Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,323 members, 7,842,949 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 03:37 PM

Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana (27727 Views)

Presidential Poll: Abuja Can’t Be 37th State, Atiku, Obi Tell Supreme Court / Section 299 Of NIG Constitution Confirmed Abuja As 37th State / Geofrey Onyeama: Benin Republic Ready To Be Nigeria’s ‘37th State’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by GeneralPula: 8:28am On Mar 27, 2023
Brendaniel:

If FCT is treated as a state during elections then Nigeria has short changed the people of FCT, I have explained this already on a thread I created, Abuja does not have the structure of other states politically, remove special privilege and it will hurt them, that was the same thing that made them suffer for ministerial appointments till they fought it to supreme court, remember they don't have governorship election, so the presidential election doubles as their governorship election, you see why it has to be mandatory you get t least 25% there, they also don't have house of assembly election, so you can't treat them as other states.

They need that special privilege if you do not want to short change them, I will be posting a new topic on this issue hopefully this night..
Infact, if FCT is not treated as a state, any votes you get from there is a waste..

For law to recognize any election in Nigeria, it needs to hold in a state. This is why FCT is made 37th state during election. So that any votes you secure from there won’t be a waste. That’s why. Nothing else..

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by telleyway: 9:02am On Mar 27, 2023
priceactionx:
Before you start insulting this man, as Nigeria politics is involved, if the 25 percent makes sense, don't you think a candidate that knows he can't win a presidential election will just concentrate all his energy on Abuja election in other to win massively and be a spoiler for the leading candidate not to get 25 percent there so that the election will be cancelled? If it's in that case ,do you think it that way?don't tell me it can't happen?

Many people or young guys and some lawyers are just misinterpreting the Abuja requirements out of sentiments. This case is just no case .
Apart from the uproar it can lead the country to and the cost of running another elections which Nigerian government won't want to risk, this case has been settled during obj regime. No question about it.

The defence lawyers will make reference to it and the case will most likely thrown out. That's how Nigerian court of law works if you don't know. It's only a fresh files that has never been treated as such gets lots of debates.

Lawyers know this, but they are just trying to make money for their pockets. Even tinubu drug case will likely be thrown out. It has been treated before, apart from jurisdiction and timeline of the events.
Just look how dapo abiodun own was thrown out, despite being convicted. Many people don't even know how their country works.

It is true that in Nigerian courts, anything can happen. Moreso, cases are mostly not won based on merits but technicalities. However, your analogy here with due respect is off point.
Falana was wise by saying there are Court decisions already and that he will not give a specific answer because he knows it can swing any side. One of the court decisions about fct was 2008 instituted by Buhari. The supreme court declared that 25% "AND FCT" shall be treated conjectively, meaning it's a must for you to get 25% in FCT to be president.

Let's see how the crop of supreme court justices will do this time.

3 Likes

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by Nobody: 9:06am On Mar 27, 2023
Ibrahimcoomasie:

https://www.channelstv.com/2023/03/26/votes-cast-in-all-parts-of-nigeria-are-equal-abuja-taken-as-37th-state-says-falana/

“And since the FCT has been interpreted to be a 37th state in Nigeria for the purpose of the constitution I didn’t see any controversy at the material time and that was when I expressed my opinion."

Gbam!
Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by Brendaniel: 9:07am On Mar 27, 2023
Keegan:

Some of you are either foolish or deliberately mischievous.

Abuja FCT cannot be more than any state of the Federation in status. Its creation is just for the administrative purposes, and its inclusion in that section of the Constitution is just not to deprive its residents of their civil responsibilities else the thirty-six states are the real issue.

I won't argue on this matter here, the law is clear on it.....

1 Like

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by Nobody: 9:13am On Mar 27, 2023
telleyway:

It is true that in Nigerian courts, anything can happen. Moreso, cases are mostly not won based on merits but technicalities. However, your analogy here with due respect is off point.
Falana was wise by saying there are Court decisions already and that he will not give a specific answer because he knows it can swing any side. One of the court decisions about fct was 2008 instituted by Buhari. The supreme court declared that 25% "AND FCT" shall be treated conjectively, meaning it's a must for you to get 25% in FCT to be president.

