Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,143 members, 7,842,286 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 04:33 AM

Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana (27722 Views)

Presidential Poll: Abuja Can’t Be 37th State, Atiku, Obi Tell Supreme Court / Section 299 Of NIG Constitution Confirmed Abuja As 37th State / Geofrey Onyeama: Benin Republic Ready To Be Nigeria’s ‘37th State’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by Afamed: 10:10am On Mar 27, 2023
spiralwedge:
It’s ridiculous that we have to be explaining this part of the law every election year since 1999.

What is wrong with people?

There are many court references already. Is it that people are ignorant, or politicians knowingly twist things to brainwash their illiterate and delusional followers?

Because what is this explanation every four years?

You know , we have political lawyers too. Like Sam Amadi. Once a section of a law does not represent their interest, They are ready to interpret it in different direction , just to favour their agenda,

If you listen to Amadi few days on Arise Tv, the way he was trying to give different definitions to constitutional requirement , you qill know , something is actual wrong with him

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by karnap(m): 10:10am On Mar 27, 2023
The point !!! The word AND has meaning in the law.
Brendaniel:

If FCT is treated as a state during elections then Nigeria has short changed the people of FCT, I have explained this already on a thread I created, Abuja does not have the structure of other states politically, remove special privilege and it will hurt them, that was the same thing that made them suffer for ministerial appointments till they fought it to supreme court, remember they don't have governorship election, so the presidential election doubles as their governorship election, you see why it has to be mandatory you get t least 25% there, they also don't have house of assembly election, so you can't treat them as other states.

They need that special privilege if you do not want to short change them, I will be posting a new topic on this issue hopefully this night..
Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by GGirll: 10:10am On Mar 27, 2023
This idiotic tribalists can say anything to justify the thief n drug baron, we will resist it no matter what, useless stupid tribalistic tribe.
Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by id911(m): 10:11am On Mar 27, 2023
paymentvoucher:
Section 299 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria

The provisions of this Constitution shall apply to the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja as if it were one of the States of the Federation; and accordingly -

(a) all the legislative powers, the executive powers and the judicial powers vested in the House of Assembly, the Governor of a State and in the courts of a State shall, respectively, vest in the National Assembly, the President of the Federation and in the courts which by virtue of the foregoing provisions are courts established for the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja;

(b) all the powers referred to in paragraph (a) of this section shall be exercised in accordance with the provisions of this Constitution; and

(c) the provisions of this Constitution pertaining to the matters aforesaid shall be read with such modifications and adaptations as may be reasonably necessary to bring them into conformity with the provisions of this section.
More: https://jurist.ng/constitution/sec-299
I didn't mention you so comment your own and leave my comment alone.
Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by paymentvoucher: 10:12am On Mar 27, 2023
The provisions of this Constitution shall apply to the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja as if it were one of the States of the Federation; and accordingly -

(a) all the legislative powers, the executive powers and the judicial powers vested in the House of Assembly, the Governor of a State and in the courts of a State shall, respectively, vest in the National Assembly, the President of the Federation and in the courts which by virtue of the foregoing provisions are courts established for the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja;

(b) all the powers referred to in paragraph (a) of this section shall be exercised in accordance with the provisions of this Constitution; and

(c) the provisions of this Constitution pertaining to the matters aforesaid shall be read with such modifications and adaptations as may be reasonably necessary to bring them into conformity with the provisions of this section.
karnap:

Who then is the governor?

And the local government.

Why are we talking like we don't understand English

There is a reason the word AND was use.

I said before you will win a prize,brings me 5 white chicken and a goat.

You brings me 5 chicken, where is the goat to win the prize
Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by karnap(m): 10:12am On Mar 27, 2023
The law didn't say,we have 37 state,
They are trying to bent the law for the their selfish interest.

Why can't they asked the question during the amendment of the constitution.

Abuja is not a state.
Law didn't provide that.

