Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,111 members, 7,814,897 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:30 PM

The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland (80315 Views)

The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship / The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. / The Marvelous And Beautiful Cultures Of Ghana Aka Kente Land (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by ChinenyeN(m): 6:09pm On Mar 23, 2013
I see. Thank you for taking the time to expand on what you meant. I appreciate it. I would though like to make some comments on a few of the things you mentioned. I like discussions like this.

1. This is all about perspective. Taking it from a cultural perspective (of which it rightly is), we will see that the concept of a supreme being is not the same as "Chukwu". To really understand this, we have to look at the history behind Chukwu. Looking at the history behind Chukwu shows us that Chukwu is not simply a concept of 'Supreme Cosmic Being', but a religious institution. And history shows us that this institution is not some pan-Igbo thing, but rather it is historically particular to the Aro people. Communities throughout Igbo area and beyond all tell the same tale of Aro's precolonial association with the institution of Chukwu (fully realized as Chukwu Abiama/Obiama). I have yet to come across an instance in which a community, with the historical Chukwu Abiama institution, does not associate it with the Aro. I would still credit Aro (and mainly the missionaries) with the spread of "Chukwu". The little research we have on the subject-matter has shown that there existed no historical "Chukwu" institution, within these respective communities, until the Chukwu Abiama institution. The idea and usage of "Chukwu" among mainstream Igbo though, can be effectively credited to missionaries.

2. My perspective on Amadioha is also along the same lines as Chukwu. That "Amadiora" exists within the northern Igbo culture zone does not make Amadioha a pan-Igbo institution. Just as with Chukwu, Amadioha is historically particular to a people, the Ozuzu of Etche. Until this very day, there exists only two legitimate Amadioha oracles, Amadioha of Ozuzu and Igwekala of Umunnoha (which is an offshoot of Amadioha of Ozuzu). Research into the subject has shown that Amadioha's beginnings and existence is rooted in the slave trade (similar to Chukwu Abiama). For Amadioha to exist as the "Amadiora" institution, in the northern Igbo cultural institution suggests a later adoption of the institution via cultural diffusion (similar to Chukwu Abiama).

So, Odumchi, from the way I understand it, if you examined both topics from a cultural perspective (as would be proper), I see no real reason to believe you said anything particularly incorrect.

2 Likes

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Antivirus92(m): 8:53pm On Mar 23, 2013
I wouldn't like to disturb this thread as i have vowed not to involve myself in such thing again. I like the thread odumchi even though alot of lies and contraditions are in it. Pls odumchi, tell ignorant people like chinenye and abagworo to keep off the thread. To odumchi and most people here,you guys don't still know what "igbo" really means and that's why you keep making mistakes.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by ifyalways(f): 3:51am On Mar 25, 2013
The cookie,the cookie is about to crumble.Thread bookmarked cheesy
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by odumchi: 6:47am On Mar 25, 2013
Nice response, Chinenye. I'll get back to you very soon.

Antivirus92: I wouldn't like to disturb this thread as i have vowed not to involve myself in such thing again. I like the thread odumchi even though alot of lies and contraditions are in it. Pls odumchi, tell ignorant people like chinenye and abagworo to keep off the thread. To odumchi and most people here,you guys don't still know what "igbo" really means and that's why you keep making mistakes.

Omara omaragbaa, ndaa aga I mere? O dila ezi anya nza m nusoro mkpotu gi.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Abagworo(m): 8:49am On Mar 25, 2013
Antivirus92: I wouldn't like to disturb this thread as i have vowed not to involve myself in such thing again. I like the thread odumchi even though alot of lies and contraditions are in it. Pls odumchi, tell ignorant people like chinenye and abagworo to keep off the thread. To odumchi and most people here,you guys don't still know what "igbo" really means and that's why you keep making mistakes.

I'm afraid you are the ignorant one. Read this argument on Igboworld congress between Igboukwu and Nri people and tell me who's right or wrong. http://dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/WorldIgboCongress/message/36458

Or better still download and read this book http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/19709056/630751156/name/THE+POLITICS+OF+IGBO+ORIGIN+AND+CULTURE.pdf
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by salam001(m): 5:25pm On Mar 25, 2013
No two historians agree with each other,Its Funny because they both think they are Right
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Ojiofor: 7:30pm On Mar 25, 2013
NRI PRIEST: Don't wanna ridicule your thread but you will do well if you title it "Culture of the Aro-Igbo". [b]This isn't Nri culture [/b]even though you tried to subtly add a bit of it to make it look like what its not. Dude,change the danm title because Aro isn't PURE Igbo!

