Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,304 members, 7,819,035 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:18 AM

Do You Prefer "dating" Or "courting" - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Do You Prefer "dating" Or "courting" (7295 Views)

Why Do Single Ladies In Nigeria Prefer Dating Married Men? / Are Guys Scared Of Dating Or Marrying Working-Class Ladies? / Will U Prefer Dating A Pretty Angel Ahead Of An Urgly Lady? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Prefer "dating" Or "courting" by Jenifa1: 4:58am On Sep 15, 2011
Guys: do you date women or do you court them?
Women: do you prefer dating or courting?

what do you think the difference is? and why?

I personally think that nowadays, men don't court women anymore. It's all about dating in today's world. we have lost respect for the traditional way and this is why divorce rates are going UP. courting prepares you for marriage. dating prepares you for break-up tongue
Re: Do You Prefer "dating" Or "courting" by Nobody: 5:06am On Sep 15, 2011
Jenifa reminds me of oyinda.

Jenifa baby o, jenifa baby o, jenifa!
Re: Do You Prefer "dating" Or "courting" by Nobody: 5:13am On Sep 15, 2011
you said it. Courtship prepares one for marriage. Dating is merely testing the ground. People court when they have serious plans for marriage. more seriously, courtship is to see how the following marriage will work. Dating, however, is everyone's thing and will sometimes lead to courting.
in summary, everyone dates. Only a few court
Re: Do You Prefer "dating" Or "courting" by Jenifa1: 5:24am On Sep 15, 2011
@sauer,
this thread is sort of influenced by my reaction to a book (see link below). It's a christian read if you are interested.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/48758.Boy_Meets_Girl

@ileke-idi,
do you have a response to the topic?
Re: Do You Prefer "dating" Or "courting" by Nobody: 5:39am On Sep 15, 2011
I didn't even look at it from a religious viewpoint. Naturally, I dont look at topics from a christian point of view. Now, I understand where you coming from. But seriously, healthy relationships can as well result from dating. Personally, I won't expect teens to court. No, they should date.
Re: Do You Prefer "dating" Or "courting" by Jenifa1: 5:45am On Sep 15, 2011
sauer:

I didn't even look at it from a religious viewpoint. Naturally, I dont look at topics from a christian point of view. Now, I understand where you coming from. But seriously, healthy relationships can as well result from dating. Personally, I won't expect teens to court. No, they should date.

I see your point.
Re: Do You Prefer "dating" Or "courting" by Emmyk(m): 5:46am On Sep 15, 2011
@POster: just like you went to a boutique and you tell 'em, ''Hey, I wanna buy Coat'' cheesy
Re: Do You Prefer "dating" Or "courting" by Tosinville(m): 5:46am On Sep 15, 2011
Courtship ke? iro o!
Re: Do You Prefer "dating" Or "courting" by Jenifa1: 5:52am On Sep 15, 2011
Dating is merely testing the ground.

A lot of people nowadays don't date to test the ground. They date for dating. esp ones in their late 20s and 30s and they're still dating. It has become a sport
I mean how many times do you have to "test the ground" to figure out when to stop and get settled. eventually marriage will become more of a restraint or like a prison rather than a blessing. because these people are used to jumping from one partner to another.
Re: Do You Prefer "dating" Or "courting" by Jenifa1: 5:56am On Sep 15, 2011
Emmyk:

@POster: just like you went to a boutique and you tell 'em, ''Hey, I wanna buy Coat'' cheesy

explain yourself.
do you mean condom?
Re: Do You Prefer "dating" Or "courting" by Emmyk(m): 8:31am On Sep 15, 2011
@Jenifa. Haha. No way. I mean Courtship is kinda archaic. You know people prefer to call the cloth 'suite' this day,rather than what we call it before; 'coat'
Re: Do You Prefer "dating" Or "courting" by Ranoscky(m): 9:23am On Sep 15, 2011
Dating, before courting!

Why court without date?

It's like buying a container of goods with NO KNOWLEDGE of what is inside!
Re: Do You Prefer "dating" Or "courting" by jerk: 12:19pm On Sep 15, 2011
Dating first b4 courtship bt that doesn't mean u must always date b4 u court. Some situation might make it impossible for u to date thereby u decided to skip dating and go into courtship straightway.
One example is wen age is running out of u and u wnt to settle down withn d shortest period of time and nt in any relationship yet.
Another example is wen u are nt in d country and decided to marry frm home,then your people may arrange a girl for u and since u dnt hv enuf time to start dating,u then start courting at once.
Am taking myself as an example coz am courting straigtaway since i hvn't seen my choice for long and nw meetn her recently,i dnt wanna miss her. I jus met her and told her intention and wl be meeting her family nxt month and by Gods grace we gonna tie it up by Dec.
Re: Do You Prefer "dating" Or "courting" by MrCork17: 12:26pm On Sep 15, 2011
dating. courting. Naynshin. whats the difference? duh! undecided
Re: Do You Prefer "dating" Or "courting" by jerk: 12:35pm On Sep 15, 2011
Mr, Cork:

dating. courting. Naynshin. whats the difference? duh! undecided
u dnt suppose to be asking such a question because they are nt d same.
Re: Do You Prefer "dating" Or "courting" by MrCork17: 12:38pm On Sep 15, 2011
jerk:

u dnt suppose to be asking such a question because they are nt d same.

