Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,397 members, 7,954,575 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 11:19 PM

The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland - Culture (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland (81357 Views)

The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship / The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. / The Marvelous And Beautiful Cultures Of Ghana Aka Kente Land (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Malawian(m): 6:10pm On Apr 27, 2013
at pagan nja, you want a free view of igbo gals punany abi? self-servicer. abeg enter bathroom use soap and water cool off joor. u fit use tonto dike picture do the thing. no more dulling for here o. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 6:16pm On Apr 27, 2013
Afam4eva:
In Nkanu where i come from, i hear people use "wa" for "no" but i don't know if it's indegenous to Nkanu or a borrowed culture. What part of Enugu is your Mum from?
That's the difference in dialect we are talking about!
Sometimes I don't know to explain to some non-igbo peeps that "no" does not translate to "mba" in my part of igboland. "No" translates to "wa" in agbaja dialect. We don't say "mba".
Its borrowed.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 6:20pm On Apr 27, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

well then broadcast it. do it in a cultural way. There is a way of doing things. THose women are not completely unclad. Infact when I see those pictures , i feel respect not attraction.

you must be really sick in the head to entertain such feelings towards these graceful tribal women.

You're cray, bro!!! grin grin grin

Why did you post a picture of "Nkechi, Chioma, and Ngozi" to buttress ya point?? grin grin

You love ancient fresh ti.ts without acidic bras, don't you? tongue

You know people can't be walking around looking like that in this day and age - they've upped the swag, and you need to let them be...

Anyway, stop arguing with that troll - she'll continue to sign on with other IDs to like her own fugly and half-witted posts...

Do ya thang, bro - paganism for Africa...

Hotep!! cool

2 Likes

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 6:21pm On Apr 27, 2013
ShyM-X:

Errm... I don't think the civil war did and don't forget the Western region was the first to be balkanized, with the creation of the Mid-West... and Lagos Island was also the capital of Nigeria and not part of the Western region... Suffice to say; the West had already been divided into three... Yoruba's are lucky because they already fought their own civil war in the 19th century and that enabled all the different subgroups to find a common ground as a larger group..

Anyway, "Nigeria" is the "glue" that's keeping everyone together for now - once "Nigeria" crumbles - so many Nigeria would be birthed in the new countries...

The Western region was not balkanized on the eve of a pending war where heated sentiments were already haywire. Or was it? The Western people were not killed for just being an ethnic group. That's the difference. Shymmex do you think somebody called Effiong can fight along side someone called Ojukwu in Nigeria today? I doubt it. That's the kind of dissent I'm talking about today. wink The Eastern region was on its part on developing a sense of camaraderie before it was squashed by the civil war. I don't even attribute Nigeria as the glue but the mechanisms of the British.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 6:28pm On Apr 27, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

well then broadcast it. do it in a cultural way. There is a way of doing things. THose women are not completely unclad. Infact when I see those pictures , i feel respect not attraction.

you must be really sick in the head to entertain such feelings towards these graceful tribal women.

Well not every one would feel the same way. It's a good thing you feel respect. I feel respect too but majority would have lewd views.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 6:35pm On Apr 27, 2013
ShyM-X:

You're cray, bro!!! grin grin grin

Why did you post a picture of "Nkechi, Chioma, and Ngozi" to buttress ya point?? grin grin

You love ancient fresh ti.ts without acidic bras, don't you? tongue

You know people can't be walking around looking like that in this day and age - they've upped the swag, and you need to let them be...

Anyway, stop arguing with that troll - she'll continue to sign on with other IDs to like her own fugly and half-witted posts...

Do ya thang, bro - paganism for Africa...

Hotep!! cool

Accurate description of yourself.
Stalking and projection at its highest.

1 Like

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 6:35pm On Apr 27, 2013
stillwater:
The Western region was not balkanized on the eve of a pending war where heated sentiments were already haywire. Or was it? The Western people were not killed for just being an ethnic group. That's the difference. Shymmex do you think somebody called Effiong can fight along someone called Ojukwu in Nigeria today? I doubt it. That's the kind of dissent I'm talking about today. wink The Eastern region was on its part on developing a sense of camaraderie before it was squashed by the civil war. I don't even attribute Nigeria as the glue but the mechanisms of the British.

However, why was the Western region balkanised, and both the Eastern and Northern region were left untouched? The politics that both Zik and Ahmadu played against the Western region, came back to haunt them... and there was no reason to balkanise the West again, since it had been done earlier...

