' (accompanied with the shaking of the head).
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Gboliwe: 10:42pm On Apr 28, 2013
odumchi: Even though the standardized way of saying 'no' in Igbo is 'mba', I think the people that originally say 'mba' are in the minority. Northern Abia and parts of Ebonyi say 'odighi'; southern Abia (Ngwa and etc) say 'uh-uh'; the Urata peoples in Imo say 'oh-lo'; parts of Enugu and Anambra say 'wawa'; and parts of Delta and Anambra say 'mba'. I dont know how Rivers groups say 'no' but I think the universal way to say 'no' in Igbo would be 'eh-eh' (accompanied with the shaking of the head).
northern Abia, Bende where I come from, we say 'AA' thats double A for no. Lol. Single A for yes
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by bigfrancis21: 11:55pm On Apr 28, 2013
odumchi: Even though the standardized way of saying 'no' in Igbo is 'mba', I think the people that originally say 'mba' are in the minority. Northern Abia and parts of Ebonyi say 'odighi'; southern Abia (Ngwa and etc) say 'uh-uh'; the Urata peoples in Imo say 'oh-lo'; parts of Enugu and Anambra say 'wawa'; and parts of Delta and Anambra say 'mba'. I dont know how Rivers groups say 'no' but I think the universal way to say 'no' in Igbo would be 'eh-eh' (accompanied with the shaking of the head).

By and large, 'mba' was selected from an Anambra dialect and made part of central Igbo.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Afam4eva(m): 12:22am On Apr 29, 2013
bigfrancis21:

By and large, 'mba' was selected from an Anambra dialect and made part of central Igbo.

[size=14pt]That's the concept a lot of people don't seem to get about Igbo language. That's why i laugh when Ikwerre people or some western Igbo groups say things "The way we speak is different from Igbo". Which Igbo are you talking about. Is it the one we all accepted as the central Igbo or Ngwa, Onitsha, Awka, Owerre? They don't seem to know that we all have dialects.[/size]
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by odumchi: 12:42am On Apr 29, 2013
Gboliwe:
northern Abia, Bende where I come from, we say 'AA' thats double A for no. Lol. Single A for yes

Thanks, Gboliwe. This even stresses my point. Abia is very diverse, linguistically speaking.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by odumchi: 12:43am On Apr 29, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Exactly. Central Igbo is a puzzle that was put together with diverse pieces.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 8:32am On Apr 29, 2013
mba is central igbo. Eh-eh can be impolite when talking to an elder sometimes.

1 Like

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by pazienza(m): 9:22am On Jan 16, 2015
ShyMX1:

Effiong was Ojukwu's deputy in the Eastern region before there was a Biafra(if what I read is right) and he continued in that position after Ojukwu declared Biafra... However, that doesn't mean Akwa Ibomites supported Igbos... Heck, some of the biggest atrocities committed by Biafran soldiers were against them... You can go read about what transpired at Ikot Ekpene during the war and what Biafran soldiers did to them...

There was no camaraderie in the Eastern region... Zik turned the whole place to Igbo-ville and all the other minority groups were marginalised.... Perhaps, that was the reason why they all rose up against Igbos when the opportunity presented itself...

The Western region was balkanised and turned into an all Yoruba region, by cutting out their Edo and Itshekiri cousins.... If you think the Western region wasn't balkanised - then you have to accept that the Eastern region wasn't balkanised as well because those places that were cut from the Eastern region are/were occupied by other ethnic groups and not Igbos... wink

The western region wasn't balkanized, there simply was no ground for unity between the Yorubas and the minorities. The old western region like Nigeria was a failed experiment, the Yorubas treated the minorities like 2nd class citizens, so the Oba of Bini and other prominent minorities leaders sought for a plebiscite to determine their people's opinion on leaving the Yorubas,and the people voted for separate existence.

