Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,126 members, 7,814,942 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:43 AM

Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? (26403 Views)

A Gold Mine Yet To Be Explored In Agriculture. / Profitability Of Pig Farming In Nigeria / Can 750k Be Able To Start Pig Farming ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by Tobloc(m): 9:16pm On Dec 07, 2022
It is not generally accepted.
Diseases can send you out of business if not properly managed.
Feeding regime can be unstable. PKC is presently scarce and very expensive.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by nairanaira12: 9:17pm On Dec 07, 2022
Cost of feeding.

Do you know of a cheaper way to feed pigs? Or a cheaper way to produce their foods naturally?
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by nairanaira12: 9:18pm On Dec 07, 2022
brain54:
Piggery is very capital intensive to start up.
It is generally considered as a dirty business especially as compared with other type of animal farming.

Generally pork meat is not as widely accepted as others. Poultry or beef for instance. It is actually forbidden by Islam religion and only some Christians accept it also due to religious reasons. So the demand is low compared to beef or chicken.

Also I think to farm pigs commercially it takes a longer period to start breaking even and returns on investment. Not many are willing to take the risk involved in rearing due to the long time frame involved. It’s a long term investment.

Also outbreak of diseases ( swine flu) for instance often discourage prospective farmers. Existing farms also battle with many of these diseases while many are being shut down especially the larger ones.

Lastly lack or absence of information on piggery thereby limiting those that start up or go into piggery as a form of business.

This is not to say it is not a lucrative business however. From my little and humble experience I will say pig farming is one of the most lucrative aspects of agriculture.

Lolz. Many Muslims now eat pock low key. Manu alfas also use it for preparinf concoctions

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by TheChameleon: 9:18pm On Dec 07, 2022
It is very common in 5 states of Nigeria.

Nnamdi Kanu of IPOB said they are pigs and idiots.

Uwazurike of MASSOB said they are the most foolish people worldwide.

Asari Dokubo claimed them as Ijaw slaves.

Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by MarketDispatch: 9:19pm On Dec 07, 2022
If you don't have money, don't be deceived that Pig farming is profitable.

You will need to buy feed at all times and they must eat no matter if you the owner has eaten or not.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by armyofone(m): 9:20pm On Dec 07, 2022
mariahAngel:
Why is pig rearing not common in Nigeria?
Is it that there are little to no demands for pork meat?

Picture source: Google.

Pig! Not a fan grin
Please don't offer me pig meat when I come visit you!
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by occfx: 9:21pm On Dec 07, 2022
veekid:
You think your friends care becoz they listen attentively when you share your problems but it jus makes em feel better about their own shitty situations. Your pain is their relief. Pay attention.

I tell you... I only risk sharing when I need help but most times, the help doesn't even come. My brother, it's better to die in silence if you are in Nigeria or die trying . Everybody is a pretender and a hypocrite. Burials ceremonies will give you a clue

1 Like

Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by henryadex(m): 9:21pm On Dec 07, 2022
You can trust Nigerians if the market is there and money is flowing in steadily we will do more than explore
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by k2money(m): 9:23pm On Dec 07, 2022
TheNiceGuy:
It's not generally accepted meat.

Muslims doesn't eat it, even some Christian and traditionalist
Pork is acceptable to 95% of traditionalist so don't say what you don't know.
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by bigtt76(f): 9:24pm On Dec 07, 2022
Religion cheesy

mariahAngel:

Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by LordEclipse: 9:25pm On Dec 07, 2022
Because pigs are so cute to be eaten..
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by TheNiceGuy(m): 9:26pm On Dec 07, 2022
95% ? Are you a traditionalist?
k2money:

Pork is acceptable to 95% of traditionalist so don't say what you don't know.
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by BeardedMeat(m): 9:26pm On Dec 07, 2022
veekid:
You think your friends care becoz they listen attentively when you share your problems but it jus makes em feel better about their own shitty situations. Your pain is their relief. Pay attention.
Words on marble.
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by Aleem26(m): 9:27pm On Dec 07, 2022
Cos of GBESE no govt back up
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by AfroKnight: 9:28pm On Dec 07, 2022
The ruling class in Nigeria (the leading politicians) are mostly Muslim.

Muslims don’t eat pork. They also don’t like to invest in it.

