Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,317 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:12 AM

The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland (80333 Views)

The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship / The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. / The Marvelous And Beautiful Cultures Of Ghana Aka Kente Land (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by PAPAAFRICA: 7:37am On Apr 24, 2013
obadiah777: THERE IS NOTHING MARVELLOUS ABOUT ALL THIS NONSENSE. THESE ARE IGBO CULTURES AFTER THE FACT. THESE ARE ALL BABYLONIAN AND EGYPTIAN IDOLATRY VOODOO PAGAN NONSENSE THAT YOU ACQUIRED ALONG THE WAY. THE REAL IGBO CULTURE IS THE SCRIPTURES, AND DRESSING MODESTLY COVERING ALL YOUR BODY. WHAT IS SHOWN IN THOSE PICTURES IS AN ABOMINATION. YOU PEOPLE ARE PART OF THE REAL JEWS THAT RAN INTO IGBOLAND IN 70 AD AFTER THE ROMAN ARMY KICKED YOU OUT OF JERUSALEM. SAME WITH THE YORUBAS. ALL THESE PICTURES ARE AN ABOMINATION. WALKING AROUND HALF NEKKID WITH B-REAST ALL OUT AND PAGAN STUFFS ALL AROUND. angry
you are no Jew of any kind, your Igbo, embrace it.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by phreakabit(m): 7:45am On Apr 24, 2013
PAPA AFRICA: you are no Jew of any kind, your Igbo, embrace it.

God bless you! he is clearly confused. Plus he thinks Christianity is a Jewish thing.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Qrisful: 8:09am On Apr 24, 2013
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by BankuTilapia: 8:18am On Apr 24, 2013
Is diz a joke or wot, everyone is proud of where he/she is coming from. Proudly Akan and a Ghanaian for life. grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by ceebo1420(m): 8:22am On Apr 24, 2013
I love my people igbo mma mma nu

5 Likes

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by league11(m): 8:29am On Apr 24, 2013
odumchi: Next is Igbo Religion.
Igbo religion is a complex matter since the Igbos did notall worship the same deities. In the early days, the Igbos practiced Anscestor worship. This is a type of traditional religion in which time, space and the universe was governed by a council of deceased elders who resided in the spirit world. However, as time passed and religious ideals became more complex, Igbos began adopting deities in addition with ancestral worship.

Out of thee many gods and deities which often differed from town to town, three main "gods" arose[b]: Anyawu (who was worhsipped mainly in northern Igboland), Amadioha (Who was worshipped mainly in South Igboland) and Chukwu.[/b]

Anywawu was the sun god. He was worshipped because he was seen as the producer of daylight and he sun.

Amadioha (litteraly translated means "the free will of the people". Amadioha was a god of thunder and lightning, the god of power and action who was there to serve justice to the people.

Chukwu was the last of these "deities" to come into existence. Chukwu, originally Chi-ukwu (meaning the great god) came from Arochukwu. The people of Arochukwu were the original worshippers of Chukwu- A diety who was seen as the supreme God of all creation. The people of Arochukwu recognised the presence of many other dieties such as Amadioha but continued to worshuip only Chukwu, and were perhaps a monptheistic people. The idea of Chukwu spread throughout all of Igboland andtoday it has come to mean the one true God.

My father would always say that they went to arochukwu to enquire of a matter from chukwu. They believed this Chukwu is a great God, no wonder Arochukwu lineage is always linked with d jews. But in what manner are they worshiping d Chukwu then?

Pls can someone clarify me on this, who are Northen Igbos and Southern Igbos?
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Paschal007: 8:31am On Apr 24, 2013
ItsModella:
the crap in this post is just overwhelming.
Maybe you didn't understand. That was interesting.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by sol2galay: 8:31am On Apr 24, 2013
Andre Uweh: One of the marvelous cultures of Ndigbo is being exhibited in Traditional Igbo marriage called Igba Nkwu. And in some places , it is called Ibu mmaya, Ipa Mmanya or Ihe Nrisa as in my part of Igboland (Isinweke, Obowu, Nsu).

BRO POST PICTURES THAT MY COMPLETE IGBO CULTURE AND ATTIRE,THIS IS BORROWED DRESS FROM YOURUBA.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Lakkyjay(m): 8:33am On Apr 24, 2013
Unique and lovely Culture.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by StevenJay01(m): 8:36am On Apr 24, 2013
Very boring thread.who brought such to front page?what else do you have to say on these bush clans who claimed they once had kingdom**walking into the daylight**

1 Like

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by league11(m): 8:42am On Apr 24, 2013
phreakabit:

God bless you! he is clearly confused. Plus he thinks Christianity is a Jewish thing.

