Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,747 members, 7,824,150 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:48 AM

The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland (80410 Views)

The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship / The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. / The Marvelous And Beautiful Cultures Of Ghana Aka Kente Land (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Antivirus92(m): 4:37pm On Mar 30, 2013
odumchi:

Amadiora isn't mine. According to Chinua Achebe, it's yours. Since none of you have bothered to provide any substantial evidence to dispel that, I'm forced to maintain my belief.
then stop bothering urself and stop writting craps in the name of igbo. Just write about ur arochukwu.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by odumchi: 4:41pm On Mar 30, 2013
Antivirus92: then stop bothering urself and stop writting craps in the name of igbo. Just write about ur arochukwu Nri.

See your own. grin

1 Like

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by salam001(m): 4:49pm On Mar 30, 2013
This is one of the funniest threads i have ever seen on Nl,hilarious if you ask me
i would say Igbo are one cos if not then tell who are the aborigines and who are the Migrants and how come they speak one language but different dialects
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Antivirus92(m): 5:11pm On Mar 30, 2013
salam001: This is one of the funniest threads i have ever seen on Nl,hilarious if you ask me
i would say Igbo are one cos if not then tell who are the aborigines and who are the Migrants and how come they speak one language but different dialects
bros, that's what we're trying to do but they keep telling us about "diverse this and diverse that".
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by NRIPRIEST(m): 5:41pm On Mar 30, 2013
odumchi:

Amadiora isn't mine. According to Chinua Achebe, it's yours. Since none of you have bothered to provide any substantial evidence to dispel that, I'm forced to maintain my belief.

You keep mentioning "Amadiora" but you forgot to understand that the book which Chinua wrote was a work based on the reflect of Igbo traditions and not a comprehensive Nri portrayal. He may have reflected the traditions of other Igbo groups in his books. My point is that just because Achebe metion "Amadiora" doesn't mean Northern Igbo had it. For example,the stories of the "Ibini Ukpabi" reached the northern Igbo but they never had it. If you know any northern group that has "Amadiora" let me know,so,we can nip this in the bud. I know Ogidi like I know Umuoji and Ogidi doesn't have "Amadiora".
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by NRIPRIEST(m): 5:44pm On Mar 30, 2013
odumchi:

Other than in his book I want to know where Achebe openly claimed that Igbo in the north has "Amadiora".
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by odumchi: 6:03pm On Mar 30, 2013
NRI PRIEST:

You keep mentioning "Amadiora" but you forgot to understand that the book which Chinua wrote was a work based on the reflect of Igbo traditions and not a comprehensive Nri portrayal. He may have reflected the traditions of other Igbo groups in his books. My point is that just because Achebe metion "Amadiora" doesn't mean Northern Igbo had it. For example,the stories of the "Ibini Ukpabi" reached the northern Igbo but they never had it. If you know any northern group that has "Amadiora" let me know,so,we can nip this in the bud. I know Ogidi like I know Umuoji and Ogidi doesn't have "Amadiora".

"Things Fall Apart" was not based on "Igbo traditions". It was based strictly on Idemili (and by extension, Nri) culture. Chinua Achebe made sure to incorporate the main deities of Idemili (Ogwugwu, Ani, and Idemili) and included Amadiora, which I'm sure he mentioned for a reason.

If I may ask, what's the name of the sky/thunder deity in Idemili?
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 8:29pm On Mar 30, 2013
Ermm... I think this odumchi guy has no business in this thread!
Seeing that you're not igbo or rather half breed.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by ChinenyeN(m): 8:31pm On Mar 30, 2013
I find it funny how these Nri town-criers are claiming "Igbo culture" as their birthright (Igbo culture is "Nri" etc nonsense). Yet, now that it comes to one simple thing as "Amadiora" (funny it should be in their tongue), they will say that it is not part of their culture. So is Amadiora now no longer "Igbo cuture" (shebi "Igbo culture" na Nri culture)? In that case, does that mean that my own culture is not "Igbo culture"?

