Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,189 members, 7,822,009 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:15 AM

The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland - Culture (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland (80385 Views)

The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship / The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. / The Marvelous And Beautiful Cultures Of Ghana Aka Kente Land (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Abagworo(m): 5:12pm On Apr 27, 2013
bigfrancis21:

No, I mean the wawa people of Enugu state. You haven't heard of the wawa people before? They were called 'wawa' because they are known to say 'wa' for 'no', rather than 'mba'.
Ask anybody you know from Enugu state.

In that case Oratta people should be called "olo olo" people since they use "olo" for "no" instead of "mba".
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by bigfrancis21: 5:12pm On Apr 27, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

who are you to dictate what I advocate or not?

its not crazy go mind your own business. the Igbo were never dynamic/changing. it is onlly in the last 100 yrs of colonization tht you changed because of inferiority complex. no. Most Igbos were semi-clad. are you bulshitting and telling me that what those ladies wore in those 4 pics are authentic Igbo? go to hell!
I have repeated before, this is an Igbo thread and Im discussing Igbos here. I already opened a thread on authentic Hausa if you check my past archives.

Another seething nairaland tribalist. grin
Don't worry, all your hullabaloo doesn't step an inch beyond nairaland. grin
Your deathful wish to have the Igbo people go around dressing semi-unclad is 1000% impossible and will never come true. tongue
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:17pm On Apr 27, 2013
nnenna.1:

I was not responding to what you said but what you certainly implied.

Cultures change and are dynamic. That you see pictures of Igbos wearing certain clothing 100 years ago does not even mean that they wore it in the distant past.

Nor does it mean that they will continue to wear it today.

If you wanted to keep 100% tribal, pagan and real stop using your computer/cellphone to go on Nairaland and argue with me in English.

Throw all that modern material stuff away and go home free.

Live exactly what you preach.

what a idiot! bringing up the same old argument. what has Tribal Culture and Paganism go to do with cellphones or internet. That cellphone and internet you use was made by Pagan Japanese so abeg shut up.

Even the Maths you studied in school was by Pagan scholars like Pythagoras, Euclid,etc.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:18pm On Apr 27, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Another seething nairaland tribalist. grin
Don't worry, all your hullabaloo doesn't step an inch beyond nairaland. grin
Your deathful wish to have the Igbo people go around dressing semi-unclad is 1000% impossible and will never come true. tongue

i repeat. go die.

It shall come true. atleast for ceremonial purposes. but it will. you see.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by bigfrancis21: 5:18pm On Apr 27, 2013
nnenna.1:

I was not responding to what you said but what you certainly implied.

Cultures change and are dynamic. That you see pictures of Igbos wearing certain clothing 100 years ago does not even mean that they wore it in the distant past.

Nor does it mean that they will continue to wear it today.

If you wanted to keep 100% tribal, pagan and real stop using your computer/cellphone to go on Nairaland and argue with me in English.

Throw all that modern material stuff away and go home free.

Live exactly what you preach.

Gbam!
Can you imagine his ludicrous reasoning? In this time and age? Because some isolated ancient swaziand peopes dress uncad, so the Igbo people should also dress unclad? If he wants the Igbo to start dressing unclad as he sorely wants, then let him have his hausa people start dressing half-naked first, then shall we gladly follow suit. grin
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by bigfrancis21: 5:20pm On Apr 27, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

i repeat. go die.

It shall come true. atleast for ceremonial purposes. but it will. you see.

The crown of your childish reasoning. You are indeed a kid.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Afam4eva(m): 5:22pm On Apr 27, 2013
bigfrancis21:

No, I mean the wawa people of Enugu state. You haven't heard of the wawa people before? They were called 'wawa' because they are known to say 'wa' for 'no', rather than 'mba'.
Wawa is a general term used to describe people from Enugu and not a particular clan. I'm from Enugu btw.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by bigfrancis21: 5:22pm On Apr 27, 2013
Abagworo:

In that case Oratta people should be called "olo olo" people since they use "olo" for "no" instead of "mba".
Lol. Even the Owerri people too. grin
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 5:24pm On Apr 27, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

what a idiot! bringing up the same old argument. what has Tribal Culture and Paganism go to do with cellphones or internet. That cellphone and internet you use was made by Pagan Japanese so abeg shut up.

Even the Maths you studied in school was by Pagan scholars like Pythagoras, Euclid,etc.

Uh....Hausa people in the "days of yore" never used the cell phone or the internet, nor did they speak English.

Much like the Igbos you gleefully point your fingers at, who wear elaborate scarves/damask clothing.

Go back to your roots and be a living example for us.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:25pm On Apr 27, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Gbam!
Can you imagine his ludicrous reasoning? In this time and age? Because some isolated ancient swaziand peopes dress uncad, so the Igbo people should also dress unclad? If he wants the Igbo to start dressing unclad as he sorely wants, then let him have his hausa people start dressing half-naked first, then shall we gladly follow suit. grin

you slave. going half-clad is not part of our clothes , ept during certain ceremonies like Rawan Gane, etc.

and btw why do you keep considering yourself inferior to us Hausa, hat you mut imitate and do whatever we do.

