Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,141 members, 7,842,281 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 04:02 AM

Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana (27718 Views)

Presidential Poll: Abuja Can’t Be 37th State, Atiku, Obi Tell Supreme Court / Section 299 Of NIG Constitution Confirmed Abuja As 37th State / Geofrey Onyeama: Benin Republic Ready To Be Nigeria’s ‘37th State’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by samfrancis1(m): 11:57am On Mar 27, 2023
Brendaniel:

If FCT is treated as a state during elections then Nigeria has short changed the people of FCT, I have explained this already on a thread I created, Abuja does not have the structure of other states politically, remove special privilege and it will hurt them, that was the same thing that made them suffer for ministerial appointments till they fought it to supreme court, remember they don't have governorship election, so the presidential election doubles as their governorship election, you see why it has to be mandatory you get t least 25% there, they also don't have house of assembly election, so you can't treat them as other states.

They need that special privilege if you do not want to short change them, I will be posting a new topic on this issue hopefully this night..
the a presidential candidate can decide to leave all 36 state and campaign only in Abuja and after winning the fct can always bring case to court for the other who win 36 state and couldn’t secure Abuja.

1 Like

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by chukseric504869: 12:03pm On Mar 27, 2023
I don't even know why this issue is generating controversy just because of political interest ,people are now trying to turn white to black.even common sense should let us know that 25% ought not to be compulsory.if I may ask,are people living in Abuja more superior to other Nigerians in other state,do they have two heads?why must they be given a special consideration that one must got 25%before qualified to be president cos they are saints or what?mehn this issue is damn annoying me.so if one is not known in Abuja,he can never be president of this country even if he got spread across other states? Mehn let's make use of our God given sense .common sense should teach us that while Abuja is mention in that section of the constitution is to enable the 25% vote one get in Abuja to be considered as one of the states the person has gotten 25%

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by Pavillon: 12:05pm On Mar 27, 2023
wildernessVoice:

FCT is never treated as a State. It stands alone for candidate to win 25% of votes as requirement for winning presidential election.
If FCT is treated as a State; why is gubernatorial election not held rather it's administer by Mr. President via a minister.
I'm ashamed that a lawyer of Falana status exhibit tribal bigotry on a simple phrase in our constitution. Probably he wants to be hired by BAT to get his share of the illicit cash of a drug baron.

Funny enough, he cleared that 1 month before the election
Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by Mutigadara1: 12:05pm On Mar 27, 2023
Read section 299 of the Nigerian constitution.
He is not a SAN for nothing.
ProtectMyMoney:

Another Senior Agbero of Nigeria (SAN) Femi Falana interpreting rubbish..for many years, no Agbero has interpreted Abuja to be a 37th state because it cannot have a Governor.

1 Like

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by StreetFight: 12:09pm On Mar 27, 2023
ProtectMyMoney:

Another Senior Agbero of Nigeria (SAN) Femi Falana interpreting rubbish..for many years, no Agbero has interpreted Abuja to be a 37th state because it cannot have a Governor.

The same hatred that killed your parents is holding you to ransom. If there is anybody in Nigeria that is qualified to be Femi Falana's maid, please specify here

2 Likes

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by Brendaniel: 12:09pm On Mar 27, 2023
samfrancis1:
the a presidential candidate can decide to leave all 36 state and campaign only in Abuja and after winning the fct can always bring case to court for the other who win 36 state and couldn’t secure Abuja.

it didn't say you must win Abuja, it says at least 25%...
Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by favor914: 12:10pm On Mar 27, 2023
wildernessVoice:

FCT is never treated as a State. It stands alone for candidate to win 25% of votes as requirement for winning presidential election.
If FCT is treated as a State; why is gubernatorial election not held rather it's administer by Mr. President via a minister.
I'm ashamed that a lawyer of Falana status exhibit tribal bigotry on a simple phrase in our constitution. Probably he wants to be hired by BAT to get his share of the illicit cash of a drug baron.
Please shut up ignorant thing, & stop spreading false rhetoric, you think we are here for guess opinions subject to your obvious ignorance?

Abuja is considered a State of The Federal Republic of Nigeria.

299. The provisions of this Constitution shall apply to the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja as if it were one of the States of the Federation; and accordingly.