Why must it be Nri culture the smallest village in Anambra state?Do you think we southern Igbos are fooled by your constant lies that Eri founded Igboland.

2 Likes

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by OdenigboAroli(m): 10:01pm On Mar 25, 2013
Ojiofor:

Why must it be Nri culture the smallest village in Anambra state?Do you think we southern Igbos are fooled by your constant lies that Eri founded Igboland.

Its probably necessary for me to conclude that you are ignorant of Nri settlements. The little village you are talking about is Agukwu-Nri. For your information 99% of all the Igbo towns in Anambra originated from Ifikuanim the the progenitor of Umu Nri. Please,educate yourself about this issue before you make fool of yourself. I dont have to fool you about anything concerning Eri/Eru/Nhi/Nshi/Nri pre eminence in Igboland as the records are thete for you to see. If you feel like any group in you your southern group is equal to the greatness of Ifikuanim and his decendants,bring it up lets see. You people are very ungrateful. I laugh when i see bunch of you wearing the sacred red hat,yet,know nothing about it. Dude,go sit someplace. Nri gave the Igbo a noble culture and we never borrowed from anybody. People borrowed our culture from Igala to Bini to Uhrobo. Even Onicha settlers that came from the great Binin kingdom with all their Bini tradition was overpowered by the much superior Nri culture. Like i said go sit somewhere so that "Umunze" can talk. The culture Igbo celebrate today was mostly invented by Nri you every single one of you must learn to respect it! Nri bu isi Igbo and Nri ji Ofor Igbo.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Ojiofor: 11:52pm On Mar 25, 2013
Glad you said 99% of Anambra communties or does Anambra now equals to Igboland?for your information in my area of Igboland we don't know and do not have any kind of your so called Nri influence be it cultural or political.So you can keep your so called influence within Anambra.If I may ask you, what influence does Nri/Eri have on people of old Bende division?Enough of your spremacist propaganda.Funny' we should be grateful for giving us red cap,sorry my father didn't wear them neither did my forefathers and I am not wearing one cos we dont do ur Nze na Ozo stuff so there is ain't nothing to be grateful for.

2 Likes

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Ojiofor: 11:56pm On Mar 25, 2013
Ojiofor: Glad you said 99% of Anambra communties or does Anambra now equals to Igboland?for your information in my area of Igboland we don't know and do not have any kind of your so called Nri influence be it cultural or political.So you can keep your so called influence within Anambra.If I may ask you, what influence does Nri/Eri have on people of old Bende division?Enough of your spremacist propaganda.Funny' we should be grateful for giving us red cap,sorry my father didn't wear them neither did my forefathers and I am not wearing one cos we dont do ur Nze na Ozo stuff so there is ain't nothing to be grateful for.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by NRIPRIEST(m): 1:10am On Mar 26, 2013
Ojiofor: Glad you said 99% of Anambra communties or does Anambra now equals to Igboland?for your information in my area of Igboland we don't know and do not have any kind of your so called Nri influence be it cultural or political.So you can keep your so called influence within Anambra.If I may ask you, what influence does Nri/Eri have on people of old Bende division?Enough of your spremacist propaganda.Funny' we should be grateful for giving us red cap,sorry my father didn't wear them neither did my forefathers and I am not wearing one cos we dont do ur Nze na Ozo stuff so there is ain't nothing to be grateful for.

The four Igbo market days is an Nri invention,the Ufiejioku/Iwaji/Ili ji are all Nri inventions. You don't wear a red hat but people from Abia do and even in Anambra not everybody wears the red hat. There are Nri settlements in Delta,Enugu and even northern Imo. And please I'm not a SUPREMACIST ! I am just saying that you southern Igbo should recognize the greatness of Nri and the pride it has given the Igbo and respect her. Take Nri out of the Igbo nation and the Igbo is nearly left without culture. Nwata kwochaa aka osolu ogalanya lie ife!
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Ojiofor: 2:06am On Mar 26, 2013
NRI PRIEST:

The four Igbo market days is an Nri invention,the Ufiejioku/Iwaji/Ili ji are all Nri inventions. You don't wear a red hat but people from Abia do and even in Anambra not everybody wears the red hat. There are Nri settlements in Delta,Enugu and even northern Imo. And please I'm not a SUPREMACIST ! I am just saying that you southern Igbo should recognize the greatness of Nri and the pride it has given the Igbo and respect her. Take Nri out of the Igbo nation and the Igbo is nearly left without culture. Nwata kwochaa aka osolu ogalanya lie ife!