Is this part of Igbo 'progressive' culture as well? to imitate other people since you consider yourself inferior to whites, Hausa,etc.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:26pm On Apr 27, 2013
bigfrancis21:

The crown of your childish reasoning. You are indeed a kid.

and you are a slave.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:27pm On Apr 27, 2013
nnenna.1:

Uh....Hausa people in the "days of yore" never used the cell phone or the internet, nor did they speak English.

Much like the Igbos you gleefully point your fingers at, who wear elaborate scarves/damask clothing.

Go back to your roots and be a living example for us.

what has cellphone or internet got to do with culture. is it destroying my culture what a dumbarse statement.

those elaborate head scarves are copied from Yorubas, your enemies.

are Igbos always looking for examples? you have no brain? now I see why them colonists shipped you off to those lands.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by bigfrancis21: 5:28pm On Apr 27, 2013
Afam4eva:
Wawa is a general term used to describe people from Enugu and not a particular clan. I'm from Enugu btw.

True to an extent, yes. The usage has only expanded in recent times. My mom is from Enugu state and she told me this firsthand, so I am a 'nwa agaba' of Enugu state. cheesy
Wawa originated as a result of the a particular people of Enugu state (I don't know which group exactly now) who were known to dress naked in ancient times. They were popularly know to say 'wa' for 'no'.
8 years ago, my mom employed a maid from Enugu state and the girl was fond of saying 'wa' for 'no' and my mom sorely hated this and chided her not to use it in the house again. grin
Interestingly, my mom's people don't use 'wa' but rather 'mba' for no.
However, like you said the term has been expanded to refer to everybody from Enugu state.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:28pm On Apr 27, 2013
bigfrancis21:

True to an extent, yes. The usage has only expanded in recent times. My mom is from Enugu state and she told me this firsthand, so I am a 'nwa agaba' of Enugu state. cheesy
Wawa originated as a result of the a particular people of Enugu state (I don't know which group exactly now) who were known to dress naked in ancient times. They were popularly know to say 'wa' for 'no'.
8 years ago, my mom employed a maid from Enugu state and the girl was fond of saying 'wa' for 'no' and my mom sorely hated this and chided her not to use it in the house again. grin
Apparently, my mom's people don't use 'wa' but rather 'mba' for no.

stop saying ancient times. most of the pics online are from barely 50-60 years back. angry

there were no cameras in 'ancient' times.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 5:28pm On Apr 27, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

you slave. going half-clad is not part of our clothes , ept during certain ceremonies like Rawan Gane, etc.

and btw why do you keep considering yourself inferior to us Hausa, hat you mut imitate and do whatever we do.

Is this part of Igbo 'progressive' culture as well? to imitate other people since you consider yourself inferior to whites, Hausa,etc.

Oh I am sure Hausas were half-clad at one point prior to mixing cultures with others.

Most humans were at various points in their lives.

Why not go back to that very source?

By the way, your post here shows what your true, ulterior, trollish motives are.

1 Like

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:29pm On Apr 27, 2013
nnenna.1:

Oh I am sure Hausas were half-clad at one point prior to mixing cultures with others.

By the way, your post here shows what your true, ulterior, trollish motives are.

you have no proof. Our clothing is distinctly Chadic Sahelian, including our turbans.

whereas we have proof as to your clothing so it must be saved.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 5:32pm On Apr 27, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

what has cellphone or internet got to do with culture. is it destroying my culture what a dumbarse statement.

those elaborate head scarves are copied from Yorubas, your enemies.

are Igbos always looking for examples? you have no brain? now I see why them colonists shipped you off to those lands.

So yoruba women wore elaborate headscarves, damask and sequin in the days of yore, right? LMAO!

Cellphone and internet has a lot to with culture. Please don't be stupid as culture is not restricted to clothing or religion.

Log off the internet now and run into the Savannahs of Hausaland as a free-minded, Africanized pagan.

1 Like

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Afam4eva(m): 5:33pm On Apr 27, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Interestingly, my mom's people don't use 'wa' but rather 'mba' for no.
However, like you said the term has been expanded to refer to everybody from Enugu state.
In Nkanu where i come from, i hear people use "wa" for "no" but i don't know if it's indegenous to Nkanu or a borrowed culture. What part of Enugu is your Mum from?
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 5:34pm On Apr 27, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

you have no proof. Our clothing is distinctly Chadic Sahelian, including our turbans.

whereas we have proof as to your clothing so it must be saved.

Yah...at this point your trolling is so obvious grin

1 Like

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by bigfrancis21: 5:36pm On Apr 27, 2013
nnenna.1:

Nnenna, i'd suggest that you stop replying him. He's sitting behind his computer, laughing and utterly enjoying himself at the attention he's receiving. Ignore him. Don't take him seriously. When you meet someone intellectual worth arguing with, you'd know. cheesy

I've noticed and read a lot of his posts on nairaland. Sorry to say this, but all of them are inundated with immature empty ramblings with absolutely no mature idea to contribute.