However if Oyinbo people later declare that Nigerian-grown pork is their favourite import, I believe politicians will find a way around their religion to produce it in commercial quantities.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by GboyegaD(m): 9:30pm On Dec 07, 2022
dawnomike:
I feel it is due to the fact that a section of the population does not eat it. Thereby cutting down d market size when compared to other animal husbandry.
Secondly, it takes a whole lot of input and effort due to how d environment can be stinking.

The few people that are into it are really cashing out!!!

Most of the big piggeries I have heard about are situated in the core North.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by CheapHomes1: 9:30pm On Dec 07, 2022
mariahAngel:

Pls go and start the business then come back and tell us your story. Think say na business of 20k

4 Likes

Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by Ladymillion(f): 9:31pm On Dec 07, 2022
Munzy14:

You didn't tell me you've turn Animal right activist grin

You know what I do na..Most things I tell You is mainly out of experience personally..not even hear say.

Pig is highly prolific when it comes reproduction, but process eeh..It can turn a fine somebody to a stressed out ugly something.

You wash their house Every day.

As long as you are doing wet ration.

Well, Like I told you, my Ideal family dream is a homestead on a large land..With gardening, diff animals and everyone in it.

It is satisfying and fulfilling..

With a wife who is close to nature and a wonderful family..Goals.

I eat pork, but rarely will you see a retail outlet here..Business m bu na obi here ka nku..
Kudos bro

1 Like

Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by seanery: 9:31pm On Dec 07, 2022
Cutehector:
I love pork.

Sounds more like I LOVE Bleep
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by jaxxy(m): 9:31pm On Dec 07, 2022
mariahAngel:

Probably demand. How many eat pork?? with the hygiene and tape worm issues? undecided
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by ZooOga: 9:32pm On Dec 07, 2022
Most ppl know it's haram in Islam.

Now let's quickly review some Judaic Law and Christianity Scripture.

"What does the Bible say about eating pork?
In Leviticus 11:27, God forbids Moses and his followers to eat swine “because it parts the hoof but does not chew the cud.” Furthermore, the prohibition goes, “Of their flesh you shall not eat, and their carcasses you shall not touch; they are unclean to you.” That message is later reinforced in Deuteronomy."
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by Theunbothered: 9:33pm On Dec 07, 2022
Because half of the population won't do it because of religion.
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by BeardedMeat(m): 9:34pm On Dec 07, 2022
CheapHomes1:

Pls go and start the business then come back and tell us your story. Think say na business of 20k
Don't transfer your stupidity to this thread.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by BeardedMeat(m): 9:35pm On Dec 07, 2022
seanery:

Sounds more like I LOVE Bleep
You be awusa?
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by ojun50(m): 9:35pm On Dec 07, 2022
Abeg we no want,
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by BOLATINUBU01: 9:36pm On Dec 07, 2022
Abeg come akure,e plenty
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by 1Sharon(f): 9:37pm On Dec 07, 2022
because muslims(fulani) secretly run Nigeria!

Pork meat isn't popular thanks to them.

Alot of Nigerians only realise people actually consume pigs when they leave Nigeria.

The flow of meat is controlled by Muslims.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by ZooOga: 9:41pm On Dec 07, 2022
1Sharon:
because muslims(fulani) secretly run Nigeria!

Pork meat isn't popular thanks to them.

Alot of Nigerians only realise people actually consume pigs when they leave Nigeria.

The flow of meat is controlled by Muslims.

You did good. You managed to insult a whole religion and tribe with bigotry in one post. Clap for yourself.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by 1Sharon(f): 9:41pm On Dec 07, 2022
TheNiceGuy:
It's not generally accepted meat.

Muslims doesn't eat it, even some Christian and traditionalist

There are Muslims in Ghana too but pork meat is widely consumed.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by Ajibade123(m): 9:42pm On Dec 07, 2022
I don't think the demand is very high because of the Muslim population that don't eat it
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by mrkings84(m): 9:43pm On Dec 07, 2022
The answer is simple. Many peoplen,tribes, culture don't accept pig as a meat.....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Farmer Battles To Rescue Sheep Buried In Snow In Staffordshire (Pics, Video) / My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner / Egg Price Rises As Many Poultry Farms Shut Down In Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.