You can claim whatever,I won't be giving Nri any special respect than other Igbo communities...my forefathers probably never knew Nri existed and they don't own you any gratitude.So just keep it there ok.Every Igbo culture must be tagged Nri according to you to be accepted as Igbo culture. that is a fat lie.

1 Like

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 2:33am On Mar 26, 2013
Igbo culture seems very interesting.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by odumchi: 5:45am On Mar 26, 2013
ChinenyeN: I see. Thank you for taking the time to expand on what you meant. I appreciate it. I would though like to make some comments on a few of the things you mentioned. I like discussions like this.

1. This is all about perspective. Taking it from a cultural perspective (of which it rightly is), we will see that the concept of a supreme being is not the same as "Chukwu". To really understand this, we have to look at the history behind Chukwu. Looking at the history behind Chukwu shows us that Chukwu is not simply a concept of 'Supreme Cosmic Being', but a religious institution. And history shows us that this institution is not some pan-Igbo thing, but rather it is historically particular to the Aro people. Communities throughout Igbo area and beyond all tell the same tale of Aro's precolonial association with the institution of Chukwu (fully realized as Chukwu Abiama/Obiama). I have yet to come across an instance in which a community, with the historical Chukwu Abiama institution, does not associate it with the Aro. I would still credit Aro (and mainly the missionaries) with the spread of "Chukwu". The little research we have on the subject-matter has shown that there existed no historical "Chukwu" institution, within these respective communities, until the Chukwu Abiama institution. The idea and usage of "Chukwu" among mainstream Igbo though, can be effectively credited to missionaries.

2. My perspective on Amadioha is also along the same lines as Chukwu. That "Amadiora" exists within the northern Igbo culture zone does not make Amadioha a pan-Igbo institution. Just as with Chukwu, Amadioha is historically particular to a people, the Ozuzu of Etche. Until this very day, there exists only two legitimate Amadioha oracles, Amadioha of Ozuzu and Igwekala of Umunnoha (which is an offshoot of Amadioha of Ozuzu). Research into the subject has shown that Amadioha's beginnings and existence is rooted in the slave trade (similar to Chukwu Abiama). For Amadioha to exist as the "Amadiora" institution, in the northern Igbo cultural institution suggests a later adoption of the institution via cultural diffusion (similar to Chukwu Abiama).

So, Odumchi, from the way I understand it, if you examined both topics from a cultural perspective (as would be proper), I see no real reason to believe you said anything particularly incorrect.

You're right. The Delphic "Chukwu Abiama" is intrinsically related to Aro, so therefore "Chukwu" came to be associated with Aro through Aro dealings and Ibini Ukpabi. When we Aro desire to refer to God as an all-knowing prophetic being who, as chief arbitrator of all conflicts, holds all the knowledge in the universe, we call Him "Chukwu". When we choose to describe his more remote and estranged characteristics, we refer to him as "Obasi". What I've realized is that although Chi Ukwu is not exactly an Aro brainchild, in the centuries prior to the missionaries, it was used to refer to the case-settling deity that was believed to reside at Arochukwu.

Let's imagine a scenario. Let's say you and I were farmers who lived in the Ngwa zone sometime in the mid 19th century, and for several years, we have been disputing a particular stretch of land. Now, I then threaten to take our case to "Chukwu" in Arochukwu. Once I mention "Chukwu", you understand that I am making reference to the Aro deity in particular even though our own people's supreme god, Chiokike/Chileke, is also recognized chi ukwu. In other words, in the various culture zones, there are various chi ukwu, but in Aro there is only one Chukwu. I hope you get what I'm trying to say.

And thanks for the clearup on Amadioha. What I'd like to know now are the exact means through which Amadioha and the whole concept of amadi and ohu/oru reached areas of the north that are supposedly under Nri cultural influence.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by odumchi: 5:57am On Mar 26, 2013
Ojiofor: If I may ask you, what influence does Nri/Eri have on people of old Bende division?Enough of your spremacist propaganda.Funny' we should be grateful for giving us red cap,sorry my father didn't wear them neither did my forefathers and I am not wearing one cos we dont do ur Nze na Ozo stuff so there is ain't nothing to be grateful for.