Let's see how the crop of supreme court justices will do this time.
I hope it will breed a fresh judgement but I doubt it if it will go against APC and the election will be cancelled for a rerun. They will turn the country upside down and politicians will use citizens against themselves which will likely lead to anarchy especially when buhari is out of government. It will still be decided by technicalities imho. Nigeria is so complex. Everyone including the judges are saving their head. The higher numbers of judges might weigh all options and hold on to a fault that might likely favour the ruling party.
My submission. Let's see how it goes.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by Nobody: 9:14am On Mar 27, 2023
GeneralPula:

Infact, if FCT is not treated as a state, any votes you get from there is a waste..

For law to recognize any election in Nigeria, it needs to hold in a state. This is why FCT is made 37th state during election. So that any votes you secure from there won’t be a waste. That’s why. Nothing else..
Thanks for further clarification

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by Oskiki: 9:14am On Mar 27, 2023
priceactionx:
Before you start insulting this man, as Nigeria politics is involved, if the 25 percent makes sense, don't you think a candidate that knows he can't win a presidential election will just concentrate all his energy on Abuja election in other to win massively and be a spoiler for the leading candidate not to get 25 percent there so that the election will be cancelled? If it's in that case ,do you think it that way?don't tell me it can't happen?

Many people or young guys and some lawyers are just misinterpreting the Abuja requirements out of sentiments. This case is just no case .
Apart from the uproar it can lead the country to and the cost of running another elections which Nigerian government won't want to risk, this case has been settled during obj regime. No question about it.

The defence lawyers will make reference to it and the case will most likely thrown out. That's how Nigerian court of law works if you don't know. It's only a fresh files that has never been treated as such gets lots of debates.

Lawyers know this, but they are just trying to make money for their pockets. Even tinubu drug case will likely be thrown out. It has been treated before, apart from jurisdiction and timeline of the events.
Just look how dapo abiodun own was thrown out, despite being convicted. Many people don't even know how their country works.

If you pass English and fail chemistry, physics you won't gain admission to study medicine. If you pass chemistry and physics but fail English you won't still gain admission. The requisite is pass physics, chemistry biology AND English to study medicine. Simple analogy

1 Like

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by Ofunaofu: 9:17am On Mar 27, 2023
Brendaniel:

If FCT is treated as a state during elections then Nigeria has short changed the people of FCT, I have explained this already on a thread I created, Abuja does not have the structure of other states politically, remove special privilege and it will hurt them, that was the same thing that made them suffer for ministerial appointments till they fought it to supreme court, remember they don't have governorship election, so the presidential election doubles as their governorship election, you see why it has to be mandatory you get t least 25% there, they also don't have house of assembly election, so you can't treat them as other states.

They need that special privilege if you do not want to short change them, I will be posting a new topic on this issue hopefully this night..

Thank you for this expository

The truth is that INEC erred in making a declaration as regards the presidential election when the candidate so declared did not meet this particular requirement.

3 Likes

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by Nobody: 9:18am On Mar 27, 2023
Oskiki:

If you pass English and fail chemistry, physics you won't gain admission to study medicine. If you pass chemistry and physics but fail English you won't still gain admission. The requisite is pass physics, chemistry biology AND English to study medicine. Simple analogy
Let's see how it goes, it's a matter of time. Nigeria is a complex country and are not ready to change for good. Technicalities is what they will use to scatter that case.

1 Like

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by Afamed: 9:21am On Mar 27, 2023
limeta:
If Abuja is a state
Who is the elected governor
A state do not have apointed minister
Abuja is not a state.

Too many lazy youths in Nigeria.

Does Washington DC, the US capital have a gov? NO

What you have in Washington DC is elected Major just like the elected Senator in FCT

Una too lazy for that una side.

14 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by Brendaniel: 9:21am On Mar 27, 2023
GeneralPula:

Like I said you guys don't pay attention to details, if FCT was regarded a state, they wouldn't need to write it, go and read the constitution, anywhere they write in all the states, they will include and the FCT, Abuja.

Because the constitution does not see Abuja as a state, so if it is not included in writing, then it has automatically been excluded from any benefits the states are getting, ask yourself why Abuja is the only location that is written in that constitution, the constitution did not even specify the number of states either, it just said all the states, if Abuja was considered a state, they wouldn't need to write and the FCT, Abuja again.

