Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,957 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:55 AM

Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? - Agriculture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? (26404 Views)

A Gold Mine Yet To Be Explored In Agriculture. / Profitability Of Pig Farming In Nigeria / Can 750k Be Able To Start Pig Farming ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by brain54(m): 11:12pm On Dec 07, 2022
omonnakoda:
What is COMMON? Is turkey or goat farming common? We are still importing chicken, turkey fish
Even Cow farming we have not mastered
Truth is we have a serious knowledge deficit
Industrial level animal farming need industrial production of Maize and Soya to feed the animals

US produces 11 Metric tonnes of Maize from 1 hectare of land compared to 1.5 in Nigeria

Even cassava which we are the highest producer in the world we produce 10metric tonnes per hectare compared to 22 for Thailand
You digress my friend…

Pls read to understand the topic very well.
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by Johnnoo(m): 11:13pm On Dec 07, 2022
mariahAngel:
Why is pig rearing not common in Nigeria?
Is it that there are little to no demands for pork meat?
Picture source: Google.

The reason is more of the myth that Pig (Pork) is a curse animal.
For me, Pork is the best meat. There is high demand for it around here.
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by Obakoolex(m): 11:14pm On Dec 07, 2022
Zdr1:
Only one person is selling it in the whole city where I am I have to drive down for more than 30 minutes to get there
Please which city??
I sell too so am just trying to gather some research....

1 Like

Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by LegalWolf: 11:14pm On Dec 07, 2022
dawnomike:
I feel it is due to the fact that a section of the population does not eat it. Thereby cutting down d market size when compared to other animal husbandry.
Secondly, it takes a whole lot of input and effort due to how d environment can be stinking.

The few people that are into it are really cashing out!!!

Excellent points

1 Like

Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by Enemyofpeace: 11:14pm On Dec 07, 2022
Na Muslims cause am

1 Like

Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by Obakoolex(m): 11:15pm On Dec 07, 2022
AngryNigerian:
Same thing with my area o. I later found out that he buys from other farms to be able to meet up with demand! He told a friend that even if five persons start the pig farm here, the demand will still be high!

Please which location are you talking about??
I sell too so am just trying to gather information. Thanks
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by NIGERDELTAIDOL: 11:22pm On Dec 07, 2022
VeryWickedMan:
How can pigs farm their own kind?
please read ur post....no meaning
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by NIGERDELTAIDOL: 11:24pm On Dec 07, 2022
Moh247:
cool

We love foreign Chicken, Fish and Turkey more

Fulani cattles from far away Muritiania always taste better to Nigeria

Rams from Chad, Senegal and Niger are the best for Nigerians

Okporoko, stock fish from Norway and Finland taste better than our own catfish as Nigeria

Canned Sardine, Canned sweet corn and beef from America is sweeter in our mouth

foreign ur mouth dr
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by ModCaller: 11:25pm On Dec 07, 2022
MufasaLion:
It's not peculiar to piggery alone. There are many units/sections of agriculture that could have been invested in and create employment for millions of Nigerians and also generate revenue for the government and citizens.

Sadly, they don't care because they can't make the type of money they embezzle within 4 years from agriculture. So, everyone can't sacrifice his belly for the citizens that elected them.

So government is the one to farm for you, abi?

Government will also fûck your wife for you. Yeye. Everything no be government.
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by NIGERDELTAIDOL: 11:26pm On Dec 07, 2022
TheNiceGuy:
It's not generally accepted meat.

Muslims doesn't eat it, even some Christian and traditionalist
dy are missing
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by NIGERDELTAIDOL: 11:28pm On Dec 07, 2022
Azularis:
Pigs are unclean animals according to biblical standards!
yourself, you're clean....rubbish

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by omonnakoda: 11:28pm On Dec 07, 2022
Spandau:

So do you eat roaches and scorpions and agamas lizards and worms and grubs too just to mention a few?So who's ignorant and foolish now? Idiot!
You do not need anyone to make you feel small. You are doing a good job yourself.
I understand your plight. You are talking ignorantly. You also are a tiny little man on the inside , your loud barking only confirms that

1 Like

Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by Obakoolex(m): 11:29pm On Dec 07, 2022
Munzy14:

You didn't tell me you've turn Animal right activist grin

You know what I do na..Most things I tell You is mainly out of experience personally..not even hear say.

Pig is highly prolific when it comes reproduction, but process eeh..It can turn a fine somebody to a stressed out ugly something.

You wash their house Every day.

As long as you are doing wet ration.

Well, Like I told you, my Ideal family dream is a homestead on a large land..With gardening, diff animals and everyone in it.

It is satisfying and fulfilling..

With a wife who is close to nature and a wonderful family..Goals.

I eat pork, but rarely will you see a retail outlet here..Business m bu na obi here ka nku..
Please which location are you talking about??
I sell pork so am just trying to gather information. Thanks
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by MasterTeeUSA: 11:34pm On Dec 07, 2022
You need investment in Agriculture to feed the pigs. The development of seeds and research made will help us to become self sustainable and allow us to expand our investment in Agriculture and Animal Husbandry. TRY TO STUDY THE POLICIES OF THE GOVT BY THINKING...WHY ARE THEY DOING THIS? WHATS THE NEXT POSSIBLE STEP AND WHERE ARE THEY GOING? then watch reports, interviews and conferences including international ones from AfriBank so you won't be ignorant. This is the number one problem affecting us...uninformed citizens and journalists. There is a reason AfriBank, WorldBank and the rest are investing in Nigeria...it's not just for us to feed ourselves but to feed all of West Africa and beyond.

MufasaLion:
It's not peculiar to piggery alone. There are many units/sections of agriculture that could have been invested in and create employment for millions of Nigerians and also generate revenue for the government and citizens.