Kails, one afro-jamaican nairalander has said this several times. grin

2 Likes

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:37pm On Apr 27, 2013
nnenna.1:

So yoruba women wore elaborate headscarves, damask and sequin in the days or yore, right? LMAO!

Cellphone and internet has a lot to with culture. Please don't be stupid as culture is not restricted to clothing or religion.

Log off the internet now and run into the Savannahs of Hausaland as a free-minded, Africanized pagan.

please dont be stupid yourself. cellphone and internet are not culture.
culture is defined by identity. cellphone is not identity. neither does it displace a previous cultural trait.

and why is it that you keep diverting or looking to other ethnic groups when we are clearly discussing Igbos here.

you reek with inferiority complex. always looking to others and trying to imitate them like a monkey. you have no brain of yourself it seems.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by bigfrancis21: 5:38pm On Apr 27, 2013
Afam4eva:
In Nkanu where i come from, i hear people use "wa" for "no" but i don't know if it's indegenous to Nkanu or a borrowed culture. What part of Enugu is your Mum from?

Oji river. Achi to be precise.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:39pm On Apr 27, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Nnenna, i'd suggest that you stop replying him. He's sitting behind his computer, laughing and utterly enjoying himself at the attention he's receiving. Ignore him. Don't take him seriously. When you meet someone intellectual worth arguin with, you'd know. cheesy

I've noticed and read a lot of his posts on nairaland. Sorry to say this, but all of them are immature with absolutely no mature idea to contribute.

give up dude. give up. you cant argue with me.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 5:40pm On Apr 27, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Nnenna, i'd suggest that you stop replying him. He's sitting behind his computer, laughing and utterly enjoying himself at the attention he's receiving. Ignore him. Don't take him seriously. When you meet someone intellectual worth arguin with, you'd know. cheesy

I've noticed and read a lot of his posts on nairaland. Sorry to say this, but all of them are immature with absolutely no mature idea to contribute.

Yeah...you are right. His posts are as trollish as they come.

3 Likes

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by bigfrancis21: 5:42pm On Apr 27, 2013
nnenna.1:

Yeah...you are right. His posts are as trollish as they come.

Never argue with a fool. He'll bring you down to his level and beat you with his experience.
grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by purpleclouds: 5:48pm On Apr 27, 2013
So he's a Hausa troll grin so much for loving all cultures

1 Like

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by bigfrancis21: 5:52pm On Apr 27, 2013
Unu a fugo na o gbapugo oso? grin
O fugo na ndi ozo a chawago ya oku, ya gbapu. Nwa afu bu nno ezigbote chinchi.

1 Like

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 5:52pm On Apr 27, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

ok please abeg why cant you go semi-naked like before? that brings out your real beauty. there is no shame in that if its a private organization and is cultural. Even the Zulu/Swazi girls go semi-naked today.

and what happened to those ankle - rings

Why limit it to private organizations if there's something not skeptical about women going barechested in today's world? If Swaziland wants to keep that aspect of their culture, how does that affect Igbo people? Since you've been ranting about remaining in your 'natural, cultural state', Where you even born with clothes? Why do you wear clothes now? Man's natural state is in the nude. grin I hope you're not wearing clothes while you are typing this. grin
And no, today's Igbo women would not provide entertainment for wankers, rapist, and pervs to feast their eyes on, ok. The world is now a global village, you dunno who might be wanking over those Zulu women.

1 Like

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:54pm On Apr 27, 2013
stillwater:

Why limit it to private organizations if there's something not skeptical about women going barechested in today's world? If Swaziland wants to keep that aspect of their culture, how does that affect Igbo people? Since you've been ranting about remaining in your 'natural, cultural state', Where you even born with clothes? Why do you wear clothes now? Man's natural state is in the nude. grin I hope you're not wearing clothes while you are typing this. grin
And no, today's Igbo women would not provide entertainment for wankers, rapist, and pervs to feast their eyes on, ok. The world is now a global village, you dunno who might be wanking over those Zulu women.

well then broadcast it. do it in a cultural way. There is a way of doing things. THose women are not completely unclad. Infact when I see those pictures , i feel respect not attraction.

you must be really sick in the head to entertain such feelings towards these graceful tribal women.

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Malawian(m): 6:00pm On Apr 27, 2013
Afam4eva:
do you by any chance know of any "Ngene" family from obuofia or something? i miss a certain obialamma.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Malawian(m): 6:03pm On Apr 27, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

give up dude. give up. you cant argue with me.
you are right!!! no one can.... or should! you are one of those guys that drag people down to your level and then beat them with experience lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 6:06pm On Apr 27, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Bro, you are right about the wawa name but that's not the real name.
It's just like the way we Agbaja/Wawa call Anambra peeps Agbaenu (nsukka will call them agbaelu). Does that that make agbaenu their name?
The igbo group you know as wawa are the AGBAJA people! That's our name.
Ask any elder from your place.

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Moment Oba Of Lagos House Was Attacked By Mob (video) / Beautiful Russian Girls Speaking Igbo & Dancing Ogene / The Beauty Of Yoruba Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.