HAHAH I no dey complain. At least they are now no longer trying to hard to fight the truth that other people don't practice their Igbo Nri culture. Owhnooooooooo we.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 8:36pm On Mar 30, 2013
Okay.
Nri culture is not the same thing as igbo culture.
It obviously isn't!
Unless someone is in need to lord 'themselves' over the rest of the people.
What I don't agree with is trying to paint a picture of an entirely distinct people comprising the igbo nation!
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by ChinenyeN(m): 8:37pm On Mar 30, 2013
"Igbo culture is not diverse"... "Igbo people are not diverse"... "Igbo culture is Nri"... yet, when Odumchi posts a thread about Igbo culture (shebi, is it not?), all hell breaks loose because they want to claim that "diversity"... ii ughalama hahhahahavahaha
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by ChinenyeN(m): 9:19pm On Mar 30, 2013
Looooool. Abegi, I am a proud Ngwa, and I'm not denying Nri footing in the formation of 20th century Igbo ethnicity, but please. You Eri spawn should know your limit. When communities surrounding you are pointing and calling you settlers; when communities near and beyond don't even recognize your name or your eze; you should simply know then to shut up.

Kaa miirni hnwe la i ra; ma akaa miirni hnwe ma ara.

A koruora okhe ngwhere ya akuruo isi.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by salam001(m): 9:39pm On Mar 30, 2013
ChinenyeN: Looooool. Abegi, I am a proud Ngwa, and I'm not denying Nri footing in the formation of 20th century Igbo ethnicity, but please. You Eri spawn should know your limit. When communities surrounding you are pointing and calling you settlers; when communities near and beyond don't even recognize your name or your eze; you should simply know then to shut up.
na so e dey pain u reach eh?
hmmm,ngwa ke!,i fear u from today,i heard human flesh known as 'ajuri' is a delicacy in your Area,how true?
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 9:39pm On Mar 30, 2013
^Of course you have every right to do that...
But the big question is are your people distinct?
I think this particular problem as we are discussing was birthed by the British.
However, it is my opinion that it was inevitable.
Fact is, the Igbo nation as we know it today "is a creation of British officers,and based off a deluded and false understanding of Nri as a centre."
But, we would have still grown to become a nation in the present context, however on a different foundation. They disrupted the whole process and hastened the formation, which is why this issue exists in the first place.

1 Like

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by ChinenyeN(m): 9:46pm On Mar 30, 2013
salam001: na so e dey pain u reach eh?
hmmm,ngwa ke!,i fear u from today,i heard human flesh known as 'ajuri' is a delicacy in your Area,how true?

Lol come make we chop hnw'uru 2geda.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by salam001(m): 9:54pm On Mar 30, 2013
ChinenyeN:

Lol come make we chop hnw'uru 2geda.
mbanu,nwa Nri will rather eat Dog or Python
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by ChinenyeN(m): 9:56pm On Mar 30, 2013
kwangi: ^Of course you have every right to do that...
But the big question is are your people distinct?
I think this particular problem as we are discussing was birthed by the British.
However, it is my opinion that it was inevitable.
Fact is, the Igbo nation as we know it today "is a creation of British officers,and based off a deluded and false understanding of Nri as a centre."
But, we would have still grown to become a nation in the present context, however on a different foundation. They disrupted the whole process and hastened the formation, which is why this issue exists in the first place.

Until the 20th century, my community remained distinct, as a people. Igbo being the creation that it is does not all of a sudden delegitimize the distinction of my community or any community for that matter, especially considering how we continue to maintain our sense of distinction, despite this new "Igbo" tag.

1 Like

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by ChinenyeN(m): 10:02pm On Mar 30, 2013
salam001: mbanu,nwa Nri will rather eat Dog or Python

Eehn? You be nwa Nri?! Jhahu wo nnu. Don't worry. My pipu go soon introduce you to true indigenous life, hnw'uru and all. Haha
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by salam001(m): 10:09pm On Mar 30, 2013
ChinenyeN:

Eehn? You be nwa Nri?! Jhahu wo nnu. Don't worry. My pipu go soon introduce you to true indigenous life, hnw'uru and all. Haha
thanks but no thanks
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by ChinenyeN(m): 10:18pm On Mar 30, 2013
Hewu, I say come chop and you come refuse? Ahn ahn. You no wan taste delicacies?
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 10:19pm On Mar 30, 2013
ChinenyeN:

Until the 20th century, my community remained distinct, as a people. Igbo being the creation that it is does not all of a sudden delegitimize the distinction of my community or any community for that matter, especially considering how we continue to maintain our sense of distinction, despite this new "Igbo" tag.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 10:19pm On Mar 30, 2013
ChinenyeN:

Yeah, I get your drift.
I'm of Agbaja origin aka Wawa and I know I ain't got no business with that Nri gist as most people understand it.
However, I'll like you to explain what you mean by distinct/distinction so that...

