Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,969 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:57 AM

Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? - Agriculture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? (26407 Views)

A Gold Mine Yet To Be Explored In Agriculture. / Profitability Of Pig Farming In Nigeria / Can 750k Be Able To Start Pig Farming ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by Cutehector(m): 6:12am On Dec 08, 2022
seanery:

Sounds more like I LOVE Bleep
grin This man.
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by Ayoolanairaland: 6:21am On Dec 08, 2022
If swine fever do you bad,you go know say piggery not for Nigerian's

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by Lachynos2k2(m): 6:58am On Dec 08, 2022
brain54:
Piggery is very capital intensive to start up.
It is generally considered as a dirty business especially as compared with other type of animal farming.

Generally pork meat is not as widely accepted as others. Poultry or beef for instance. It is actually forbidden by Islam religion and only some Christians accept it also due to religious reasons. So the demand is low compared to beef or chicken.

Also I think to farm pigs commercially it takes a longer period to start breaking even and returns on investment. Not many are willing to take the risk involved in rearing due to the long time frame involved. It’s a long term investment.

Also outbreak of diseases ( swine flu) for instance often discourage prospective farmers. Existing farms also battle with many of these diseases while many are being shut down especially the larger ones.

Lastly lack or absence of information on piggery thereby limiting those that start up or go into piggery as a form of business.

This is not to say it is not a lucrative business however. From my little and humble experience I will say pig farming is one of the most lucrative aspects of agriculture.
not exactly, I have a couple of Muslim friends that munch pork pass me wet be christian. The only problem I have with piggery farming of nowadays is the extremely high feeding costs.
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by bishopandy(m): 7:00am On Dec 08, 2022
My dear, it is very common for me that's why i am surprised you asked the question. Pig farming is not like fish pond that can be easily housed
in your compound. There are factors to consider. That's why its not common like you said. Obasanjo farms has a different breed of pigs which is one of the best in Nigeria. In the year of the COVID, there was a swine flu that ate across pig farms. That you don't know about it doesn't mean its uncommon. That's my point.
mariahAngel:

If it were that common in Nigeria, common Nigerian would've known, don't you think?
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by davillian(m): 7:00am On Dec 08, 2022
Dog meat de move
Even snake meat de move
Why pig no go move...
Personally I think piggery is capital intensive and it takes time to start making money...
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:12am On Dec 08, 2022
No loud am. Let the few of us make enough money before the rest open their eyes
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by sharone21(f): 7:20am On Dec 08, 2022
Piggery is one of the main animal businesses in Cameroon, a cheaper substitute to beef but not as cheap as fish.

Agriculture is more profound in Cameroon than Nigeria, no thanks to Boko Haram ... Though we may have more modern approach to it.

The day I heard the cry of a pig, I was shocked....It cries like masquerade/spirit.
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by k2money(m): 7:22am On Dec 08, 2022
TheNiceGuy:
95% ? Are you a traditionalist?
I have an herbalist as a friend. The only thing that can make traditional person not to eat it is if is forbidden for your odù
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by Obakoolex(m): 7:23am On Dec 08, 2022
Johnnoo:

The reason is more of the myth that Pig (Pork) is a curse animal.
For me, Pork is the best meat. There is high demand for it around here.
Please which location are you talking about??
I sell too so am just trying to gather information. Thanks
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by Hpesoj: 8:02am On Dec 08, 2022
AntiChristian:

On the contrary, Jesus said what makes a man unclean is what emanates from him and not what goes in. Mark 7:20, Matthew 15:11.

So only Muslims forbid it even more than alcohol in some places!

That's true. However, the reason why some Christians are not confortable with pork is rooted in the Mosaic dietary laws (see Leviticus 11:7; Deuteronomy 14:cool. While the Mosaic dietary laws were relaxed in the NT (see Mark 7:19; Luke 11:41; Acts 10:9-15; Timothy 4:1-5), some Christians still choose to do away with animals like pig.

Salam.
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by Hpesoj: 8:17am On Dec 08, 2022
ojex004:
Do you mean ipigs?
Go to Afghaneastern part of Nigeria now. You see them plenty thr with thr dirty hatred mind and dirty environments

Mr, you need to disabuse your mind with this childish mentality. Hate brings negative energy, and militates one's personal development. I don't know much about Islam, but Christ and his apostle while in this earth strongly emphasized Love as the response to hate. It works.

You don't go around hating people or an entire tribe. Your helpers are likely to come from the most unimaginable place. For instance, for the past few decades now, those God have been bringing to my ways are neither from my religion, tribe, region, state or town, and even nationality. Imagine if I have a similar hate that you exude, I can't imagine what my situation will be.

That you feel some individuals attack you or you have a disagreement on issues is not enough reason to malign others. Disagreement must come.

Salam.
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by MrBONE2(m): 8:20am On Dec 08, 2022
NwaNimo1:
Pigs are greedy......to costly to feed. (Ask Buhari!)

