Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,963 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:12 AM

Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? - Agriculture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? (26406 Views)

A Gold Mine Yet To Be Explored In Agriculture. / Profitability Of Pig Farming In Nigeria / Can 750k Be Able To Start Pig Farming ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by MiaBeer(m): 12:56am On Dec 08, 2022
Cutehector:
I love pork.
Keep loving pork as long as you’re not in the northern part of the Country. You may be roasted like corn if you say this loud out there.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by shoskid(m): 1:24am On Dec 08, 2022
AngryNigerian Same thing with my area o. I later found out that he buys from other farms to be able to meet up with demand! He told a friend that even if five persons start the pig farm here, the demand will still be high!

Your location please, we've low demand here in ibadan
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by Missionaire: 1:26am On Dec 08, 2022
Moh247:
cool

We love foreign Chicken, Fish and Turkey more

Fulani cattles from far away Muritiania always taste better to Nigeria

Rams from Chad, Senegal and Niger are the best for Nigerians

Okporoko, stock fish from Norway and Finland taste better than our own catfish as Nigeria

Canned Sardine, Canned sweet corn and beef from America is sweeter in our mouth

Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by omonnakoda: 1:36am On Dec 08, 2022
Probz:

So do I (the stock it produces for jollof rice can taste a little off with ose-Nsukka, so I’ve noticed, but generally it’s good meaty stuff) but I understand why there isn’t the biggest demand for it anywhere in Nigeria (I’m not even talking about northerners’/Muslims’ prohibitions against halal-meat). Nigeria’s a country that has more business with goats and birds. Lamb and pork are nice (I am often thinking in terms of jollof rice but these two meats are fire with with conventional okra soup of the more Igbotic/Ondo kind as well) but they’re not Naija’s priority at the moment.
It is bigger in Lagos(farming) than goats. There is a pig estate in Gberigbe and an even bigger one at Oke-Aro both in Lagos State. Restaurants buy more Hausa goats
I do not know anyone in southern Nigeria that actually farms the so called native goats on industrial scale.
There is huge demand for pork in Lagos State > As in Huge. DO not forget that Lagos has people from all over./ The Oke Aro one used to be massive I do not know what it looks like today but in SW Nigeria, Benue, Taraba pork demand and consumption is huge.
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by ZooOga: 1:41am On Dec 08, 2022
1Sharon:

Am I wrong? Pork meat is widely consumed in Ghana even though there are Muslims too.

So why is Nigeria's case different? Fulanis that's why.

The only place you can find non- halal in Nigeria is among Igbo butchers.

Half of Nigeria is not Muslim so why is halal meat being pushed on the majority??

The subject is Nigeria so I don't know what goes on in Ghana except them closing up shops owned by Nigerian business ppl.

As far as I know, no one forces halal meat on anyone in 9ja. Ppl are free to consume whatever they want including bushmeat, grasscutters/rats and all the pots of snake-soup they can catch and cook. My viewpoint stands, your post is an example of ethnic bigotry and religious intolerance. BTW, we have Igbo Muslims and Igbo Jews that keep kosher.
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by 1Sharon(f): 1:51am On Dec 08, 2022
ZooOga:

The subject is Nigeria so I don't know what goes on in Ghana except them closing up shops owned by Nigerian business ppl.

As far as I know, no one forces halal meat on anyone in 9ja. Ppl are free to consume whatever they want including bushmeat, grasscutters/rats and all the pots of snake-soup they can catch and cook. My viewpoint stands, your post is an example of ethnic bigotry and religious intolerance. BTW, we have Igbo Muslims and Igbo Jews that keep kosher.

What is the percentage of non-halal butchers vs halal butchers?
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by Probz(m): 2:18am On Dec 08, 2022
omonnakoda:
It is bigger in Lagos(farming) than goats. There is a pig estate in Gberigbe and an even bigger one at Oke-Aro both in Lagos State. Restaurants buy more Hausa goats
I do not know anyone in southern Nigeria that actually farms the so called native goats on industrial scale.
There is huge demand for pork in Lagos State > As in Huge. DO not forget that Lagos has people from all over./ The Oke Aro one used to be massive I do not know what it looks like today but in SW Nigeria, Benue, Taraba pork demand and consumption is huge.

Maybe people need to invest a bit more in Mr and Mrs-Oink. (And on that note I’m going to have a bacon bap now.)
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by Probz(m): 2:35am On Dec 08, 2022
Anyone who’s so-opportuned, by the way, *has* to try cooking either jollof rice or okra soup with pork/lamb and ose-Nsukka pepper or stew with duck, pork, curry leaves and nchuanwu (you can add the slightest touch of ground seeded uziza). You’ll be in for a treat, trust me.
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by stephenponti(m): 3:17am On Dec 08, 2022
Because head spanners says it's Haram.
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by ZooOga: 3:27am On Dec 08, 2022
1Sharon:

What is the percentage of non-halal butchers vs halal butchers?

do your googles and come back and tell us what your research turned up.
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by XYZo: 3:47am On Dec 08, 2022
[quote author=occfx post=118984664]