Anyway, you're trying to drag the argument into what caused the civil... However, you need to understand that every action has an equal(or more) opposite reaction... Well, Yoruba's didn't plot any coup, neither did they taunt nor hack down Northerners in their region - so you don't expect people to kill them for being Yoruba's - do you? Heck, their leaders were hacked down both groups that executed both the first coup and counter-coup... grin

There was never any camaraderie in the Eastern region - all the other ethnic groups have always had reservations about Igbos... Heck, that was the same reason why South Cameroon left Nigeria... Ojukwu also further destroyed any hope(s) of camaraderie by declaring a country without consulting the other minority ethnic groups... Perhaps, that was why most of them fought against Biafra...

1 Like

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 6:37pm On Apr 27, 2013
Nkechi, go away, plz... undecided undecided

Don't you have afakwu soup to cook for your younger ones? undecided

It's Saturday, for crying out loud..

1 Like

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 6:39pm On Apr 27, 2013
^^^Have you noticed that anytime we talk it is you who initiates by referring to me in some way first?

Take your own advice.

But I know you will not because you will always have something to say about what I post.

Projection.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 6:43pm On Apr 27, 2013
How do I refer to you? undecided

Go cook afakwu or Ohia, for the kids, Nkechi Ekaette... undecided

1 Like

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 6:45pm On Apr 27, 2013
Are you really asking such a question?

Stop stalking me, Bittyend. undecided
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 6:46pm On Apr 27, 2013
I'll like to know - I'm all ears... undecided

Oh well, that's between you and bittyend... undecided

1 Like

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 6:52pm On Apr 27, 2013
ShyM-X:

However, why was the Western region balkanised, and both the Eastern and Northern region were left untouched? The politics that both Zik and Ahmadu played against the Western region, came back to haunt them... and there was no reason to balkanise the West again, since it had been done earlier...

Anyway, you're trying to drag the argument into what caused the civil... However, you need to understand that every action has an equal(or more) opposite reaction... Well, Yoruba's didn't plot any coup, neither did they taunt nor hack down Northerners in their region - so you don't expect people to kill them for being Yoruba's - do you? Heck, their leaders were hacked down both groups that executed both the first coup and counter-coup... grin

There was never any camaraderie in the Eastern region - all the other ethnic groups have always had reservations about Igbos... Heck, that was the same reason why South Cameroon left Nigeria... Ojukwu also further destroyed any hope(s) of camaraderie by declaring a country without consulting the other minority ethnic groups... Perhaps, that was why most of them fought against Biafra...

So why did an Effiong fight along side an Ojukwu? Was he held at gunpoint? grin Also, remember we've been living peaceably and trading with our neighbors compared to other ethnic groups outside the east that were fighting and swallowing other subgroups. So yes there was a sense of camaraderie. grin Emi lo so be grin

We are now going off topic. Let's restate it. The dissent among the South Eastern groups grin. That was why I told you there's a difference between the balkanization in the West because there was not a coup, pending civil war and there was an already established Western identity under a monarchical system hence dissent could not be created. grin
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 6:54pm On Apr 27, 2013
ShyM-X:
I'll like to know - I'm all ears... undecided

Oh well, that's between you and bittyend... undecided

Uhh...this is a no brainer. Stop feigning ignorance.

When I talk to you, realize that it is because you said something first or referred to me in some snide and stupid sort of way.

Shoot, the next time I make a comment in some other thread that you don't like I know your stalkerish ass would right there, ever ready to pounce.

Lay off, and I won't bother you either.

3 Likes

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by AlyricistLaura: 6:57pm On Apr 27, 2013
~Back To The Marvelous Culture of The Ibos and Igboland~.......... cool
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 7:04pm On Apr 27, 2013
stillwater:
So why did an Effiong fight along side an Ojukwu? Was he held at gunpoint? grin Also, remember we've been living peaceably and trading with our neighbors compared to other ethnic groups outside the east that were fighting and swallowing other subgroups. So yes there was a sense of camaraderie. grin Emi lo so be grin

We are now going off topic. Let's restate it. The dissent among the South Eastern groups grin. That was why I told you there's a difference between the balkanization in the West because there was not a coup, pending civil war and there was an already established Western identity under a monarchical system hence dissent could not be created. grin

Effiong was Ojukwu's deputy in the Eastern region before there was a Biafra(if what I read is right) and he continued in that position after Ojukwu declared Biafra... However, that doesn't mean Akwa Ibomites supported Igbos... Heck, some of the biggest atrocities committed by Biafran soldiers were against them... You can go read about what transpired at Ikot Ekpene during the war and what Biafran soldiers did to them...

There was no camaraderie in the Eastern region... Zik turned the whole place to Igbo-ville and all the other minority groups were marginalised.... Perhaps, that was the reason why they all rose up against Igbos when the opportunity presented itself...

The Western region was balkanised and turned into an all Yoruba region, by cutting out their Edo and Itshekiri cousins.... If you think the Western region wasn't balkanised - then you have to accept that the Eastern region wasn't balkanised as well because those places that were cut from the Eastern region are/were occupied by other ethnic groups and not Igbos... wink

1 Like

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 7:06pm On Apr 27, 2013
Stalking you?