So it is unambiguous from the provisions of the aforementioned section, all arguments on the status of The FCT settled.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by MightySparrow: 12:11pm On Mar 27, 2023
Brendaniel:

Even SAN's lose cases due to wrong interpretations of the law...

Not in beer parlour

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by Brendaniel: 12:12pm On Mar 27, 2023
SmartyPants:

How so?

1. FCT does not have governorship elections - The presidential election doubles as their governorship election, how can over 75% percent of the people you want to govern reject you?

2. The FCT is a representation of the entire states in the country, that is why all the senators and the house of reps converge there depriving them of having a house of assembly, that means the people even legislating for them where not elected by them, unlike the 36 states where you have representation from all parts of the state.
Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by Brendaniel: 12:13pm On Mar 27, 2023
MightySparrow:

Not in beer parlour

Whether beer parlour or not, it doesn't change the fact that they lose cases because of wrong interpretation ....

1 Like

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by Brendaniel: 12:15pm On Mar 27, 2023
OlawaleBammie:
grin grin grin

Bro wake up..wake up bro.

See lemme tell u one bitter truth, I am not saying u should believe it but just ponder on it.

"Igbos are making everybody their enemies, attacking the other two major tribes... Now after eight years and nobody support the Igbos, they will be crying again that we jettison them"

I hope u guys orientate Ur brothers to know how to build bridges..it go a long way.

Like me, swear I wanted to vote for obi cus I am not a tribal person, but seeing Ur brothers calling my tribes a sort of names and claiming victims on what they are guilty of made me change my mind. Now I promise, I don't see myself voting for any Igbo man in the future, I would not even try to campaign for them talk more of voting.

If supporting your tribe overrides doing what is right for you then you are doing the wrong thing...
Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by MightySparrow: 12:18pm On Mar 27, 2023
Brendaniel:

Whether beer parlour or not, it doesn't change the fact that they lose cases because of wrong interpretation ....

So you want to tell us the 25% of FCT can nullify the rest votes of the other 24 states or more…?

Let us keep watching. Brother.
No fight. I am Obidient but this legal thing call for big concern.

I don't believe anything can come out of it other than enriching the lawyers.

2 Likes

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by favor914: 12:20pm On Mar 27, 2023
Brendaniel:

1. FCT does not have governorship elections - The presidential election doubles as their governorship election, how can over 75% percent of the people you want to govern reject you?

2. The FCT is a representation of the entire states in the country, that is why all the senators and the house of reps converge there depriving them of having a house of assembly, that means the people even legislating for them where not elected by them, unlike the 36 states where you have representation from all parts of the state.
Stop exhibiting your ignorance, all yea oblivious minded Ipobians, Abuja is considered the 37th state of the federation.

299. The provisions of this Constitution shall apply to the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja as if it were one of the States of the Federation; and accordingly.
Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by Karlirk: 12:20pm On Mar 27, 2023
blaise26abj:

God bless you . It’s like a man with 36 wives and one baby mama who dies and leaves a will . In it he says my 37 houses should be shared equally between my 36 WIVES AND MY BABY MAMA . Thereby ensuring that IN HIS WILL all of them are treated equally . Not making the baba mama superior to the other wives or LESS superior to the other wives .

ABUJA cannot have a superior status to all the states . Because it will mean ,if interpreted otherwise, a VOTE in abuja carries more value than any other vote in nigeria . This will open doors to terrible consequences for the polity in abuja . Killings and violence , extreme transfer of PVCs to abuja among others

You are very daft or mischievous. Go and read the said sections. There is the use of EACH of ....AND FCT.

EACH and AND are particular words you must pay attention to. I don't blame the UK for requesting IELTS test before certifying immigrants from developing countries they colonized proficient in the English language. Basic comprehension is a skill.

There can never be thugs in the FCT, like you have in Lagos. Why do you think politicians are careful about rigging in Abuja?
Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by onuman: 12:22pm On Mar 27, 2023
OGHENAOGIE:
meaning tinubu can't set foot in Igboland right since he didn't even get 9 percent... See how foolish the argument sounds...
Tinubu through the expert vote rigger Supreme Court governor of Imo state got 25% of votes in Imo state.

Abuja is recognised in the Constitution as Federal Capital Territory, not a State. The characteristics of a Nigerian state is it has a state governor and state legislature. Abuja has neither state governor nor state legislator.
The president of Nigeria governs Abuja through the office of the boss of the Federal Capital territory.

