Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,718 members, 7,816,956 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:12 PM

Is It A Cultural Thing, That Nigerian Men Are Jealous? - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Is It A Cultural Thing, That Nigerian Men Are Jealous? (7874 Views)

What Is That Thing That Naija Men Do That Turns You Off Completely? / What's The First Thing That Attracts You To The Opposite Sex? / 10 Manly Qualities Women Are Jealous Of! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It A Cultural Thing, That Nigerian Men Are Jealous? by harakiri(m): 9:43pm On Aug 27, 2011
@wildwater, of course I read through the thread. . . Especially the "Nigerian men being jealous" part, as if jealousy is a "Nigerian" word. Not cool.
Re: Is It A Cultural Thing, That Nigerian Men Are Jealous? by wildwater: 9:50pm On Aug 27, 2011
Sorry, you are right, not well explaned. It´s just I am looking for an explanation for his behaviour and I thought, perhaps there was some cultural thing I do not understand. You know, in my country, any man would like it, if I come along with his friends and family, invite them for dinner or the like, he doesn´t even want me to talk to them on fb. And when I suggested to my husband, that we could invite some friend of him to my country anyway, if he likes that, he wasn´t pleased either. I thought perhaps there was something a Nigerian could explain me about his country and what things are handled like, I saw not so many differences when I was there, which makes me quite baffled anyway.
Re: Is It A Cultural Thing, That Nigerian Men Are Jealous? by wildwater: 9:51pm On Aug 27, 2011
And the difference, know we are back, is the more to me, because there e.g. one evening I cooked some dishes from my country for eight of his friends and he liked it, but it´s the same people he doesn´t want me to talk to now.
Re: Is It A Cultural Thing, That Nigerian Men Are Jealous? by nkeco: 10:22pm On Aug 27, 2011
if you really love someone, keep the person's law,
Re: Is It A Cultural Thing, That Nigerian Men Are Jealous? by harakiri(m): 11:00pm On Aug 27, 2011
@wildwater, Trust him! He has his reasons and if he doesn't talk about, don't ask. Trust me, I feel this guy and it might be for the best!
Re: Is It A Cultural Thing, That Nigerian Men Are Jealous? by wildwater: 11:17pm On Aug 27, 2011
@harakiri: Thx, I suppose you are right, the last posting said all the same that I feel in my heart, that I should trust him, anyway, I did what he wanted, I didn´t accept the fb contacts, it´s just sometimes very difficult if you can´t talk to anybody about that. And I can´t talk with my friends on that topic, I do not want to complain to my friends about my husband, because he is a wonderful man and would not deserve that. And in my country´s forums you can´t talk about being married with a Nigerian, most people do not understand that it has nothing to do with being keen on an "exotic" man or such silly stuff, but it is just you have met your soulmate and do not care about where he comes from. I admit I have the silly hope, that I will find the one or the other answer by reading postings in this forum anyway gggggg just like how to cook Nigerian food (yet I just learned to cook beans with corn and stew, plantanes, rice, yams and eggs and the like, although I am quite a good cook in my country ;-) ) and this is not too much ;-)
Re: Is It A Cultural Thing, That Nigerian Men Are Jealous? by tpia5: 11:18pm On Aug 27, 2011
And in my country´s forums you can´t talk about being married with a Nigerian

i'm a bit bored at the moment, so i'll ask why is that.
Re: Is It A Cultural Thing, That Nigerian Men Are Jealous? by MrsChima(f): 11:27pm On Aug 27, 2011
Ha grin
Re: Is It A Cultural Thing, That Nigerian Men Are Jealous? by wildwater: 12:05am On Aug 28, 2011
tpia@:

i'm a bit bored at the moment, so i'll ask why is that.
@tpia: Because of prejudice, bad reputation of many Nigerians in my country, marriage for papers (although this almost doesn´t work here anymore, because if you want to marry a Nigerian you have to be quite well situated or you will get broke cause of the costs, fees and other problems, you have to proof an income that is far over average so that your husband can even e n t e r the country legally, so no woman who doesn´t really love here Nigerian husband will do this, because it might mean working 2 jobs for at least a year), fraud delicts, drug trading and an absolute stupid Nigerian embassy, that manages to give interviews to the biggest newspapers titled "Not all Nigerians are drug dealers", well, this is only the most important reasons, why you cannot talk here about being married with a Nigerian husband. You will not get one serious answer but 100.000 postings that you are stupid. Sorry. No offence intended. As I am you can expect I do not share mainstream opinion.
Re: Is It A Cultural Thing, That Nigerian Men Are Jealous? by MrsChima(f): 1:42am On Aug 28, 2011
Tpia was being sarcastic.
Re: Is It A Cultural Thing, That Nigerian Men Are Jealous? by toyemz(f): 1:48am On Aug 28, 2011
@poster
he may just be trying to protect you
who knows when you get too familiar with some members of his family,
they might just begin to make unreasonable demands on you (financially)
after all its common belief that you go thru a wife to get something from the husband
He might just be trying to prevent this that's all
ask him if this is the case
Re: Is It A Cultural Thing, That Nigerian Men Are Jealous? by MrsChima(f): 2:44am On Aug 28, 2011
And the fact that OP said he doesn't plan on going back home which also raises a red flag as well seeing that he is Yoruba. From what I know Yorubas are big on family and all.

