Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,884 members, 7,828,140 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:42 AM

How Do I Behave Myself When I Go Abroad - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How Do I Behave Myself When I Go Abroad (28140 Views)

I'm Based In Lagos, This Is Where I Go When I Say I'm Going To The Village. / Why Do People Think When They Go Abroad They Would Make It ? / If You Earn 100k Monthly In Nigeria...will You Go Abroad And Leave The Job??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Behave Myself When I Go Abroad by Thegamingorca(m): 12:08am On Apr 28, 2023
1950Mack:
grin you're kidding right... yes you are... just read their law books na and abide strictly... no be everything you go carry come online... abi you just wan showoff... hmm... let village people hear... you no know say village people sef don de use internet ba... your aeroplane fit drink paraga for sky and begin misbehave if you no know grin

Lmfao

1 Like

Re: How Do I Behave Myself When I Go Abroad by Cassandraloius: 12:17am On Apr 28, 2023
Once you get there, your body go tell you, it will automatically adjust
Re: How Do I Behave Myself When I Go Abroad by uvie66: 12:24am On Apr 28, 2023
MrBrownJay1:

dont worry bro, by the time you receive ENOUGH fines/citations for your uncivilzed actions, you will quickly learn and start to behave like a civilized person.
....as Fela talk if you refuse to obey your school teacher or papa, Government go teach you lesson for Adulthood

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Behave Myself When I Go Abroad by thuxzwda1: 12:35am On Apr 28, 2023
Matrix137:
Dear Nairalanders, so I was born in Nigeria and have lived all my life in this country till this moment ( I'm 22 now). However, my aunt based in United States has offered to bring me to the country. Processing my documents already.

However I'm scared I may put me or her family in trouble when I get there cos America is a civilized country and I'm used to the crude ways and behaviors here which is already part of me and will likely replicate them in America which will surely put me in trouble with the law.

Behaviors like urination on the streets, throwing garbage on the road and many uncivilized behaviors too numerous to mention. So please how do I Behave myself over there. Thanks for reading.

Re: How Do I Behave Myself When I Go Abroad by thuxzwda1: 12:36am On Apr 28, 2023
Matrix137:
Dear Nairalanders, so I was born in Nigeria and have lived all my life in this country till this moment ( I'm 22 now). However, my aunt based in United States has offered to bring me to the country. Processing my documents already.

However I'm scared I may put me or her family in trouble when I get there cos America is a civilized country and I'm used to the crude ways and behaviors here which is already part of me and will likely replicate them in America which will surely put me in trouble with the law.

Behaviors like urination on the streets, throwing garbage on the road and many uncivilized behaviors too numerous to mention. So please how do I Behave myself over there. Thanks for reading.

U go hold dirty for pocket no worry.....nobody go teach u grin
Re: How Do I Behave Myself When I Go Abroad by Litmus: 12:50am On Apr 28, 2023
staga:

A night in county jail for any misdemeanor charge will straighten you out.

If a civilised American homo in the jail doesn't first straighten him out face down on the cell floor. smiley
Re: How Do I Behave Myself When I Go Abroad by Charx122: 12:52am On Apr 28, 2023
Matrix137:

By the time you enter jail 3 or 4 times nobody will teach you.
Re: How Do I Behave Myself When I Go Abroad by ukaface(f): 1:01am On Apr 28, 2023
Matrix137:

Advice:
When In Rome, behave like the Romans
Please emulate the good

Here in youkay, e no Dey hard me to identify Nigerians including me and my friends. We can be unnecessary loud….lol, but some Dey form ( me Dey form die)

You go Dey alrigh, all the best
Re: How Do I Behave Myself When I Go Abroad by OChimex: 1:25am On Apr 28, 2023
Matrix137:

Don’t be afraid village man, you will be fine. 100% of Nigeria, both educated and illiterate who have only lived their lives in Nigeria will be just like you village man when they move to developed countries because Nigeria is a village forest. Just observe people over time you will start behaving well.
But, you must behave well here when you come, if you urinate for street, na jail straight 😂
Re: How Do I Behave Myself When I Go Abroad by Litmus: 1:37am On Apr 28, 2023
Matrix137:

You'll also need to learn Neighbourhood Etiquette, civilised Americans no dey waste time wasting anyone wey find themselves in the wrong neighbourhood.
Re: How Do I Behave Myself When I Go Abroad by michaelbelgium(m): 1:46am On Apr 28, 2023
Matrix137:
F1 (student Visa)
Any serious student that has been issued visa wouldn't be asking this kind of dumb questions

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Behave Myself When I Go Abroad by raydboi(m): 1:55am On Apr 28, 2023
Bro what a soft life U got. shocked
I think you should have something planned out to engage in once you get there. Tech or stuff
Re: How Do I Behave Myself When I Go Abroad by deyplay: 2:02am On Apr 28, 2023
pansophist:
Westerners also urinate on the street sides, throw garbage around, spit on the road, shout, drink on the street, and walk shirtless. So your typical rugged behavior is not new, just that you should do it like once a year, maybe during carnival.