It is like a man who has five boys and a girl, and he says share my money among all the boys and the girl, can you say because he included the girl to be given something from his money then she has automatically become a boy by that virtue?

No she remains a girl, the man knows that if he says share among all the boys then the girl automatically has lost out if he is not specific to include the girl, but does that change the status of that girl to a boy?

1 Like

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by GeneralPula: 9:39am On Mar 27, 2023
Brendaniel:

Like I said you guys don't pay attention to details, if FCT was regarded a state, they wouldn't need to write it, go and read the constitution, anywhere they write in all the states, they will include and the FCT, Abuja.

Because the constitution does not see Abuja as a state, so if it is not included in writing, then it has automatically been excluded from any benefits the states are getting, ask yourself why Abuja is the only location that is written in that constitution, the constitution did not even specify the number of states either, it just said all the states, if Abuja was considered a state, they wouldn't need to write and the FCT, Abuja again.

It is like a man who has five boys and a girl, and he says share my money among all the boys and the girl, can you say because he included the girl to be given something from his money then she has automatically become a boy by that virtue?

No she remains a girl, the man knows that if he says share among all the boys then the girl automatically has lost out if he is not specific to include the girl, but does that change the status of that girl to a boy?
From your analogy. If the man didn't add the girl, it means the girl is blank to the money sharing..

Same goes for the FCT. If FCT isn't added among states during elections, it means voting can't be happening in Abuja because any votes you get from there is a waste. It won't be recognize under the law..

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by Brendaniel: 9:42am On Mar 27, 2023
GeneralPula:

From your analogy. If the man didn't add the girl, it means the girl is blank to the money sharing..

Same goes for the FCT. If FCT isn't added among states during elections, it means voting can't be happening in Abuja because any votes you get from there is a waste. It won't be recognize under the law..

Simple, meaning FCT Is not a state, if not it would have been covered when states was written in the constitution....

2 Likes

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by sukkot: 10:00am On Mar 27, 2023
exactly
Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by AntiChristian: 10:00am On Mar 27, 2023
Only fools believe otherwise!

Even Chat GPT supports the SAN.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by Tinubuwins2023e: 10:00am On Mar 27, 2023
ProtectMyMoney:

Another Senior Agbero of Nigeria (SAN) Femi Falana interpreting rubbish..for many years, no Agbero has interpreted Abuja to be a 37th state because it cannot have a Governor.

That is the father of Falz your so much adored Obidient celebrity. One thing I have come to realize about Obidafts is that they are so foolish in thinking and there brain is empty.

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by onatisi(m): 10:01am On Mar 27, 2023
this explanation makes sense , but if the other side too state their own side , that also will make sense . so at the end of the day it is up to the judges to decide which path and judgement will be the best for the nation

Ibrahimcoomasie:

https://www.channelstv.com/2023/03/26/votes-cast-in-all-parts-of-nigeria-are-equal-abuja-taken-as-37th-state-says-falana/

1 Like

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by prettyliz(f): 10:01am On Mar 27, 2023

1 Like

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by spiralwedge(m): 10:02am On Mar 27, 2023
It’s ridiculous that we have to be explaining this part of the law every election year since 1999.

What is wrong with people?

There are many court references already. Is it that people are ignorant, or politicians knowingly twist things to brainwash their illiterate and delusional followers?

Because what is this explanation every four years?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by ejimatic: 10:03am On Mar 27, 2023
N3TRAL:
There's no contention here. Even Atiku's and Obi's lead counsels know they have no case.

If we no ginger clients to file cases in court, how litigation lawyers go take chop?

ASIWAJU IS COMING !

Abuja already has the toga of state and it is not above other states.All the 37 states are on the same pedestal .So two third of NIGERIA states means 25 states out of 37 in Nigeria. Buhari vrs Obasanjo 2003 Supreme Court judgement.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by anigbajumo(m): 10:03am On Mar 27, 2023
Brendaniel:

All your story is trash, Just search section 299 of the constitution and see that u are vomiting gibberish. Google is there for u to educate urself, just type section 299 and delete that rubbish you write up there.