1 Like

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by spiralwedge(m): 10:12am On Mar 27, 2023
Afamed:

You know , we have political lawyers too. Like Sam Amadi. Once a section of a law does not represent their interest, They are ready to interpret it in different direction , just to favour their agenda,

If you listen to Amadi few days on Arise Tv, the way he was trying to give different definitions to constitutional requirement , you qill know , something is actual wrong with him

To think I used to respect that man, he lost it by being carried away by emotions and delusions of the Obidient movement
Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by id911(m): 10:14am On Mar 27, 2023
karnap:
The point !!! The word AND has meaning in the law.
Supreme Court has already defined "AND" as conjunctive in relation to FCT in their ruling. I wonder where they're going to manufacture another definition to favour whoever they're supporting.
Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by paymentvoucher: 10:14am On Mar 27, 2023
Check Section 299 of the Nigerian Constitution. I bet you will delete this comment
karnap:
The law didn't say,we have 37 state,
They are trying to bent the law for the their selfish interest.

Why can't they asked the question during the amendment of the constitution.

Abuja is not a state.
Law didn't provide that.
Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by Nobody: 10:14am On Mar 27, 2023
Brendaniel:
Abuja is not the 37th state...

Nigeria has 36 states and capital

Even entertaining your argument, does that make Abuja a geographical space full of Einsteins and rocket scientists whose votes are superior to those of other Nigerians elsewhere to the extent they must be pivotal to who becomes President or not?

The 25% Abuja vote thingy is patently discriminatory and insulting to other States of Nigeria and their indigenes.

Even a child will tell you it is patently flawed, because it hints at the supremacy of Abuja voters, and will be thrown out in seconds.

I have not seen similar anywhere else in the world, I.e London or New York vote superior to others, and I really cannot see how anyone can entertain a backward precedence that supports what is patently discriminatory, unprogressive and flawed.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by BillyGamija: 10:16am On Mar 27, 2023
Alright
Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by Tee2027: 10:18am On Mar 27, 2023
Falana pls tell those bitch obi goats pls.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by onuman: 10:20am On Mar 27, 2023
raskymonojendor:
Obidients won't like this news. I am sure they would say Falana has been bribed by Tinubu grin
But what did you Tinubu urchinss understand from what Falana said? Or, are you all semi- illiterates?

2 Likes

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by DeOTR: 10:20am On Mar 27, 2023
Fighter2029:
If Abj is interpreted as 37th state,where is her Governor,you can only end up ridiculing yourself when you try hard to defend the defenseless,even with all the aggressive rigging, Tinubu still couldn't meet the required constitutional right to be declared a president elect.
The Minister acts as the Governor, the National assembly the law makers, the Area councils, local governments.
These things have already been explained in several other judgements, but if the oppositions decide to waste their time in court, they're welcome.
Section 299 already asked the FCT to be treated as if it's a state of the federation on constitutional matters.
Not mentioning the FCT in section 134 would have made it impossible for residents of the FCT to vote, since it's not so called a state, but a later section clears that doubt.
As much as I agree that the wordings of that section is ambiguous (I feel further explanations should have sufficed), it's not meant to be misunderstood.

1 Like

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by Omoawoke: 10:22am On Mar 27, 2023
That this is an argument is a disgrace that we share a country with people with extremely low IQ.

Imagine that Kenneth Okonkwo arguing and vibrating on live tv claiming Abuja is a must. So many sick people in this country

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by ogwumgbe: 10:23am On Mar 27, 2023
GeneralPula:

But during elections, FCT is treated like a state.. Making 37th states during elections..

For law to recognize any election in Nigeria, it needs to hold in a state. This is why FCT is made 37th state during election. So that any votes you secure from there won’t be a waste. That’s why. Nothing else..