jerk u sound very edukated. enlighten moi!! undecided
Re: Do You Prefer "dating" Or "courting" by SHABZ: 1:02pm On Sep 15, 2011
well,i think dating has to do with impressing the other person (display of swagger) but courtship deals with displaying a version of ur real behaviour

1 Like

Re: Do You Prefer "dating" Or "courting" by KDULAR: 1:14pm On Sep 15, 2011
What happens after courting and there are unresolvable issues or one of both parties sees there's no need to go on , what's next? Back to square one undecided undecided undecided
Re: Do You Prefer "dating" Or "courting" by MMM2(m): 2:20pm On Sep 15, 2011
none of dem
Re: Do You Prefer "dating" Or "courting" by MrsChima1(f): 2:51pm On Sep 15, 2011
There is a big difference between courting and dating.

However, this generation have screwed up the true meaning of dating and now everyone think dating means sleeping with the person or having that "shacking" relationship where you living with the person. I am not saying it is wrong but it is risky.

Courting back in the day was about getting to know not just you but the family as well. Some old people used to say "Gentleman calling" and asking for hand in marriage. However, dating is simply seeing what is out there and getting to know the person from the friendship standpoint.

Now people are doing whatever these days and then cry about I didn't know he or she was this way or that way. Hmm.
Re: Do You Prefer "dating" Or "courting" by pynkspyce: 4:21pm On Sep 15, 2011
didnt realise there was a difference
Re: Do You Prefer "dating" Or "courting" by kabukabu50(m): 5:13pm On Sep 15, 2011
Jenifa_:

I personally think that nowadays, men don't court women anymore. It's all about dating in today's world. we have lost respect for the traditional way and this is why divorce rates are going UP. courting prepares you for marriage. dating prepares you for break-up tongue

You guys are taking this way too serious here, there's casual dating and serious/committed dating, I doubt courtship exists anymore anywhere in the world,period.
everyone dates,and if you are casually dating,that means both of you are going out,testing the waters,feeling each other out and either it ultimately leads to commited dating, or it fizzles out and both of you guys move on, simple.

Committed dating might lead to a more serious relationship or it may not, not everyone in the dating pool is on the prowl for marriage.Some are in it for just companionship grin

There are many women out there who are not looking for marriage,likewise men, grin and just because its called "dating" doesn't mean that they are desperate to hop into bed with you.
Re: Do You Prefer "dating" Or "courting" by r231(m): 5:25pm On Sep 15, 2011
whateva works for you undecided
Re: Do You Prefer "dating" Or "courting" by Nobody: 5:29pm On Sep 15, 2011
The difference between dating and courting is >>>>>> NADA!. . . . . .  There is no difference! Dating is regarded as a legitimate way for two people to become better acquainted. It's all in the motive behind dating! Either for FUN or for getting SERIOUS! Dating leads to courting! Courting is an ADVANCED form of Dating! As i am yet to see anyone, man or woman that approaches any opposite member and introduces him/herself with " Can i court you?" It's always Date! Date!! Date!!! Then after the first date and subsequent dates, courting ensues in some cases though!
And who the hell says dating leads to break up? Can you say the same for dating that leads to courting?
Is it all courting that eventually leads to marriage? Anyone?. . . Dating is an avenue to get to know someone better and determine if you could court the person with a view of marrying them! It's not by force to court whoever you dated neither is there any written law that you must marry whoever you courted! It's all in the motive of individual personalities! Some people might take a casual view of dating. It could be that they just enjoy each other's company, without any intention of marriage. Some might even view such a friend as little more than a trophy or an accessory to be seen with in public to boost their own self-esteem. Often, though, such shallow relationships are short-lived. They often lead to break ups! Of course, you cant expect marriage from all dating, right?
People who date for fun, come to view relationships as transitory—which in a sense prepares them for divorce rather than for marriage. Clearly, when you date someone, you’re affecting that person’s feelings 85% of the time. So be sure your intentions are Pure, though not everyone thinks alike. But it saves a lot of unnecessary discombobulation of emotions!
Some people just date, and it ends there! For others, it leads to something else! I think you should date someone when that person really means something to you and you feel your future together has potential. You care about a person, not just the idea of dating!