1 Like

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by EzeUche(m): 11:41pm On Mar 30, 2013
Antivirus92: then all of this ur thread should be deleted and the title be changed to "arochukwu culture" because every thing in it is of arochukwu(ibibio) and not igbo. I will say it again, my anscestors founded the igbo and it's cultures/traditions.

When you insult the Arochukwu, you insult one of the largest Igbo clans in Igboland.

Remember the Aro have settlements in all Igbo states. We even have settlements in Anambra and they do not recognize the authority of Nri, but the Eze Aro in Arochukwu.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by EzeUche(m): 11:43pm On Mar 30, 2013
Why do UMU NRI try to force their beliefs on other Igbos?

The Southern Igbo clans do not recognize the authority of Nri.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by ChinenyeN(m): 12:35am On Mar 31, 2013
kwangi: Yeah, I get your drift.
I'm of Agbaja origin aka Wawa and I know I ain't got no business with that Nri gist as most people understand it.
However, I'll like you to explain what you mean by distinct/distinction so that...
Distinction in terms of history, traditional culture and spirituality, and ethnic consciousness.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 12:54am On Mar 31, 2013
ChinenyeN:
Distinction in terms of history, traditional culture and spirituality, and ethnic consciousness.
Will like to touch the history and spirituality angle but that's gonna be later.
Gotta catch some sleep.

1 Like

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:53am On Mar 31, 2013
EzeUche:

When you insult the Arochukwu, you insult one of the largest Igbo clans in Igboland.

Remember the Aro have settlements in all Igbo states. We even have settlements in Anambra and they do not recognize the authority of Nri, but the Eze Aro in Arochukwu.

Ezeuche the Aro supremacis,how have you been,brother?
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by salam001(m): 9:22am On Mar 31, 2013
This one that everybody wants to claim a piece of Anambra,hian
Anambra obodo Oma,Anambra Obodo dike
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 6:52pm On Mar 31, 2013
ChinenyeN:
How far back can you trace the history of your people?
What is in the core of your community's spirituality that qualifies it as 'distinct' from 'Igbo' spirituality?
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 6:54pm On Mar 31, 2013
BTW, there is a post missing on this page!
How did that happen?
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 9:26pm On Mar 31, 2013
Typical divisive Igbo thread with the usual suspects.

*yawns*
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by ChinenyeN(m): 3:54am On Apr 03, 2013
kwangi: How far back can you trace the history of your people?
What is in the core of your community's spirituality that qualifies it as 'distinct' from 'Igbo' spirituality?

This is where I think people start getting it wrong, especially when it comes to discussing Igbo dynamics. In my opinion, the question isn't even a good question to ask for several reasons.

1. Virtually all human spirituality is the same at its core.
2. The question gives way for people to make unstandardized assumptions as to what "Igbo" spirituality is.
3. The question seems to devoid spirituality of the cultural context that surrounds it.

Anyway, that is just so we understand each other, in terms of perspective. I don't view the distinction as being rooted in the aspects, but rather in the holistic outlook.

On to the question. One thing, at the core of my community's spirituality, that quickly comes to mind is that the spiritual concepts of arusi/alusi "deities" are not a part of my community's traditional spirituality. In place of arusi/alusi we have agwhu. Unlike arusi/alusi, agwhu do not represent supernatural forces/beings, but rather naturalistic elements, and they are not deified. Agwhu have a more ritualistic purpose and are not supernatural.

Another thing that comes to mind is that our spirituality traditionally lacks "eze". Prior to the mid-20th century, there were no "eze" in my community. Traditional spirituality, in our community, was devoid of "priests". Instead, the Onye nnwe ala (lineage head, also the possessor of ofo ukwu) officiated at the main spiritual rites of the community. By the mid-20th century (when "eze"-ship began to permeate into my community, as a rebranding of the warrant chief system), the Onye nnwe ala also came to be referred to as "Eze ofo" or "Eze muo", though Onye nnwe ala remains the preferred expression in my community.

There are more, but it becomes increasingly difficult to attempt to discuss each of these aspects of spirituality outside of their cultural contexts. Whole articles can be written about each one, because simply saying "we do this" or "we don't have that" often requires an explanation.

As for tracing history, the common tradition we share with communities in Mbaise (who we recognize ancestral kinship with and vice versa) traces our history back to creation, saying that our current locale is the same place that Chileke created our ancestors.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Moment Oba Of Lagos House Was Attacked By Mob (video) / Beautiful Russian Girls Speaking Igbo & Dancing Ogene / The Beauty Of Yoruba Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.