You are saying rubbish, FCT is not a state it's a federal capital territory and the law specifically mentioned two thirds of all the states { and} the federal capital territory, the constitution is plain there even to a lay man's understanding. There's no muthafucking SAN that will say otherwise and if the SC refused to do the needful, then there's no constitution in Nigeria period

1 Like

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by ppogba: 10:25am On Mar 27, 2023
raskymonojendor:
Obidients won't like this news. I am sure they would say Falana has been bribed by Tinubu grin

You are wrong.
They will soon say Falana was on a stretcher on the way to India to collect his bribe from Keyamo.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by Brendaniel: 10:26am On Mar 27, 2023
Dsalvo:

Even entertaining your argument, does that make Abuja a geographical space full of Einsteins and rocket scientists whose votes are superior to those of other Nigerians elsewhere to the extent they must be pivotal to who becomes President or not?

The 25% Abuja vote thingy is patently discriminatory and insulting to other States of Nigeria and their indigenes.

Even a child will tell you it is patently flawed, because it hints at the supremacy of Abuja voters, and will be thrown out in seconds.

I have not seen similar anywhere else in the world, I.e London or New York vote superior to others, and I really cannot see how anyone can entertain a backward precedence that supports what is patently discriminatory, unprogressive and flawed.

If FCT is treated as a state during elections then Nigeria has short changed the people of FCT, I have explained this already on a thread I created, Abuja does not have the structure of other states politically, remove special privilege and it will hurt them, that was the same thing that made them suffer for ministerial appointments till they fought it to supreme court, remember they don't have governorship election, so the presidential election doubles as their governorship election, you see why it has to be mandatory you get t least 25% there, they also don't have house of assembly election, so you can't treat them as other states.

They need that special privilege if you do not want to short change them.

A man has 5 boys and a girl and he says share my money among the 5 boys and the girl, does adding her automatically change her status to a boy, if she was already by status a boy would the man need to still say and the girl in his statement, why the man is specific on the girl is because he knows she is different and if he doesn't add her she is automatically disqualified from the benefits by the virtue of been a girl.

But does that still change her status to be a boy?

1 Like

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by Nobody: 10:26am On Mar 27, 2023
GGirll:
This idiotic tribalists can say anything to justify the thief n drug baron, we will resist it no matter what, useless stupid tribalistic tribe.

Resist it all you want. Commonsense and logic will win in the end. There is no way you can argue, in 2023, that anyone can successful propose the vote of an Abuja indigene is superior to mine in Lagos. That is patently unacceptable discrimination.

If you have any sense you will stop complicating what is simple. First go and find an example where voters elitism, by geography, is supported in any sovereign and democratic nation of the world today and we can talk about Nigeria alone wanting to disgrace herself going back to the dark ages when, for nations, it should be 'forward always backwards never..

Show, for example, the votes of Parisiens being superior to those who voted in Toulouse or Marseille then we go from there.

Being an Obi fanatic should not blind you to the fact that no ruling can take Nigeria back to 1920 reality of elitism and segregation. It will be established that Abuja votes is not superior to that of any other State of Nigeria and that voting in Abuja cannot ever determine who becomes president of Nigeria.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by onuman: 10:27am On Mar 27, 2023
Dsalvo:

Abuja is special because that's where the president lives.
Therefore, to be welcome in Abuja, a president is expected to get permission from residents of Abuja through, at least 25% of votes from Abuja residents. That's what the writers of the constitution had in mind when they mentioned the 36 states AND Abuja.

A state has a governor. Abuja has no governor.

1 Like

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by afbstrategies: 10:27am On Mar 27, 2023
N3TRAL:
There's no contention here. Even Atiku's and Obi's lead counsels know they have no case.

If we no ginger clients to file cases in court, how litigation lawyers go take chop?

ASIWAJU IS COMING !

Did they tell you they have no case? Gbegele. Why are they in court then?
Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by ppogba: 10:28am On Mar 27, 2023
Omoawoke:
That this is an argument is a disgrace that we share a country with people with extremely low IQ.