I tell you... I only risk sharing when I need help but most times, the help doesn't even come. My brother, it's better to die in silence if you are in Nigeria or die trying . Everybody is a pretender and a hypocrite. Burials ceremonies will give you a clue [/quot

Thissssss cry

Aftwr sharing the problem , still you don't get help and then they already have that secret . Chaiiii

1 Like

Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by zoedew: 4:00am On Dec 08, 2022
omonnakoda:
Pigs do not smell as bad as chickens/poultry
Really!
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by Maliqcious: 4:09am On Dec 08, 2022
The most consumed meat in the world. That meat no be goat, sheep, cow and chicken meat. It economic importance it is just overlooked here. But states like Benue and Plateau are doing well in the business. Sometimes I just wonder if some set of just get problem with just the meat or everything about it, like from sausage, hotdog and painting brush? Na very good business if you get a good breed like duroc with high dose of pork to fat. Another disadvantage na the annual viral disease called swan flu fever that one even worst pass bird flu.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by Maliqcious: 4:15am On Dec 08, 2022
NwaNimo1:
Pigs are greedy......to costly to feed. (Ask Buhari!)

[img]https://giffiles./216/216347.gif[/img]

....only can work if the pigs have access to a rubbish dump.
wetting concern pig and greedy? E greedy reach your politicians? That animal have the highest food conversation rate than any other animal, what that means is so long there is food pig would improve in it growth impressively. Do you know pigs are more intelligent than dogs?
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by Maliqcious: 4:19am On Dec 08, 2022
Parachoko:
I heard is profitable.

Pork is even cheaper than beef
some part of the pig meat are more expensive than beef. Like in benue pork is more preferred to beef and it expensive there too because of it high demand
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by Gerrard59(m): 4:35am On Dec 08, 2022
1Sharon:
because muslims(fulani) secretly run Nigeria!

Pork meat isn't popular thanks to them.

Alot of Nigerians only realise people actually consume pigs when they leave Nigeria.

The flow of meat is controlled by Muslims.

While it might sound true, pork meat is not popular in the south (esp the SE & SS) compared to chicken or beef or fish because there are few pig farmers, not because Fulani elites don't want the trade to be popular. In Akwa Ibom and Anambra, there is a good demand for pork, but the sellers aren't as ubiquitous as chicken or goat.
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by Gerrard59(m): 4:38am On Dec 08, 2022
1Sharon:

There are Muslims in Ghana too but pork meat is widely consumed.

There are fewer Muslims in Ghana compared to Nigeria by percentage. I don't think the Muslim population is up to 40% there. To know whether religion has an issue in pork consumption, you might have to check Ivory Coast or Senegal or Gambia. If the demand and consumption is high in those countries, then we will agree that Nigerian Muslim elites are hindering the consumption of pork in Nigeria.
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by Gerrard59(m): 4:41am On Dec 08, 2022
angelfallz:
How many Nigerians DON'T eat those things up there that I listed? You would be surprised.

Oga, very few Nigerians eat bacon let alone have even seen it. I wager that half of Nigerians even the youths, don't know what bacon is or made of without checking the dictionary.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by AntiChristian: 4:43am On Dec 08, 2022
Hpesoj:

Most Christians are also not confortable consuming it as it is considered unclean.

On the contrary, Jesus said what makes a man unclean is what emanates from him and not what goes in. Mark 7:20, Matthew 15:11.

So only Muslims forbid it even more than alcohol in some places!
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by Gerrard59(m): 4:44am On Dec 08, 2022
omonnakoda:
What is COMMON? Is turkey or goat farming common? We are still importing chicken, turkey fish
Even Cow farming we have not mastered
Truth is we have a serious knowledge deficit
Industrial level animal farming need industrial production of Maize and Soya to feed the animals

US produces 11 Metric tonnes of Maize from 1 hectare of land compared to 1.5 in Nigeria

Even cassava which we are the highest producer in the world we produce 10metric tonnes per hectare compared to 22 for Thailand

You are right, but how do you expect investors to plough money in those sub-sectors when there are ravaging Fulani herdsmen lurking around to destroy the crops? Although some Indians and even Nigerians are doing well in the business of cassava cultivation, I wonder how they navigate the Fulani herdsmen issue.
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by OyeofIkoTuN(m): 4:45am On Dec 08, 2022
1Sharon:
because muslims(fulani) secretly run Nigeria!

Pork meat isn't popular thanks to them.

Alot of Nigerians only realise people actually consume pigs when they leave Nigeria.

The flow of meat is controlled by Muslims.

Neat

1 Like

Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by Gabangel(m): 5:10am On Dec 08, 2022
brain54:
Piggery is very capital intensive to start up.
It is generally considered as a dirty business especially as compared with other type of animal farming.

Generally pork meat is not as widely accepted as others. Poultry or beef for instance. It is actually forbidden by Islam religion and only some Christians accept it also due to religious reasons. So the demand is low compared to beef or chicken.

Also I think to farm pigs commercially it takes a longer period to start breaking even and returns on investment. Not many are willing to take the risk involved in rearing due to the long time frame involved. It’s a long term investment.

