Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,951 members, 7,835,171 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:32 AM

New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN (58996 Views)

Redesigning Of Naira Notes: We Are Not Aware - Finance Minister / INEC Releases Statement On The Supreme Court Judgment On Zamfara Election / Current Justices Of The Supreme Court Of Nigeria : Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by vision2050: 9:21pm On Mar 04, 2023
Rexxie234:
Tinubu may die before then shockedshocked(just speaking) Obi must take his rightful places as president, APC rigged this election. angry

I hate tinubu!!!
you may die before him.
Don't wish anybody death.

1 Like

Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by 9jaRealist: 9:21pm On Mar 04, 2023
References1:

https://thenationonlineng.net/no-information-on-supreme-court-ruling-says-cbn/

The CBN can issue directives to banks WITHOUT issuing a press release…
Seems some folks are just looking for wahala and trying to heat up the polity. SMH
>
Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by 0monnak0da: 9:22pm On Mar 04, 2023
Asour:

You are the one that doesn't know what conjectures are.
A conjecture is simply an supposition.

My first comment was whether the supreme court has a limit on what it can or can't sit on.

Go an reread my comment.

The fellow I quoted said the SC has no business with Monetary policy.

You used a statement "The Family can say".

That is a supposition. The family hasn't IN FACT said anything you factually know of. You are the one 'supposing' what the family 'can' say.

Now back to my point.

My comment wasn't about whether or not we will obey the SC. It was whether IT can sit on monetary policy issues brought before it.

Cheers.

Have a nice day.

You do not know the meaning of conjecture
I did not offer any opinions or conclusions. That was a form of argumentation by scenario.
There was absolutely no supposition except you have comprehension issues
The Supreme Court can sit on ANY MATTER where there is a law or statute or to interpret the constitution
The president is a derivative of the constitution therefore the Supreme Court has the power to adjudicate any questions about his powers and their limit
Currency printing is not monetary policy.
There is a law about change of currency that specifies functions/powers of the president and CBN,The CBN act so the CBN has power to adjudicate
Finally only the CBN has the power to say what it can adjudicate on
It is next to God in our constitution
Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by lexy2014: 9:23pm On Mar 04, 2023
Casta:
Supreme Court has no business in monetary policies. Those shameless corrupt Supreme Court judges should burial their head in shame.

Sorry bro. The supreme court won't "burial their head in shame".

How are the supreme court judges corrupt?

If you don't understand the workings of d judiciary in d society, pls ask questions.

If you aren't sure of d judgement, pls get a copy to read. If you still don't understand, you can contact me so I can enlighten u a bit

1 Like

Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by Nobody: 9:24pm On Mar 04, 2023
This guy didn't know his policy caused some people's death. May their souls hunt you forever
Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by lexy2014: 9:25pm On Mar 04, 2023
Asour:

You are the one that doesn't know what conjectures are.
A conjecture is simply a supposition/hypothesis.

My first comment was whether the supreme court has a limit on what it can or can't sit on.

Go an reread my comment.

The fellow I quoted said the SC has no business with Monetary policy.

You used a statement "The Family can say".

That is a supposition. The family hasn't IN FACT said anything you factually know of. You are the one 'supposing' what the family 'can' say.

Now back to my point.

My comment wasn't about whether or not we will obey the SC. It was whether IT can sit on monetary policy issues brought before it.

Cheers.

Have a nice day.

Why should the supreme court not be able to sit on monetary issues brought before it?
Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by sleemomymy: 9:26pm On Mar 04, 2023
Rexxie234:
Tinubu may die before then shockedshocked(just speaking) Obi must take his rightful places as president, APC rigged this election. angry

I hate tinubu!!!
If you so much hate him, you have two options:
1. Leave Nigeria
2. Commit sucide
Or you just keep mute............ grin grin
Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by lexy2014: 9:27pm On Mar 04, 2023
anyilalaz:

That's why common sense not common.

I agree. If it was, you would have been able to answer the questions.

What precedence has the supreme court set by its judgement that will hurt nigeria tomorrow?

How do you know that "My Lord's at the highest court stole old naira notes and are protecting it"?

Where did they steal the old naira notes from?

Did you witness them when they were stealing the notes?

How much exactly did they steal?

How do you know what supreme court judges save in the bank or don't save in d bank?
Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by Asour: 9:28pm On Mar 04, 2023
0monnak0da:

You do not know the meaning of conjecture
I did not offer any opinions or conclusions.
The Supreme Court can sit on ANY MATTER where there is a law of statute or to interpret the constitution
The president is a derivative of the constitution therefore the Supreme Court has the power to adjudicate any questions about his powers and their limit
Currency printing is not monetary policy.
There is a law about change of currency that specifies functions/powers of the president and CBN,The CBN act so the CBN has power to adjudicate
Finally only the CBN has the power to say what it can adjudicate on
It is next to God in our constitution

You gave an opinion.

