Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,244 members, 7,815,342 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:04 AM

Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? - Agriculture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? (26412 Views)

A Gold Mine Yet To Be Explored In Agriculture. / Profitability Of Pig Farming In Nigeria / Can 750k Be Able To Start Pig Farming ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by Powersurge: 11:35am On Dec 08, 2022
dawnomike:
I feel it is due to the fact that a section of the population does not eat it. Thereby cutting down d market size when compared to other animal husbandry.
Secondly, it takes a whole lot of input and effort due to how d environment can be stinking.

The few people that are into it are really cashing out!!!

Market size is not the problem. Demand outweighs supply. Several countries come to buy pig in Nigeria.

Yes, pig production is not up to the required capacity in Nigeria. But the OP has very limited knowledge about piggery in Nigeria. We produce sufficient tonnage in the country. The main challenge is feed/turnover.

When I say feed, lots of people would be thinking about the fact that "pig can eat anything". That's the mindset of those who know little or nothing about piggery. Even graduate of agriculture who has not sufficiently practice piggery would think so. Until they enter into it.

4 Likes

Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:40am On Dec 08, 2022
Assumptions for why pig farming is not a lucrative business in Nigeria.

1. Poor or outdated information about pigs farming
2. Lack of research on the part of Nigerians and the tendency to always want to do things the way they've always seen it done
3. Next to no market promotion
4. Little to no value addition to pigs, beyond raising and selling them.

Realities
1. Pig sties don't smell, at least, not when you treat the area with IMO solution. This breaks down the bacteria that causes stench and drives away flies. Trust me on this, I have firsthand experience.
2. Check out https://www.youtube.com/@ValueFarmUG Value Farm and other Nigerian farms who are doing well in this area
3. Secure your farm! Not everyone should be allowed to visit.

Give it a try and see what the benefits you will be reaping in a very short while.
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by mariahAngel(f): 1:20pm On Dec 08, 2022
Gabangel:

My brother, demand for PIG MEAT is not low. It's either you are from another part of Nigeria, or you no dey look pig meat twice. For instance, in Benue, roasted pig meat can be seen at almost every drinking joint area. In Nasarawa, some sections are like that too. Its even easier to farm than chickens and almost like Rabbits, once a pig delivers, you get plenty piglets. Its not like goat or chickens.

They can be destructive, I give you that and finding accommodation for them is like practically building a new cute little house with a compound, but you can still allow them to roam. Its their destructive nature that makes them hard to maintain, oh and their love for mud and dirty stuff.

Hahahahahahahahaha
Destructive how please?
They mostly seem harmless.
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by mariahAngel(f): 2:00pm On Dec 08, 2022
armyofone:

Pig! Not a fan grin
Please don't offer me pig meat when I come visit you!

Iya mi, but they eat pork a lot in the abroad. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by ojex004: 3:35pm On Dec 08, 2022
Hpesoj:

Mr, you need to disabuse your mind with this childish mentality. Hate brings negative energy, and militates one's personal development. I don't know much about Islam, but Christ and his apostle while in this earth strongly emphasized Love as the response to hate. It works.

You don't go around hating people or an entire tribe. Your helpers are likely to come from the most unimaginable place. For instance, for the past few decades now, those God have been bringing to my ways are neither from my religion, tribe, region, state or town, and even nationality. Imagine if I have a similar hate that you exude, I can't imagine what my situation will be.

That you feel some individuals attack you or you have a disagreement on issues is not enough reason to malign others. Disagreement must come.

Salam.

I understand u Alaye.
But u see as it be so, No try advice me if u no want Sango to strike u down
make all of us dey craze together online and if possible on reality. No be only thr tribe get monopoly of entitlement and displaying of craziness by attacking anybody ,everybody and other tribes that did not support what they support.
Ipigs people from Afghaneastern part of Nigeria are full of bitter, hatred, entitlement mentality and violence
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by Hpesoj: 3:39pm On Dec 08, 2022
ojex004:

I understand u Alaye.
But u see as it be so, No try advice me if u no want Sango to strike u down
make all of us dey craze together online and if possible on reality. No be only thr tribe get monopoly of entitlement and displaying of craziness by attacking anybody ,everybody and other tribes that did not support what they support.
Ipigs people from Afghaneastern part of Nigeria are full of bitter, hatred, entitlement mentality and violence

I wish you all the best.