The makers of the Constitution want a Nigerian presidential candidate to score 25% of votes of Abuja residents as a prerequisite to be welcome by residents of Abuja that the president governs.
Abuja as a state is only in the figments of imagination of whoever calls Abuja a state in order to achieve a devious goal.
Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by favor914: 12:23pm On Mar 27, 2023
Karlirk:

You are very daft or mischievous. Go and read the said sections. There is the use of EACH of ....AND FCT.

EACH and AND are particular words you must pay attention to.

There can never be thugs in the FCT, like you have in Lagos. Why do you think politicians are careful about rigging in Abuja?
In honesty you are the person actually very daft & mischievous.
Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by favor914: 12:23pm On Mar 27, 2023
onuman:

Tinubu through the expert vote rigger Supreme Court governor of Imo state got 25% of votes in Imo state.

Abuja is recognised in the Constitution as Federal Capital Territory, not a State. The characteristics of a Nigerian state is it has a state governor and state legislature. Abuja has neither state governor nor state legislator.
The president of Nigeria governs Abuja through the office of the boss of the Federal Capital territory.

The makers of the Constitution want a Nigerian presidential candidate to score 25% of votes of Abuja residents as a prerequisite to be welcome by residents of Abuja that the president governance.
Abuja as a state is only in the figments of imagination of whoever calls Abuja a state in order to achieve a devious goal.
Stop exhibiting your ignorance, all yea oblivious minded Ipobians, Abuja is considered the 37th state of the federation.

Nonsensical things gloating in their sheer ignorance.

2 Likes

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by Brendaniel: 12:23pm On Mar 27, 2023
favor914:

That is for a specific law on a specific matter not election....
Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by Brendaniel: 12:24pm On Mar 27, 2023
MightySparrow:

So you want to tell us the 25% of FCT can nullify the rest votes of the other 24 states or more…?

Let us keep watching. Brother.
No fight. I am Obidient but this legal thing call for big concern.

I don't believe anything can come of other than enriching the lawyers.

Yes....
Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by SIONKPO1(m): 12:25pm On Mar 27, 2023
Some of these Lawyers eeehhh *why doesn't FCT has its own Legislators *Why doesn't FCT have 3 Senatorial districts as other states
Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by favor914: 12:26pm On Mar 27, 2023
Brendaniel:

That is for a specific law on a specific matter not election....

How are just extremely ignorant which is never an excuse in law, if you read the paragraph thoroughly, you will see it ended with accordingly.

Which means that it affects every & any other part of the constitution.
Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by okuta007: 12:26pm On Mar 27, 2023
Brendaniel:
Abuja is not the 37th state...

Nigeria has 36 states and capital

FCT is not a State - FCT is not a State

we don’t have Governor of FCT
We have FCT Minister who is an appointee

of the president C-in-C

If Falana can prove we have a Federal Minister
For Lagos or any hotter State in Nigeria as of today- then I will concede to his arguments

And there is no title of Governor of FCT -he should shut up his wide mouth- Being a SAN does not make you an authority of reason and all knowing and I will prove my logic here right away.

How can have a President appointing a
Minister of the FCT and that President didn’t
score even 25% of the total vote cast in FCT ?

Does that make any sense to you - Now you may argue that a President becomes President without securing 25% of the votes in every state of the country - yes that’s true BECAUSE- there are state Governors in every state BUT the FCT is different - it has no Governor

where does that happen ? Have you see any
State Governor elected with less than 25% of
the total vote cast in that state ?

Until there is an election for the Governor of
the FCT to make it a state - Falana should keep
quiet - Old man having collected money talking anyhow from both sides of his mouth - in 1979 Lagos was considered a state and one of rhe 19 states because it has an elected Governor - even though it was Capital of Nigeria - there was a Governor - so there was no dispute there

However, in 1960 - Lagos was considered a Federal Capital Terrirory - although it was part of the Western Region - it was administered differently - hence it had the Minister for Lagos Affairs, Alhaji the Hon. Mohammed Ribadu, the father of former EFCC Boss Nuhu Ribadu - go and read your history and stop talking trash on Nairaland
Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by Karlirk: 12:27pm On Mar 27, 2023
favor914:
In honesty you are the person actually very daft & mischievous.