Sadly, they don't care because they can't make the type of money they embezzle within 4 years from agriculture. So, everyone can't sacrifice his belly for the citizens that elected them.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by brain54(m): 11:41pm On Dec 07, 2022
omonnakoda:
You do not need anyone to make you feel small. You are doing a good job yourself.
I understand your plight. You are talking ignorantly. You also are a tiny little man on the inside , your loud barking only confirms that

The contributions in this topic have been going on well and peacefully until you dropped by.

I sensed you were looking for someone to quarrel with in your first comment that’s why I avoided you.

So what’s your personal grudge with the topic and why do you feel you must present it aggressively? I am listening…
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by Loverboi2cute(m): 11:43pm On Dec 07, 2022
mariahAngel:

All these bashing for pigs? Na wa O! undecided
Other animals no dey sh!t?
Abi because them no fine?

hahahaha...u really cracked me up man
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by omonnakoda: 11:49pm On Dec 07, 2022
brain54:

You digress my friend…

Pls read to understand the topic very well.
No digression my friend
You are the one that needs to read and comprehend
The topic is about a purported lack of interest in pig farming.
You responded a post by quetioning whether pig farming is common
That is where I came in my point was long but not a digression
Summarry
I am saying especially in Southern Nigeria, We keep goats , trukey , ducks etc as well but Is that more common than pig farming? There are several pig farm estates in Lagos State and elsewhere in the south /. In Lagos I suggest you visit Agege or Gberigbe
Let me make a bold statement to say that next to chickens the next most farmed animals by Southern Nigerians is Pig . Not Turkey , Not goat, Not duck , Not Fish

The farming or Turkey , goats , sheep, ducks in Nigeria is amateurish when compared to what so called industrial nations do. You cannot effectively farm animals without farming what they will eat INDUSTRIALLY. If you want to produce tonnes of chicken , pork , beef etc you must grow tonnes of maize, soya or cassava to feed the animals

Summary we are not really farming animals in Nigeria not just pig but everything
We are learners

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by omonnakoda: 11:53pm On Dec 07, 2022
brain54:

The contributions in this topic have been going on well and peacefully until you dropped by.

I sensed you were looking for someone to quarrel with in your first comment that’s why I avoided you.

So what’s your personal grudge with the topic and why do you feel you must present it aggressively? I am listening…
We are done. Goodbye
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by observanc1: 12:03am On Dec 08, 2022
mariahAngel:

because of our Muslim brothers
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by omonnakoda: 12:03am On Dec 08, 2022
PrinceMajestic:
Some religious Terrorists say Jesus cast demons into pigs and others say pig offended their prophet and they make up 99% of Nigeria population so you see that majority of Nigerians have personal problem with pig how then can its business flourish? They just causing problems for Agriculturists in this country, It's flourishing in Southern Nigeria anyway
The demons were living inside a human in the first place according to the story.
Does that make humans even more unclean?

How do you thinks pigs would be looking at humans? As a SOURCE of unclean spirits

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by 1Sharon(f): 12:05am On Dec 08, 2022
omonnakoda:
What is the source of 53% . How was that determined?
Ask the person that told me that
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by 1Sharon(f): 12:12am On Dec 08, 2022
brain54:

And who is pushing halal on you majority of Nigerians? Has any Muslim ever told or tried to compel you not to eat pork before.

Or you have ever been stopped from buying at a market. Stop saying things like this Abeg.

Nigerian Muslim population did not rise to 53% recently.

How many non-halal butchers are easily accessible compared to halal butchers??
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by Christistruth00: 12:14am On Dec 08, 2022
mariahAngel:

It is Popular in the SW

The problem is the Feeding Cost

There is a Pig Thread in the Agriculture section were pig farmers talked about their experiences
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by TrumpDonald2: 12:24am On Dec 08, 2022
mariahAngel:

All these bashing for pigs? Na wa O! undecided Other animals no dey sh!t? Abi because them no fine?
You won't understand. smiley
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by Spandau: 12:36am On Dec 08, 2022
omonnakoda:

Wanton illusive gibberish!
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by Probz(m): 12:41am On Dec 08, 2022
Nigerians in Nigeria don’t tend to have the most time for bacon.
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by Probz(m): 12:43am On Dec 08, 2022
Cutehector:
I love pork.

So do I (the stock it produces for jollof rice can taste a little off without ose-Nsukka, so I’ve noticed, but generally it’s good meaty stuff) but I understand why there isn’t the biggest demand for it anywhere in Nigeria (I’m not even talking about northerners’/Muslims’ prohibitions against halal-meat). Nigeria’s a country that has more business with goats and birds. Lamb and pork are nice (I am often thinking in terms of jollof rice but these two meats are fire with with conventional okra soup of the more Igbotic/Ondo kind as well) but they’re not Naija’s priority at the moment.
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by omonnakoda: 12:48am On Dec 08, 2022
This Cost issue can be extended to cattle,poultry or any other kind of animal farming

To farm animals correctly means farming what the animals will eat.

That mean using loads of fertilizer. We need to increase fertilizer consumption if we are to feed 200 million. We need to understand fertilizer as a strategic and existential commodity
Fertiliser is linked to animal farming because it allows you to grow very cheap maize and soya which fatten the animal quickly. That is the miracle of Ukraine grain.
Maize and Soya are used to feed pigs , cows, fish,chicken etc
We should be Nunber 2 or 3 Fertilizer producer and consumer

that is the only way to make ranching or any other animal farming feasible

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Farmer Battles To Rescue Sheep Buried In Snow In Staffordshire (Pics, Video) / My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner / Egg Price Rises As Many Poultry Farms Shut Down In Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.