GBAM. Okwu ebie!

NRI PRIEST:
You don't wear a red hat but people from Abia

Odighi. Traditionally, we don't wear red hats in Abia.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by odumchi: 6:10am On Mar 26, 2013
This is how the northern part of Abia generally dresses.

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Abagworo(m): 8:43am On Mar 26, 2013
The truth is that Nri influence was restricted to Northern Imo State and much of Anambra and Enugu. Aro influence covered Igboland and beyond. I've taken out time to study Igbo and I'm still studying them. Like I've always maintained, the Igbo is an amalgamation of many peoples that lived independently in the past and have no definite universal culture that covers the entire Igbo. Things like Oparan, Ada, Oha, Ali, Ofo l'ogu and Chi are the major markers. The importance of Nshi people in their culture area is not in doubt but their relevance ends in there culture zone. Why is it difficult for them to understand? People from Nri culture zone cannot understand 80% of other Igbo languages.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:36pm On Mar 26, 2013
Abagworo: The truth is that Nri influence was restricted to Northern Imo State and much of Anambra and Enugu. Aro influence covered Igboland and beyond. I've taken out time to study Igbo and I'm still studying them. Like I've always maintained, the Igbo is an amalgamation of many peoples that lived independently in the past and have no definite universal culture that covers the entire Igbo. Things like Oparan, Ada, Oha, Ali, Ofo l'ogu and Chi are the major markers. The importance of Nshi people in their culture area is not in doubt but their relevance ends in there culture zone. Why is it difficult for them to understand? People from Nri culture zone cannot understand 80% of other Igbo languages.

The whole Of Igbo land and neigbhoring tribes used Nri invention and thats what i meant by influence. When you say Aro influence covered the whole of Igboland i want you to identify these influece for me. Is there even anything like Aro culture? The only thing we know about Aro is the story of their human selling and how they invaded unaware towns to kidnap humans and go sell human. Aro flourished during slave trade and soon after its destruction by the british her people migrated into the hinterland,settled and was absorbed by more superior groups like Nri. I have told you that a group called Ukpabi settled in Umuoji in the late 18th century but they were absorbed by the Nri and today they are known as "Umuobia". Please,its an insult to even think of comparing Nri and Aro. Its a sin to do that. Nri culture is prestigious and a noble one. Culturally,what has Aro given to Igboland? ??
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:49pm On Mar 26, 2013
And did I hear somebody say something like Ofor na Ogu,Chi and Okpala.....ahahahaha...wow. Well,I am not surprise. Arent you the same cat that said Onicha are Isu migrants. I wonder when ARo discovered these markers....15,16,17 or 18century? You are a pathetic LOSER! Even Umuoji has been using offor na ogu,knows the concept of Chi,Okpala and Ada before the ibibbio ans Aro war.talk more of the most ancient Nri towns like Aguleri,Umuleri and Agukwu. Abeg shift your focuse to Ekpe,Okonko,Nsibidi and Ukpabi. They even borrowed some of these from their neigbhors. Nri bu nkpologwu Ndigbo!
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:17pm On Mar 26, 2013
Ojiofor:

You can claim whatever,I won't be giving Nri any special respect than other Igbo communities...my forefathers probably never knew Nri existed and they don't own you any gratitude.So just keep it there ok.Every Igbo culture must be tagged Nri according to you to be accepted as Igbo culture. that is a fat lie.

You see what happens when you disrespect your father is you get disciplined and discipline can come in different forms. Just because i am an Nri decendant doesnt mean you owe me gratitude but we must learn how to humble ourselves and accept the truth. Do you know that Yoruba didnt have anything like days of the week,months of the year like Igbo do. Without Nri your forefathers will just be like these Yorubas. Benin kingdom used Nri week days and the Ikenga deity was worshipped by both Uhrobo,Bini,Aro and Igala. Swallow your pride and at least pay homage to Nri. All these your fellow southern Igbo who are here running their fingers has used Nri as a beacon of pride whenever they are ridiculled by tribalists from other tribe how would they now come and tried to neglet nor denigrate her. Imagine telling an Igbo history and begins with Aro masqurade. It brings shame to Igboland because Aro has a bad reputation and is not really known for their deep history nor their cultural flamboyance
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Abagworo(m): 1:58pm On Mar 26, 2013
Odenigbo Aroli: And did I hear somebody say something like Ofor na Ogu,Chi and Okpala.....ahahahaha...wow. Well,I am not surprise. Arent you the same cat that said Onicha are Isu migrants. I wonder when ARo discovered these markers....15,16,17 or 18century? You are a pathetic LOSER! Even Umuoji has been using offor na ogu,knows the concept of Chi,Okpala and Ada before the ibibbio ans Aro war.talk more of the most ancient Nri towns like Aguleri,Umuleri and Agukwu. Abeg shift your focuse to Ekpe,Okonko,Nsibidi and Ukpabi. They even borrowed some of these from their neigbhors. Nri bu nkpologwu Ndigbo!