Salam/alafia/shalom.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by ojex004: 4:03pm On Dec 08, 2022
Hpesoj:

I wish you all the best.

Salam/alafia/shalom.

Getat
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by AntiChristian: 5:26pm On Dec 08, 2022
Hpesoj:

That's true. However, the reason why some Christians are not confortable with pork is rooted in the Mosaic dietary laws (see Leviticus 11:7; Deuteronomy 14:cool. While the Mosaic dietary laws were relaxed in the NT (see Mark 7:19; Luke 11:41; Acts 10:9-15; Timothy 4:1-5), some Christians still choose to do away with animals like pig.

Salam.

I haven't seen any Christian forbid it.
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by Hpesoj: 5:37pm On Dec 08, 2022
AntiChristian:

I haven't seen any Christian forbid it.

Well, I'm not disputing that but I know quite a number of Christians that don't eat pork and dog meat. In fact, pig, dog and snake meat is more like an abomination in my lineage. We're Christians.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by remsonik(f): 7:07pm On Dec 08, 2022
Pork meat is more of fat and too much of fat is not good for the health
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by ytdivine(m): 7:08pm On Dec 08, 2022
Very nice business. The only problem with the business at the moment is the high cost of feed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVYGnOwSWlk
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by omonnakoda: 7:12pm On Dec 08, 2022
remsonik:
Pork meat is more of fat and too much of fat is not good for the health
Pork meat is not "more of fat" Beef is 23% fat compared to pork 20%

Often people make a lot of assumptions that are wrong

1 Like

Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by occfx: 8:53pm On Dec 08, 2022
[quote author=XYZo post=118988319][/quote]

I feel low, it's better to do anything possible to survive and achieve your goals
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by zoedew: 9:28pm On Dec 08, 2022
omonnakoda:
Really

All animals smell when you put them in a cage. Poultry smell is a lot worse because of how their poo is produced
Chickens poo is a lot stinkier because their poo comes out mixed with urine and when broken down by bacteria produces more ammonia. That is why chicken poo is one of the best fertilizers
I deeply appreciate our engagement.
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by armyofone(m): 9:40pm On Dec 08, 2022
mariahAngel:

Iya mi, but they eat pork a lot in the abroad. cheesy

Iya mi nla, "they" not include me now cheesy.

Please take descarado with you as you start your pig farm.
I like pig especially baby pig - they are cute and funny cheesy

Eating it, nah! I will pass grin
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by Johnnoo(m): 8:11am On Dec 09, 2022
Obakoolex:

Please which location are you talking about??
I sell too so am just trying to gather information. Thanks
Port Harcourt, South South. I also think that South East holds such myth as well.
I love Pork Meat...

1 Like

Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by mariahAngel(f): 9:49am On Dec 09, 2022
armyofone:

Hahahahahahahahaha grin

1 Like

Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by 1Sharon(f): 11:55am On Dec 09, 2022
morinto:
I remember the day I cook soup with pig meat and my innocent muslim friend ate the soup and meat with me. Fear nor make me tell am he has eaten pig because he always criticise does eating pig

Ignorance is bliss lol

1 Like

Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by 1Sharon(f): 12:00pm On Dec 09, 2022
Gabangel:

My brother, demand for PIG MEAT is not low. It's either you are from another part of Nigeria, or you no dey look pig meat twice. For instance, in Benue, roasted pig meat can be seen at almost every drinking joint area. In Nasarawa, some sections are like that too. Its even easier to farm than chickens and almost like Rabbits, once a pig delivers, you get plenty piglets. Its not like goat or chickens. They can be destructive, I give you that and finding accommodation for them is like practically building a new cute little house with a compound, but you can still allow them to roam. Its their destructive nature that makes them hard to maintain, oh and their love for mud and dirty stuff.

They eat anything, if someone falls into the pig pen, the pig won't hesitate to feast on them.

I've read many articles of pigs eating their owners that fell into their pen.