[img]https://giffiles./216/216347.gif[/img]

[b][/b]

grin

Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by MrBONE2(m): 8:22am On Dec 08, 2022
VeryWickedMan:
How can pigs farm their own kind?
grin

Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by Moneyboyz: 8:32am On Dec 08, 2022
dawnomike:
I feel it is due to the fact that a section of the population does not eat it. Thereby cutting down d market size when compared to other animal husbandry.
Secondly, it takes a whole lot of input and effort due to how d environment can be stinking.

The few people that are into it are really cashing out!!!

I know people that sell fresh pork meat, it doesn't last till evening before they run out of stock. They kill pigs everyday.

It sells fast and expensive but people dey buy.
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by Developer404(m): 8:32am On Dec 08, 2022
My dad trains pigs before, they don't poop where they eat and they don't eat or sleep in their poop they aren't dirty as people think tho, during the time of rearing it neighbors stigmatized us, one even poisoned them, newly born ones eight of them died on the spot one night, cry
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by cooooooks(m): 8:36am On Dec 08, 2022
Religious reasons and lack of market.

Muslims (at least most) can't eat or consume any part of the pig (knowingly). Many Christians also do not eat pork, but will likely consume other parts of the pig.

However, as far as I know, pig meat efficiency is more than double the efficiency of beef. In a country lacking food like Nigeria, we actually need more pig farming.

mariahAngel:
Why is pig rearing not common in Nigeria?
Is it that there are little to no demands for pork meat?

Picture source: Google.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by omonnakoda: 9:04am On Dec 08, 2022
Gerrard59:

That is very true. We need a cheap, easy and consistent flow of fertilisers to cultivate crops. Unless we intend to import crop inputs to feed these animals, which invariably increases the final cost of the product. You have pretty good points.

Apart from chicken, beef and maybe fish (we even import most of fish), we don't farm other kinds of meat more than pork. Pork just has bad publicity or none at all. It was a business I planned to go into it. Still, as a result of the bad publicity, one would have to create awareness so that Nigerians can be comfortable buying bacon and other derivatives of pork as value addition is where the money is in agribusiness.

Those days, I admired Smithfield and the Chinese. cheesy
Hmm
I really do not know about bad publicity
The market is huge in Nigeria, the main constraint is a supply issue .
Pork meat is a big deal across the Middle Belt of Nigeria and in the South West . In Jalingo Taraba state, Pork is a really huge thing. Lagos is a leading producer also Oyo State.
I do not agree with the negative publicity theory. If pork meat is affordable people will rush it.
Nigerians that eat snake anyhow
The main problem is know how and expensive inputs.
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by omonnakoda: 9:11am On Dec 08, 2022
zoedew:

Really!
Really

All animals smell when you put them in a cage. Poultry smell is a lot worse because of how their poo is produced
Chickens poo is a lot stinkier because their poo comes out mixed with urine and when broken down by bacteria produces more ammonia. That is why chicken poo is one of the best fertilizers

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by Gerrard59(m): 9:17am On Dec 08, 2022
omonnakoda:
Hmm
I really do not know about bad publicity
The market is huge in Nigeria, the main constraint is a supply issue .
Pork meat is a big deal across the Middle Belt of Nigeria and in the South West . In Jalingo Taraba state, Pork is a really huge thing. Lagos is a leading producer also Oyo State.
I do not agree with the negative publicity theory. If pork meat is affordable people will rush it.
Nigerians that eat snake anyhow
The main problem is know how and expensive inputs.

I agree that the main issue is technical know-how and the quality feed input (our maize/soybean production is abysmally low). I think the issue is that Nigerians eat more of just pork than other by-products such as bacon, sausages, hot dogs etc. To generate more revenue, one needs to diversify into producing by-products. Just like crude oil refining into just petroleum rather than including diesel, kerosene, aviation fuel etc.

This is from Smithfield's parent owner: "They produce a wide variety of packaged meats, including smoked and boiled hams, bacon, sausage, hot dogs, deli and luncheon meats, specialty products such as pepperoni, dry meat products, and ready-to-eat, prepared foods such as pre-cooked entrees and pre-cooked bacon and sausage.". http://www.wh-group.com/en/products/smithfield_food.php

Generally, the demand will increase as more Chinese live in Nigeria. Hopefully, their presence will spur value addition as that is where the money is in.
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by skj1377(m): 9:21am On Dec 08, 2022
Pigs suffer from swine fever. Which kills them in a week. Imagine your pig farm of over 500 pigs today and Next Week you have zero pigs or in short only the pig pen left. Will you invest heavily in such a business next time?
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by omonnakoda: 9:25am On Dec 08, 2022
Gerrard59:

I agree that the main issue is technical know-how and the quality feed input (our maize/soybean production is abysmally low). I think the issue is that Nigerians eat more of just pork than other by-products such as bacon, sausages, hot dogs etc. To generate more revenue, one needs to diversify into producing by-products. Just like crude oil refining into just petroleum rather than including diesel, kerosene, aviation fuel etc.