You keep repeating the bolded. Onitsha believe they are rooted in Benin and not Isu so stop the crap. We only erroneously referred to all of the North of us as Isuama in the past. Nri came to Anambra in the 1600s almost the same time Arochukwu was founded in Ibom. Igboukwu is not Nri and no artifact has been found in Nri. Igboukwu people are autochtonous like most other people around them like Awka. Nri came from Igala and were given land by the autochtonous people. It is a betrayal of trust for you to turn around and claim that you founded their land and culture. Aguleri in itself also has its own share of Bini elements like some other Igbos.

[b]The Oka people believe, up to this day, that in all Igbo land they are the most ancient nation, and that no other nation surpasses them in antiquity. They believe that others took the names of their gods from them, as well as the names of the days of their week-Eke, Oye, Avbo and Nkwo. Whether their claims can be made out, is for future researchers to settle. Suffice it to say that Oka as a town is very long in history. When the Onitshas came, the Okas were there. When the Nris came they were there…

Ethnographically, and historically, the town of Aguleri is made up of three major quarters of distinct origins. They include in the order of seniority; Ivite, Ikenga, which constitutes the villages of Igbezunu and Umunkete and Ugwu na Adegbe, also known as Enugwu and Ezi villages. Here, the Okpu Village of Ivite quarters represents the aboriginal or what we earlier defined as the primary settlers and this Ivite claims that they were already there when Eri and other groups came to join them. Eri, definitely an Igala warrior, is said to have founded the present Igbezunu village of Ikenga quarters while the other half, Umunkete was founded by the followers of Onoja Oboni, another Igala warrior who invaded Aguleri many years after Eri. Similarly, the Umuezeora kindred claims to have migrated from what they referred to as Idu-Ime which translated could mean the old Bini kingdom.[/b]
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Ojiofor: 2:30pm On Mar 26, 2013
Odenigbo Aroli:

You see what happens when you disrespect your father is you get disciplined and discipline can come in different forms. Just because i am an Nri decendant doesnt mean you owe me gratitude but we must learn how to humble ourselves and accept the truth. Do you know that Yoruba didnt have anything like days of the week,months of the year like Igbo do. Without Nri your forefathers will just be like these Yorubas. Benin kingdom used Nri week days and the Ikenga deity was worshipped by both Uhrobo,Bini,Aro and Igala. Swallow your pride and at least pay homage to Nri. All these your fellow southern Igbo who are here running their fingers has used Nri as a beacon of pride whenever they are ridiculled by tribalists from other tribe how would they now come and tried to neglet nor denigrate her. Imagine telling an Igbo history and begins with Aro masqurade. It brings shame to Igboland because Aro has a bad reputation and is not really known for their deep history nor their cultural flamboyance

The truth as told by Nri people eh kwa,until you prove your claims with scientific evidence that Nri gave Ndigbo week days and Ikenga...BTW,is Eri Jewish or Igala origin?I had your Eze saying Eri was son of Gad...

1 Like

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by OdenigboAroli(m): 3:13pm On Mar 26, 2013
Abagworo:

You keep repeating the bolded. Onitsha believe they are rooted in Benin and not Isu so stop the crap. We only erroneously referred to all of the North of us as Isuama in the past. Nri came to Anambra in the 1600s almost the same time Arochukwu was founded in Ibom. Igboukwu is not Nri and no artifact has been found in Nri. Igboukwu people are autochtonous like most other people around them like Awka. Nri came from Igala and were given land by the autochtonous people. It is a betrayal of trust for you to turn around and claim that you founded their land and culture. Aguleri in itself also has its own share of Bini elements like some other Igbos.