Just kidding. All in all, you will be alright. But don't shit on the roadside sha. Use toilet grin
U get am? He be like say u dey abroad self. Your advice is the realest
Re: How Do I Behave Myself When I Go Abroad by Sammy5413(m): 2:23am On Apr 28, 2023
Na ur type oyibo go see finish begin call us Black Monkeys
Re: How Do I Behave Myself When I Go Abroad by otipoju(m): 2:31am On Apr 28, 2023
Matrix137:

No bid deal.

1. Don't argue loudly with anyone. A lot of crazies and frustrated people, they can shoot you at the slightest provocation

2. Don't drink and drive ever. If you get into an accident you could end up in prison and get your license suspended for up to 3 years...you go enter bus tire.

3. Don't ever try to bribe anyone. Submit the required documents and you will get your response in good time.

4. Don't touch a female anyhow ...she can report you for sexual harassment and can land you in jail and your record tainted making it hard to get a job.

5. Don't push slap or beat anyone no matter the provocation. Except in self defense when the person touches you first. Battery and assault carry jail terms

6. If a female tells you no, just leave her alone ooo. Rape accusation has destroyed many young men's lives without redemption.

7. Mind your business and don't try to correct your neighbour's anyone's child oo..or even carry them unless na very close family.

8. If police stop you for a traffic violation when driving keep your hands where he can see and politely do as you are told. Don't try and bribe or resist arrest..if you are innocent you could get a good lawyer and sue and make good money.

9. Don't go and piss on the road in the street. A young Nigerian was shot dead in one of the hood's for doing this a few years back.

10. Don't go knocking on people that you don't know door's without invitation...some people will not ask you what you are looking for and will shoot you dead for tresspassing on their property.

Long and short, your record is your life..don't let any thing damage it...if not you many doors will be closed to you for a very very long time.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do I Behave Myself When I Go Abroad by bezimo(m): 2:42am On Apr 28, 2023
Matrix137:

Better adjust your mindset or change by choice or you will be forced to change by fines that you must pay or else..Lmao.

When I came to Canada for instance few years ago and got my DL and car, I dey drive anyhow..fast fast like I dey 9ja..when police hold me 2 times within a space of 3 months with fines back to back for speeding and not having correct insurance. It really affected my driver rating from positive into negative, which means I will pay almost double in insurance.

The second fine I say I no go pay..nothing dey happen..they go my work..instruct my employer to garnish my salary which is to remove that fine from my salary to pay the fine without my permission..Ah!

I received sense by force to calm down.Now I dey drive sofri sofri to speed limit, dey behave.

You think abroad is where you come and do anyhow..you will soon know how far!

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Behave Myself When I Go Abroad by Bankowner: 3:06am On Apr 28, 2023
Why are you worried?

This much I assure you, the moment you alight from the plane at the airport, your body will behave itself accordingly.
Re: How Do I Behave Myself When I Go Abroad by Desusi: 3:07am On Apr 28, 2023
Eunoiaa:

Now why this shit so funny. 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Africans are known for these attitudes. With time and with embarrassment here and there you would be okay.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do I Behave Myself When I Go Abroad by Desusi: 3:16am On Apr 28, 2023
1950Mack:
grin you're kidding right... yes you are... just read their law books na and abide strictly... no be everything you go carry come online... abi you just wan showoff... hmm... let village people hear... you no know say village people sef don de use internet ba... your aeroplane fit drink paraga for sky and begin misbehave if you no know grin
Abi ooo!He must truly be kidding. Na every issue you must bring to social media?. The first time l traveled, no one was informed among my friends even,my mummy. If at the airport, mysterious snake was sighted in your bag and you're deported, whom would you blame? Aye? Abi? Continue! I doubt your story self.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Behave Myself When I Go Abroad by HussenAdul: 3:18am On Apr 28, 2023
Ur aunt will give u orientation. Also the environment & atmosphere will tame u
Re: How Do I Behave Myself When I Go Abroad by tonicyril: 3:20am On Apr 28, 2023
bezimo:

Better adjust your mindset or change by choice or you will be forced to change by fines that you must pay or else..Lmao.

When I came to Canada for instance few years ago and got my DL and car, I dey drive anyhow..fast fast like I dey 9ja..when police hold me 2 times within a space of 3 months with fines back to back for speeding and not having correct insurance. It really affected my driver rating from positive into negative, which means I will pay almost double in insurance.