Sorry for the long post though! I also used to think Dating and courting were Different! But now i know Better!
Re: Do You Prefer "dating" Or "courting" by kabukabu50(m): 5:44pm On Sep 15, 2011
sexkillz:

The difference between dating and courting is >>>>>> NADA!. . . . . . There is no difference! Dating is regarded as a legitimate way for two people to become better acquainted. It's all in the motive behind dating! Either for FUN or for getting SERIOUS! Dating leads to courting! Courting is an ADVANCED form of Dating! As i am yet to see anyone, man or woman that approaches any opposite member and introduces him/herself with " Can i court you?" It's always Date! Date!! Date!!! Then after the first date and subsequent dates, courting ensues in some cases though!
And who the hell says dating leads to break up? Can you say the same for dating that leads to courting?
Is it all courting that eventually leads to marriage? Anyone?. . . Dating is an avenue to get to know someone better and determine if you could court the person with a view of marrying them! It's not by force to court whoever you dated neither is there any written law that you must marry whoever you courted! It's all in the motive of individual personalities! Some people might take a casual view of dating. It could be that they just enjoy each other's company, without any intention of marriage. Some might even view such a friend as little more than a trophy or an accessory to be seen with in public to boost their own self-esteem. Often, though, such shallow relationships are short-lived. They often lead to break ups! Of course, you cant expect marriage from all dating, right?
People who date for fun, come to view relationships as transitory—which in a sense prepares them for divorce rather than for marriage. Clearly, when you date someone, you’re affecting that person’s feelings 85% of the time. So be sure your intentions are Pure, though not everyone thinks alike. But it saves a lot of unnecessary discombobulation of emotions!
Some people just date, and it ends there! For others, it leads to something else! I think you should date someone when that person really means something to you and you feel your future together has potential. You care about a person, not just the idea of dating!

Sorry for the long post though! I also used to think Dating and courting were Different! But now i know Better!

See my post above, not everyone is dating with the idea of getting married, thats why there is casual dating and seious or committed dating. cool
Re: Do You Prefer "dating" Or "courting" by splitnaija(m): 5:57pm On Sep 15, 2011
No, I prefer marriage grin grin grin grin
Re: Do You Prefer "dating" Or "courting" by Sike(m): 11:02pm On Sep 15, 2011
splitnaija:

No, I prefer marriage grin grin grin grin
Everybody wants that but not everybody will get it.
Re: Do You Prefer "dating" Or "courting" by emofine(f): 12:26am On Sep 16, 2011
Dating even sounds casual when you think about it lol, courting sounds sophisticated.

. . .Anyway the way I understood courting or at least within my background . . . during courtship the people whom seek to translate their relationship into marriage (which is not a prerequisite in dating plus dating seems like trial and error to me). . .the two people involved will always arrange to meet in a neutral territory (i.e. a friends' abode). This friend was not an ordinary friend, as the role that person played was to oversee their arrangements etc. . . . because in courting (at least in my background) men and women were not allowed to have premarital sex, so to avoid such situations that friend or intermediary if you like. . was often usually present in the same setting where the couple were. During courtship both parties relay personal information about themselves to one another to obviously confirm if they are compatible or not etc . . . it is a very strict process but now I'm older I must say I do understand and appreciate the value of courting now.
Re: Do You Prefer "dating" Or "courting" by claremont(m): 12:29am On Sep 16, 2011
Jenifa_:

I personally think that nowadays, men don't court women anymore. It's all about dating in today's world. [size=13pt]we have lost respect for the traditional way and this is why divorce rates are going UP[/size]. courting prepares you for marriage. dating prepares you for break-up tongue
Oh really?! shocked shocked
Re: Do You Prefer "dating" Or "courting" by Nobody: 12:41am On Sep 16, 2011
Jenifa_:

@ileke-idi,
do you have a response to the topic?

Nope. Just thought to let you know that you remind me of Oyindamola.
Re: Do You Prefer "dating" Or "courting" by Lax75(m): 12:45am On Sep 16, 2011
Some people say Dating leads to Courting. Not always the case. There are some rear and old fashioned hard-core courters who talk about marriage from day "0." With that being said, the difference between dating and courting is that dating doesn't necessarily come with the expectation of marriage at the end of its "term." Dating could simply be for companionship and that alone. No permanent commitment or intent to make a covenant with that person. Some people also date to "learn more about themselves" through experiences with different people.

Courtship has this implied pressure. Pressure that comes from the expectations of marriage. Courters present their partners to family members (Parents, siblings etc.) and as a result, there are not only expectations from partners, but the family of partners. They all want to make sure that you are worthy of their son, daughter, brother, sister, etc.

Personally, I would rather date because there is less pressure.
Re: Do You Prefer "dating" Or "courting" by Ikroberts: 12:28pm On Sep 16, 2011
dating is all about getting closer to whom you are in love with.
I don't really see the deference between dating and courting because is just all about man and woman in love.

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Boyfriend Called Me A Glutton And Broke Up With Me / My Girlfriend Is Pregnant, Please What Should I Do / 13 Signs You're Falling In Love

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.