Dude you are sick in the head the Nri kingdom dates back to 10th century,or even earlier. Igboukwu is an Nri offshoot and has core Nri traditions. Oka is an Nri settlement,you propagandist. Only brain dead monkey like you think that Nri came from Igala. Mind you Aguleri and Umuleri are much older than Nri. You are a propagandist and a compulsive liar! You think you can come here are rewrite the history of my people while is still alive? ? You have a big fight coming your way!
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by OdenigboAroli(m): 3:35pm On Mar 26, 2013
Now Eri is an Igala warrior? Dude,forget about Anambra history and worry about your people because you are beginning to upset me and i dont wanna curse you. How can Awka prove that they are the most ancient? One word is synonymous with most Anambra groups and that is "Ifite"/"Ivite". Anambra is homogeneous,except for a tiny igala group in the north. One thing about Anambra is that all the towns share same deity. Ogwugwu and Ikenga. Yes the Nri met an Igbo group named Adama on arrival but they were absorbed and dominated by the more powerful Nri culture. Stop trying to claim Anambra groups because we are very different. And the Ogboli Eke of Onicha is Nri and so is 80% of Anioma. Dude,leave Anambra alone and try and trace your lineage because like you said we are different in origin. I dont know where tha hell you guys originated from but we are not the same.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by OdenigboAroli(m): 3:47pm On Mar 26, 2013
Ojiofor:

The truth as told by Nri people eh kwa,until you prove your claims with scientific evidence that Nri gave Ndigbo week days and Ikenga...BTW,is Eri Jewish or Igala origin?I had your Eze saying Eri was son of Gad...

The most ancient eke,oye,afor na nkwo deity is in Agukwu as we speak and no group has been able to claim pre existence of the deities. As for Ikenga,that isnt disputable as it is mostly onwed by high ranking Nze na Ozo men and women with Odu title. I have never seen a non Onye Ozo with an Ikenga. As for Gad there is actually Obi/Obu Gad in Agukwu but i m not sure if its connected with the israeli Gad.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by oboy3(m): 4:15pm On Mar 26, 2013
One reason i dont believe Historians is because y'all lie a lot
Abagworo claimed Nri came to Igboland in the 1500s but Ojoto,an Nri town was founded in the year 1420,maybe y'all should just 4get this Nri greater than Aro nonsense,its getting us Nowhere

1 Like

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Abagworo(m): 5:12pm On Mar 26, 2013
Odenigbo Aroli: Now Eri is an Igala warrior? Dude,forget about Anambra history and worry about your people because you are beginning to upset me and i dont wanna curse you. How can Awka prove that they are the most ancient? One word is synonymous with most Anambra groups and that is "Ifite"/"Ivite". Anambra is homogeneous,except for a tiny igala group in the north. One thing about Anambra is that all the towns share same deity. Ogwugwu and Ikenga. Yes the Nri met an Igbo group named Adama on arrival but they were absorbed and dominated by the more powerful Nri culture. Stop trying to claim Anambra groups because we are very different. And the Ogboli Eke of Onicha is Nri and so is 80% of Anioma. Dude,leave Anambra alone and try and trace your lineage because like you said we are different in origin. I dont know where tha hell you guys originated from but we are not the same.

Stop using Anambra here to raise unnecessary sentiments because Anambra is a very recent political creation and has been re-arranged severally. Abakaliki was once in Anambra State and so was Enugu. So if Orashi State is created and Ihiala/Onitsha/Ogbaru is removed then another Anambra will emerge. The truth is that the Awka received Nri and not the other way round.

The Awka people believe, up to this day, that in all
Igbo land they are the most ancient nation, and
that no other nation surpasses them in antiquity.
They believe that others took the names of their
gods from them, as well as the names of the days
of their week-Eke, Oye, Avbo and Nkwo. Whether
their claims can be made out, is for future
researchers to settle. Suffice it to say that Oka as
a town is very long in history. When the Onitshas
came, the Okas were there. When the Nris came
they were there…

Ethnographically, and historically, the town of
Aguleri is made up of three major quarters of
distinct origins. They include in the order of
seniority; Ivite, Ikenga, which constitutes the
villages of Igbezunu and Umunkete and Ugwu na
Adegbe, also known as Enugwu and Ezi villages.
Here, the Okpu Village of Ivite quarters
represents the aboriginal or what we earlier
defined as the primary settlers and this Ivite
claims that they were already there when Eri and
other groups came to join them.
Eri, definitely an
Igala warrior, is said to have founded the present
Igbezunu village of Ikenga quarters while the
other half, Umunkete was founded by the
followers of Onoja Oboni, another Igala warrior
who invaded Aguleri many years after Eri.
Similarly, the Umuezeora kindred claims to have
migrated from what they referred to as Idu-Ime
which translated could mean the old Bini
kingdom.