1 Like

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by goldilocks(f): 2:56am On Sep 02, 2015
Can someone please recommend good books on Igbo culture, history and traditional religion. Thanks.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 8:48am On Sep 02, 2015
A few good titles on the history were mentioned in the thread below:

https://www.nairaland.com/2427205/what-igbo-history-book-closest#35524735

On the culture and the religion, I can only mention the ones I've read and liked (which aren't much).

The Igbo of Southeast Nigeria (Case Studies in Cultural Anthropology) by Victor C. Uchendu is a good easy read. Small volume, too (about a hundred pages or so).

Igbo Philosophy by T. Uzodinma Nwala is a more complex work. A good book, in my own opinion.

There has to be a lot more I don't know of.
If you can read Igbo, you should also check out these great Secondary School texts:

Odinala Ndi Igbo by Tony Ubesie

Omenala Ndi Igbo by J. U. T. Nzeako

Omenala Igbo: The Book of Igbo Customs by F. C. Ogbalu

(Oh, there was a collection of essays prepared in honour of F. C. Ogbalu. It is called The Study of Igbo Culture: Essays in Honour of F. C. Ogbalu and it is by Rems Umeasiegbu. Haven't read it though, but I know Umeasiegbu to be quite knowledgeable. Plus the book is short and would make for a quick read.)

3 Likes

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by goldilocks(f): 8:18am On Sep 03, 2015
Can I purchase them from Amazon or I have to order them from home?
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 2:31pm On Sep 03, 2015
On Amazon? I should think so. Except maybe for the ones written in Igbo.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by AtaniWarrior: 7:24am On Feb 26, 2017
NRIPRIEST:
Here I come; I'm very pleased to know that you have realized that Aro culture doesn't represent the greater Igbo culture. We all agree that Aro culture was relativelly new because they migrated from northern Imo and are settlers to where they presently occupy now,so,when you wanna discuss Igbo culture I suggest you start with the most authentic Igbo culture(Nri) to avoid backlash. It is both mischievous and misleading to discuss Igbo culture and start with Aro of 18century. The culture of the Igbo doesn't start with Aro Okigbo. There was Eri/Nri,Isu and others that predates Aro. Its ok to be proud,promote and glorify your culture but you mustn't neglet the culture with which Igbo people drew their identity from. Hey,I love the Aro regallia but the record must be set straight. An Igbo proverb says "ahaba oke ebido na isi..meaning; The eldest pick firstly,when the father's properties are divided. Nri bu isi Igbo! And this must be respected!

The Aro did not come from Northern Imo.

My mother is from Nri. The Eri/Nri people are originally from the Igala.

The Igbo culture most likely evolved from the Orlu, Okigwe, Owerri, and Awka areas and expanded in all directions.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Obi0688(m): 10:10pm On Feb 26, 2017

A few good titles on the history were mentioned in the thread below:

https://www.nairaland.com/2427205/what-igbo-history-book-closest#35524735

On the culture and the religion, I can only mention the ones I've read and liked (which aren't much).

The Igbo of Southeast Nigeria (Case Studies in Cultural Anthropology) by Victor C. Uchendu is a good easy read. Small volume, too (about a hundred pages or so).

Igbo Philosophy by T. Uzodinma Nwala is a more complex work. A good book, in my own opinion.

There has to be a lot more I don't know of.
If you can read Igbo, you should also check out these great Secondary School texts:

Odinala Ndi Igbo by Tony Ubesie

Omenala Ndi Igbo by J. U. T. Nzeako

Omenala Igbo: The Book of Igbo Customs by F. C. Ogbalu

(Oh, there was a collection of essays prepared in honour of F. C. Ogbalu. It is called The Study of Igbo Culture: Essays in Honour of F. C. Ogbalu and it is by Rems Umeasiegbu. Haven't read it though, but I know Umeasiegbu to be quite knowledgeable. Plus the book is short and would make for a quick read.)

Thanks for this!
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by cbravo3: 2:12pm On Apr 23, 2017

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Moment Oba Of Lagos House Was Attacked By Mob (video) / Beautiful Russian Girls Speaking Igbo & Dancing Ogene / The Beauty Of Yoruba Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.