I could be wrong.
Re: Is It A Cultural Thing, That Nigerian Men Are Jealous? by pleep(m): 3:47am On Aug 28, 2011
@ Op i suggest you make your topic again, but this time make it in the family section, you will get much better replies there.
There is not a single intelligent poster on this Nland romance section. (if so less than 3)

do u mind telling what country this is?
Re: Is It A Cultural Thing, That Nigerian Men Are Jealous? by MrsChima(f): 4:07am On Aug 28, 2011
OP

The chatter is right there is not A SINGLE INTELLIGENT poster on Romance Section and anywhere else.

Take heed.
Re: Is It A Cultural Thing, That Nigerian Men Are Jealous? by Mynd44: 8:09am On Aug 28, 2011
^^^
Re: Is It A Cultural Thing, That Nigerian Men Are Jealous? by BABE3: 9:03am On Aug 28, 2011
pleep:

There is not a single intelligent poster on this Nland romance section. (if so less than 3)

With the upsurge of posts like yours, how won't there be a scarcity of intelligent posts on the section-----?.
Re: Is It A Cultural Thing, That Nigerian Men Are Jealous? by Mynd44: 9:19am On Aug 28, 2011
^^^
Good morning ma
Re: Is It A Cultural Thing, That Nigerian Men Are Jealous? by BABE3: 9:35am On Aug 28, 2011
Morning Sir.
Re: Is It A Cultural Thing, That Nigerian Men Are Jealous? by corona46(f): 10:50am On Aug 28, 2011
@wildwater the only reason why your husband don't want that you contact his friends and family is, he doesn't want that you start asking them out or even complain. This has nothing to do with jealously. That doesn't mean you could talk to them when he attends, so he has you always under control.

According to the other issue marrying because of papers. I m so fed up of this discussion.

Take a glance to AlJazeera 'Surprising Europe' and especially the short video about 'Interracial relationsships' and BBC documentation 'Welcome to Lagos'.

After that make up your mind.

You are an American and you will never be a Nigerian as he will be never an American. So don't loose your own identity. Accept this. Remain true to yourself! Even if problems break you. Tolerance on both sides is here the key word.

Even the Americans here now trying to get married to a local to get a permanent stay cause the economical situation abroad is very difficult.
Re: Is It A Cultural Thing, That Nigerian Men Are Jealous? by Russialane(m): 12:19pm On Aug 28, 2011
the man has his reasons i suggest you dont go digging for clues as to why or else your fingers will get BURNT, YEP
Re: Is It A Cultural Thing, That Nigerian Men Are Jealous? by dmz(m): 12:37pm On Aug 28, 2011
He probably has a Nigerian wife, doesn't want his 'jealous' relatives to tell you.
Re: Is It A Cultural Thing, That Nigerian Men Are Jealous? by wildwater: 2:45pm On Aug 28, 2011
corona46:

@wildwater  the only reason why your husband don't want that you contact his friends and family is, he doesn't want that you start asking them out or even complain. This has nothing to do with jealously. That doesn't mean you could talk to them when he attends, so he has you always under control.

According to the other issue marrying because of papers. I m so fed up of this discussion.

Take a glance to AlJazeera 'Surprising Europe' and especially the short video about 'Interracial relationsships' and BBC documentation 'Welcome to Lagos'.

After that make up your mind.

You are an American and you will never be a Nigerian as he will be never an American. So don't loose your own identity. Accept this. Remain true to yourself! Even if problems break you. Tolerance on both sides is here the key word.

Even the Americans here now trying to get married to a local to get a permanent stay cause the economical situation abroad is very difficult.

I am not American , beware, ;-) wouldn´t live in that country for heaps of money, have been there and there is not much about it I do like, I do not loose my identity, but I do want to know about his country, because I will understand my husband better if I understand his country, what I accectly agree with, is tolerance is the key word. Economical situation is not difficult everywhere, for US and GB I agree, the same for Spain and Italy.