Writing as far back as 1955, the Aguleri-born M.C.M. Idigo settled this matter of Igala home-base of Eri thus:
The Aguleri people originated from Igara and migrated to their present abode about three or four centuries ago. The leader Eri, a warrior, took his people on a war expedition, and after long travel and many fights, established his camp at Eri-aka, near odanduli stream, a place which lies between Ifite and Igbezunu Aguleri. Eri, with his solders, went out regularly from his settlement to Urada, Nnadi and other surrounding towns on war raids and captured many of the inhabitants. These were the Ibo-speaking people and by mixing with them and inter-marriage, the immigrants adopted the language.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Antivirus92(m): 10:37pm On Mar 26, 2013
Abagworo:

Stop using Anambra here to raise unnecessary sentiments because Anambra is a very recent political creation and has been re-arranged severally. Abakaliki was once in Anambra State and so was Enugu. So if Orashi State is created and Ihiala/Onitsha/Ogbaru is removed then another Anambra will emerge. The truth is that the Awka received Nri and not the other way round.

The Awka people believe, up to this day, that in all
Igbo land they are the most ancient nation, and
that no other nation surpasses them in antiquity.
They believe that others took the names of their
gods from them, as well as the names of the days
of their week-Eke, Oye, Avbo and Nkwo. Whether
their claims can be made out, is for future
researchers to settle. Suffice it to say that Oka as
a town is very long in history. When the Onitshas
came, the Okas were there. When the Nris came
they were there…

Ethnographically, and historically, the town of
Aguleri is made up of three major quarters of
distinct origins. They include in the order of
seniority; Ivite, Ikenga, which constitutes the
villages of Igbezunu and Umunkete and Ugwu na
Adegbe, also known as Enugwu and Ezi villages.
Here, the Okpu Village of Ivite quarters
represents the aboriginal or what we earlier
defined as the primary settlers and this Ivite
claims that they were already there when Eri and
other groups came to join them.
Eri, definitely an
Igala warrior, is said to have founded the present
Igbezunu village of Ikenga quarters while the
other half, Umunkete was founded by the
followers of Onoja Oboni, another Igala warrior
who invaded Aguleri many years after Eri.
Similarly, the Umuezeora kindred claims to have
migrated from what they referred to as Idu-Ime
which translated could mean the old Bini
kingdom.

Writing as far back as 1955, the Aguleri-born M.C.M. Idigo settled this matter of Igala home-base of Eri thus:
The Aguleri people originated from Igara and migrated to their present abode about three or four centuries ago. The leader Eri, a warrior, took his people on a war expedition, and after long travel and many fights, established his camp at Eri-aka, near odanduli stream, a place which lies between Ifite and Igbezunu Aguleri. Eri, with his solders, went out regularly from his settlement to Urada, Nnadi and other surrounding towns on war raids and captured many of the inhabitants. These were the Ibo-speaking people and by mixing with them and inter-marriage, the immigrants adopted the language.
this is what we see when someone out of hatred desperate to prove a point. I bet this is not only history you saw on the internet. But you post this to cause trouble. You're a historian indeed!
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Antivirus92(m): 10:48pm On Mar 26, 2013
Awka is the centre of nri civilisation. Eri/nri culture is what we observe today as the igbo culture. Nri is not agukwu only, nri includes enugwu-ukwu,enugwu-agidi,nise,nnokwa,awka,ojoto,nsukka,ogwashi-ukwu,isele-ukwu,asaba,igbuzo etc. Eke,oye,afo,nkwo,ofo na ogu,nze na ozo,iwa ji, oji,nzu,nze etc are all nri inventions.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Antivirus92(m): 10:52pm On Mar 26, 2013
odumchi: Nice response, Chinenye. I'll get back to you very soon.