Unfortunately, they cannot change the Constitution to please anybody. Go and write it down and remember it on May 29th. It's never meant to be, if it is never meant to be. My sympathies.
Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by yusfatedeeprof(m): 12:27pm On Mar 27, 2023
Brendaniel:

Simple, meaning FCT Is not a state, if not it would have been covered when states was written in the constitution....
It's not a state but will be treated as a state for the purpose of election. Shey you wise like this?

Abuja is not a state, reason for the "and Abuja" in the constitution. Meaning that it's included as one of the place you can get your 25% from, like it is for the other 36 states of the federation.

You can get your 25% in any of the states and also in the Fct, Abuja.

1 Like

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by SmartyPants(m): 12:29pm On Mar 27, 2023
Brendaniel:

These are valid points but the fact is, that's just the way it is because of the peculairity of our federal system which is in many ways modelled after the US system. Taking that system as an example, Washington DC is the equivalent of our FCT, but they don't have a governor and the president doesn't require any special number of winning votes in DC either.

DC residents may not like it but that's how it is, and alternate arrangements would come with their own challenges. The same is true for us.
Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by Brendaniel: 12:29pm On Mar 27, 2023
yusfatedeeprof:

It's not a state but will be treated as a state for the purpose of election. Shey you wise like this?

Abuja is not a state reason for "and Abuja" meaning that it's included as one of the place you can get your 25% from like it is for other 36 states of the federation.

You can get your 25% in any of the states and also in the Fct, Abuja.

Where in the law did you see that says Abuja should be treated as a state because of election?
Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by onuman: 12:30pm On Mar 27, 2023
favor914:

Nonsensical things gloating in their sheer ignorance.

".... as if it were .."

How does "as if it were a state" mean "it is a state"?
They are obviously two different meanings.
Insulting, you see as bullying, can't win you an argument.
Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by favor914: 12:31pm On Mar 27, 2023
Brendaniel:

Simple, meaning FCT Is not a state, if not it would have been covered when states was written in the constitution....

Oblivious Obidients will see, but will still fail to believe. Mumus.

2 Likes

Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by benheaven(m): 12:34pm On Mar 27, 2023
FALANA IS WRONG. TELL ME THE TWO THIRD OF 37. YOU CAN'T BE A PRESIDENT AND LIVE IN AN AREA WHERE EVEN, ONE QUARTER
OF THE PEOPLE NEVER WANT YOU.
Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by Brendaniel: 12:35pm On Mar 27, 2023
SmartyPants:

These are valid points but the fact is, that's just the way it is because of the peculairity of our federal system which is in many ways modelled after the US system. Taking that system as an example, Washington DC is the equivalent of our FCT, but they don't have a governor and the president doesn't require any special number of winning votes in DC either.

DC residents may not like it but that's how it is, and alternate arrangements would come with their own challenges. The same is true for us.

That is why they have electoral college there, Hilary Clinton won majority votes but Trump was declared winner because he won the electoral college with a better spread.

That is what the FCT stands for here, it is like our electoral college..
Re: Votes Cast In All Parts Of Nigeria Are Equal, Abuja Taken As 37th State - Falana by onuman: 12:36pm On Mar 27, 2023
chukseric504869:
I don't even know why this issue is generating controversy just because of political interest ,people are now trying to turn white to black.even common sense should let us know that 25% ought not to be compulsory.if I may ask,are people living in Abuja more superior to other Nigerians in other state,do they have two heads?why must they be given a special consideration that one must got 25%before qualified to be president cos they are saints or what?mehn this issue is damn annoying me.so if one is not known in Abuja,he can never be president of this country even if he got spread across other states? Mehn let's make use of our God given sense .common sense should teach us that while Abuja is mention in that section of the constitution is to enable the 25% vote one get in Abuja to be considered as one of the states the person has gotten 25%

Abuja is where the president lives and governs through the boss of the Federal Capital territory.
The makers of the Constitution made getting 25% of the votes from residents of Abuja compulsory for every presidential candidate because one must get approval from the people one governs, so that the governance system will be with ease.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

NNPC Fuel Station On Fire At Adura Bus Stop Abeokuta Expressway (Photos) / Obasanjo Praying For Jonathan At The Villa Today (PICTURE) / Abu Al-Barnawi, Son Of Mohammed Yusuf, Named Jihadi Head

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.