Anyway thx to everybody ,the matter is settled, talked to him. Althought he didn´t quite want to talk about it, I just quoted some suggestions from here (partly he started laughing, especially, when I suggested the possibility of an Nigerian wife or girlfriend, that brought a pillow on my head and him laughing like getting bellyache) and that helped, because I would not have had some of the ideas written down in this forum, and the only thing I had to have my head washed for was having some stupid ideas. Anyway it was something about he didn´t want me to tell too much about me, he says I am too open minded and couldn´t imagine (true ;-( ) that close friends or relatives would even try to get financial advantage or try to get contacts in my country, too, using my friendslist e.g., it´s just about saving me headache. And please do not laugh about me asking such a question, but being married to a man from another country makes you ask questions about cultural differences, I haven´t had contact to Nigerians before, and, e.g. I didn´t see anybody in Nigeria kissing his girlfriend in the street, which is common in our country and there are differences in social behaviour. So who wouldn´t ask for explanations sometimes? And it´s easier to ask questions anonymous online than asking your husband all the time, how is this in your country? how is that? I do not want to get on his nerves with being curious.
Re: Is It A Cultural Thing, That Nigerian Men Are Jealous? by wildwater: 2:48pm On Aug 28, 2011
, oh, and sy for replying sometimes to the wrong posting, this is my first time in such a forum, took me a little to get used to the handling
Re: Is It A Cultural Thing, That Nigerian Men Are Jealous? by MrsChima(f): 2:53pm On Aug 28, 2011
Oh my goodness, YOU TOLD HIM about the replies on NL?   shocked

Didn't you say he was a jealous man?   undecided

I don tire ooo
Re: Is It A Cultural Thing, That Nigerian Men Are Jealous? by wildwater: 3:08pm On Aug 28, 2011
No, I just took the ideas, cooked him a nice meal, when he came home from church and told him, honey, I have to ask you something, then I asked why he doesn´t want me to contact his people on fb and that I had thought about some possibilities, that give me headache, so he just should please tell me straight, cause I do accept his decision, I just want to know why. Then I told him just all the possibilities collected. (If I told him about going to this forum, I think he would be really angry with me) To be sincere, there was one other reason, he didn´t mention before. My familiy doesn´t yet know about the marriage, because they are against it totally, and he didn´t want his family and friends to know, and he did not tell me, he had not mentioned that, even not to his mother.
Re: Is It A Cultural Thing, That Nigerian Men Are Jealous? by Russialane(m): 3:29pm On Aug 28, 2011
i smell a rat undecided undecided
Re: Is It A Cultural Thing, That Nigerian Men Are Jealous? by wildwater: 3:33pm On Aug 28, 2011
Russialane:

i smell a rat  undecided undecided
What do you mean by that?
Re: Is It A Cultural Thing, That Nigerian Men Are Jealous? by Russialane(m): 3:36pm On Aug 28, 2011
probably he has a wife and kids somewhere he is trying to hide in guess undecided undecided
Re: Is It A Cultural Thing, That Nigerian Men Are Jealous? by Russialane(m): 3:37pm On Aug 28, 2011
ask him this question that has he ever been married before you met him? undecided
Re: Is It A Cultural Thing, That Nigerian Men Are Jealous? by wildwater: 3:39pm On Aug 28, 2011
He hasn´t , we married in Hight court and anyway his paper were all proper.
Re: Is It A Cultural Thing, That Nigerian Men Are Jealous? by Russialane(m): 3:45pm On Aug 28, 2011
i think his reasons are best known to him undecided
Re: Is It A Cultural Thing, That Nigerian Men Are Jealous? by MrsChima(f): 3:50pm On Aug 28, 2011
Just because you married in Magistrate court doesn't mean he doesn't have other wives.  You do know Nigeria recognize polygamy marriages as well.  

It is highly unusual for a Nigerian man to keep family in the dark and just because you are sweet doesn't mean you are silly.  (I hope not)

The fact that your husband told you not to add any of his family members really bothered you and you respected his wishes but it doesn't solve how you are feeling.  You must have some doubts and suspicions or you wouldn't have asked the question.  

Talking about the issue and dissolving the issue are two different things so try to dissolve it if you can or you will continue to cause issues in your relationship.  

Real talk.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

5 Vital Reasons Why Not To Sleep With A Virgin. / Guys!! If She Actually Turns Out Be A Virgin, Would You Stop? / Fear God Moyo, Actress Moyo Lawal Shows Her Twerking Storm, Fans Reacts (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.