You said "Families CAN say".

That's your own opinion. In the case you referred to, you didn't say the Family actually said that. You are the one raising an opinion here.

So unless you have a private dictionary, you can tell us the meaning.

Again, Supply/circulation of currencies is a Monetary policy tool.

Cheers.

Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by donmik: 9:30pm On Mar 04, 2023
Sammy07:
angry

May 30th, this guy should be in Jail.

And what will happen to the president ordering the CBN, who has never obeyed court order in his govt?
Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by 0monnak0da: 9:30pm On Mar 04, 2023
Asour:

You gave an opinion.

That's your own opinion. In the case you referred to, you didn't say the Family actually said that. You are the one raising an opinion here.

Cheers.
That is not an opinion ,
If I say let X be 5 is that an opinion?
Clearly you have a problem with English comprehension
Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by georgeakins: 9:31pm On Mar 04, 2023
Luukasz:

This is the same judicials some people expect will give Obi his stolen mandate.

Nigerian politicians don't rate Nigerian judicials an inch, dey don see dem finish just like the military.

It's well sha

Obi does not have any mandate. He should wait till 2031 when the presidency will shift to the North, may be Atiku will consider him as VP then.
Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by Asour: 9:31pm On Mar 04, 2023
lexy2014:

Why should the supreme court not be able to sit on monetary issues brought before it?

Don't mind them.

They think Monetary policy is rocket science.

Assuming they alone can do it, the way they handled the Naira redesign was so poor it is hard to think anyone can do any worse.

May God help us.
Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by Rufai1314(m): 9:32pm On Mar 04, 2023
Anybody against the judgement of supreme Court, all the handship Nigerians are facing everyday as result of this nonsense policy, all is family member's including him or her will experience the handship for ever.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by madapcmod: 9:32pm On Mar 04, 2023
Sammy07:
angry

And Buhari should be where?
Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by abcity2001(m): 9:32pm On Mar 04, 2023
What is wrong with you
Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by Asour: 9:33pm On Mar 04, 2023
0monnak0da:

That is not an opinion ,
If I say let X be 5 is that an opinion?
Clearly you have a problem with English comprehension

You have a problem with admitting wrong.

BTW, you haven't still told us what 'Conjectures' mean.
Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by yarimo(m): 9:33pm On Mar 04, 2023
And you are immune to death
Rexxie234:

I hate tinubu!!!
Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by Gaabasky: 9:34pm On Mar 04, 2023
Rexxie234:

I hate tinubu!!!

And what give u guarantee that u will be alive?
Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by eleniyan2020: 9:35pm On Mar 04, 2023
Rexxie234:

I hate tinubu!!!
Atiku will take Obi..if it is Obi forget it,Nigeria is not Anambra!
Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by 9jaRealist: 9:37pm On Mar 04, 2023
FreedomArmy:
So supreme court is now overseeing monetary policies in Nigeria? Wonders shall never end.
The daily limit on withdrawal is actually a good idea. This has drastically reduced kidnapping and other forms of criminal activities in the country.
HellVictorinho7:
nonsense
HomoSapiien:
Na Ogun go kill you with this assertion. Had to trek long distance today because of this silly policy. No cash. No PoS to collect cash from even if the charges are supper high. Yet you dey say this nonsense?
I cannot transfer from my access bank since Monday now
You know how many businesses that’s run down because of this policy?
Again, na Ogun go kill yoi

@FreedomArmy is precisely RIGHT…

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Accordingly, while we can all empathize with the effects of purportedly bad policies, the law courts (including the Supreme Court) are neither empowered nor equipped to determine which policies of the executive branch are substantively ‘good’ or ‘bad’. The constitutional power of Judicial Review granted to the judiciary is limited to deciding if laws/policies are in compliance with the law, not to SUBSTITUTE the judges’ personal policy preferences (eg, old notes to remain valid until December 31, 2023) in place of those constitutionally and statutorily empowered to make such policy decisions (including poor ones).

Two wrongs do not make a right, and thus we should as a society learn to do things (even the RIGHT things) in the RIGHT manner.
>

2 Likes

Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by HomoSapiien: 9:37pm On Mar 04, 2023
FreedomArmy:
So supreme court is now overseeing monetary policies in Nigeria? Wonders shall never end.
The daily limit on withdrawal is actually a good idea. This has drastically reduced kidnapping and other forms of criminal activities in the country.

Na Ogun go kill you with this assertion. Had to trek long distance today because of this silly policy. No cash. No PoS to collect cash from even if the charges are supper high. Yet you dey say this nonsense?
I cannot transfer from my access bank since Monday now
You know how many businesses that’s run down because of this policy?
Again, na Ogun go kill yoi

1 Like

Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by Buckeyemedia1: 9:38pm On Mar 04, 2023
Sammy07:
angry

No going back, the train has already left the station, by May 30th the old currency will be extinct.
Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by Father4all: 9:39pm On Mar 04, 2023
Sammy07:
angry

na your papa go jail am abi? Oloshi

1 Like

Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by Nobody: 9:39pm On Mar 04, 2023
References1:

https://thenationonlineng.net/no-information-on-supreme-court-ruling-says-cbn/
Until we start burning banks and killing ur stupidd staffs it will clear in ur head. God punish ur generation emefiele... bastardd
Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by blackpanda: 9:41pm On Mar 04, 2023
Rexxie234:

I hate tinubu!!!