10 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by uncleade(m): 10:04am On Mar 27, 2023
Either they are pretending or they don't understand english language.

2 Likes

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by gigabyte13: 10:04am On Mar 27, 2023
SAD-EASTERNERS
Will not like this.......
Early morning sadness for the Sons and Daughters of hate and perdition.....
Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by Nobody: 10:04am On Mar 27, 2023
If Abj is interpreted as 37th state,where is her Governor,you can only end up ridiculing yourself when you try hard to defend the defenseless,even with all the aggressive rigging, Tinubu still couldn't meet the required constitutional right to be declared a president elect.

2 Likes

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by Heffalump(m): 10:05am On Mar 27, 2023
Brendaniel:
Abuja is not the 37th state...

Nigeria has 36 states and capital

Falana is just playing the Kinsman card. It won't work.

1 Like

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by karnap(m): 10:05am On Mar 27, 2023
N3TRAL:
There's no contention here. Even Atiku's and Obi's lead counsels know they have no case.

If we no ginger clients to file cases in court, how litigation lawyers go take chop?

ASIWAJU IS COMING !

For.the seek of knowledge I want to ask this question

I gave you and your friend to go and buy orange for me.to win a prize

Here is the conditions to win it.

You most buy me enough orange and apple to be able to win this prize.

Your friend bought plenty orange but he didn't buy Apple.

You in the other hand buy moderate orange a d the apple .

Who will win this prize.

1 Like

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by paymentvoucher: 10:05am On Mar 27, 2023
A Governor where there is Sitting President? shocked

Fighter2029:
If Abj is interpreted as 37th state,where is her Governor

1 Like

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by id911(m): 10:06am On Mar 27, 2023
I hope Peter Obi's lawyers and FCT residents are seeing this? If these people are saying FCT is now suddenly treated as a state during elections then, FCT must be given the right to choose their Governor, House of Assembly members, House of Representatives members, additional 2 senators and other privileges they've been denied.

2 Likes

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by N3TRAL: 10:06am On Mar 27, 2023
karnap:

For.the seek of knowledge I want to ask this question

I gave you and your friend to go and buy orange for me.to win a prize

Here is the conditions to win it.

You most buy me enough orange and apple to be able to win this prize.

Your friend bought plenty orange but he didn't buy Apple.

You in the other hand buy moderate orange a d the apple .

Who will win this prize.

Lol. It doesn't work that way in law.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by paymentvoucher: 10:07am On Mar 27, 2023
Section 299 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria

The provisions of this Constitution shall apply to the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja as if it were one of the States of the Federation; and accordingly -

(a) all the legislative powers, the executive powers and the judicial powers vested in the House of Assembly, the Governor of a State and in the courts of a State shall, respectively, vest in the National Assembly, the President of the Federation and in the courts which by virtue of the foregoing provisions are courts established for the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja;

(b) all the powers referred to in paragraph (a) of this section shall be exercised in accordance with the provisions of this Constitution; and

(c) the provisions of this Constitution pertaining to the matters aforesaid shall be read with such modifications and adaptations as may be reasonably necessary to bring them into conformity with the provisions of this section.
More: https://jurist.ng/constitution/sec-299
id911:
I hope Peter Obi's lawyers and FCT residents are seeing this? If these people are saying FCT is now suddenly treated as a state during elections then, FCT must be given the right to choose their Governor, House of Assembly members, House of Representatives members, additional 2 senators and other privileges they've been denied.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by walefresh3(m): 10:08am On Mar 27, 2023
Brendaniel:
Abuja is not the 37th state...

Nigeria has 36 states and capital
go back to school

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by karnap(m): 10:08am On Mar 27, 2023
GeneralPula:

But during elections, FCT is treated like a state.. Making 37th states during elections..

Who then is the governor?

And the local government.

Why are we talking like we don't understand English

There is a reason the word AND was use.

I said before you will win a prize,brings me 5 white chicken and a goat.

You brings me 5 chicken, where is the goat to win the prize

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Gunshots As Soldiers Go On Rampage In Borno / 9th NASS: Epic Battle Brews In Senate / We Came To Possess Our Possession- Abuja Residents Cart Away Palliatives (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.