Also outbreak of diseases ( swine flu) for instance often discourage prospective farmers. Existing farms also battle with many of these diseases while many are being shut down especially the larger ones.

Lastly lack or absence of information on piggery thereby limiting those that start up or go into piggery as a form of business.

This is not to say it is not a lucrative business however. From my little and humble experience I will say pig farming is one of the most lucrative aspects of agriculture.

My brother, demand for PIG MEAT is not low. It's either you are from another part of Nigeria, or you no dey look pig meat twice. For instance, in Benue, roasted pig meat can be seen at almost every drinking joint area. In Nasarawa, some sections are like that too. Its even easier to farm than chickens and almost like Rabbits, once a pig delivers, you get plenty piglets. Its not like goat or chickens. They can be destructive, I give you that and finding accommodation for them is like practically building a new cute little house with a compound, but you can still allow them to roam. Its their destructive nature that makes them hard to maintain, oh and their love for mud and dirty stuff.
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by Gerrard59(m): 5:11am On Dec 08, 2022
omonnakoda:
This Cost issue can be extended to cattle,poultry or any other kind of animal farming

To farm animals correctly means farming what the animals will eat.

That mean using loads of fertilizer. We need to increase fertilizer consumption if we are to feed 200 million. We need to understand fertilizer as a strategic and existential commodity
Fertiliser is linked to animal farming because it allows you to grow very cheap maize and soya which fatten the animal quickly. That is the miracle of Ukraine grain.
Maize and Soya are used to feed pigs , cows, fish,chicken etc
We should be Nunber 2 or 3 Fertilizer producer and consumer

that is the only way to make ranching or any other animal farming feasible

That is very true. We need a cheap, easy and consistent flow of fertilisers to cultivate crops. Unless we intend to import crop inputs to feed these animals, which invariably increases the final cost of the product. You have pretty good points.

Apart from chicken, beef and maybe fish (we even import most of fish), we don't farm other kinds of meat more than pork. Pork just has bad publicity or none at all. It was a business I planned to go into it. Still, as a result of the bad publicity, one would have to create awareness so that Nigerians can be comfortable buying bacon and other derivatives of pork as value addition is where the money is in agribusiness.

Those days, I admired Smithfield and the Chinese. cheesy
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by Gabangel(m): 5:15am On Dec 08, 2022
FuckSilly:

Because the Bible condemned it, SWINE!

Muslims don't eat it too.

Only fools eat pigs.

Yeah, the same bible has a place where an Apostle had a dream where all sorts of forbidden meat appear before him and he is told to eat and he refuses, calling them - is it cursed or forbidden? And God warns him. As a Christian, except meat offered to idols, you are at liberty to eat almost any meat. (Nope, not humans and of course, if you want to try monkey or gorilla meat that looks like humans be my guest, but don't vomit). And the bible also says - ONLY A FOOL SAYS THERE IS NO GOD.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by CheapHomes1: 5:23am On Dec 08, 2022
BeardedMeat:
Don't transfer your stupidity to this thread.

Instead of getting emotional, why not answer the simple questions?

You that knows everything about the issue, why are you asking why ICPC "picked him up"?

With all you say you know, you can't even answer the simple question...was dbanj picked up? yes or no

What did icpc say? If you know what icpc said, what question are you asking?
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by sayso: 5:37am On Dec 08, 2022
mariahAngel:
Why is pig rearing not common in Nigeria?
Is it that there are little to no demands for pork meat?

Picture source: Google.
You dey your crip,carry oyibo pig picture post. You don go mubi before?
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by Sunsen: 5:38am On Dec 08, 2022
Government must do everything for you... They must create market for you.. gove you land to farm... Give you the resources... Give you the staff... And even come yo help you harvest abi?
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by sylve11: 5:59am On Dec 08, 2022
Munzy14:

This particular type is tedious, the stench ooh goodness..Take a tour to a pig farm..smh

Capital intensive in an unstable economy can cause HBP.

Then, poor market.. lipsrsealed

grin grin cool
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by FuckSilly: 6:06am On Dec 08, 2022
Gabangel:

Yeah, the same bible has a place where an Apostle had a dream where all sorts of forbidden meat appear before him and he is told to eat and he refuses, calling them - is it cursed or forbidden? And God warns him. As a Christian, except meat offered to idols, you are at liberty to eat almost any meat. (Nope, not humans and of course, if you want to try monkey or gorilla meat that looks like humans be my guest, but don't vomit). And the bible also says - ONLY A FOOL SAYS THERE IS NO GOD.
Hypocrisy and stupidity

Why not eat frog, snakes, scorpions, lizards etc?
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by DOM7: 6:06am On Dec 08, 2022
Religion! Anything the north Muslim especially forbid won't sell in Nigeria, but the fact is that even if you don't eat or like certain things allow others to you must not eat it but for export sake to help the economy.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Farmer Battles To Rescue Sheep Buried In Snow In Staffordshire (Pics, Video) / My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner / Egg Price Rises As Many Poultry Farms Shut Down In Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.