This is from Smithfield's parent owner: "They produce a wide variety of packaged meats, including smoked and boiled hams, bacon, sausage, hot dogs, deli and luncheon meats, specialty products such as pepperoni, dry meat products, and ready-to-eat, prepared foods such as pre-cooked entrees and pre-cooked bacon and sausage.". http://www.wh-group.com/en/products/smithfield_food.php

Generally, the demand will increase as more Chinese live in Nigeria. Hopefully, their presence will spur value addition as that is where the money is in.
I do not agree that Bacon , sausages are where the money is or that we need Chinese to increase demand, In fact bacon and sausages are not likely to be a significant thing in Nigeria because they are alien and we have limited refrigeration logistic capacity. Bacon /sausages do not fit into Nigerian recipes. What people buy is roasted or smoked pork as well as fresh pork by the kilo. They(Bacon/sausages) are mainly bought by elites and repatriate/returnees in areas where they have refrigeration like Ikoyi Lekki
I am not talking theory . It is a huge business in many states lke Lagos, Oyo, Taraba and Benue
Fried pork is available on the street in many places in southern Nigeria
Value addition is a complex thing and it is not only when you make bacon that you are adding value.
Bacon/Sausages are not really healthy compared to fresh pork anyway. The Chinese are the world's largest consumer of pork and if we raise out game we could be a major exporter via Lekki in the near future. I do not think bacon and sausages are that big in China. They use pork in different ways
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by angelfallz(m): 9:35am On Dec 08, 2022
How do you now sir? Have you asked the 200 million Nigerians?
Gerrard59:

Oga, very few Nigerians eat bacon let alone have even seen it. I wager that half of Nigerians even the youths, don't know what bacon is or made of without checking the dictionary.
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by romunu(m): 9:36am On Dec 08, 2022
Because one religion amongst the two major religions in Nigeria detest eating of pork meat and half of the other religion detest it too
mariahAngel:

Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by omonnakoda: 9:38am On Dec 08, 2022
skj1377:
Pigs suffer from swine fever. Which kills them in a week. Imagine your pig farm of over 500 pigs today and Next Week you have zero pigs or in short only the pig pen left. Will you invest heavily in such a business next time?
Well many do invest in pigs around the world. I do not see the logic here at all.
In 2020 . The US exported $7 billion worth of pork products

Chickens suffer illnesses like bird flu that can wipe out an entire poultry.
Ask any fish farmer it is the same. You can wake up one morning and see your entire stock floating dead in the pond
All forms of animal farming have the same kinds of issues not just pigs

1 Like

Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by spindomer: 9:57am On Dec 08, 2022
I invested in Oke Aro pig village but the last swine flu pandemic affected my investment in pig farm .

https://guardian.ng/features/avian-swine-fever-oke-aro-loses-10-farmers-incurs-n12b-losses/

1 Like

Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by omonnakoda: 10:13am On Dec 08, 2022
spindomer:
I invested in Oke Aro pig village but the last swine flu pandemic affected my investment in pig farm .

https://guardian.ng/features/avian-swine-fever-oke-aro-loses-10-farmers-incurs-n12b-losses/
Sorry.
I think the scale of Oke-Aro is huge and I do not think in Southern Nigeria there is anything on that scale for any other animal apart from pigs.
Pig farming is big in Nigeria with a huge market in Lagos State and the SW in comparison to Sheep goat farming in South Nigeria pig farming is more organized
Government needs to invest in research and consolidate responsiveness to disease outbreaks like swine flu in terms of biosecurity and compensation regulations/provision
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by dlw09(f): 10:17am On Dec 08, 2022
hmmmmm
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by lugado: 10:45am On Dec 08, 2022
MufasaLion:
It's not peculiar to piggery alone. There are many units/sections of agriculture that could have been invested in and create employment for millions of Nigerians and also generate revenue for the government and citizens.

Sadly, they don't care because they can't make the type of money they embezzle within 4 years from agriculture. So, everyone can't sacrifice his belly for the citizens that elected them.

Why are you people always so quick to blame the government for anything. Is it the government responsibility to invest in pig business? What are individuals doing?
The truth is that the youths are not interested in dirty hard jobs that does not bring quick money and make them millionaires overnight.
So interest in Agriculture is very low in this part of the country
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by Lepon02: 10:48am On Dec 08, 2022
mariahAngel:

Elede? Haram!

Tuehhhh.
Re: Why Is Pig Farming Not Fully Explored In Nigeria? by user294(m): 11:20am On Dec 08, 2022
Lmao. If you want to obey such laws as clean and unclean animals, then you will be heading to hell. Obviously, you are just a Christian in your words, otherwise, you wouldn't invoke the laws of old. Have you forgotten when God asked either Paul or Peter "who has made unclean what I have made clean?", in the dream. Well, am tired of typing, but hope you understand me.
Azularis:
Pigs are unclean animals according to biblical standards!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Farmer Battles To Rescue Sheep Buried In Snow In Staffordshire (Pics, Video) / My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner / Egg Price Rises As Many Poultry Farms Shut Down In Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.