The second fine I say I no go pay..nothing dey happen..they go my work..instruct my employer to garnish my salary which is to remove that fine from my salary to pay the fine without my permission..Ah!

I received sense by force to calm down.Now I dey drive sofri sofri to speed limit, dey behave.

You think abroad is where you come and do anyhow..you will soon know how far!
grin grin grin

Bro pls are u still in canada?? I got some questions u can help me out with pls?
Re: How Do I Behave Myself When I Go Abroad by viodemus: 3:28am On Apr 28, 2023
If you notice, when you enter a very dirty car or go a dirty house or place, everything na throw for ground, but when you go a very clean house or enter a very clean car, na you go dey hold or pocket your thrash until you see dustbin. Basically, due to difference in mentality, you go adjust. Some places and situations go still remind you of Nigeria (Anyhow kind of way).

Go there, read about many trades and start aiming to accomplish the one you think will work for you You might not get the opportunity to learn as you work and get paid on your ideal trade or career immediately, so you will have to work at other fields, until you can get in your ideal career. You said it was a student visa, so your job prospects are limited ontop the general local job market prospect; Prepare your mind for longevity, because your accomplishments timing might be far or near, when far -- you might feel bothered about the lack of ability to help out at home there or in your aunt's house. Don't get into police issues, because that will affect you now and in the future as long as you are in that country.

Overall, Goodluck in all your endeavors. It's a new chapter.
Re: How Do I Behave Myself When I Go Abroad by viodemus: 3:41am On Apr 28, 2023
viodemus:
If you notice, when you enter a very dirty car or go a dirty house or place, everything na throw for ground, but when you go a very clean house or enter a very clean car, na you go dey hold or pocket your thrash until you see dustbin. Basically, due to difference in mentality, you go adjust. Some places and situations go still remind you of Nigeria (Anyhow kind of way).

Go there, read about many trades and start aiming to accomplish the one you think will work for you You might not get the opportunity to learn as you work and get paid on your ideal trade or career immediately, so you will have to work at other fields, until you can get in your ideal career. You said it was a student visa, so your job prospects are limited ontop the general local job market prospect; Prepare your mind for longevity, because your accomplishments timing might be far or near, when far -- you might feel bothered about the lack of ability to help out at home there or in your aunt's house. Don't get into police issues, because that will affect you now and in the future as long as you are in that country.

Overall, Goodluck in all your endeavors. It's a new chapter, embrace it.

I accidentally post twice.
Re: How Do I Behave Myself When I Go Abroad by reservd(m): 4:35am On Apr 28, 2023
Matrix137:
That's what I'm trying to avoid and also problems with the police.
It's funny that you know your actions are uncivilized yet you continue doing them, why because anything goes in naija right? If at 22 you haven't taken upon your self to start acting right especially the ones you mentioned, you will learn by force when you eventually get over there

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Behave Myself When I Go Abroad by FireUpNow(m): 4:36am On Apr 28, 2023
Don't cross the bridge before you get to the bridge boy! Kindly get to the bridge first before thinking of crossing it. When you are in Rome you behave like a Roman. You will adapt upon getting there. Don't be afraid of what is going to happen, Believe in God and pray and also let the hard situation in Nigeria train you to behave well when you get there. Shalom

1 Like

Re: How Do I Behave Myself When I Go Abroad by frozen70(f): 4:55am On Apr 28, 2023
Matrix137:

Its up to you to behave decently or behave in an unruly manner

Start now to adjust so that you can adopt to your new life style when you get there

They don't tolerate nonsense there and especially abuses on women
Re: How Do I Behave Myself When I Go Abroad by yusman14(m): 5:10am On Apr 28, 2023
Please do you have the idea of the amount your aunt spent for the processing and everything?
Re: How Do I Behave Myself When I Go Abroad by Mozegee: 5:26am On Apr 28, 2023
Matrix137:

. Can you please tell me how you were able to get your appointment date here in nija and how did it take
Re: How Do I Behave Myself When I Go Abroad by highoctane: 5:29am On Apr 28, 2023
Matrix137:
That's what I'm trying to avoid and also problems with the police.
Police everywhere is YOUR friend.
Why avoid them?
Re: How Do I Behave Myself When I Go Abroad by Elegantus: 5:40am On Apr 28, 2023
ednut1:
Your aunty got you which visa What visa class Keep deceiving yaself

No mind the liar.
Re: How Do I Behave Myself When I Go Abroad by Image123(m): 5:41am On Apr 28, 2023
Look before you leap though, not all that glitters is gold.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Advice On Studying In Poland / Cuba Plane Boeing 737 Crashes Near Havana Airport / South Africa Shuts Consulate In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.