If u dont believe someone's story, simply write yours. Meanwhile if you don't know that Christianity is a Jewish thing read John 4:22
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Afam4eva(m): 8:55am On Apr 24, 2013
The usual suspects have surfaced on this thread to destroy it with their usual supremacist thinking. They'll never create any thread but will always be ready to destroy one created by others. If everything on this thread is about Southern Igbos, that does not change anything cos they're Igbos and it's Igbo culture.

3 Likes

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by mildteddy(m): 9:09am On Apr 24, 2013
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by mildteddy(m): 9:10am On Apr 24, 2013
please can anyone here, educate us on the concept of "Olu na Igbo". From the best of my knowledge, the ancestors of the Olu in Igboland lived near river basins, while the Igbos lived on hills and elevated lands; Onicha people for instance are Olu, while Enugwu are Igbo, stuff like that?
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by babestell(f): 9:14am On Apr 24, 2013
One of the few Igbo traditions that I totally disagree with is that of the Osu caste system. Unfortunately it is still practiced in my village. And some people have refused to accept that it has to be done away with. if we were to stick to the old traditions then we should have nothing at all to do with them (some places you ca drink from the same cup as Osu). Nowadays I think most people just stick to marriage. you can interact with them but u cant marry. To me that is the biggest hypocrisy ever

But apart from that, Am proudly Igbo. OP thanks for educating me some more about my people. Unfortunately am one of those my-papa-tell-me-say-I-be-igbo (blame my parents for not training me well)

1 Like

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Abagworo(m): 9:48am On Apr 24, 2013
babestell: One of the few Igbo traditions that I totally disagree with is that of the Osu caste system. Unfortunately it is still practiced in my village. And some people have refused to accept that it has to be done away with. if we were to stick to the old traditions then we should have nothing at all to do with them (some places you ca drink from the same cup as Osu). Nowadays I think most people just stick to marriage. you can interact with them but u cant marry. To me that is the biggest hypocrisy ever

But apart from that, Am proudly Igbo. OP thanks for educating me some more about my people. Unfortunately am one of those my-papa-tell-me-say-I-be-igbo (blame my parents for not training me well)

Its either you are not Igbo or you are one of those surrounded by non-Igbos that tell you lies about your tradition and you believe them. Osu has been done away with in Igboland but there still exists pockets of hardliners and FYI it was only marriage and title taking that the Osu couldn't engage with non-Osu. Its same as some families till today refusing to marry Catholics because they are Pentecostal or Catholics refusing to give Knighthood to a Protestant.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Lilimax(f): 9:55am On Apr 24, 2013
Proudly Igbo girl wink. Ada NRI for that matter.
NRI BU ISI IGBO... no doubt!
NRI JI OFOR IGBO... correct!

1 Like

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:25am On Apr 24, 2013
naijaking1: @poster
Good job!
I hope someone will open a similar thread on our cousins the Efiks, Ijaws, Edos, Yorubas, and even the Hausas!

I already did one on the Pure Hausa. It even reached the front page. But it was mostly a pictorial thread. you can check my past topics for that.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by phreakabit(m): 10:27am On Apr 24, 2013
league11:

If u dont believe someone's story, simply write yours. Meanwhile if you don't know that Christianity is a Jewish thing read John 4:22

And what is Judaism?
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:27am On Apr 24, 2013
mimifonwon: am sorry i dont know if this is a positive or negative, but i have never met any group or tribe as proud as igbos. I cherish my igbo side, but sometimes it just gets tooo much. I mean i understand a people once suppressed to almost extinction will always glorify when they can and there is nothing wrong with that, but it gets too much. Like for example, my cousins met these igbo young guys like them at the newark airport and first thing they shouted after speaking to eachother was " ahhh my brothers, nna nyem aka, ndi igbo kwenu...kwezue.unu...." and they all made a scene with their replies, i was kinda of embarrassed as they shook hand. I couldnt look up from where i sat, and most of the people in the airport was looking at them. One oyibo couple asked them, so are you guys family. My cousins laughed and told them, that they were just meeting their fellow igbo people for the first time. The oyibo husband was amazed and just looked astonished. So i ask why do "we"( i say us cuz am partly a member of the igbo bloodline) feel the need to let everyone know that we are igbo all the time. What do you guys gain from the display of overzealous pride? sometimes you guys confuse me.

That is a very good sign. If you are half-bred you wont understand this. Tribes are meant to be like one large Unified family. That is the purpose of a tribe. Oyinbos dont have this concept of "family" because they have lost all their tribes. They have become selfish "every man for himself" lot. that explains the high divorce rates.

Such signs of kinship as you spoke of is a good sign of Strong Tribal ties. It is very healthy.