Ur pain is just starting grin
Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by Samfloxin(m): 9:42pm On Mar 04, 2023
FreedomArmy:
When they kidnap you, don't give them money,ok?

1 Like

Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by Buckeyemedia1: 9:42pm On Mar 04, 2023
Ernezt:

Until we start burning banks and killing ur stupidd staffs it will clear in ur head. God punish ur generation emefiele... bastardd
Mumu because of government policy, you want to kill fellow citizens like yourself?
Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by IfnobeGod20: 9:43pm On Mar 04, 2023
BreconHills:

This is NOT monetary policy. Monetary policy has well established ways of mopping up excess cash. If you issue a bond at an attractive rate it will mop up currency. If you adjust bank reserve limits upwards, it will mop up currency.

This is not a currency change because in a currency change as the name implies one swaps old notes for new. This is naira confiscation because it deprives account holders access to their funds and undermines the relationship between the bank and the account holder. Every account holder has the right to withdraw his money in part or on whole from any commercial bank ON DEMAND. This right has been taken away - by what authority or what legislation?

Btw any court can make an orders or such ancillary orders as to give effect to his judgement. So the putting of a date on the currency swap period is well within the authority of the court.

Re my putting words in the mouth of the original poster. The original poster implied that the SC had no jurisdiction over the actions of the President because they relate to monetary policy. Sorry, but the Court has a right to hear cases brought before it. Secondly where any office holder holding power under the Constitution has their powers or the extent of those powers questioned then the court can decide if the said official or person has acted ultra vires or outside the scope of those powers.

In the President case, no President has the power to place limits on how much an account holder can take from his own account unless it is under emergency powers or an amendment of the CBN Act.

Anyone questioning the right of the Supreme Court to question the limits of a duly elected person's authority is a closet fascist who supports executive tyranny.
You have not answered the question thrown at you. Court is to interpret laws enacted by the National Assembly. They are not to make law or add arbitrarily to it.
The case brought to it was mopping of the old notes from the circulation by some governors on the order of the president which does not go well with the citizens within their jurisdiction because it heaps untold hardship on them. That the time frame was too short and they even claimed they are not against the policy but they are against the timing.
But as the supreme court delivered the judgement. It chided the president for breaching the law that the president needed to have consulted the council of states before giving such directive but surprisingly instead of the supreme court to dwell on the merit of the case brought before it, it went doing the work of president, CBN and council of states altogether by setting date when the old money would not be legal tender in Nigeria. That is on it own affront to the law. The supreme court should have just voided the directive of Mr. President and ask the parties involved to follow the rules of law than acting as the CBN, president and council of states in such manner. Nigeria is not a banana republic. Rule of law must reign supreme. Supreme court cannot be the alpha and Omega of everything. They can only be the alpha and Omega of interpretation of laws but not other aspect of governance.
On the withdrawal limit, supreme court should have also go ahead and place a limit to the amount that can be withdrew since its placed date when the old notes will not be legal tender. Why saying it was against the law to place limit on the amount customers can withdraw and not go further to give limit for withdrawal. And the funny thing is that they did not quote a single law to back up their claim.
We need be very careful in this country the type of power we are given supreme court justices, hence they will turn this country upside down. Same way someone that doesn't obtained form for senatorial seat was declared as the winner of a primary he never partook.

3 Likes

Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by 0monnak0da: 9:43pm On Mar 04, 2023
Asour:

You gave an opinion.

Cheers.

I did not say
families can say

I said

The same Supreme Court ruled that women in Ibo land should be allowed to inherit their father's properties
Families can say the Supreme Court has no business in their family business
Like I said you have a problem with English which I am not here to teach

That was the conditional tense

Opinions are not expressed in the conditional tense
E.g Obi is complaining about results in Kaduna and I say Atiku can argue about results in Enugu
That is conditional there is no opinion or conjecture merely a form of argumentation
Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by LordviccoDaGuru(m): 9:43pm On Mar 04, 2023
Gbam

grin grin grin
Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by Banter1(m): 9:44pm On Mar 04, 2023
Tinubu first assignment should be sacking this man and jail him asap.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Jonathan Ordered Me To Withdraw $2bn From ECA To Pay Fuel Subsidy – Okonjo-iweal / Aregbesola Hands Over Corpse Of Adeyinka Adebayo To Fayose (Photos) / Picture Of The House Where Fredrick Lugard Signed Amalgamation In 1914

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.