Imagine that Kenneth Okonkwo arguing and vibrating on live tv claiming Abuja is a must. So many sick people in this country

You should have SINPARTY for Kenneth Okonkwo. The young lads have pushed him out of Nollywood.

The last film he acted featured Sam Loco Efe who died decades ago.

Guy man dey hustle for daily bread since heaven does not give again and has directed every man to hustle.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by DECLAN2015(m): 10:29am On Mar 27, 2023
ProtectMyMoney:

Another Senior Agbero of Nigeria (SAN) Femi Falana interpreting rubbish..for many years, no Agbero has interpreted Abuja to be a 37th state because it cannot have a Governor.

because he did not say the lies u want to hear
Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by afbstrategies: 10:30am On Mar 27, 2023
Himtulie247:
Very soon Dem go come to ASO ROCK for ....... Dinner with President BAT grin grin grin
You don’t know both men because they are not like you people. We all know who is who in Nigeria and what they’re known for.
Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by afbstrategies: 10:30am On Mar 27, 2023
Himtulie247:
Very soon Dem go come to ASO ROCK for ....... Dinner with President BAT grin grin grin
You don’t know both men because they are not like you people. We all know who is who in Nigeria and what they’re known for. 😀😀😀
Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by paymentvoucher: 10:32am On Mar 27, 2023
It's you that is saying rubbish.

ogwumgbe:

You are saying rubbish, FCT is not a state it's a federal capital territory and the law specifically mentioned two thirds of all the states { and} the federal capital territory, the constitution is plain there even to a lay man's understanding. There's no muthafucking SAN that will say otherwise and if the SC refused to do the needful, then there's no constitution in Nigeria period
Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by ppogba: 10:32am On Mar 27, 2023
spiralwedge:

To think I used to respect that man, he lost it by being carried away by emotions and delusions of the Obidient movement

I can assure you that there are many more like him that you respect so much but are only disguising their tribalistic sentiment for one reason or the other.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by ChukwuObe: 10:32am On Mar 27, 2023
limeta:
If Abuja is a state
Who is the elected governor
A state do not have apointed minister
Abuja is not a state.

Many of you are fools. Go and listen to Kenneth Okonkwo on Arise TV. He quoted a section of the constitution that says President is the governor of Abuja.
Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by SmartyPants(m): 10:32am On Mar 27, 2023
This is not accurate reporting. What he said was that he had already made comments on this in January, and was reluctant to make further comments since the matter is sub judice.

Let's avoid inflaming the polity by misrepresenting people's words!
Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by SmartyPants(m): 10:34am On Mar 27, 2023
Brendaniel:
Abuja is not the 37th state...

Nigeria has 36 states and capital

Glad you're getting it now. The Constitution meant to say you must get 1/4 of 2/3 of all the federating units. Since the FCT is not a State, the only way to express this is to say get 1/4 of 2/3 of all the 36 States and the FCT.

Now, what Mr Falana has said (in the past) is that the FCT has the status of a State - meaning it is to be treated no differently from the States. The implication is that when trying to interpret the meaning of Section 134, no interpretation can be given which would put the FCT in either a superior or inferior position relative to any other state.

Meaning, the requirement in section 134 is conjunctive, both in plain English, and on the basis of trite constitutional principles.

4 Likes

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by ppogba: 10:37am On Mar 27, 2023
Oskiki:

If you pass English and fail chemistry, physics you won't gain admission to study medicine. If you pass chemistry and physics but fail English you won't still gain admission. The requisite is pass physics, chemistry biology AND English to study medicine. Simple analogy

The seven justices of the supreme court will not base their judgement on Simple Analogy. There is no historical antecedent to prove that the SC has ever done that.
Second, they will not base their argument on secondary school students analogy of what are who qualifies to study medicine or islamic engineering.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

BRT: Lagos Govt Terminates Agreement With Operator / Dino Melaye’s Name Missing From ABU Alumni Website-Punch / Christian Ehima: Reports Of Army Torturing A Man To Death Is Misleading - Army

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.