You must be high on raffia palm... undecided undecided

I alluded to a "troll" with multiple handles in my post - are you a "troll" with multiple handles? undecided undecided

Where the doozy bittyend at, anyway?

You must be madly in love with that guy to be following me around and name-dropping his handle everywhere I post... undecided undecided

Is it a case of love-unspoken? undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 7:07pm On Apr 27, 2013
^^^I believe I have made myself clear.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 7:09pm On Apr 27, 2013
Uli Body painting

http://carimurraywomenofafrica.weebly.com/uli-body-painting.html

In Nigeria, women of the Igbo people use paint to illustrate their bodies in significant patterns. This concept is referred to as uli painting, using a dye made from seeds of uli plants that stain the skin black. Designs are painted on girls who just left the ‘fattening room’ where they were prepped for marriage in three months. After this, they are presented to the community and future husbands in a ceremony with their bodies painted in Uli to show their climax of beauty. These designs focus on the girl’s best features but also hide her imperfections. Most attention is usually drawn to a girls neck, showing strength, and to her pubic hair as a sign of fertility.

Modern day

2 Likes

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Abagworo(m): 7:10pm On Apr 27, 2013
stillwater:

The truth is that we should separate Igbo identity from Eastern identity as the Mid-West of that time had significant ethnic Igbo as part of it. The Eastern region had many ethnic groups but Igbos were majority. The problem wasn't balkanization of Eastern Region, but balkanization of Igboland and creation of new ethnic groups from the already forming Igbo ethnic group in order to destroy the Igbo's growing unity which was perceived as a threat by other Nigerians. The coup plotters were from Mid-West even though they were ethnic Igbo.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 7:10pm On Apr 27, 2013
Shymmex na you sabi. I give up.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Paschal007: 9:08pm On Apr 27, 2013
bigfrancis21:

No, I mean the wawa people of Enugu state. You haven't heard of the wawa people before? They were called 'wawa' because they are known to say 'wa' for 'no', rather than 'mba'.
Ask anybody you know from Enugu state.
Lol Awka people use 'Wa' for 'mba'.

1 Like

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by igboboy1(m): 5:28am On Apr 28, 2013
ShyM-X:

However, why was the Western region balkanised, .

Na wa oo...what do you mean western region balkanized. As an oshimili man, how do I fit into the then western region? you make it to sound like western region is one people. Oshimili man has nada in common with Yoruba to be in the same western region hence the creation of midwest...
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by odumchi: 8:35am On Apr 28, 2013
I won't allow this thread to descend into another "Nigeria vs Biafra" political engagement. The purpose of this thread is to discuss omenali ndi Igbo (Igbo traditions/culture) and anyone who wishes to discuss anything other than that should seek entertainment elsewhere. Just making it clear.

1 Like

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 10:49am On Apr 28, 2013
^^^Anyway, Odumchi has spoken...

However, the same way an oshimili man doesn't fit into the Western region is the same way Itsekiri and Lukumi people don't fit into the mid-west region... the same way Ilorin and Kabba people(Yoruba) don't fit into the Northern region... and the same way Ijaws shouldn't have been part of the Eastern region... wink

Out! tongue
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 2:56pm On Apr 28, 2013
Afam4eva:
Wawa is a general term used to describe people from Enugu and not a particular clan. I'm from Enugu btw.
well, it stems from the fact we say wawa as 'no'. Esp in my villa
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 2:59pm On Apr 28, 2013
odumchi: I won't allow this thread to descend into another "Nigeria vs Biafra" political engagement. The purpose of this thread is to discuss omenali ndi Igbo (Igbo traditions/culture) and anyone who wishes to discuss anything other than that should seek entertainment elsewhere. Just making it clear.
Pls tell all these shymx and co that their opinions are not needed
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Afam4eva(m): 3:00pm On Apr 28, 2013
ngozievergreen:
well, it stems from the fact we say wawa as 'no'. Esp in my villa
Which village in Enugu are you from?

Awka people also use Wawa.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 6:24pm On Apr 28, 2013
Afam4eva:
Which village in Enugu are you from?

Awka people also use Wawa.
Nkanu west- Akpugo precisely
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Afam4eva(m): 6:59pm On Apr 28, 2013
ngozievergreen:
Nkanu west- Akpugo precisely

[size=14pt]Great! I'm also from Nkanu- Amaechi, Awkunanaw to be precise.
[/size]

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Igbo Traditional Music and Musical Instruments / Meet Ooni Of Ife’s Sisters Who Ensured The Emergence Of A New Queen / Misuzulu KaZwelithini, Zulu King In First Reed Dance With Virgin Maidens

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.