Omara omaragbaa, ndaa aga I mere? O dila ezi anya nza m nusoro mkpotu gi.
onye mgbagha na onye mkposa, adim mma. Kedu ka ginwa melu?
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by ChinenyeN(m): 2:50am On Mar 27, 2013
This is just too funny. Abeg, leave these Nri/Eri to believe what they want to believe. It doesn't change the fact that none of our traditions even once recognizes their existence. If they want, let them claim "Nri hegemony". It still does not change the fact that history will show our various societies as having developed independently of them. And most of all, if they want, let them continue to call their culture "ancient". It's their own cup of tea to drink, because all the claiming in the world will never change the fact that the memory of their own migration into the area remains fresh while communities from Awka to Okigwe, Orlu to northern Ngwa remain autochthonous, and each with their peculiar cultures.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by ChinenyeN(m): 6:55am On Mar 27, 2013
odumchi:

You're right. The Delphic "Chukwu Abiama" is intrinsically related to Aro, so therefore "Chukwu" came to be associated with Aro through Aro dealings and Ibini Ukpabi. When we Aro desire to refer to God as an all-knowing prophetic being who, as chief arbitrator of all conflicts, holds all the knowledge in the universe, we call Him "Chukwu". When we choose to describe his more remote and estranged characteristics, we refer to him as "Obasi". What I've realized is that although Chi Ukwu is not exactly an Aro brainchild, in the centuries prior to the missionaries, it was used to refer to the case-settling deity that was believed to reside at Arochukwu.

Let's imagine a scenario. Let's say you and I were farmers who lived in the Ngwa zone sometime in the mid 19th century, and for several years, we have been disputing a particular stretch of land. Now, I then threaten to take our case to "Chukwu" in Arochukwu. Once I mention "Chukwu", you understand that I am making reference to the Aro deity in particular even though our own people's supreme god, Chiokike/Chileke, is also recognized chi ukwu. In other words, in the various culture zones, there are various chi ukwu, but in Aro there is only one Chukwu. I hope you get what I'm trying to say.

And thanks for the clearup on Amadioha. What I'd like to know now are the exact means through which Amadioha and the whole concept of amadi and ohu/oru reached areas of the north that are supposedly under Nri cultural influence.

I believe you and I are saying the same thing, with the exception of "chi ukwu". Though it is true that the various culture zones had a understanding of "supreme cosmic force/being", I wouldn't go so far as to say that they recognized it, or realized this understanding in terms of "chi ukwu". In the Ngwa/Ukwa culture zone, for instance, the introduction of the expression "chi ukwu" into our region is 100% credited to the Aro. We never use it as a culture. Our "chi ukwu" is/was Chileke, but we never understood Chileke within the context of "chi ukwu". The traditional concept of Chi is singular and did not incorporate an "ukwu" or complementary "nta" naming convention. Whether it was personal or cosmic, Chi was/is Chi. So we never had "chi ukwu".

If you ask me, the Aro invention of Chukwu was pretty revolutionary for the time-period. I tip my hat off to the Aro ancestors who fostered such a concept and the deity into existence. It really proved to the an effective business asset and even earned itself a notable position in the history of oracular trade. It might as well be the godparent of oracular trade.

The concept of Amadi is not the same throughout Igbo area. I know that for you, in Aro culture, amadi is freeborn. In my culture zone though (this holds true for communities from Mbaise to Echie and I believe Ikwere also), amadi is a social/political elite; an individual with substance and influence. The closest approximation in English would probably be a cross between "bureaucrat" and "nobleman". An amadi's behavior is typically considered "just" (people tend to translate it as "noble" ). At the same time, we also tend to culturally view the amadi as "ruthless". This is because amadi are versed in the norms, customs and laws of the community, and often times culturally play the role of community arbitrators. As arbitrators, they display their "just" side in the way they handle cases and display their "ruthless" side in how they deal with offenders and guilty parties. This is where "Amadiohna" (personification of justice) comes from. It is from this sense of amadi that "Amadiohna" was coined.

We also use amadi in a second sense to refer to a well-aged and respectable man in the community. Often times, we use the expression "okhe amadi" for this sense. Okhe Amadi is to us (the same Ngwa/Echie stretch) as Ichie title is to others.

I can't say how Amadiohna or the concept of amadi (which I'm not sure they actually have) made their way up north, but it would likely have been similar to how "chi ukwu" made its way across Igboland, through oracular trade. Echie oracular trade routed upward into Isu communities. It seems plausible that the displacement of several Isu communities and the establishment of Amadiohna oracular outposts (such as Igwekala) helped diffuse Amadiohna into the region.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Moment Oba Of Lagos House Was Attacked By Mob (video) / Beautiful Russian Girls Speaking Igbo & Dancing Ogene / The Beauty Of Yoruba Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 141
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.