The size they can grow to is also unlimited

1 Like

Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by omonnakoda: 12:49pm On Dec 09, 2022
1Sharon:

They eat anything, if someone falls into the pig pen, the pig won't hesitate to feast on them.

I've read many articles of pigs eating their owners that fell into their pen.

The size they can grow to is also unlimited
Same as fish, prawns , crabs etc. Fall into the water you are on the menu
If you are looking for Mr Eat Anything
Look at fish
They live in the same water they pee, poo and do everything in and eat anything that is eatable
Many articles of pigs eating owners that fell into a pen. That is a HUGE exaggeration and is just NOT true. Take am easy na.

Have you ever visited a pig farm? I doubt it. Just reading imaginary articles

1 Like

Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by descarado: 3:32pm On Dec 10, 2022
armyofone:

Haaaaahaaaaa cheesy cheesy cheesy
I bought burger sauce exactly one year now and it looked like what I usually buy not knowing it's pork sauce. I threw it into the freezer cheesy grin
Anytime I bring it out to use, I get double mind.

Maybe one day. I was told to cook and eat alone if I want to eat pork in my house.
Nothing is wrong with pork. I don't know why we, especially igbo people don't like it.
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by descarado: 3:34pm On Dec 10, 2022
mariahAngel:

Hahahahahahahahaha grin
Don't mind that mamselle grin
Trouble cutie

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by 1Sharon(f): 4:42pm On Dec 10, 2022
omonnakoda:
Same as fish, prawns , crabs etc. Fall into the water you are on the menu
If you are looking for Mr Eat Anything
Look at fish
They live in the same water they pee, poo and do everything in and eat anything that is eatable
Many articles of pigs eating owners that fell into a pen. That is a HUGE exaggeration and is just NOT true. Take am easy na.

Have you ever visited a pig farm? I doubt it. Just reading imaginary articles

Okay I may have exaggerated but it can happen and has happened.

https://farmingbase.com/do-pigs-eat-humans/
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by omonnakoda: 5:52pm On Dec 10, 2022
1Sharon:

Okay I may have exaggerated but it can happen and has happened.

https://farmingbase.com/do-pigs-eat-humans/
Sure even humans eat humans but when we hear it is NEWS

It is not a normal or usual thing
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by A1kennedy(m): 11:25am On Dec 13, 2022
Because its a ritually unclean animal. Be wise!
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by Gabangel(m): 12:47am On Dec 24, 2022
FuckSilly:

Hypocrisy and stupidity

Why not eat frog, snakes, scorpions, lizards etc?

Good point. Did anyone tell you that during the Biafra war, lizards were a delicacy? And frogs and snakes are edible. For the scorpion, na you go tell me where dem dey chop am. Chief, there is Christianity and there is religion. Follow religion at your peril. David chop food for priests, God no punish am... Jesus disciples, being dey chop things for field on SABBATH DAY o! Notin do dem as Pharisees dey yarn. Jesus hammer them with one sentence say: "If only you had known the meaning of ‘I DESIRE MERCY, NOT SACRIFICE,’ you would not have condemned the innocent.…" Is one of the reasons, you would understand when Gandhi says: I like your Christ, I do not like Christians.
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by Abolivestock: 3:11pm On Feb 02, 2023
***PIGGERY FOR URGENT SALES/TRANSFER OF OWNERSHIP***

* The farm is located in Owode, Along Airport Road, in Akure.
* 112 Pigs (TN and Duroc breeds).
* 20 rooms, 6 gestation crates, 3 farrowing crates.
* Farm worker room.
* Feed store.
* Feed mixing and drying area.
* 5000kg weighing platform scale.
* Functional water system with submersible pump.
* Two new, solar powered CCTV cameras.
* 6 plots of surrounding land for crop cultivation.
* The farm flooring is organic compliant as it is deep litre system. Eliminates odour, water wastage, and reduces labour.

Interest persons can call/whatsapp 0.7.0-31805991 or 0.8.0-62275014

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Farmer Battles To Rescue Sheep Buried In Snow In Staffordshire (Pics, Video) / My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner / Egg Price Rises As Many Poultry Farms Shut Down In Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.