1 Like

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:29am On Apr 24, 2013
bad people: Tribalism, that's part of problem will face in this country, even among our young people, who started this tread, the poster needs a long way to go, when the looters capitalist in power are sharing our money or planning their evil deeds to put the poor into more miserable conditions, they never talk about tribe, religion, lets wise up

1 MILLION DISLIKES

1 Like

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:31am On Apr 24, 2013

hes mental. leave him be. he is an escaped mental patient from the vatican.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:31am On Apr 24, 2013
phreakabit:

ofcourse it is. its totally plagarized.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:35am On Apr 24, 2013
babestell: One of the few Igbo traditions that I totally disagree with is that of the Osu caste system. Unfortunately it is still practiced in my village. And some people have refused to accept that it has to be done away with. if we were to stick to the old traditions then we should have nothing at all to do with them (some places you ca drink from the same cup as Osu). Nowadays I think most people just stick to marriage. you can interact with them but u cant marry. To me that is the biggest hypocrisy ever

THE OSU WERE ONCE PRIVELEGED, RESPECTED AND FEARED PEOPLE DEDICATED TO THE GODS.

HOWEVER WHEN CHRISTIANITY CAME, ANYONE ASSOCIATED WITH THE OLD TRUE GODS, WAS CONSIDERED DEVILISH AND OUTCASTE. THIS IS WHY YOU IGBOS TODAY DISCRIMINATE AGAINST THEM.

BAN CHRISTIANITY, RESTORE THE DIGNITY OF THE OSU.
BAN CHRISTIANITY, . .. . SAVE NAIJA.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:36am On Apr 24, 2013
phreakabit:

And what is Judaism?

judaism came before christianity. it is independant.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 10:42am On Apr 24, 2013
HEBREW HEEBOE EEBOE EEBO EBO IBO <<< THIS HOW YOUR NAME MORPHED OVER TIME FROM HEBREW TO IBO.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 10:45am On Apr 24, 2013
phreakabit:

CHRISTIANITY IS A MAN MADE RELIGION. I NEVER SAID CHRISTIANITY IS JEWISH. THE SCRIPTURES IS A LIFESTYLE NOT A RELIGION. SHOWS YOU HOW TO DRESS, WHAT TO EAT, HOW TO TREAT PEOPLE AND A HISTORY OF OUR PEOPLE ( I AM NOT IGBO BY THE WAY EVEN BY TODAYS CLASSIFICATION. I AM YOUR SUPPOSED ARCH-ENEMY ON THE WEST WHOM YOU SO ELOQUENTLY AND FONDLY CALL OFE MMNANU )
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:48am On Apr 24, 2013
obadiah777: I AM YOUR SUPPOSED ARCH-ENEMY ON THE WEST WHOM YOU SO ELOQUENTLY AND FONDLY CALL OFE MMNANU )

*smh . . ....that explains alot.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 10:51am On Apr 24, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

*smh . . ....that explains alot.
grin grin HOWEVER I AM A HEBREW ISRAELITE FIRST. I DO NOT TAKE ON OR ASSUME PRIMITIVE CUSTOMS LIKE THE YORUBAS AND IGBOS DO. BOTH CULTURES ARE NO DIFFERENT THAN HEATHENS. THE CULTURE IS FILTHY. I AM ABOVE THE YORUBA OR IGBO CULTURE. I AM WALKING IN THE CULTURE WE HAD BEFORE PUTTING ON THE HEATHEN LIFESTYLE. AS YOU CAN SEE FROM THE PICTURES IN THE THREAD, THE IGBO PEOPLE ARE A DESTROYED PEOPLE, AS WELL AS THE YORUBA OF COURSE. WALKING AROUND BUTT NEKKID LIKE SAVAGES. LIKE SOME GADDEM HAMITES FROM ETHIOPIA OR SOMALIA OR SUDAN. THATS WHOSE CULTURE YOU HAVE NOW. HAMITIC CULTURE
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:55am On Apr 24, 2013
obadiah777: grin grin HOWEVER I AM A HEBREW ISRAELITE FIRST. I DO NOT TAKE ON OR ASSUME PRIMITIVE CUSTOMS LIKE THE YORUBAS AND IGBOS DO. BOTH CULTURES ARE NO DIFFERENT THAN HEATHENS. THE CULTURE IS FILTHY. I AM ABOVE THE YORUBA OR IGBO CULTURE. I AM WALKING IN THE CULTURE WE HAD BEFORE PUTTING ON THE HEATHEN LIFESTYLE. AS YOU CAN SEE FROM THE PICTURES IN THE THREAD, THE IGBO PEOPLE ARE A DESTROYED PEOPLE, AS WELL AS THE YORUBA OF COURSE. WALKING AROUND BUTT NEKKID LIKE SAVAGES

ah i see. so did you get your israeli passport yet? they must be craving for you to come there so they can kiss your dirty divine feet. .

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (16) (Reply)

Moment Oba Of Lagos House Was Attacked By Mob (video) / Beautiful Russian Girls Speaking Igbo & Dancing Ogene / The Beauty Of Yoruba Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.